OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Have had a crazy retro moment this evening and have a mint Rollei 3001 on its way with HFT Planar 50mm F1.8. Iam having this delivered to work and iam currently working out how to bring this one into the fold. (basically without the wife knowing )

Oh dear... not sure how the domestic situation will pan out, but I believe @Fraser Euan White might be the right chap to talk to about the use of this make and model of camera. Chin up Todders, there's a good chap. ;)

Oh dear... not sure how the domestic situation will pan out, but I believe @Fraser Euan White might be the right chap to talk to about the use of this make and model of camera. Chin up Todders, there's a good chap. ;)

Iam hoping to bring the subject with our takeaway tonight whilst my good lady is distracted with saturday night tv :)

Last edited:
When asked if the camera is new simply respond with the classic phrase "What this old thing? No I've had it for ages" Works every time (y)

When asked if the camera is new simply respond with the classic phrase "What this old thing? No I've had it for ages" Works every time (y)

Yep the tried and tested method, i will make out iam struggling getting the thing working. Bloody film cameras they a real pain :)

I have 52 (ish) film cameras and Bestbeloved shows no interest in them - and no reason why she should. If I sit on the sofa fiddling with a 'new' one she will invariably mention that she has never seen that one before. Even I cannot immediately recognise all my cameras. She is amazing.

I've just bought a Nikonos 1. I think the lens looks like a later lens as all of the pictures I've seen of Nikonos I and II have a silver outer ring but the Nikonos III lens was all black. The camera serial is 904570.IMG_20190928_180035.jpg

Canon Sureshot Supreme arrived yesterday as a bit of an eBay punt. It works just fine and the short test roll of Foma 100 shows some nice sharp images! Now I have a film camera I can give to someone else and they can use it!

Canon Sureshot Supreme arrived yesterday as a bit of an eBay punt. It works just fine and the short test roll of Foma 100 shows some nice sharp images! Now I have a film camera I can give to someone else and they can use it!
They're not a bad little camera and beginning to pick up in price too, presumably for their banana-shaped retro look. :giggle:

They're not a bad little camera and beginning to pick up in price too, presumably for their banana-shaped retro look. :giggle:
Indeed. And my around-a-tenner price was very satisfying for a change. 38mm f2.8 glass lens. Shame the wind on sounds like a fart.

Indeed. And my around-a-tenner price was very satisfying for a change. 38mm f2.8 glass lens. Shame the wind on sounds like a fart.
Neither of mine sound like a whoopee cushion, more a higher pitched whiney whirr. Are you sure the battery isn't going flat? :cautious:

I recently put a film through my F5. Lovely piece of kit, mine too is in very good order though signs of heavy use around the hinges etc.

Just use it!

^^WHS^^

Use the darned thing.
I'm pleased to hear that by the sounds of it you have picked up a nice copy, however, if it is so minty then it obviously has barely seen what I consider to be proper use. ( that's used, not abused!)
You could go down the same route, wrap it in a silk scarf, only take it out wearing clean lint free cotton gloves, never place it down on a hard / rough surface, or even simply put it in a glass, air tight, germ free cabinet and leave it to die like so many cameras!:rolleyes:

Took delivery today of a *very* tidy F5. So happy to finally have one again after selling my first one years ago :)

View attachment 256838

Glad to see you got a good one you waited for the right one to come along. Now you can enjoy using it.

I’m in two minds. On the one hand, yes I agree, it was made to be used and not admired sat on a shelf. At the same time, why risk it? They’re not made any more, there are a finite number in existence and damaging it will only devalue it, for no benefit over using an already worn and battered one.

I also don’t see the logic. Preserving it is letting it die?

I’m on the fence at the moment. :/

Last edited:
With most mechanical objects, light, but reasonably regular use is probably best as it keeps things from seizing up, drive belts from developing position 'memory', etc. That's why I try to remember to fire a few shots at different shutter speeds at least once a year on all my functioning cameras. It's a bit like owning a valuable classic car, take it out for a gentle run when the weather is nice and enjoy the experience but don't get too precious about it... after all, you could leave it at home to protect it and end up getting burgled while you're out!

I’m in two minds. On the one hand, yes I agree, it was made to be used and not admired sat on a shelf. At the same time, why risk it? They’re not made any more, there are a finite number in existence and damaging it will only devalue it, for no benefit over using an already worn and battered one.

I've recently been using my F80 which was my "best" camera at over £500 when I bought it. That meant I never took it out in dodgy weather, near a beach, or anywhere else it might get "damaged", but I had my cheaper Konicas that got used on all these occasions. The F80 is now a sticky Nikon worth about £40, so I've possibly missed out on its abilities over many years. Your F5 is a pro quality camera designed to be used in testing conditions, so it should be well able to handle your shooting Jonathan. Go shoot with it! :snaphappy:

The logic is if it's "preserved" in a cotton wool environment ( for want of a better expressioon) is it going to be used as in used like it was manufactured for as a photography capturing tool.
damaging it will only devalue it,
No mention was made ( that I'm aware of) about damaging it ....Using it ,yes, blatantly abusing or damaging it, no!

I've recently been using my F80 which was my "best" camera at over £500 when I bought it. That meant I never took it out in dodgy weather, near a beach, or anywhere else it might get "damaged", but I had my cheaper Konicas that got used on all these occasions. The F80 is now a sticky Nikon worth about £40, so I've possibly missed out on its abilities over many years. Your F5 is a pro quality camera designed to be used in testing conditions, so it should be well able to handle your shooting Jonathan. Go shoot with it! :snaphappy:

I think Peters experience says all that needs to be said tbh!
It is howver individual choice but I just hope the camera gets to see plenty of daylight and exercises all it's cogs on a regular basis.

One of life's little treats for you there, I hope you enjoy using it. Don't forget to show us some of your photos. (y)

Thanks, certainly will (y)
Very nice!

I have the 7artisans 35mm lens on my M2, very happy with it. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks. I've tried it on my M10 but not enthusiastic, the 50mm Voigtlander I have for that is so much sharper. I guess it may well work better with film

How do you like it on your M2.

Thanks, certainly will (y)

Thanks. I've tried it on my M10 but not enthusiastic, the 50mm Voigtlander I have for that is so much sharper. I guess it may well work better with film

How do you like it on your M2.
Not as sharp as my 50mm Summicron but perfectly fine for me.

I've added an F4 and an F100 to my collection today. I was in Leeds and dropped into West Yorkshire Cameras and after a long time checking out their stock left with this F4. It's obviously seen some use but works perfectly.

The F100 was waiting when I got home, another eBay buy. The lens came from WY Cameras too.OIP00023.jpg

I've added an F4 and an F100 to my collection today. I was in Leeds and dropped into West Yorkshire Cameras and after a long time checking out their stock left with this F4. It's obviously seen some use but works perfectly.

The F100 was waiting when I got home, another eBay buy. The lens came from WY Cameras too.View attachment 257361
I bet you've got more cameras in stock than they have now! :giggle:

I bet you've got more cameras in stock than they have now! :giggle:
I have more variety, I don't have an EL2, F, F2, FE2, FM3a or S2 though. They were some of the cameras I was considering. Maybe the FM3a and S2 would've been out of my price range, I didn't ask the price on those.

This camera, a Konica IIIa, came into my possession today. It's case is a bit tatty but it works well. It came with a small case with a Konihood, lens cap and import documentation from 1958 tucked down at the bottom.

It seems to be written in pencil and has survived over 60 years. The camera was valued at £31 6s 8d and the import duty was £25 1s 4d. A lot of money in 1958.IMG_20191012_150754.jpgIMG_20191012_152108.jpg

Cambo monorail camera arrived, forgotten how large a monorail is but it's for the studio/shed/shop so doesn't really matter. Should be ideal for the close up shots I'm planning on.

Cambo monorail camera arrived, forgotten how large a monorail is but it's for the studio/shed/shop so doesn't really matter. Should be ideal for the close up shots I'm planning on.

Excellent!
Don’t forget to allow exposure compensation for bellows extension if you’re racking out longer than the lens focal length!

Back