OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but...

A recently took delivery of the 1959 Photography Annual magazine. Here is some stuff from it.

IMG_1491 copy.jpg

Headline article...

IMG_1492 copy.jpg

Fore example...

IMG_1495 copy.jpg

Later in the book (not Eugene Smith). I think this shot is exceptional, except for the intrusive bookmark.

IMG_1497 copy.jpg

On the back cover, something more prosaic.

IMG_1500 copy.jpg

If you don't have a roll in your camera tomorrow, you are behind the times!

Last edited:
My brother lent me a collection of 24 1980's copies of Camerawork.
I have the first 6 issues of SLR Camera magazine.

I bought the second issue when it appeared at a Hampstead newsagent in July 1967. It took me more than 50 years to finally get the first issue and the other four showed up in between.,,

SLR Magazine 1st issue.jpg

I got a Canon Sure Shot around 1990 as a present. I've since bought a few more over the years. In the 90's I really wanted a "modern" SLR but couldn't afford one - 25-30 years later I've bought one . In fully automatic mode it's the ultimate Sure Shot :)

View attachment 376621
I've been looking for a wide angle prime for this but current funds don't allow. I'll give this a try for now to get me to 35mm. Only £23.

IMG_20230125_221306927_HDR.jpg

It also came with all this plus the original manual. Test roll in. All seems in immaculate condition.

IMG_20230125_221655895_HDR.jpg

I'm v pleased so far. Although you can rattle through a film with one of these, probably the closest I'll ever get to digital :)

Erm 35mm for a WA o_O , if you can find the money a Canon FDn 20mm is a nice lens.....took a gamble on the bay (about 2 years ago) buying one for £70 with fungus, lucky me it was just tiny fungus on the front element on the periphery and killed it off by putting the lens facing the sun for killing UV rays. But unlucky at the bootie though as a FD Canon 19mm for £12 has a fault in that some of the scene is OOF and can't find anyone to recalibrate it using special equiptment.....too old even for UK Canon.

Erm 35mm for a WA o_O , if you can find the money a Canon FDn 20mm is a nice lens.....took a gamble on the bay (about 2 years ago) buying one for £70 with fungus, lucky me it was just tiny fungus on the front element on the periphery and killed it off by putting the lens facing the sun for killing UV rays. But unlucky at the bootie though as a FD Canon 19mm for £12 has a fault in that some of the scene is OOF and can't find anyone to recalibrate it using special equiptment.....too old even for UK Canon.
Yes I know 35mm isn't much at all but it will give me a bit of leeway. It's a EF mount AF wide angle lens I'm after. It doesn't have to be Canon but AF is a must so that rules out FD. I'm in no rush to buy one, it's more of a wish list. Same goes for a 45mm for my C330 which are even more money, again that goes on the wishlist...

Now maybe if I stop spending 23 quids on other EOS stuff I'd get my wishlist quicker but there you go. I haven't done bad at all (in fact it's been v good) for new to me cameras and equipment in the last 3 months. I'm thoroughly enjoying whatever I already have :)

Yes I know 35mm isn't much at all but it will give me a bit of leeway. It's a EF mount AF wide angle lens I'm after. It doesn't have to be Canon but AF is a must so that rules out FD. I'm in no rush to buy one, it's more of a wish list. Same goes for a 45mm for my C330 which are even more money, again that goes on the wishlist...

Now maybe if I stop spending 23 quids on other EOS stuff I'd get my wishlist quicker but there you go. I haven't done bad at all (in fact it's been v good) for new to me cameras and equipment in the last 3 months. I'm thoroughly enjoying whatever I already have :)
For my two EOS 300s I have one the same as you but picked another one up that was 28-90mm, mind you as a kit lens I don't expect the same sharpness etc as my prime lenses from 28mm onwards

My latest: an Olympus XA + A11 flash.

It'll be a bit of a sketchbook camera that I keep on me all the time, and it'll complement my medium format/LF kit with adding much extra weight/take up much space compared to the usual FM2 body.

View attachment 382636
Nice. (y) I had a couple of those over the years before digital, I think that bone is the best of the range. These days my sketchbook camera/framing device is a Leica D-Lux Typ109 but it works well and I can see the framing instantly so I can decide on my composition etc before getting the Bronica out of the bag. That 24-75mm (equiv) lens covers all but 1 of my Bronica FLs just not the 40mm.

My latest: an Olympus XA + A11 flash.

It'll be a bit of a sketchbook camera that I keep on me all the time, and it'll complement my medium format/LF kit with adding much extra weight/take up much space compared to the usual FM2 body.

View attachment 382636
Like Paul I’ve had a couple of them , different models .

One of the better pocket p&s cameras imo.

The clamshell lens cover being particularly handy , not only for protecting the lens but iirc it locks the shutter mechanism too.

Enjoy!

Nice. (y) I had a couple of those over the years before digital, I think that bone is the best of the range. These days my sketchbook camera/framing device is a Leica D-Lux Typ109 but it works well and I can see the framing instantly so I can decide on my composition etc before getting the Bronica out of the bag. That 24-75mm (equiv) lens covers all but 1 of my Bronica FLs just not the 40mm.

Yeah I use a Ricoh GR and my iPhone 13 Pro for a similar purpose but sometimes I just want to make handprints of the sketches and I can never get the digi colours quite the same (and making B/W fibre prints is a whole different look).

Like Paul I’ve had a couple of them , different models .

One of the better pocket p&s cameras imo.

The clamshell lens cover being particularly handy , not only for protecting the lens but iirc it locks the shutter mechanism too.

Enjoy!

I got to use it on a road trip to Wales yesterday and I really enjoyed using it. The controls are quite intuitive once you sort out your hand placement. I especially like how the viewfinder scale corresponds to the travel on the aperture selector - want to use a slower speed (lower on the scale)? Just slide the selector down. The focusing direction matches my Leica's as well which is great.

If the metering is good enough I can see myself bringing the XA along instead of my Sekonic L308 - they're pretty much the same size and the aperture/shutter range matches my LF/MF kits.

I got a Kodak Retinette 1A, an Agfa Super Silette, a Balda Baldina, a Voigtlander Vito Automatic (early one) and a GB Kershaw 450, and all for £12.50 including postage. The Balda isn't going to work. The others are all good, though the Voigtlander has a crack in the viewfinder. The Kershaw looks brand new.

A new 3D printed cassette for my Mamiya 16 Automatic.
50E329FD-BEAD-4D90-81BE-F55A1F4A02B9.jpeg
6269B573-BB8D-485A-9500-1895F6D5272C.jpeg
Thanks to @auntiemaryscanary for the heads-up about the chap selling them on Ebay in his post here. The covers for each spool compartment in the cassette have a raised ridge on the inside (blue arrow) which locates in a groove in the cassette body (green arrow) which keeps the caps in position without having to use tape - really neat!
7D4B852E-1A87-4545-9690-B151DE3DAF95.jpegE997D9A9-B251-4F5F-9D45-82E61DAD6BBD.jpeg
I've got some velvet so may try and put some on as a light seal for the film entry/exit.

A new 3D printed cassette for my Mamiya 16 Automatic.
View attachment 383477
View attachment 383476
Thanks to @auntiemaryscanary for the heads-up about the chap selling them on Ebay in his post here. The covers for each spool compartment in the cassette have a raised ridge on the inside (blue arrow) which locates in a groove in the cassette body (green arrow) which keeps the caps in position without having to use tape - really neat!
View attachment 383479View attachment 383478
I've got some velvet so may try and put some on as a light seal for the film entry/exit.
Pleased you found him. In my dealings with him for Minolta 16 cassettes he was extremely helpful.

Hats off to him as well for developing and making something that is only going to be a niche product - even more so than Minolta 16's.

I got a mint condition v700 from gumtree this week. Need to clear some space on my desk and get through my back log!
Epson V700 scanner I assume.
Yesterday I had mine stripped down to clean deposits off the underside of the bottom glass. If you need to do the same it is just four small screws covered with black caps, each cap has a little arrow on, to remove them use a small pick on the side the arrow points away from.
Cleaning it is a every other year event for me despite returning it to its original packaging after each use.

Thanks for the information. I'll clean mine when I get a chance. It has been a workhorse of a scanner, I've scanned thousands of my negatives and slides as well as other peoples negatives and slides.

And, like you suggest, U keep it in its original box, with the scanning mechanism locked, between scanning sessions.

Reactions: zx9
This camera is very handsome in black, and looks fabulous.

I took my Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT2 as a spare, and a few lenses on holiday to Northumberland a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful, solidly built mechanical cameras, such a pleasure to use. The Nikomat body was serviced but the other camera body works almost as well, despite being at least 46 years old. I metered hand held but I've no reason to suspect that the camera meters don't work. I mainly used a 50mm f2 lens, it can hardly be faulted, but I also used the 35mm f2.8 which is also fabulous.

I decided before going away to concentrate on 35mm so I also took my Canon F1 and some lenses. Unfortunately the F1 body is playing up a bit, the mirror tends to stick up (not to the detriment of the pictures it has to be said), so I moved over to the Nikon after only one film was taken using the Canon. The F1 will need a service I think.

This camera is very handsome in black, and looks fabulous.

I took my Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT2 as a spare, and a few lenses on holiday to Northumberland a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful, solidly built mechanical cameras, such a pleasure to use. The Nikomat body was serviced but the other camera body works almost as well, despite being at least 46 years old. I metered hand held but I've no reason to suspect that the camera meters don't work. I mainly used a 50mm f2 lens, it can hardly be faulted, but I also used the 35mm f2.8 which is also fabulous.

I decided before going away to concentrate on 35mm so I also took my Canon F1 and some lenses. Unfortunately the F1 body is playing up a bit, the mirror tends to stick up (not to the detriment of the pictures it has to be said), so I moved over to the Nikon after only one film was taken using the Canon. The F1 will need a service I think.
’Solid’ is certainly the word that comes to mind when I pick up the Nikkormat and, like you, I have two. I bought the second, an earlier FT2, from the same retailer a few years later, presumably so that I could have one for colour and one for B&W. I used it to take the photo above with my original 50mm f2 lens. The Nikkormat was always the poor relation to the Nikon F, but I think it was also generally reckoned to have been the nicer handling camera. The truth is I’m enjoying it now as much as I did 40 years ago.

Last edited:
A few 16mm items bought over the last couple of weeks.

IMG_20230319_104954127.jpg

"Minolta 16 guide" updated version of 1973. Not just a nice little book on Minolta 16's but also lays out exposure, aperture, film speed etc in an accessible way.

Universal 3 tank. The reel accepts 16mm.

Minolta 16 PS with case, instruction manual plus a film cassette and cassette case. The C41 film from the cassette is now in the Universal 3 and I'll attempt to stand develop in B&W chems later.

The cassette has been reloaded with Delta 100 and will be used in the PS today.

Got this 1958 Ricoh DIACORD L from an online auction (Flints Auctions 'The Collectors Sale' 25th March). It's the first time I done that.

1681292779054.jpeg

Boxed with working shutter and light meter (not sure how accurate) and a case. I'm just about to load a film in it and take some pictures, although maybe I'll wait until tomorrow as the weather is dismal today.

I actually registered for the auction to bid on a Rolleiflex Standard which looked very clean and was declared to have a working shutter, guide price £40-60. I set myself a maximum bid of £70 but it went for quite a bit more. I bought the Ricoh on the rebound. The hammer price was £45 and I was aware of the 30%! buyer's premium which included VAT. What I wasn't aware of was the shipping, £26.33 (including insurance but excluding VAT), so I ended up paying about £90. Still I think I got it for a decent price overall, considering the condition. By the way it is a very solidly built camera, heavier than my Rolleicord by a long way.

As an extra bonus it had an exposed roll of Konica Minolta Centuria Super 100 in it so it will be interesting to see what is on it.

I got one of these plus scanning fluid and mylar sheets.

b12b818-b12b818272_png

And where could I find such a thing?
They are available for purchase from Epson uk and other sources.
I got mine free as I bought an Epson V850 pro.
I'm just about to upload my first scanned images using it.
If you're interested in the results, check out the "Show us your film shots" thread in a day or two.

Got this 1958 Ricoh DIACORD L from an online auction (Flints Auctions 'The Collectors Sale' 25th March). It's the first time I done that.

View attachment 386358

Boxed with working shutter and light meter (not sure how accurate) and a case. I'm just about to load a film in it and take some pictures, although maybe I'll wait until tomorrow as the weather is dismal today.

I actually registered for the auction to bid on a Rolleiflex Standard which looked very clean and was declared to have a working shutter, guide price £40-60. I set myself a maximum bid of £70 but it went for quite a bit more. I bought the Ricoh on the rebound. The hammer price was £45 and I was aware of the 30%! buyer's premium which included VAT. What I wasn't aware of was the shipping, £26.33 (including insurance but excluding VAT), so I ended up paying about £90. Still I think I got it for a decent price overall, considering the condition. By the way it is a very solidly built camera, heavier than my Rolleicord by a long way.

As an extra bonus it had an exposed roll of Konica Minolta Centuria Super 100 in it so it will be interesting to see what is on it.

So far so good. Comparing the meter with my Sekonic I would say it is near enough as I'm pretty sure the acceptance angle of the Sekonic (in reflected light mode) is probably quite different to the Ricoh. The light meter isn't coupled so you have to measure the light value using the dual range meter and transfer that to the coupled shutter speed and aperture window. Altogether it's pretty fiddly and the readouts are quite small, a challenge to read without having more than one pair of different strength reading glasses, or maybe three. That's just my eyesight though.

I loaded the film without any issues and the frame counter has stopped in the appropriate place. The viewfinder is nice and clear, the focussing hood pops up and down perfectly, all mechanically sound. I found a user manual on the usual site so I must revisit there and pay my dues.

Technical:
Hasselblad 503cx plus 80mm CF lens.
Kodak Portra 160.
Developed in my kitchen sink with Cinestill C41 powder kit.
Scanned using an Epson V850 pro, fluid mount, Kami scanning fluid and Mylar sheets.
Location being Southsea Seafront.

funfair.JPG

LOL. I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread.
Thanks for the likes though.

Moddy people, please feel free to move this to the "show us your film shots" thread.

Latest acquisitions:
Ah! The Pentax S3.

It's relatively uncommon in Britain. I've owned several screw mount Pentaxes from the S1a to the Spotmatic ES but I've never handled the S3. That one looks nice.

Thanks! I'm still waiting on a lens so haven’t been able to run any film through it yet. Looking forward to taking it out though, my first SLR (back in the 70s) was a Spotmatic 500 so it’s like coming home. As the ads said “Just hold an Asahi Pentax”.

Back