OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

OMG more Hasselblad gear.

shopping
Not seen one like that before ????

Not seen one like that before ????
That is a Hasselblad 503cw, one of the last ever made.
I picked it up today and was thrilled to find it was "as new" in its original box with brand new original strap.
To say I'm made up would be an understatement.

Fully P&S loaded, 5 Ricoh XF30-E’s nearly ready for a little analogue challenge in th Jakes in a few weeks, just need to change the light seals and they’ll be ready to go. F8848F90-DCE2-4E9C-B00D-1F51CF6133AD.jpeg

"
A new 3D printed cassette for my Mamiya 16 Automatic.
View attachment 383477
View attachment 383476
Thanks to @auntiemaryscanary for the heads-up about the chap selling them on Ebay in his post here. The covers for each spool compartment in the cassette have a raised ridge on the inside (blue arrow) which locates in a groove in the cassette body (green arrow) which keeps the caps in position without having to use tape - really neat!
View attachment 383479View attachment 383478
I've got some velvet so may try and put some on as a light seal for the film entry/exit.
In addition to "thumbs up" can the mods please add a "want" emoji? Thanks
Do you know if the files are online?

That is a Hasselblad 503cw, one of the last ever made.
I picked it up today and was thrilled to find it was "as new" in its original box with brand new original strap.
To say I'm made up would be an understatement.
That Hasselblad looks really nice, I'm suffering from FOMO being a Mamiya user and may have to succumb to a Hasselblad - if I can sneak it past the wife!
But the point of my post, there are so many 500 models, any you should avoid, or really look for that do not cost a bomb?

That Hasselblad looks really nice, I'm suffering from FOMO being a Mamiya user and may have to succumb to a Hasselblad - if I can sneak it past the wife!
But the point of my post, there are so many 500 models, any you should avoid, or really look for that do not cost a bomb?
Here is a quick guide to the different V system bodies and what they will or will not do:

Here is a breakdown of the variants available on the market today –

• Hasselblad 500C – 1957-1970 : Accepts all accessories, focusing screens can only be switched out by a technician.
  • Hasselblad 500 C/M – 1970-1994 : “M” denotes the ability to modify the camera system. Added the ability to quickly switch out the focusing screens to brighter models, different grids, specialty screens, etc.
  • Hasselblad 503 C/X – 1988-1994 : Added an internal TTL flash meter, as well as a “Palpas” coating to eliminate internal reflections. Came as standard with the improved Acute Matte focusing screen.
  • Hasselblad 501 C – 1994-1997 : An all-black variant that was sold as a complete kit, with an A12 magazine and 80mm C lens. Confusingly this C lens is actually a CF designation, not the older C-type lenses that were originally released with the 500 C.
  • Hasselblad 503 C/W – 1996-2013 : Came equipped with a “Gliding Mirror System” which prevented viewfinder blackout with telephoto lenses. Came with the Acute Matte D screen, the final and best evolution of the focusing screens. Compatible with the Winder CW for those who need to shoot fast (with their slow cameras).
  • Hasselblad 501 C/M – 1997-2005 : Equipped with Acute Matte D screen. Winder CW system compatible.

Latest from Ebay - no brand 43.5mm filter on left (which fits my Olympus 35RC) and a no brand Bay I filter (for my old Rollei Automat).IMG_7520.jpeg

They are all much the same.
The only one I'd avoid would be the 500C as the screens are not interchangeable.
Only three models can accept the Winder CW in addition to the two listed above which is the 503CXi
I use a winder on my camera as it makes for a much more comfortable shooting experience, plus it negates the need for a cable release.

Last edited:
Here is a quick guide to the different V system bodies and what they will or will not do:

Here is a breakdown of the variants available on the market today –

• Hasselblad 500C – 1957-1970 : Accepts all accessories, focusing screens can only be switched out by a technician.
  • Hasselblad 500 C/M – 1970-1994 : “M” denotes the ability to modify the camera system. Added the ability to quickly switch out the focusing screens to brighter models, different grids, specialty screens, etc.
  • Hasselblad 503 C/X – 1988-1994 : Added an internal TTL flash meter, as well as a “Palpas” coating to eliminate internal reflections. Came as standard with the improved Acute Matte focusing screen.
  • Hasselblad 501 C – 1994-1997 : An all-black variant that was sold as a complete kit, with an A12 magazine and 80mm C lens. Confusingly this C lens is actually a CF designation, not the older C-type lenses that were originally released with the 500 C.
  • Hasselblad 503 C/W – 1996-2013 : Came equipped with a “Gliding Mirror System” which prevented viewfinder blackout with telephoto lenses. Came with the Acute Matte D screen, the final and best evolution of the focusing screens. Compatible with the Winder CW for those who need to shoot fast (with their slow cameras).
  • Hasselblad 501 C/M – 1997-2005 : Equipped with Acute Matte D screen. Winder CW system compatible.
The "Palpas" coating was Hasselblads worst idea ever.
Every single camera with it now shows the coating to be cracked.
Whilst it makes no difference to the function of the camera it is a little off putting for potential buyers.

The "Palpas" coating was Hasselblads worst idea ever.
Every single camera with it now shows the coating to be cracked.
Whilst it makes no difference to the function of the camera it is a little off putting for potential buyers.

I agree completely about the "Palpas" coating, but, if potential buyers research the models available as they should , then they would find out that as you say, there is
no detrimental effect on the cameras operation.

Last edited:
There's one inaccuracy on that list - the 501cm can't take winders.

In terms of value for money, any of the motorised bodies will cost less than their non-motorised equivalents. Of course, they are bigger, heavier, and noisier.

After much trading and a fair amount of cash I finally have my dream camera.
Hasselblad 503cw 3200 iso, 80mm CFE, and A12 plus A16 Backs (latest types).
All of this appears un-used.
Oddly I now have a spare 80mm CF lens, Acute matte D screen and brand new genuine Hasselblad neck strap.
Hasselblad owners, watch the for sale section!

Hassy jpeg1.JPG

Hassy jpeg3.JPG Hassy jpeg4.JPG
Hassy jpeg5.JPG

There's one inaccuracy on that list - the 501cm can't take winders.

In terms of value for money, any of the motorised bodies will cost less than their non-motorised equivalents. Of course, they are bigger, heavier, and noisier.
That is correct about the winder. My achieve notes say 501cm as well so obviously wrong.

Last edited:
Not "new" as such, but I found this Ricoh KR-10 Super in the garage. I'd forgotten I had it, probably because it didn't work, but after messing around with it for 5 minutes it seems to be alive again. :)

I don't really need another 35mm SLR, but it's another camera I can use with my Pentax lenses, and I can manually set the film speed with this, something my Pentax P30T doesn't allow.

PSX_20230425_153720.jpg

Looking in the for sale section for the genuine Hasselblad neck strap.
Not seen one for sale yet ?

Can yo
Ooh dear, I seem to have acquired yet another format...

View attachment 387579

I would have preferred an A (iii or iiis) but I couldn't find one at the right price. But a B came along in a very good condition so that's what I've got.
Can you still get film for that?

Not "new" as such, but I found this Ricoh KR-10 Super in the garage. I'd forgotten I had it, probably because it didn't work, but after messing around with it for 5 minutes it seems to be alive again. :)

I don't really need another 35mm SLR, but it's another camera I can use with my Pentax lenses, and I can manually set the film speed with this, something my Pentax P30T doesn't allow.

View attachment 387569

Very good camera in its day - a good rival to the ME Super.

View attachment 387569
Shutter speeds to 16 seconds, too! Are they anywhere near accurate?

I've a vague feeling there's something strange about the lens attachment that means some Pentax lenses can get stuck (or it might be Rikenon lenses on a Pentax body?)...

Last edited:
Ah! The Pentax S3.

It's relatively uncommon in Britain. I've owned several screw mount Pentaxes from the S1a to the Spotmatic ES but I've never handled the S3. That one looks nice.
For me as a flasher o_O the S3 doesn't have a hot or cold shoe, also had to use a Pentax exposure meter attachment that fitted on the camera, but now and again still use mine (using another camera for exposure readings as the Pentax one died many moons ago).

Last edited:
For me as a flasher o_O the S3 doesn't have a hot or cold shoe,
I'll go out on a limb here and guess the S3 will use the slide-on cold shoe that fits the S1a and the SV. There was a time when every camera shop "odds 'n' sods" box had at least one marked up at £1.

After much trading and a fair amount of cash I finally have my dream camera.
Hasselblad 503cw 3200 iso, 80mm CFE, and A12 plus A16 Backs (latest types).
All of this appears un-used.
Oddly I now have a spare 80mm CF lens, Acute matte D screen and brand new genuine Hasselblad neck strap.
Hasselblad owners, watch the for sale section!

View attachment 387276

View attachment 387277 View attachment 387278
View attachment 387279

Looks really nice - can I ask why Hasselblad?

Looks really nice - can I ask why Hasselblad?
Good question.
First and foremost they are all mechanical and can still be repaired.
Secondly, I think they look brilliant and scream quality. The design is truly iconic and they handle very well.
Lastly (oddly enough) the image quality is better than any other medium format camera I've owned, and I've owned most types. Plus I actually like square format even though I own a 645 back.

Recently found this on the Camera House website. £25 + p&p.

Advertised as "Anastigmat f6.8 T-R in Acme shutter".

It's a T,T & H Cooke Anastigmat, focal length a mystery (stops down to f45 so might with luck cover half frame even 5X7), in Ilex Acme shutter speeded B, T, 1-1/300 (speed seems to be proportionate, only B is malfunctioning as it behave as T). The shutter might have been made to partner with a Thornton Pickard camera, hence T. - P.

1683378999295.jpeg

so, if you have a stereo viewer, like an Owl. Here is the stereo version.

1683379072599.jpeg

Nice camera, I have my dad's Vito I (which I've never used) and a Vito II, which I used quite a bit.

Nice camera, I have my dad's Vito I (which I've never used) and a Vito II, which I used quite a bit.

I’ve not looked into how it works but it seems very simple and no light meter (I have Sekonic), can you adjust aperture and shutter speed or none of that?

I bought it because it looks amazing mostly and folds up!

Yes, it's fully manual; shutter speed, aperture and focus. The lens isn't very fast but it's very sharp when stopped down a bit. The focussing has two extra settings denoted by a triangle and an 'O', the former at f8 gives a focussing range of 7 to 25 (30?) feet, the group setting, the latter from 12 feet to infinity (and beyond!). I found the settings very useful. I have a rangefinder as well but have rarely used it. A light meter is useful of course unless you want to guess exposure. My dad used a Weston II, which I also have, but actually use a Sekonic (L308S).

When winding the film on be gentle, there is only one winding sprocket and it's very shallow.

My camera is pretty well used so I carry it in a case as the release catch for the back is quite worn and feels as if it might easily pop open. by accident.

Manual here (also on Buktus site):

I managed to get hold of the appropriate lens hood which, given the age of the camera, is probably a good idea to use most of the time. It's a 29mm inside diameter push fit, Voigtlander part number 310/29.

Back