OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Does this mean that there's a 35mm back for the Chroma in the pipeline? :D

I guess I’m definitely shooting 35mm again!

View attachment 137789

37 rolls of 13 year old cold-stored Portra 160vc have just arrived [emoji3]

I’ve also got a Plustek 7200 arriving later today so can’t wait to scan some of the recent film I’ve shot.

Portra 160VC my most favourite film.

I have been having trouble focusing at time lately so decided to have a go with an AF camera. Went with a Minolta Dynax 700si and so far very happy with it. Won't be my main camera but when out with the kids it will make things easier for me.

IMGP5162.JPG

I have been having trouble focusing at time lately so decided to have a go with an AF camera. Went with a Minolta Dynax 700si and so far very happy with it. Won't be my main camera but when out with the kids it will make things easier for me.

IMGP5162.JPG

Well I've often seen Minolta AF cameras at the bootie in the past (before having any AF cameras) and wouldn't mind trying one, but was put off by the confusing different types...much like the Canon EOS cameras. Anyway you'll find it easier to focus with children around.

I've only ever shot Portra 400 (in 120) so when I came across the bulk sale of 160vc I figured it's worth a go. The results I've seen on Flickr look excellent so I'm looking forward to trying it.

If it has been definitely been stored cold, then I would shot at Box speed. I do with mine and that is ten years cold stored.(y)

@stevelmx5 goes off and postst a classifieds to sell his VC film to Rich with a 300% profit margin!:naughty::D:D

How dare you. I resemble that accusation! :D

Judging people by your own standards again. :):exit::p

If it has been definitely been stored cold, then I would shot at Box speed. I do with mine and that is ten years cold stored.(y)

Cheers, that's reassuring to know. I was going to stop it down a bit but will shoot one at box and see how it goes.

Yeah, the scanner came with a licensed copy of Silverfast Ai 6 so I’m using that at the moment until I sort out another copy of Viewscan.
I only ask as I have a Plustek 8100 which I bought ages ago and hardly used. I plan to use it now but I've lost the software disk so I'm not sure whether to source another copy of Silverfast or go for Vuescan.

I only ask as I have a Plustek 8100 which I bought ages ago and hardly used. I plan to use it now but I've lost the software disk so I'm not sure whether to source another copy of Silverfast or go for Vuescan.

I haven't tried Vuescan with the 7200 yet but I preferred it over Silverfast when I used to use a V500. I'll probably get hold of a Windows version of Vuescan for the 7200.

From what I understood from Silverfast, your copy of the software will only work with one scanner. If you source another copy, it will not work with your scanner. I recently bought a medium format scanner and asked Silverfast about using my Plustek software with the new scanner - they wanted over £200 to allow one copy of Silverfast to work on two scanners! Vuescan is much cheaper and will work on as many scanners as you own.

Last edited:
From what I understood from Silverfast, your copy of the software will only work with one scanner. If you source another copy, it will not work with your scanner. I recently bought a medium format scanner and asked Silverfast about using my Plustek software with the new scanner - they wanted over £200 to allow one copy of Silverfast to work on two scanners! Vuescan is much cheaper and will work on as many scanners as you own.

Thanks - doing a bit of reading, sounds like Vuescan might be the best option as you say. Also I could use it with my Epson V500 and on two PCs.

I did try Silverfast briefly when I first got the Plustek and found it a bit confusing.

Yeah, the scanner came with a licensed copy of Silverfast Ai 6 so I’m using that at the moment until I sort out another copy of Viewscan.

That is the big brother of the version of Silverfast 6 (SE Plus) that came with my Plustek 7500i. It is powerful, but they clearly decided that everyone else was wrong about how this WIMP stuff should work, so they threw out all the standard interface rules and toolkits and built something... unique... ly bad (IMHO). It is powerful, and it is comprehensible (just), but it would certainly help to use it frequently rather than occasionally, because none of your mental UI rules will work, so you'll have to remember a lot of different rules! I did try version 8, which was somewhat improved, but decided in the end to get Vuescan Pro. It's by no means perfect, but it seems to work for me... mostly!

That is the big brother of the version of Silverfast 6 (SE Plus) that came with my Plustek 7500i. It is powerful, but they clearly decided that everyone else was wrong about how this WIMP stuff should work, so they threw out all the standard interface rules and toolkits and built something... unique... ly bad (IMHO). It is powerful, and it is comprehensible (just), but it would certainly help to use it frequently rather than occasionally, because none of your mental UI rules will work, so you'll have to remember a lot of different rules! I did try version 8, which was somewhat improved, but decided in the end to get Vuescan Pro. It's by no means perfect, but it seems to work for me... mostly!

Cheers Chris. Having scanned about 10 frames I’m getting the feel for Silverfast. I’m not impressed with the B&W scanning yet but slide is looking ok. I’ve tried scanning the B&W film as a positive and then inverting in Lightroom which is giving slightly better results at the moment but I need to setup my own presets with Silverfast.

M2 by D*s, on Flickr

My latest acquisition.

It's lovely to use. I kind of get what the Leica rangefinder fuss is about now but it's still just a camera.
I'll have to sell all my Leica R kit to pay for it!

We need a multiple 'like' feature :D
They are lovely to use aren't they?
and to hold and to look at and to drool over :p

I have the M4 and have to confess if I could only hold onto one camera I reckon it would be ' Lucy' ( Luscious Lucy Leica:D),

A very nice acquisition Des and one I am sure you will enjoy!;)

We need a multiple 'like' feature :D
They are lovely to use aren't they?
and to hold and to look at and to drool over :p

I have the M4 and have to confess if I could only hold onto one camera I reckon it would be ' Lucy' ( Luscious Lucy Leica:D),

A very nice acquisition Des and one I am sure you will enjoy!;)

Thanks Asha. There's certainly a quality feel about the build.

I wanted an M2 for the 35mm frame lines. It came with the 50mm which I'm really enjoying actually. It will take a long time to save for a 35mm lens anyway!

Thanks Asha. There's certainly a quality feel about the build.

I wanted an M2 for the 35mm frame lines. It came with the 50mm which I'm really enjoying actually. It will take a long time to save for a 35mm lens anyway!

35mm is my favourite focal length

For Lucy, I have the Voigtlander Ultron Aspherical 35mm F1.7 and love it.....Not a cheap lens but maybe an option for you to consider.

You bought Robbie the Robot off Forbidden Planet? :eek:

It's quite possible ya know!:p

He's been somewhat quiet and well behaved since his arrival at lunchtime .....Perhaps that's the calm before the :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Dare I sleep with my eyes closed tonight:eek::D

Last edited:
Surely it's a cat tent with integral front paw warmers.
If I didn't need it for other uses Simon, I'd put Marcus in there to snuggle up as atm he's proper poorly with the sniffles:(

I've not bought anything new, I just thought I'd post a photo of a couple of Canon SLRs to redress the balance after all that Nikon stuff! :D And to remind you all how sleek and beautiful they are in comparison! ;)

Back