OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Well if you can't get some sort of picture within a tolerance of 8 stops (with neg film) then there is something wrong with the camera.....this site shows it's better to over expose than under, of course film does like the correct exposure and doesn't mean to always over expose by say 3 stops to make sure you get a picture unless your in some low light situation and can't properly get an exposure meter reading.
https://petapixel.com/2015/08/10/how-much-can-you-overexpose-negative-film-have-a-look/
That's a useful little article that shows the point pretty well. Explains why my first reel of film was grainy as hell! I think I saw a thread here about different ways you can ruin a reel of film. Getting that rule wrong could be added to it! fortunately I was only underexposing by half a stop or so...

That's a useful little article that shows the point pretty well. Explains why my first reel of film was grainy as hell! I think I saw a thread here about different ways you can ruin a reel of film. Getting that rule wrong could be added to it! fortunately I was only underexposing by half a stop or so...

There is an old saying with film users :- Expose for the shadows and let the highlights take care of themselves...well that's if there is anything important to you in the shadows ;) but I think the point was if you don't get enough exposure for shadows (things in shadows) on film.... then it's lost for ever.

Well if you can't get some sort of picture within a tolerance of 8 stops (with neg film) then there is something wrong with the camera.....this site shows it's better to over expose than under, of course film does like the correct exposure and doesn't mean to always over expose by say 3 stops to make sure you get a picture unless your in some low light situation and can't properly get an exposure meter reading.
https://petapixel.com/2015/08/10/how-much-can-you-overexpose-negative-film-have-a-look/

He's not very complimentary about the camera? I always fancied one as well.

Picked this up for a song at Newcastle Market on Tuesday. Recognised the lens on this night-scope and that it was supposed to have a good 'bokeh'. Tried it out on a digital (below) with a suitably festive scene and it looks promising, will be going on one of my M42 cameras with some film in over Christmas. Have printed a new battery cap for the scope and it works too, will need to check it over with my radiation meter though as some of these Russian photomultipliers did emit X-Rays.

t3c2.jpg

Received "my" :p Chroma today.:)

I'm actually borrowing it from @StephenM who very kindly sent it out to me to "have a play with" and compare it with my other outfits ( namely the Tachihara and the Intrepid MK3)

So give me a bit of time and I'll post up a review ( not something I've ever done before so it could be "interesting":p:D)

I took my newly acquired Praktica Super TL to the parents in law for Christmas. I showed it to my father-in-law and he mentioned that he had an old Pentax ME Super with 3 lenses (50mm, 28mm and 75-150) that I was welcome to use. So it turns out film cameras are like buses! Looking forward to giving it a whirl! 5A6EBF7E-B41D-45AD-8FB9-A87DBE99D062.jpegDE715A90-E2F6-4A2B-A7A7-E7D6DA3F9B19.jpegFC92C155-FB34-47DE-AB75-C7E68AB39779.jpeg

I have 3 of these, maybe 4, they're great cameras and, as you can probably tell, they can be found for bargain prices. My last one cost me £5 but free is always better [emoji16]

That's a pretty well regarded zoom, Tom, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-75-150mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html. The SMC 28s are very good too; the 28/3.5 is apparently the sharpest. If that 50 is a 1.7 it's excellent and tiny; the 1.4 is better (IMHO). I've never used the f/2 but I don't think it's as well regarded. But that's definitely an excellent "gift" (or long-term loan) haul.

That's a pretty well regarded zoom, Tom, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-75-150mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html. The SMC 28s are very good too; the 28/3.5 is apparently the sharpest. If that 50 is a 1.7 it's excellent and tiny; the 1.4 is better (IMHO). I've never used the f/2 but I don't think it's as well regarded. But that's definitely an excellent "gift" (or long-term loan) haul.
Thanks for the insight Chris. The 50mm is the 2.0 but it’s got quite a bad case of fungus so I’m temped to try and pick another one up - maybe the 1.7 or 1.4! They go pretty cheap for what they are: £20-30 on eBay. The only problem is that the exposure mode dial seems stuck on auto (I.e. aperture priority) which is what I’d use anyway but it would be useful to have the option!

Thanks for the insight Chris. The 50mm is the 2.0 but it’s got quite a bad case of fungus so I’m temped to try and pick another one up - maybe the 1.7 or 1.4! They go pretty cheap for what they are: £20-30 on eBay. The only problem is that the exposure mode dial seems stuck on auto (I.e. aperture priority) which is what I’d use anyway but it would be useful to have the option!
That little white button that has to be pressed to lock and to go manual is a weak point of the design but can respond to pokeing repeatedly with a small blunt instrument that can apply more force than a finger. If that fails then more drastic measures may be needed.

That little white button that has to be pressed to lock and to go manual is a weak point of the design but can respond to pokeing repeatedly with a small blunt instrument that can apply more force than a finger. If that fails then more drastic measures may be needed.
I didn’t realise that little white button (which doesn’t much look like a button) needed to be pressed. I guess Pentax really wanted you to use their new fangled aperture priority mode! Thanks David.

I didn’t realise that little white button (which doesn’t much look like a button) needed to be pressed. I guess Pentax really wanted you to use their new fangled aperture priority mode! Thanks David.

The MESuper derived from the ME (which I have, from new) which was aperture=priority only

I have a few additions on the way, a Kiev 2a and Corfield Periflex Gold Star from eBay and a Canon EF-M (35mm) and Minolta x300 to pick up from a couple of places this week.

The Periflex was advertised as a Cornfield Reriflex and that and the Kiev 2a are both advertised as fully working. The x300 and lens are both boxed and look new. The EF-M was an unexpected find in a charity shop.

I'm expecting to have all or most of them by Saturday so pictures to follow. For now, these pictures are from the listings. As you can see the covering on the Corfield needs some work.Screenshot_20181231-223801546296151243.jpegScreenshot_20181231-223631546296024318.jpeg

I have a few additions on the way, a Kiev 2a and Corfield Periflex Gold Star from eBay and a Canon EF-M (35mm) and Minolta x300 to pick up from a couple of places this week.

The Periflex was advertised as a Cornfield Reriflex and that and the Kiev 2a are both advertised as fully working. The x300 and lens are both boxed and look new. The EF-M was an unexpected find in a charity shop.

I'm expecting to have all or most of them by Saturday so pictures to follow. For now, these pictures are from the listings. As you can see the covering on the Corfield needs some work.View attachment 141375View attachment 141376

Hi Steve;

are you a camera collector? You seem to have a propensity for buying cameras :)

Have you any online albums with the photo's from all these cameras?

Happy new year BTW

Finally got a film bargain after always wondering how people did it. Being a geek and knowing how much things seem to sell for has finally paid off. I often visit the little antique type places with my girlfriend and see loads of cameras which either don't iterate me or are pretty worthless. Spotted a Nikon L35 AF2 the day after Boxing Day and had seen them going for £100+. Saw it with a pricetaj of £20 and knew that if it worked, it would be worth more than that. Good job I had a couple of batteries with me. The chap threw in the teeny tripod it was on and knocked £2 off so got the lot for £18!

Just need to film test it now.

Finally got a film bargain after always wondering how people did it. Being a geek and knowing how much things seem to sell for has finally paid off. I often visit the little antique type places with my girlfriend and see loads of cameras which either don't iterate me or are pretty worthless. Spotted a Nikon L35 AF2 the day after Boxing Day and had seen them going for £100+. Saw it with a pricetaj of £20 and knew that if it worked, it would be worth more than that. Good job I had a couple of batteries with me. The chap threw in the teeny tripod it was on and knocked £2 off so got the lot for £18!

Just need to film test it now.

The long slippery slope has begun.
You'll be renamed GASmorton...

There's already plenty here. I have been selling some so I am still on a NET loss.

I'll have to do the same. I know where my main interests are now so it is obvious what I can offload.

The Kiev 2a arrived today, everything is working perfectly. Loaded with Tri-X, Boots lightmeter at the ready, now if I only didn't have to be at work in a couple of hours. I guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Oh yes, I picked up the boxed Minolta x-300 and 50mm f1.7 MD lens a couple of days ago too. You can see the camera body in the background.IMG_20190104_120632.jpeg

Yeah, I know, all the lomo's are just "fun" cameras
keep wondering if the next one I try will be made of something more than bendy plastic and thin tin
but they never are
I can do ae motorized 6x8, but its a tank, it goes too far the other way.

Here's a picture of my Canon EF-M I got from a charity shop last week. When I picked it up I put a roll of Kodak 200 Colour film in it and it made a short winding noise and beeped showing nothing in the display.

This camera, like the 300x, winds the whole film out and then retracts the exposed film. I thought the battery must've died or had too little power left. I sent for more (2CR5) batteries. I put a fresh one in and turned the camera on. I got the same beeping and no display. So I opened the back.

It turns out that the camera had rewound the film I'd put in, maybe the charity shop or last owner had pulled a film out. It's my best guess at what might have caused it. After I retrieved the leader (first go) it loaded fine.

The split screen will be handy for use with adapted lenses. It just has the two dials on top. One for shutter speed and one for aperture with an A option on both so you can have either shutter priority or aperture priority auto.

Unfortunately it's another one on the list on 35mm Canon EF cameras my Yongnuo lenses don't work with. It's based on the EOS 1000
IMG_20190106_121711546777322888.jpegIMG_20190106_122111546777365571.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my Canon EF-M I got from a charity shop last week. When I picked it up I put a roll of Kodak 200 Colour film in it and it made a short winding noise and beeped showing nothing in the display.

This camera, like the 300x, winds the whole film out and then retracts the exposed film. I thought the battery must've died or had too little power left. I sent for more (2CR5) batteries. I put a fresh one in and turned the camera on. I got the same beeping and no display. So I opened the back.

It turns out that the camera had rewound the film I'd put in, maybe the charity shop or last owner had pulled a film out. It's my best guess at what might have caused it. After I retrieved the leader (first go) it loaded fine.

The split screen will be handy for use with adapted lenses. It just has the two dials on top. One for shutter speed and one for aperture with an A option on both so you can have either shutter priority or aperture priority auto.

Unfortunately it's another one on the list on 35mm Canon EF cameras my Yongnuo lenses don't work with. It's based on the EOS 1000
View attachment 234409View attachment 234410

Some of the cameras you are buying I've never heard of....h'mm must have passed me by when using MF

I think this was only made for about a year, it wasn't designated an EOS because of the lack of AF but it is based on the 1000. The split image focussing screen is interchangeable with some EOS cameras, though I don't know which, apart from the 1000. This makes it fairly sought after for people adapting lenses.

That's roughly what I found out about it online.

Last edited:
Stopped in at my local Cash Converters on my way home from work and picked up a couple of Nikon lenses for £20.99. The 28mm f2.8 AF was £5.00 and the 70-210mm f4 AF was £15.99.

Unfortunately the zoom has some fungus but even if I can't clean it, £20 is still a bargain for the 28mm.IMG_20190111_193059.jpegIMG_20190111_192718.jpeg

Stopped in at my local Cash Converters on my way home from work and picked up a couple of Nikon lenses for £20.99. The 28mm f2.8 AF was £5.00 and the 70-210mm f4 AF was £15.99.

Unfortunately the zoom has some fungus but even if I can't clean it, £20 is still a bargain for the 28mm.View attachment 234883View attachment 234884
Super bargains, especially the 28mm. I've never seen bargains like this and my local Cash Converters closed down late last year, so presumably we have a different business model up here.:thinking:

I asked why they were so cheap and he just said they tend to sell their film photography items at a low price. They seem to sell Canon 28-80mm lenses for £35 - £45 though.

we have a different business model up here

Maybe the Scots are following the French as bargains such as what Steve manages to lay his hands on simply don't exist down here, well defo not in the South East:(

Maybe the Scots are following the French as bargains such as what Steve manages to lay his hands on simply don't exist down here, well defo not in the South East:(
The only reason I know that our CashConverters has closed is that I was impressed with some of the bargains on here and went looking for it while out Christmas shopping. I hate to think what they paid the poor people who sold Steve's lenses to the shop. :eek:

I hate to think what they paid the poor people who sold Steve's lenses to the shop.

Yeah they can be thieves!
There are a couple of cash converters in Nice ( i think they still exist)
I used one on a couple of occasions but I really was in a desperate situation financially.
Maybe one can banter the vlue / price in in the UK.
Down here it's a non starter, or at least not in the shop I was in. It was a "take it or leave it " attitude!
Be assured I didn't sell everything that I entered the shop with!

Of course on the other side of the coin, one can occasionally pick up a bargain like Steve has.

One mans loss is another mans find…….

I think my local Cash Converters have a bloke who brings stuff in bulk. DSLRs, CSC bodies, lenses and the occasional film camera often turn up. The Nikon lenses only came in today.

Been in Boots today and spotted a couple of triple packs of Lomography Lady Grey 400ASA B&W film for £5 each on the sales shelf. One is due to expire in February but the other has until March 2020. I guess they didn't expect them to have different dates.

I wonder if any others have done the same?

Last edited:
On taking a closer look at my Lomography film I noticed there's two different emulsions. The older one has the code 010764 which is for Kodak Cosmos 400. I have attached a screenshot of the entry for it in the Big Film Database.

I think the other one is probably Ferrania, there's no barcode or DX code, but most reviews say this film is based on it.

They're also in different containers, the former being obviously made by Kodak with its familiar grey top.IMG_20190112_220110.jpeg

New to me mamiya arrived yesterday. I'm now waiting for it to stop piddling down with rain.

Been busy reading the user manual but not before I spent several minutes failing to get into the battery compartment as I was trying to undo the wrong circular thing with a coin slot... :sorry:

Back