Official Olympus E-PL5 thread. (other m4/3 are welcome too!) Show off your pics!

£124.99 from Camera Centre Cardiff which is looking like a bit of a bargain to me, 120mm 2.8 is very usable for me.
Very usable indeedy!

In my local Curry's earlier and they had the EPL-5 for £179.99, one lens and flash kit. The cameras where in the clearance cages so dont know if ex display or brand new.

In my local Curry's earlier and they had the EPL-5 for £179.99, one lens and flash kit. The cameras where in the clearance cages so dont know if ex display or brand new.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO! :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

Gutted!!!!

I need a HATE button. (not you Swanseajack, the post!)

Last edited:
Couple of pics with the new 75-300mm bought from SteveF on the forum.
Thanks Steve! Loving it so far (should be loving it more once I get used to it)

Taken on a walk from Bakewell over to Chatsworth House then along the Derwent Valley to Rowsley and back to Bakewell. (Mmmmmm! Them puddings are delicious!)

Both handheld.

Pink & White Hawthorn Blossom.
Pink & White Hawthorn Blossom by wontolla1, on Flickr

Chatsworth Corn Mill.
Chatsworth Corn Mill by wontolla1, on Flickr

Last edited:
NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO! :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

Gutted!!!!

I need a HATE button. (not you Swanseajack, the post!)

Thinking of another one or have you just bought???

How have you found the 75-300mm. I think I will pull the trigger on a OMD-EM5 next week and also get the 75-300. I sold my XP1 last week and then bought another one, I think I have now come to my senses and need to let the Fuji go as it doesn't offer me the reach the Oly offers.
I am undecided wether to buy from HDEW or go with a UK model to claim the free grip, I have large hand so I will probably need the grip. Anyone on this thread using a Grip with the Oly?

Thinking of another one or have you just bought???

How have you found the 75-300mm. I think I will pull the trigger on a OMD-EM5 next week and also get the 75-300. I sold my XP1 last week and then bought another one, I think I have now come to my senses and need to let the Fuji go as it doesn't offer me the reach the Oly offers.
I am undecided wether to buy from HDEW or go with a UK model to claim the free grip, I have large hand so I will probably need the grip. Anyone on this thread using a Grip with the Oly?

Just bought from Amazon, and I thought I had a bargain!
Bought it off this forum from SteveF through my wanted add. I love it so far, but as stated previously, can't get over how small these lenses are!
The E-PL5 comes with the grip and I find it necessary for my size of hand, but it still feels so small after using a 40d (sometimes with grip) for so long,
but NOT missing the weight while hiking up and down the hills!

:olympus:Just joined and I purchased two pl-5's one last week thanks to reading on here from currys £219.97 then went back today for another one for my partner and that one price dropped to £179.99, need to find somewhere which has the zoom lens kit in black in stock! And so now I need to know how to use it and for it to stop raining.

:olympus:Just joined and I purchased two pl-5's one last week thanks to reading on here from currys £219.97 then went back today for another one for my partner and that one price dropped to £179.99, need to find somewhere which has the zoom lens kit in black in stock! And so now I need to know how to use it and for it to stop raining.

Welcome to TP Sarah!
Well done on your purchases! Amazon have a 40-150 kit on offer HERE for £115.57 including a nice Olympus shoulder bag!
AND, it's stopped raining now!

(y)
Welcome to TP Sarah!
Well done on your purchases! Amazon have a 40-150 kit on offer HERE for £115.57 including a nice Olympus shoulder bag!
AND, it's stopped raining now!

Thanks ordered(y) Might pop out this afternoon for try

Last edited:
Nice, skinned knuckles too!

I like the framing, not too keen on the noise in it though...

I just popped that photo in Dfine2 and wow it cleans up very well as well....High ISO is still not that great imo on m43....it doesn't come close to what I was used to on my Nikon....I've got my E-P5 limited to ISO1600...

I just popped that photo in Dfine2 and wow it cleans up very well as well....High ISO is still not that great imo on m43....it doesn't come close to what I was used to on my Nikon....I've got my E-P5 limited to ISO1600...
Care to share, at all? I'd be keen to see what it can do. I only allowed mine to go to 6400 out of experimenting more than anything, so if there's something else to improve it, that'd be pretty good. TIA!

Care to share, at all? I'd be keen to see what it can do. I only allowed mine to go to 6400 out of experimenting more than anything, so if there's something else to improve it, that'd be pretty good. TIA!
@thesilverfox here it is....I've just used the automatic profile within Dfine2 (from the Google Nik Collection) based upon a JPG download from your flickr. Results should be even better with the original file and perhaps brush out a little from the knuckles...But very usable I think

View attachment 12355

@thesilverfox here it is....I've just used the automatic profile within Dfine2 (from the Google Nik Collection) based upon a JPG download from your flickr. Results should be even better with the original file and perhaps brush out a little from the knuckles...But very usable I think

View attachment 12355
That's not bad at all really - some definition is lost around the thumb, but I agree with you - pretty good.

Yes a little to smooth in places, I just used the auto setting. A bit of twiddling with the sliders or local brushing out of the noise reduction will restore that.

I'm actually very impressed on how good it cleans up.

Which Nikon are you talking about? ISO 4000 on my 7000 wouldn't be that good...
D7000. Iso6400 had less noise than that :)

Lol I must be doing something wrong then. Mine is worse than that.
I'll see if I can still find some high ISO samples. D7000 should be superb.

I've had an e-pl5 for a couple of months now, still getting to grips with it, but find it much more portable than my DSLR and kit that's for sure.

Finding the touchscreen to be really useful, especially with the super control panel option enabled, plus the touch to focus and shoot is a great feature, very quick.

P4080084
by Soggs, on Flickr

Mossy head (C)
by Soggs, on Flickr

Daffodils
by Soggs, on Flickr

Mo Farah
by Soggs, on Flickr

Love the colours in the church shot!

Thanks Wontolla, it was taken using one of the effect filters in the camera, Pop Art I think it is. Definitely creates a very vibrant image.

Ooooh! not tried that one yet.

Ooooh! not tried that one yet.

I'm quite impressed with the filters, I know some people think they're a bit of a gimmick, but they're quite handy if you don't have time to do any PP and want an instant enhancement.

Here's another one taken with the filter, this one was Dramatic Tone.

P4080079
by Soggs, on Flickr

£125 BARGAIN imo, great build quality, excellent sharp IQ, nice fast focusing and came with padded lens case and hood. 120mm really suits me.
Currently looking at getting one, but undecided between this and a pancake.

Which pancake?

There again, not sure yet whether to go for the 14-42 or a 25mm, 17mm prime, Panasonic or Olympus?
The Lumix 1.7mm seems to have a good following.
BUT, as I do a lot of landscape while hiking, quite fancy a fisheye/WA too!

There again, not sure yet whether to go for the 14-42 or a 25mm, 17mm prime, Panasonic or Olympus?
The Lumix 1.7mm seems to have a good following.
BUT, as I do a lot of landscape while hiking, quite fancy a fisheye/WA too!
How often do you find yourself at the 14mm end wishing the lens was faster in terms of light?

I picked up a cheap EPL5 kit with single lens in Currys at the weekend. Seems a rather under-valued camera for what you get, and it's much improved over the EPL3 I used to own :)

Back