Official Talk Leica thread

Good choice, enjoy. I had a Color Skopar for a while before I got a Summicron and it's a great lens..... I've looked a couple of times at the 75mm f1.25, but with the crap experience I've had with 2 various 7artisans 35mm f2's, I'm a bit reticent to pick one up.

i nearly got the ttartisans 50/0.95 recently... but instead bought the evf. I think i did good here...

i nearly got the ttartisans 50/0.95 recently... but instead bought the evf. I think i did good here...
Haha, I bought the EVF which works, but I'm not a great fan of it.... worse EVF than my X-Pro1 :ROFLMAO:

But if I'm out in the woods or such like, it does come in handy.

:ROFLMAO:

My supermarket had Estrella Galicia the other day, a beer that I find nicer than anything on my side of the border (but shhhh about it or they take away my residency :D )
You need to find Mahou if you can... best Spanish beer ever! (y)

But if I'm out in the woods or such like, it does come in handy.

it can't be worse than the m240 one!

if I use it as much as the 240 one, then it'll be hardly ever, but bloody handy when I do

I'm saving it until tuesday which is my birthday!

My mum's in town so we've going to the seaside a lot!

So my LR catalogue this week is all family stuff and Boaty McBoatFace

N1004487.LR.jpg

N1004616.LR.jpg

N1004624.LR.jpg

N1004666.LR.jpg

N1004686.LR.jpg
oh and something vaguely streety

N1004727.LR.jpg
i'm having a long running argument with the mrs, she says this is a windmill, I say is it f***

(I just googled it and she's right. I'd best be keeping that to myself)

Hi, Schiller's muse. - With a muse like this, one does not go to bed early. One stays up late, writing poetry ... (M9 - Summarit 2,5/50 f 2,5) :

L1025644_DxO-L50s-25-c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, ... (M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Heliar Classic 1,8/75 f 1,8 ; crop) :

L1025673_DxO-v75-18-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1025673_DxO-v75-18.jpg
    L1025673_DxO-v75-18.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 0
Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f1.7 Aspherical

Xmas @ f/1.7 - M8

TP_M8_Ultron_Candles_BW.jpg

Lifeguard at Sidmouth gives swimmers advice from the breakwater (Panasonic G9 / Leica DG-Vario-Elmar 100~400mm)...

Life guard on duty Sidmouth Air Show 2021 G9 P1013444.JPG

Another shot from the Red Arrows appearance at Sidmouth. To be honest, I was panning left to right with the nearer aircraft and catching the other Hawk was just plain luck :naughty:

(Panasonic G9 / Leica DG-Vario-Elmar 100~400mm)...

Red Arrows Sidmouth Air Show 2021 G9 P1013703.JPG

Spent a couple of days down on the South Coast last week. This is Eastbourne on the M10-P & 35mm Summicron.

Due to a bit of a HDD issue, I've had to reload everything on my iMac and with LR installed, haven't installed any other presets, just used the LR Black and White options (and a bit of grain & sharpening). I'm quite surprised at how good some of the inbuilt presets are in LR nowadays.

L1002902.jpg by Dave Young, on Flickr

Wildcat helicopter at the Sidmouth Air Show (Panasonic G9 / Leica DG-Vario-Elmar 100~400mm)...

Royal Navy Wildcat Helicopter Sidmouth Air Show 2021 G9 P1013461.JPG

Hi, ... (M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

L1006757_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

(When I first used the Lanthar, I was concerned about the graininess of its bokeh. - I cannot see this in the pic above. The early problems may be due to the artificial light sources
in the pics and the automatic AWB used ... )

Hi, ... (M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50)

f 2:

L1006496_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

f 2,8 :

L1006497_DxO-v50-28-c.jpg

f 2:

L1006498_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

(I used the Lanthar on two days, and took over 700 pics. (Maybe, I am too greedy ... ;) ) If the light was not too bright, I used f 2 for frontal pics and for lens hoods.
For the whole car, I used f 2,8, which gave me enough DOF with some background isolation.)

I have a 35/2.4 summarit and the CV 35/1.7 ultron

I only shoot digital these days though

Of the two I use the Ultron more.

The CV vignettes more and the summarit has more visible distortion

The summarit is a nicer shape, is a lot smaller (it’s tiny without the hood)

The CV is bigger, has frankly a very strange shape, with a weird shaped focus ring

The colour signature of each is pretty similar

I feel the Voigtlander is sharper, the extra stop it has over the Leica is very welcome

Neither lens is particularly prone to flare

My CV cost new ex-display about half that of my summarit as a dealer bought secondhand item

If I could keep only one it would probably be the Voigtlander

Final opinion..

If (IF) you can live with the size and strange shape of the CV 35/1.7 it offers you a little more performance than the summarit at a lot less coin

The Leica lens is coded for Leica digital (and the LR lens profile corrects the distortion, but the C1 one doesn’t) but that’s pretty irrelevant for film shooters I guess…

The biggest performance difference I see between them is wide open/close to wide open (the CV is basically a stop faster), so if you’re an F8 and be there kinda shooter, then don’t put too much stock into this

I’ve had the 35mm 1.7, sold because of the ergonomics and vignette, it’s really noticeable, by far the worst I’ve seen in a lens. Currently have the 35mm 2.4 summarit but don’t really get on with it, I find it too sharp with no real character, a very modern rendering. Regret selling an old 35mm Summicron, lovely lens, but it was falling apart… in retrospect should have fixed it.

Summarit is fine for street photography, although the aperture and focus are a lot easier to move than others, so you need to check before the shot.

This is my personal view, others would love the modern look from the glass, great we have choices!

You can get Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 if you can manage the weight. I’ve half an eye out for a 35mm summicron or summilux. In roughly the price range of the summarit I think the Elmarit 28mm or 50mm summicron are great choices.

Last edited:
Is this thread for L mount too (even if none of it is Leica, i.e. Panasonic S5 and Sigma glass) or would it be best to have a separate L mount alliance thread?

Back