Official Talk Leica thread

Still getting to grips with the Q3, had a play with the Leica Looks in camera profiles today, only applied to jpg you can't use them on RAW in LR, they work with some shots, not others, very scene / object dependant from what i've tried so far. I don't usually shoot jpg but was curious.

L1000040 by Total Photo, on Flickr

Been browsing this thread - curious as to what a Leica would give me that my X100V couldn‘t.

Conclusion - nothing ;)

Convince me why you’ve chosen Leica ?
1. True rangefinder experience (M models)
2. Full Frame
3. higher resolution (later models)
4. better glass
5. Better build quality

i chose an M to simplify my photography and remove the computer aided element. When I shoot with my M it feels like I’m in the best version of manual mode that you can get. No EVF, no Through the lens view, no autofocus. The result is me enjoying photography far more than I did when I shot with an A7R3.

Been browsing this thread - curious as to what a Leica would give me that my X100V couldn‘t.

Conclusion - nothing ;)

Hi, if you are happy with your X100V, its FL, its functionality and handling, fine.

A friend of mine with Leica, Canon, ROLLEI, Plaubel, Linhoff equipment also has a little Fuji. He says, it is a nice little camera.

I do not own an X100V, so I do not have the comparison. You could go through this thread and look at the pics taken with a 35mm lens.

If you could have taken similar pics with your Fuji, wonderful. You can save a lot of money.

With a Leica, you can use lenses from 10mm to 135mm. I have 34 lenses from 12mm to 135mm. -

Talking about photography, one could differentiate between the results, and the photographic experience.

I use SONY and NIKON cameras, too. I am also happy with the results. But I like the experience of using my Leicas best.

But this a matter of taste.

And we should follow the dictum of the ancients de gustibus non est disputandum

P.S.:
I should add, perhaps, that I think FUJI is a great company with great products. I even considered buying an "MF" GX ...

This is the only FUJI camera, proper medium format, I used, and still have ... :

Fuji-DSC09710-a7r2-z50ma_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Fuji-DSC09709-a7r2-z50ma_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Last edited:

Conclusion - nothing ;)

I can change lenses on my Leicas, in my case I go from 21mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm and 135mm.

Conclusion - nothing ;)

As you know i've had lot's of Fuji's including the X100V more than once.

There's a world of difference, biggest thing I noticed straight away is the DR, something all of my Fuji's have struggled with. In strong backlit situations most FF sensors will handle it much better. Last time I had the X100V I did many comparisons with my Sony A7 IV and the Fuji just couldn't keep up, i'm finding the Leica equally as good as the Sony in every aspect so far except the AF is still superior on Sony. Again the Fuji will miss AF a lot more compared to the Leica.

Now go and pony up £5300 for the Q3 and come back and talk to me after a couple of weeks ;) :ROFLMAO:

1. True rangefinder experience (M models)
2. Full Frame
3. higher resolution (later models)
4. better glass
5. Better build quality

i chose an M to simplify my photography and remove the computer aided element. When I shoot with my M it feels like I’m in the best version of manual mode that you can get. No EVF, no Through the lens view, no autofocus. The result is me enjoying photography far more than I did when I shot with an A7R3.

I don't have to convince anybody.

It's got the red dot and Leica on it, that's good enough for me.

Why buy a Ford when one can have a Roller.......same difference.

Hi, if you are happy with your X100V, its FL, its functionality and handling, fine.

A friend of mine with Leica, Canon, ROLLEI, Plaubel, Linhoff equipment also has a little Fuji. He says, it is a nice little camera.

I do not own an X100V, so I do not have the comparison. You could go through this thread and look at the pics taken with a 35mm lens.

If you could have taken similar pics with your Fuji, wonderful. You can save a lot of money.

With a Leica, you can use lenses from 10mm to 135mm. I have 34 lenses from 12mm to 135mm. -

Talking about photography, one could differentiate between the results, and the photographic experience.

I use SONY and NIKON cameras, too. I am also happy with the results. But I like the experience of using my Leicas best.

But this a matter of taste.

And we should follow the dictum of the ancients de gustibus non est disputandum

P.S.:
I should add, perhaps, that I think FUJI is a great company with great products. I even considered buying an "MF" GX ...

This is the only FUJI camera, proper medium format, I used, and still have ... :

View attachment 395434

View attachment 395433

I can change lenses on my Leicas, in my case I go from 21mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm and 135mm.

Thanks for the replies.

Not convinced but each to their own - perhaps I’m not a ‘proper’ photographer anymore. Just interested in the Leica rangefinders, Will need to do some more research - without meaning to offend, I’ve not seen any photos in this thread that blew me away and thought ‘wow, that’s taken with a Leica’. Maybe I’m missing something and it is more about the experience of taking a photo than the output?

@bl0at3r i was in a similar frame of mind til I tried my M10. i Have to say I thought the output from my Sony was great, but something in the Leica files is just nicer. Maybe the contrast straight out of camera or the colours, I’m not sure. I would advise trying one of yourself.

Anyway, a new member of the lens family arrived today. Pre-owned 50mm Summilux ASPH
the previous owner was good enough to have it CLA’d before selling - what a gent! Its mint condition and i’m looking forward to shooting with it:IMG_2321.jpeg

FWIW... and we're all different...

But this is what I most noticed migrating to Leica from Fuji

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 20.35.08.jpg

The Files need very little work in post

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 20.38.24.jpg

No masks, no layers, no needing this app or that app because of X-Trans

A few little tweaks and it looks like you can reach in and pick up the red flags or run your finger on the texture of the blue building.

Of course other cameras do this, but I find them more work to get there in post.

To be fair the M can be more work at point of capture!

In fairness I don’t think there’s ‘that much difference’ in modern digital cameras in terms of image quality etc at a similar resolution.

For me I enjoy the experience of shooting with Leica - I’ve recently had an X100v and enjoyed using it, I still have my old X-Pro1 & love using that, however I simply enjoy using my M10-P more.

Conclusion - nothing ;)

I or we don't have to convince anyone.

it is entirely your decision what you use, if you feel a Leica won't give you anything then so be it.

I have owned lots of really nice cameras and still do but I always get excited just holding the Leica, everyone is different.

Last edited:

Conclusion - nothing ;)

Lots of great and bad pictures are made with Leicas and the X100v every day - It's really down to the photographer not the camera.

I like the simplicity of the thing (M11) and the DR over the X100v (it's what I upgraded from) and also a lot of the benefits are intangible and personal. Leica do a test run, why not try for yourself?

Lots of great and bad pictures are made with Leicas and the X100v every day - It's really down to the photographer not the camera.

I like the simplicity of the thing (M11) and the DR over the X100v (it's what I upgraded from) and also a lot of the benefits are intangible and personal. Leica do a test run, why not try for yourself?
It was the difference in DR that finally made me switch from Fuji to Sony so I agree it is an issue, however it also depends what sort of photography you do, for street it's not really an issue on the X100V in my opinion, my favourite images of all time were taken on Fuji gear.

Thanks for the replies.

Not convinced but each to their own - perhaps I’m not a ‘proper’ photographer anymore. Just interested in the Leica rangefinders, Will need to do some more research - without meaning to offend, I’ve not seen any photos in this thread that blew me away and thought ‘wow, that’s taken with a Leica’. Maybe I’m missing something and it is more about the experience of taking a photo than the output?
I tend to use my Leica M typ. 240 to shoot with vintage L39 lenses on a full frame body so image quality and dynamic range are the last things on my mind, it is just more convenient than using my film cameras whilst retaining rangefinder coupling.

Hampstead L1000268edit14july by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

^^ A recent example Canon 35mm f/2 ltm wide open, which I know you and many others here will hate but I am good with that.

Use the camera you can afford and gives you the photos/experience you like/want.

I always wanted a leica digital since I saw the pics of the m8 way back when this thread was started. Prices.. you know.
I still do not have any leica lenses of the most up to date type (summicron etc) as they cost the same as a body, but I can recommend the stores (helpful staff) and the m10 (had a typ240 but it had its techy limits...)
I think the m11 is nicer, but pricer too. m10r or m10 or m10 mono are definitely good. You will notice the weight though.

You can use evf (I bought one as I like macro and my eyesight is not the best anymore) but there is something to the clean lines with using the normal rangefinder eye piece and no attachments.
I am also experimenting with the adapters, macro (leica pricey but nice) m42 (older lens with a bit more length and a lot cheaper) and nikon adapter (macro and lensbaby).
I also got the lomography m mount 32mm art lens... Still getting used to it, but boy is it thin...
and in comparison to leica and voigtlandr/zeiss lenses... cheap :)

had a bit of flaring though when shooting towards the sun on the last shots (see below)

out of the direct sun though..

I just had to force myself not to saturate so much though ... rhs of photo...

When I started looking for a new P&S camera I though about Lieca. Price stopped me dead. Seem's I saw one, a point and shoot, for $20K! I wouldn't pay money like that for any camera, not even if I could afford it! Witch I can't. Looked again now and P&S Lieca from $1800 up to over $5000! Wow, all I want to do is shoot a picture. I did see one at a field trial one time. Really nice looking and appeared to be well built but so's my panosonic and supposed to have a lieca lens in it. Cost me $435 used! $597 new and I simply wouldn't pay that much for a point and shoot. I have no idea how anyone can justify spending the kind of money they want for a P&S camera!

GAS...
We wants it.
Its a different system (rangefinder) to auto. feels different.
The point n shoot / sl systems can be cheap or expensive (see the nikon/canon/sony top flagship cameras .. same price as m10).
Lenses depend on the quality and feel you want for your photos.
We can ask why you want P&S when your mobile probably does just as good...

Its all personal, and no need to justify (except to the better half)...

Back