Official Talk Leica thread

Street Life by Paul Holtom, on Flickr

50mm Summicron on M240

Paul - this image is incredible & captivating - thanks for sharing :)

I longingly look in here on the Leica forum dreaming of a retirement present to myself - wanted a Leica for the best part of 40 years!

Leica M10D; yes please - ticks all the boxes I would want in a camera and I fully understand the arguments against it! Hopefully by the time I could afford it there will be a red dot on the front and the advance lever would cock a mechanical shutter :)

Keep the images coming - love looking at them all :)

I sorta get the m60/m262D

It’s a digital work flow with a camera that you have an ‘analog’ relationship with

But the new m10d, with an EVF and sooc jpegs and fake wind on lever seems more like a styling exercise....

IMO If one is incapable of resisting the chimping lure of digital, then moving the chimp to your phone isn’t going to make you stop... much like if your favourite restaurant moves premises to a bit further away, you’re still going to make the effort to go there

Maybe it's an age thing. I can imagine a lot of maybe older people not being interested in learning how to chimp on a phone.

Unfortunately I have to carry one and that's the only time it's turned on, when I'm not out it's turned off. I do almost detest using just about any technology now though so I'm maybe not too typical. I'm sure Leica will sell these, dunno how many but some will definitely sell.

Unfortunately I have to carry one and that's the only time it's turned on, when I'm not out it's turned off. I do almost detest using just about any technology now though so I'm maybe not too typical. I'm sure Leica will sell these, dunno how many but some will definitely sell.

I think we agree Alan that it is a very niche product. I said on the other thread that it feels like someone at Leica sneaked into my head and designed my dream camera! They are absolute barstewards making it so expensive though! I really do understand those that don't get it as well :)

Hi, above I stated my assessment of the M10-D as a good Leica customer since 1988, based on my usage patterns.

I do not use my iPhone for sharing pictures. For those who do, the new app is helpful, because the iPhone does not accept memory cards. (Via iCloud data could be made accessible, I think. -)

Apart from my Leica customer perspective, there is the manufacturing perspective of Leica.

They save the expenses incurred by installing a display. I do not know, however, how great the savings are for a manufacturer, when buying displays (in small quantities) from a supplier.

More importantly, there is product strategy, too. The main competition of camera manufacturers are present (and future) smart-phones.

Therefore, it is a smart move to relegate the smart phones to serve as mere displays, the image capturing being done by the cameras, not the phones.

If these thoughts are valid, we could expect a migration of this "external display-strategy" from the high end to mid range cameras.

Time will tell ... ---

Last edited:
My HUNCH would be that any saving made on the lack of LCD, would be eaten up by the lower production run of the part of the camera that no longer uses the rear screen and instead needs a hole for the on/off/wifi and EV wheel

As it stands the existing tooling is capable of making the back of M10/M10P (and presumably the inevitable monochrom and cheaper “M-E”) models, but the tooling that makes the rear of the M10D can only make M10Ds

As the photos app doesn’t do anything for the 10D that it doesn’t do for all the other wifi enabled Leicas, this makes the 10D more about the styling... IMO/YMMV

But times are a changin’ (and the stone isn’t rolling slowly!!) both Leica and Zeiss have attempted to streamline camera capture to social media, but they’ve chosen very different methods. (Zeiss it’s in camera, Leica its in phone)

Hi, examples of flaring M9 - LEICA Summicron 2/50 f 8:

Sun outside of frame at 13:30:

L1014296_DxO-L50cron-8-tp.jpg

Sun in the back:

L1014319_DxO-L50cron-8-tp.jpg

So, this can happen. There was a lot of moisture in the air. In the second picture there was a light drizzle. Of course, one can produce flares with any lens, if one tries hard enough.

I just love the images Leica cameras produce! I need to rob a bank!
I do appreciate it is the person behind the lens that matters most so well done everyone - please keep sharing!

Last edited:
Hi, an All Souls' Day picture (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2/35 f 2). - Roses expressing emotions on a frosty morning --- ... :

L1014558_DxO-z35bio-c-tp.jpg

Hi, Fladungen/Bavaria from the Hotel Sonnentau, Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Ultra-Wide Heliar 5,6/12 M39 f 8 (crop):

L1014576_DxO-L12-8-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1014576_DxO-v12-8-tp.jpg
    L1014576_DxO-v12-8-tp.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 8
Maybe a longer exposure or bumping your ISO would have helped here?

Well, the full miniature picture shows, there are lights in the foreground. Brightening the picture led to light areas, so I left it as it is.

The crop shows that the 12mm Heliar is not optimal for a scene like this. It is too wide, and we get the Porgy&Bess result ("I got plenty of nothing") ... --- ;)

Well, the full miniature picture shows, there are lights in the foreground. Brightening the picture led to light areas, so I left it as it is.

The crop shows that the 12mm Heliar is not optimal for a scene like this. It is too wide, and we get the Porgy&Bess result ("I got plenty of nothing") ... --- ;)

Fair enough, this is a scene where bracketing/post processing of the shadows would make a greater benefit to the final result. And yes, 12mm is exceptionally wide on full frame so, like all superwides, needs careful composition to create an interesting result that leads your eyes through the image.

Hi, Leica M9 - Leica Elmarit 2,8/21 ASPH f 8, crop (more favourble conditions, less light in the foreground):

L1014593_DxO-L21-c-tp.jpg

Daylight crop:

L1014594_DxO-L21-8-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1014593_DxO-L21-tp.jpg
    L1014593_DxO-L21-tp.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back