Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, I visited the "Leica-town" Wetzlar again (Leica M9 - Summicron 2/50, current version):

L1017456_DxO-L50c-2-tp.jpg

A manufacturing building:

L1017457_DxO-L50c-56-tp.jpg

Most people only know the company name Leica. But the original name was Leitz. Towards the end of th 1980s, Leitz was in severe economic difficulties.

A consultant saw a rebranding as a way out of this crisis. So, the whole company got the name of its most well-known and popular product Leica.

(I know, because I attended a presentation of this rebranding strategy in 1988, long ago, in a previous life ... --- )

Sunlight'.......................

through my vertical blinds........
default_ohmy.png

L1030193-1 copy.jpg

I had a look, wish I hadn't

I don't look at reviews for things I own, but I thought I'd look at the comments - i should not have.

Thing is Dan. Not everyone ‘gets’ Leica

I had a look, wish I hadn't

I don't look at reviews for things I own, but I thought I'd look at the comments - i should not have.

Sorry, I did not read the comments before posting the link. :sorry:

To put it mildly, Leica reviews do not always elicit the best responses ... --- ;)

Looks like a great result from that review. I loved my Q, but in the end the focal length was just too much of a problem for me, and I hate cropping. There are always silly comments, but if you want one and can afford it I don’t see what harm it does.

I got bored reading the comments.

Very quickly

It is what it is, it costs what it costs (and let’s be honest, the market has never been so full of expensive cameras like the A9, A7Riii, the fuji MF cameras and whatever that new Panasonic FF is called)

Those that have a Q/Q2 seem pleased with it, images I’ve seen from it look good, and DPR (and other reviewers) rate it.

Enjoy what you shoot and shoot what you can.

DPR seems to have taken Leica more seriously ever since the M10 landed.

Good. Leica’s product range has gone from strength to strength in terms of ISO, EVF, and sensible features in recent years.

As the local Leica store manager pointed out to me..

Leica is the only company (if you factor in the re-badged Panasonics and Huawei phones) making a camera for every single market segment (ie phone through to MF stopping off via compacts, APSC and FF) and if that commitment isn’t something to be applauded and taken seriously from a camera company that doesn’t have a huge market share then I’m not sure what is....

There’s a bunch of us on this thread, regularly posting pictures, which means we’re regularly out shooting, which means we’re enjoying what we’ve got, which is a happy place to be IMO

Last edited:
...don't forget Leica still make film cameras! My MP arrived today...

So very true, so in total that’s

Phone cameras
Small sensor compacts
M43 Compact
Fixed lens apsc (including fully water proof)
ILC apsc
Fixed lens FF (including IP rated)
ILC mirrorless
ILC digital rangefinder
ILC film rangefinder
ILC digital MF

That’s pretty much every rung on the ladder from little finger nail sized phone sensors, through to medium format... I don’t see anyone else with that much covered in their product range.... not even close....

I’ve no clue as I use an M9 but by all accounts the Leica fotos app is pretty decent too (the fuji one rhymes with clucking hit)

Not bad for a fashion brand huh? ;-)

But let’s keep it as our little secret

#preachingtothechoir

Back