Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, looking for trouble ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :
Red CAs in the wheel!
If you hadn't pointed it out, wouldn't have noticed... ;) and is really testing it...
As a question then, which lens would reduce those ca's ?

Which 35 did you get? A 35 is the only hole in my lineup now that I have a 50 and 28. I have a tiny Voigtlander Ultron but after getting the 28mm Summicron I have a hankering for Leica glass.
I don't have a 35, thought it was too close to the 28... but was tempted to get the voigtlander 35 1.2 v3..... and its my b'day soooooo.....
But do I need it ?
or a 21mm might be better for slightly wider (the 15 I have is good except for the fringing on the sides)... or a longer lens.... or save the money for the future...
hmmm decisions

1) If you hadn't pointed it out, wouldn't have noticed... ;) and is really testing it...

2)As a question then, which lens would reduce those ca's ?

Hi,

ad1) that's one of those things... One typically looks at a picture and not at minor details. The problem is, however, once you have seen a thing like this, it is difficult to "unsee" ...

ad2) I would think any Apo-lens should not show them. So, I have great exectations re the Leica apos ...

One conclusion is that MTFs do not tell everything, and that one should always be prepared for surprises ...

A look at the bokeh of my 50s on the M9 (no ceteris paribus, all maximally open) :

Leica Summarit 2,5/50:

L1015365_DxO-L50summ-25-tp.jpg

Leica Summicron v5 :

L1002525_DxO-L50c-2.jpg

ZEISS Planar :

L1003509_DxO-z50p-2.jpg

Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar :

L1004402_DxO-v50-2.jpg

ZEISS Sonnar :

L1004591_DxO-z50s-15.jpg

Last edited:
If you hadn't pointed it out, wouldn't have noticed... ;) and is really testing it...
As a question then, which lens would reduce those ca's ?

No lens can truly not have fringing as it’s caused by many things, especially in digital where we also have the light hitting the sensor

digital also doesn’t blow out colour channels at the same time, often red goes first which can produce CA effects (no lens protects against overexposure, well they all do if you leave the cap on )

a well designed APO lens is supposed to eliminate/reduce CA but only at the point of focus, objects off the focal plane are still susceptible to CA

The Zeiss ZM Planar showed up today (6 days shipping -incl. wknd- from Austria to Portugal)

Initial impressions are very good, noticeably smaller and lighter than the 50 lux.

I shot some crap around my hood with it on the M9 and I need to repeat with the 240 (although I had the M9 in mind when I chose it)

Some pics to follow later!

The Zeiss ZM Planar showed up today (6 days shipping -incl. wknd- from Austria to Portugal)

Initial impressions are very good, noticeably smaller and lighter than the 50 lux.

I shot some crap around my hood with it on the M9 and I need to repeat with the 240 (although I had the M9 in mind when I chose it)

Some pics to follow later!

Congrats! (y) It's a great lens (see above) ... ---

Congrats! (y) It's a great lens (see above) ... ---

Thank you very much Immo

It's no Lanthar of course, but that seemed overkill for me (plus paying for it would of hurt)

I seem to have got a decent copy, but experience tells me to wait and see if I notice any problems over a few days before turning cartwheel of joy!

Ok these just in...

M9 and the new to me Planar 50 ZM.

Don't expect much - I literally walked around the block and took some snaps, we're on strict lockdown here (we can't even drive any where, only allowed for a bit of exercise in your local neighbourhood. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a very serious Covid related problem compared to the severity of this pandemic, but it's been nearly 8 weeks now and the vaccination program seems to be progressing at glacial speeds so there's no end in sight)

It was good to use the M9 again, clunky slow whirring thing that it is. I last used it in December (the battery went from 80% to depleted in about 9 shots!!)

Obviously I'll try the Planar on the 240, but I mainly had the M9 in mind when I chose it (IMHO the lux rendering looks great on the 240, but I find it can be a little too modern looking on the M9. I think it's just me as there's so many M9 + Lux ASPH owners out there!)

Anyway...

L1020971.LR.jpg

L1020993.LR.jpg

L1021012.LR.jpg

L1021018.LR.jpg

L1021000.LR.jpg

Yup it's a Zeiss! Slightly cool rendering, very sharp and a healthy dollop of micro-contrast :cool:

Ok these just in...

M9 and the new to me Planar 50 ZM.

Don't expect much - I literally walked around the block and took some snaps, we're on strict lockdown here (we can't even drive any where, only allowed for a bit of exercise in your local neighbourhood. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a very serious Covid related problem compared to the severity of this pandemic, but it's been nearly 8 weeks now and the vaccination program seems to be progressing at glacial speeds so there's no end in sight)

It was good to use the M9 again, clunky slow whirring thing that it is. I last used it in December (the battery went from 80% to depleted in about 9 shots!!)

Obviously I'll try the Planar on the 240, but I mainly had the M9 in mind when I chose it (IMHO the lux rendering looks great on the 240, but I find it can be a little too modern looking on the M9. I think it's just me as there's so many M9 + Lux ASPH owners out there!)

Anyway...

View attachment 311349

View attachment 311350

View attachment 311351

View attachment 311352

View attachment 311353

Yup it's a Zeiss! Slightly cool rendering, very sharp and a healthy dollop of micro-contrast :cool:
Nailed the focus Adam. (y)

Thank you very much Immo

It's no Lanthar of course, but that seemed overkill for me (plus paying for it would of hurt)

I seem to have got a decent copy, but experience tells me to wait and see if I notice any problems over a few days before turning cartwheel of joy!

Hi, the Lanthar made me go through my files, and I must say that there are no dramatic differences between my 50s. The Lanthar seems to have greater sharpness, even open,
but greater sharpness may reduce 3D pop.

The Planar is well made. Mine is over 10 years old, no problems whatsoever.

It has not got a Leica focus tab. But it can also not break off, which happened to my 35mm Summicron ...

I like the Planar bokeh (see above).

Nailed the focus Adam. (y)

Cheers Paul

I think I'm the only person on the internet that finds the darker M9 RF patch easier to use than the brighter one in the later Ms (perhaps cos I live somewhere bright and sunny for two thirds of the year)

These were all wide open too (I think, maybe there's a 2.8 in there, the chimney perhaps)

Hi, the Lanthar made me go through my files, and I must say that there are no dramatic differences between my 50s. The Lanthar seems to have greater sharpness, even open,
but greater sharpness may reduce 3D pop.

The Planar is well made. Mine is over 10 years old, no problems whatsoever.

It has not got a Leica focus tab. But it can also not break off, which happened to my 35mm Summicron ...

I like the Planar bokeh (see above).

Well it's only been the first day, but I think the Planar and me will get on just fine!

Capture.JPG

Just for fun...
240 + summilux asph and m9 + planar (on completely different days and different times of day with different weather, so no one read too much into this)

Like you say many of the lens share similarities, there's few bad ones these days, but now at least I can have a 50 on each of the Leicas! :)

Cheers Paul

I think I'm the only person on the internet that finds the darker M9 RF patch easier to use than the brighter one in the later Ms (perhaps cos I live somewhere bright and sunny for two thirds of the year)

These were all wide open too (I think, maybe there's a 2.8 in there, the chimney perhaps)
I'm the other one probably because I only have M9s............ ;)

The M10M and 35mm FLE are now officially mine! looking forward to when I can go photograph in London or some live music in Guildford.

I've got some change left from selling the Q2M a few lenses - so trying to decide what lenses to get next, and I do fancy a colour M camera as well

Mono Nature Reserve by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Congrats Dan. I've just sealed the deal on my M7 which will be winging it's way to me tomorrow. Just need the MP to be in stock so I can trade it for my M6 and I'm done with buying Leicas!

Managed to sneak out a bit further afield today.

Mrs Adam had a legitimate appointment in the next district over, so I tagged along for the photo opportunities.

I only had about 30mins!

The Zeiss Planar again, but this time with the M240

M1005637.LR.jpg

M1005639.LR.jpg

M1005648.LR.jpg

M1005665.LR.jpg

M1005703.LR.jpg

Really like that first one Adam.

Congrats Dan. I've just sealed the deal on my M7 which will be winging it's way to me tomorrow. Just need the MP to be in stock so I can trade it for my M6 and I'm done with buying Leicas!

nice one!

i do wonder about the M9... would give me more money to spend on glass, and I have the M10M for high ISO stuff...so many options it debilitating :D

nice one!

i do wonder about the M9... would give me more money to spend on glass, and I have the M10M for high ISO stuff...so many options it debilitating :D

Yes congrats Dan,

The M9 is kinda long in the tooth now... lord knows if Leica can even fix them if they go wrong (they’ve run out of sensors for sure), they’re slow and clunky..

but there’s something about the files from it be that because of CCD or probably just old, old tech that has a charm that, much like how CD sits between the charm of vinyl and the modern convenience of mp3, the M9 photos certainly aint film, but they have more charm than most modern sensors.

shot to shot times are about a week, iso gets dicey after 640.

still the quickest boot up time of any digital camera I’ve had in the past ten years!

The M9 is kinda long in the tooth now... lord knows if Leica can even fix them if they go wrong (they’ve run out of sensors for sure), they’re slow and clunky..

I suppose with the M10M, I like to freely switch between rangefinder and live view - the M9 li.. come to think of it does it even have live view? hmm might not be the experience i want.

OK I couldn't help myself...

I've been going through many old photos during lockdown and 'rediscovering' the M9 (I still own it)

So here's a little collection of screen grabs of images where the colours (that's the colours folks, not the content etc) and tonality just make me love the M9 as much as I ever did

Oh... and most of these are presented here exactly as they arrived into LR (bar my M9 import preset, which is clarity +7, vibrance +4 and sharpening dropped to 15)

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you're quite welcome to think these look like sh*t !!!! :D

9.1.JPG
You gotta love a camera that can saturate the cluck outta red and orange yet still knows what colour caucasian skin is right? (are you listening M240? You need to take notes)

9.2.JPG
The M9 likes to invent colours, blue gets pushed to cyan, orange towards red... when it works (which isn't always...) it looks great IMHO

9.3.JPG
How did we ever coped with only 8-9 stops of DR I do not know.... (I think by blowing the sky out here, but ce la ve !!!)

9.4.JPG
35mm F8 and still subject separation

9.5.JPG
Bar possibly the red crates in the lorry, all the other reds here are M9 augmented reality

9.6.JPG
I find a certain 'step into the photo' tonality with the M9 that belies it's sensor size and the slow aperture lens I used

Anways

yay m9 love, you get the point

I suppose with the M10M, I like to freely switch between rangefinder and live view - the M9 li.. come to think of it does it even have live view? hmm might not be the experience i want.

Nope and to be honest the LCD is only good enough to tell if a photo has indeed been captured, not really good enough for checking exposure or sharpness (the histogram in playback is the DNG though, which is great)

I keep looking longingly at MP’s but my M6 is so good, it’s keeping me on the straight and narrow. I am considering the MP viewfinder upgrade though. That’s supposed to make quite a difference to the M6 experience.

nice one!

Just grab an M10. Best of all worlds. :)

I'd fancy a P/R due for quieter shutter, but R used is hard to come by.. but would hold it's value better
I’m really pleased with my P. Extra bits definitely worth it for me. 24MP more than enough for my needs. I’ve looked at the R but I don’t really need it.

I keep looking longingly at MP’s but my M6 is so good, it’s keeping me on the straight and narrow. I am considering the MP viewfinder upgrade though. That’s supposed to make quite a difference to the M6 experience.

The MP is (in my mind) an M3 with a lightmeter. Having just p/x'd my M3 I loved that camera, but putting a meter on top wasn't the same as having it in the viewfinder. Also I can't guess exposures for toffee. I prefer the ergonomics of the M3 over the M6 any day, but the lack of meter meant I never took it out. The MP will give me the M3 experience with wider framelines, and a meter.

Hi, a "portrait" ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

L1004365_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

For me bokeh, is important. I was not sure how the Lanthar would handle this. And MTFs do not say anything about bokeh ...

The latest Leica M Apo lenses have problems here:

Quite disappointing ... --- (n)

@dancook probably an m240p might do you ? has evf too... just found I prefer the m10 (normal).
Used prices for the m240 might be low enough...?

I considered the M9 aside from the price because of the sensor/colour/grain, but my budget is around 9k - so I just need to get a good deal on a 50mm 1.4 ASPH and 28mm 2.8 ASPH and I've got change for an M10 something.

Just bought a mint 50mm 1.4 ASPH for £2300, in black - would have probably preferred silver, but meh..

I made the offer based on the going rate based on past ebay sales, better than other retailers who are more expensive for lesser conditions.

getting an itch to buy a lens.. or two... thinking of these, but I am unsure whether they are too close to those I have...
1) voigtlander 35mm f1.2 (around 1.2k euro)
2) voigltander 35mm color-skopar f.25 pancake mkii + voigtlander 21mm color-skopar f4 (around 1keuro)
3) lensbaby 35mm edge optic f3.5 (around 250euro << but not low enough f# I feel)
4) something else longer.... I have 135mm thinking sigma 50-500 nikon mount... not sure if there is a long worthy leica mount lens (perhas in 'r' ?)
but its just an itch.. and it should go away... maybe...

The MP is (in my mind) an M3 with a lightmeter. Having just p/x'd my M3 I loved that camera, but putting a meter on top wasn't the same as having it in the viewfinder. Also I can't guess exposures for toffee. I prefer the ergonomics of the M3 over the M6 any day, but the lack of meter meant I never took it out. The MP will give me the M3 experience with wider framelines, and a meter.
Nice. Looking forward to your thoughts hands on. :cool:

Hi, the Leica Apo grainy bokeh topic made me curious ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

L1023566_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023566_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

L1023573_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023573_DxO-v50-2-cc.jpg

Quite nice, so far ... ---

getting an itch to buy a lens.. or two... thinking of these, but I am unsure whether they are too close to those I have...
1) voigtlander 35mm f1.2 (around 1.2k euro)
2) voigltander 35mm color-skopar f.25 pancake mkii + voigtlander 21mm color-skopar f4 (around 1keuro)
3) lensbaby 35mm edge optic f3.5 (around 250euro << but not low enough f# I feel)
4) something else longer.... I have 135mm thinking sigma 50-500 nikon mount... not sure if there is a long worthy leica mount lens (perhas in 'r' ?)
but its just an itch.. and it should go away... maybe...

Hi, my suggestions:

get the 4/21 Skopar first to let off some GAS-wind, and wait for the Voigtländer 2/35 Apo-Lanthar ... :)

Back