Official Talk Leica thread

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Awesome :) what's the first thing you're going to do with it?
Just put a roll of Double X in there and off out for my "exercise walk" round the village tomorrow. Hopefully to finish up some images for the zine exchange.

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, still looking for grainy bokeh-balls ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

Through the window:

L1023614_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023614_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

Through the window, across the street :

L1023613_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023613_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
So I went out for the first time today with the M7. And OMG it's lovely. Being able to put the shutter on auto, aperture on f/11, and scale focus with the 28mm from 1.2m to infinity is great. I can see it being a perfect street camera when we're allowed on the streets again.

This however from the M7 and the tiny Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron. With hindsight, Double-X in Diafine isn't a good fit. I'm not sure Diafine is the right developer for me. Shadow detail and sharpness was pretty poor. Back to HP5 I think.

2020-03-13-5222-m7-20.jpg

Edit My Images
Yes
lol nice idea... I wanted to ... but I think I shall resist some more... may be get the lee filters holder so I can finally use the 100x100 dark glass I got...
I will decide tomorrow - let you guys know if I do get it :)

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, my worst grainy bokeh-balls ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

L1023617_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023617_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

L1023617_DxO-v50-2-cc.jpg

So, I would like to end this series. Everybody can decide if he can live with this... The Apo-Lanthar is a good lens, I would say.

It is not perfect. But if anyone here owns a perfect lens for 1000 €, let me know, please ( :D ) ... ---

Edit My Images
Yes
Just found by accident last night that on the m10 you can move the circle (peek) area and zoom in on that area... always thought it was just in the middle...

Name
Adam Bonn
Edit My Images
No
One of the truly worthwhile upgrades over the 240 IMO (on the touchscreen Ms you can do it with your finger)

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I bought a Tiffen Black Pro-Mist filter, I took some test shots - this first shot doesn't show much.. but I do like how the light fades into darkness....

Landing by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Here's a couple of shots taken on my street, just to test out the halation of lights, something I look forward to London for :)

Tiffen Black Pro Mist by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Tiffen Black Pro Mist by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
1/4

It's 46mm and fits 21 SEM, 35 FLE & 50 Lux
I bought a 49mm one direct from Tiffen in the USA also 1/4 strength for my X100F, also fits WCL adapter for X100F, now debating on whether to get a larger one for the GFX!! Only used it a couple of times - link here to the obligatory petrol station shot! -won't post inline as its a Leica thread! Tiffen were not teh greatest company to deal with though took over 6 weeks to deliver an in stock item!

https://flic.kr/p/2ksxyV3 View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/50839859228/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I bought a 49mm one direct from Tiffen in the USA also 1/4 strength for my X100F, also fits WCL adapter for X100F, now debating on whether to get a larger one for the GFX!! Only used it a couple of times - link here to the obligatory petrol station shot! -won't post inline as its a Leica thread!
I do like how it bleeds the light into the scene, can't wait to get out there to try it on something more interesting :)

Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to decide whether I like the Sonnar f/1.5 and finding myself shooting it wide open just to see how pronounced that focus shift is. I reckon the "tilt" that Jonathan Notley goes on about on his video is bang on.

This, my go-to target for sharpness test. Focussed on the eye at f/1.5, and whilst the sharpness is "ok" there, it's a few cm in front of it that's really sharp.
Interesting, I'm pretty sure my copy of the Sonnar f/1.5 focuses accurately at f/1.5 while there is a few cm back fokus at f/2.8.

I'm not sure which I prefer, while the depth of field is shallower at f/1.5, and it is the kind of lens I would tend to use wide open, it is probably easier to lean forward a few cm at f/1.5 than to lean backward at f/2.8.

[Edit: spelling]

Last edited:
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, comparing my 2 most modern lenses (Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 8) :

Lanthar, whole view:

L1023760_DxO-v50-8.jpg

Lanthar middle crop :

L1023760_DxO-v50-8-cm.jpg

ZEISS middle crop :

L1004685_DxO-z35d-8c.jpg

Lanthar middle right crop :

L1023760_DxO-v50-8-cr.jpg

ZEISS middle right crop :

L1004685_DxO-z35d-8-cr.jpg

Everything was controlled to make this comparison valid. Of course, the relevance of comparing a 35mm and a 50mm lens can be debated.

So, some might see it as advanced esoterics ... --- :)

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
I meant the cv version
Hi, I am not sure, whether the VOIGTLÄNDER will be tangibly better than my 35mm ZEISS Distagon I am quite happy with, apart from its size and weight.

The cv is 35g lighter, but is 3mm wider and 2 mm longer, and slower, and has no FLE.

So, not much progress here. - And I do not know what its bokeh will be like ...

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
So today my last new camera arrived.

IMG_1695.jpg

And my M6 goes off to Ffordes to compensate. So glad I did it. Much prefer the film advance & rewind knob. It's like having my M3 back again only now I have a lightmeter and 28mm framelines! The M7 is a great compliment to it with aperture priority for easier shooting. All I need to do now is take some decent pictures!