Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, Ernst Leitz Tele-Elmar 4/135 (scalloped focussing knurl from the 60s) on M9.

f 4:

L1012355_DxO-f-L135m-4c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1002942-L135-8c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 8:

L1012400_DxO-f-L135m-8_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Focussing any lens longer than 75mm on the M9 is not pure bliss, mildly put ... --- The M10 with liveview should handle better, I suppose.

Last edited:
Hi, a riddle for the weekend. Here are my M mount 50s (Summarit 2,5, Summicron, ZEISS Planar 2/50, ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50):

50mmM-tp.jpg

Now, which lens were the pictures taken with (I know, I took them :)D)), all f 2,8:

01-tp.jpg

02-tp.jpg

03-tp.jpg

04-tp.jpg

Maybe you should’ve taken exactly the same scene with each lens?
Sure, I could have done that. - But I tried to show that normally used, it is almost impossible to tell them apart.

They do have different resolution - a shown by a lenstrental test - and the handling is different, the lens cover being difficult to attach when the shade is mounted with the ZEISS.

Only wide open the Sonnar is different, but for enjoying this special capability one must put up with focus shift (easier to live with on the M10 with liveview).

Under controlled conditions (and not with forum quality), the different rendering might be seen, but again, not in normal use.

Things might be different with the Noctilux, the Summilux and the Apo Summicron. - But these I do not have ... :crying:

Last edited:
Sure, I could have done that. - But I tried to show that normally used, it is almost impossible to tell them apart.

They do have different resolution - a shown by a lenstrental test - and the handling is different, the lens cover being difficult to attach when the shade is mounted with the ZEISS.

Only wide open the Sonnar is different, but for enjoying this special capability one must put up with focus shift (easier to live with on the M10 with liveview).

Under controlled conditions (and not with forum quality), the different rendering might be seen, but again, not in normal use.

Things might be different with the Noctilux, the Summilux and the Apo Summicron. - But these I do not have ... :crying:

I've not tried the Summarit, but did own a Summicron, which is perhaps the sharpest Leica lens I've owned and possibly the best value. It is not much more expensive than the Summarit. It's weakness is the lack of a focus tab and I don't like the pull-out hoods.

The Zeiss 50/f2 is the best value for money of the lot with fabulous optics. I've owned one and my son now has one.

The Zeiss 50/f1.5 is a very old design and flawed by modern standards. If you want a quirky fast 50, I've got the Voighlander 50/f1.1. I hardly use it because ...

The Leica 50/f1.4 Summilux ASPH is a superb everyday lens - sharp, fast, great optics generally, and great ergonomics (don't get the silver one as it is significantly heavier).

I've not tried the Summarit, but did own a Summicron, which is perhaps the sharpest Leica lens I've owned and possibly the best value. It is not much more expensive than the Summarit. It's weakness is the lack of a focus tab and I don't like the pull-out hoods.

The Zeiss 50/f2 is the best value for money of the lot with fabulous optics. I've owned one and my son now has one.

The Zeiss 50/f1.5 is a very old design and flawed by modern standards. If you want a quirky fast 50, I've got the Voighlander 50/f1.1. I hardly use it because ...

The Leica 50/f1.4 Summilux ASPH is a superb everyday lens - sharp, fast, great optics generally, and great ergonomics (don't get the silver one as it is significantly heavier).

Hi, handling is very much a matter of personal experience and preferences ... The Summicron (pic #1 above) is very good, however it is a little flare-prone. I shall try to find an example in my files.

The Summarit (pic #2 above) is much better against the sun. (Its hood can be used with the 2,5/35 Summarit, too(, which I also have).)

On the Planar (pic #3 above) I agree with you. The Sonnar (pic #4 above) is a "character lens", good wide open, and from f 5,6, too. Some say, it is two lenses in one ... ---

Thank you for sharing your Summilux experiences!

The 50s shootout by lensrentals:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

Hi, handling is very much a matter of personal experience and preferences ... The Summicron (pic #1 above) is very good, however it is a little flare-prone. I shall try to find an example in my files.

The Summarit (pic #2 above) is much better against the sun. (Its hood can be used with the 2,5/35 Summarit, too(, which I also have).)

On the Planar (pic #3 above) I agree with you. The Sonnar (pic #4 above) is a "character lens", good wide open, and from f 5,6, too. Some say, it is two lenses in one ... ---

Thank you for sharing your Summilux experiences!

The 50s shootout by lensrentals:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

Thanks, scanned that and it seems that the Lux is a winner and the Otus is close to it, and at around the same price, good news for Sony, Canon and Nikon users.

The images at 1396 and 1398 were with the 50 Lux on M10.

Here's one on film, ISO 3200 I seem to recall.

]
42457518302_8ff57f368b_k.jpg

Thanks, scanned that and it seems that the Lux is a winner and the Otus is close to it, and at around the same price, good news for Sony, Canon and Nikon users.

The images at 1396 and 1398 were with the 50 Lux on M10.
Hi, the lensrental test allows many conclusions, based on which properties of a lens one values most. You can't have it all, still applies to lens design, even when price is no object, as shown by the Apo-Summicron.

ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 on Leica M9:

f 1,5:

L1012548_DxO-f-z50s-15_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1012530_DxO-f-z50s-15c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1012533_DxO-f-z50s-15_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 8:

L1008991-z50s-8_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Hi, yesterday at the Classic Gala in Schwetzingen. Summicron 2/35 pre-asph, M9, open, crop:

L1013405_DxO-L35cron-2-c-tp.jpg

f 4, crop:

L1013406_DxO-L35cron-8-c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, a few Swiss pics (and one from Mainz) with my Leica Summarit 2,5/75 on M9:

f 2,5:

L1011816_DxO-L75-25-tp.jpg

L1011699_DxO-f-L75-25c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 4:

L1011836_DxO-f-L75-4_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 8:

L1011808_DxO-f-L75-8_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 4:

L1011830_DxO-f-L75-4_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Went to the Leica store in Porto, Portugal last week... real nice! Turned into a big kid of course :D One of the chaps gave me a nice mini tour of a few things in there, showed me the latest cameras and the very first digital cameras. Nice gallery too!

Went to the Leica store in Porto, Portugal last week... real nice! Turned into a big kid of course :D One of the chaps gave me a nice mini tour of a few things in there, showed me the latest cameras and the very first digital cameras. Nice gallery too!
Oh, I should have gone there, when I was in Porto... :sorry: There is a Leica factory near Porto, too (since 1973).

ZEISS Biogon 4/18 on M9:

f 4:

L1011323_DxO-f-z18-4c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 8:

L1011337_DxO-f-z18-8_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1011336_DxO-f-z18-8_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1011350_DxO-f-z18c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1011361_DxO-z18-8c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

That sounds like it was Bruno!

The disassembled displays are awsome and shows off a lot about the brand IMO

Hi, LEICA Elmarit 2,8/21 ASPH on M9:

f 2,8:

L1005654-L21-28-tp.jpg

f 8:

L1001807-L21-8-tp.jpg

L1005524-L12-8-tp.jpg

L1005626-L21-8-tp.jpg

L1002666-L21-56tp.jpg

(The 21 Elmarit is my dearest (also financially) and my best 21mm M mount lens of 3, the others being ZEISS Distagon 4,5/21 and VOIGTLÄNDER Skopar 4/21. The Distagon shows colour shift (pink corners) on the M9.

On the SONY A7R2 they are useable, requiring the SONY lens correction app, however.

The Skopar I shall try out again ...)

Last edited:
Did you do much to the images with the Planar? I like the Zeiss rendering and keep thinking about getting the 50mm planar but never finally do it.

Did you do much to the images with the Planar? I like the Zeiss rendering and keep thinking about getting the 50mm planar but never finally do it.
Hi, image 1 - 4 were JPEGs, with a little brightening, using PS Elements. #5 was a RAW, a little exposure correction and microcontrast enhancement, by DXO.

The Planar is a good lens, only the handling is a little awkward - when you want to attach the lens cap and the original ZEISS hood is fitted.

It is good value for money, especially used, its next closest rival being the Leica Summarit 2,5/50 ... ---

Here you find reviews:

https://sites.google.com/site/wosim...richte-objektive-leica-lens-reviews-40mm-60mm

Last edited:
Hi, LEICA Elmar 3,8/24 ASPH on M9:

f 3,8:

L1012009_DxO-f-L3824-38_bearbeitet-1.jpg

f 8:

L1011211-L3824-8c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1011999_DxO-f-L3824-8_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1002018-L2438--tp.jpg

L1002053-L24_bearbeitet-1.jpg

(I bought this Elmar after the 21mm Elmarit, because I wanted a lens with a "more modern" construction. And after the Elmar I bought the 24mm Elmarit to find out whether an older version of a lens works better on my SONY A7R2
than a more modern one. - On the Leica M9 both 24s show the same performance. (I was a little surprised at the CAs in the castle pic, though ... ))

Douro Fog by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

We were going to go the beach on this day, but at the last moment we decided on jardins do palacio de cristal (garden of the crystal palace)

Just as well as we dodged a bullet, well a bucket load of daytime Atlantic fog anyway!

Quality... is the AF any good?

Until we hear from dancook: ;)

https://craigmod.com/essays/leica_q/

"The Q’s autofocus is fast and dependable. It makes my other cameras feel downright sluggish. Out of the approximately 8,000 photos I’ve taken over the last six months, only a dozen or so were missed because of improper target lock."

Ibid. --- Sounds good ... ---

Qualifications here:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-q-typ116/5

"Remembering that the Leica Q utilizes a contrast-detect-only focus system, single-point single autofocus works incredibly well. Speed and accuracy are excellent under almost any lighting conditions, even with low contrast in a scene." Ibid ...

Last edited:
Back