Official Talk Leica thread

Funnily enough I was just about to DM you about this to see if you'd got it yet. Great to see you're happy with it :) Enjoy!

I haven't actually taken any photos from it off the sd card yet, but I'm sure all is well..

I'll do your forum feedback this week as well

Haven't used the 50 'lux in anger yet... kid's birthday, Mum was in town so not a time to slope off and do street... don't often do public posts of my kid, but I just went through 200+ of them (all taken with the new 50) and I know a couple of you wanted to see samples

so here goes!

(might have missed focus on her slightly, looks better full size and not at 1000px, anyway - pleased with how the lens renders!)

L1018393.LR.jpg

Hi, the "Iron Girl" in Schwelm (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. f 2,8 crop, full picture thumbnail) :

L1018538_DxO-L28a-28-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1018538_DxO-L28a-28-tp.jpg
    L1018538_DxO-L28a-28-tp.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 4
Just added the 50mm 7Artisans f1.1 and a used 15mm f4.5 voigtlander to the GAS...
So far the 50mm I think I will get on with.. need to try properly and see.
The 15mm is very small and light. Being used I am unsure about whether it can focus to the 0.5 (seems to stop around the 1mtr mark) << not sure this is normal. But at the same time it is mainly going to be used at close to infinity/5mtrs so shouldnt cause a problem.
Does anyone else have it and do the protective shade bits come off ?

Just added the 50mm 7Artisans f1.1 and a used 15mm f4.5 voigtlander to the GAS...
So far the 50mm I think I will get on with.. need to try properly and see.
The 15mm is very small and light. Being used I am unsure about whether it can focus to the 0.5 (seems to stop around the 1mtr mark) << not sure this is normal. But at the same time it is mainly going to be used at close to infinity/5mtrs so shouldnt cause a problem.
Does anyone else have it and do the protective shade bits come off ?

If you’re using the rangefinder then I think it can only focus to about 0.7m even if the lens is capable of closer focus

ok.. :) thanks
Next problem.. I bought it with lee filters 100mm (big stopper) assuming that the website which offers it would only do so should the lens be compatible with the filters.
1) no holder ... so I am looking for one of those (not sure which one I need)
2) the 15mm has a fixed hood, so cant use the lee filter even with clamp bit - yet was advertised as a bundle on the website... :/
3) which holder do I get ? or are they flexible? Maybe I can use with the 28mm

Just spent 3 weeks in Vietnam with my M3.
Didn’t shoot as many rolls as I imagined I would, but it’s the first trip without medium format. I love using the camera and I’m crossing my fingers at least a few are in focus as I am no street photographer.

I’m still considering adding a second M body depending on the results from these. If I do, it will either be the M6 or MP with 35mm summicron (I will sell my current goggled 35mm to help fund).

Hi, I've had M6's and currently have an MP and M2, and I much prefer the MP & M2 over the M6... Having said that, I'm sure there's plenty of people with the opposite opinion!

Hi, I've had M6's and currently have an MP and M2, and I much prefer the MP & M2 over the M6... Having said that, I'm sure there's plenty of people with the opposite opinion!

Yes! Had m2 and m6. Liked both but the m6 was smoother to use and just nicer to use.

...And what do you think of the lens?

It’s a bit early to tell... I might have expected a little more bite wide open... but some tripod testing confirm it’s focusing ok with my rangefinder, so I think it’s down to my technique (ie lack of experience with it) plus as well it’s been binary light, need an ND filter weather here.

Stopped down it’s razor sharp

The build quality is sublime, the only other example i’ve used had a far less stiff aperture ring, and this one has a lovely click and a well damped focus ring!

this is sharper than it looks at the export settings I've used for the web!

the transition to oof areas is wonderful

L1018397.LR.jpg

at f5.6 (i think, you know LR + leica questimated aperture values right?!) it's as sharp as you'd ever need (and this isn't a crop, I was that close)

L1018411.LR.jpg

another one wide open... but this is through a 2 stop (B+W) ND, which might well have an impact on res

L1018615.LR.jpg

I'm not really anal about sharpness... (honest!) I feel sharpness is more about the relationship of all the elements in the shot rather than zooming into 200% and looking at nothing.

I'm content that it's focusing well enough with the RF (which is important)

The bokeh is nice (IMO) not too gnarly or like onion rings etc!

I'm a happy bunny, not really had enough quality time with it yet... need to get it like I am with the other lenses I have (bar the 90 which I hardly use) in that I just know them and can almost focus by muscle memory and make a quarter decent job of gauging focus and recompose

I've not been taking so many pictures in the past 3 months, been busy with other things and I was a bit over saturated with going to the same places (for about 4 years) so I'm probably off my own level of my own game a bit.

I'm not seeing anything which concerns me, just possibilities that excite me!

Hi, water, vineyards (and rivets ( :D )) under the bridge ... (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. f 8 crop, full picture thumbnail) :

L1018528_DxO-L28a-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1018528_DxO-L28a-8-tp.jpg
    L1018528_DxO-L28a-8-tp.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 6
Hi

After quite a few year break from photography to concentrate on my business and audio system, I decided it was time to get back into it. I have shot mostly Canon, a little with Nikon and finally Leica M8 then M9, as i really like my leica's but stuggle with the rangefinder focusing, I decided to go Leica SL which I have just purchased secondhand (got a craking deal on it), I will be looking at adding Leicas 24-90 L mount, and a 24mm and 50m, and possibly a 14mm, I loved the Canon 14mm L and the 50mm f1.2 L, does anyone know if these will work with AF using the Novoflex adaptor ?. and if so what the AF speed is like ?.

Has anyone used the Lumix L mount 24-105 IS f4 on the SL and how is it image wise and focus speed ?.

thanks in advance.

ok.. :) thanks
Next problem.. I bought it with lee filters 100mm (big stopper) assuming that the website which offers it would only do so should the lens be compatible with the filters.
1) no holder ... so I am looking for one of those (not sure which one I need)
2) the 15mm has a fixed hood, so cant use the lee filter even with clamp bit - yet was advertised as a bundle on the website... :/
3) which holder do I get ? or are they flexible? Maybe I can use with the 28mm

Hi, I love my Voigtlander 15mm and 10mm (those starbursts!!) :) Yes, the hood is fixed, however you can use a screw thread filter with the 15mm. I've used Hoya ND filters to great effect.

ok... So purchased the Lightroom subscription to try out the processing. Only tried one photo so far and once I get the flow in LR, I think it might be a lot better...
I already have the ufraws processed to jpgs, and was going to use Gimp to process (like I have for quite some time) but I think I will stop and add to the LR and try that.
Note this was a test shot from the balcony at a dusk type light, so I dont know about the shade part casting the edges darker / chromatic abrasion... The others I took today seem to be ok - time will tell :)

Lightroom processed (note I am still learning it so there may be some, problems with the best settings)

UFraw and Gimp processing

still that said, the draw of 1.4 is high!

L1018720.LR.jpg

I took this to see how 'messy' bg rendering was. I'm not unhappy with those leaves!

L1018724.LR.jpg

Trying to get my wide open focus/recompose feel... it's coming

L1018734.LR.jpg

I guess focus on this, they watched me if i picked the camera up (I was sitting on the next table along) so I turned 180 deg, focused on something I thought was about the same distance away, then popped the camera down on my table facing them, leaned over to my beer and my elbow must have rested on the shutter :D

=====

I'm still just playing around with this lens really, trying to learn how I can make it work for me.

It seems highly sensitive to how well I hold the camera still!!! It's not forgiving.

I would GUESS it renders differently to the summicron (which I still have, but it's boxed up and ready to sell - I decided not to play comparisons between the two as I didn't want to find a reason to justify keeping the cron!!) the lux look is more modern for want of a better word and I think MAYBE less contrasty.

Back