Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, the Dom in Worms/D (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/24 asph. f 8) :

L1000952_DxO-L24a-tp.jpg

There are several reviews of the Elmarit 2,8/24 asph. some comparing it to the Elmar 3,8/24 asph, all seing both as identical in performance in everyday use,
the Elmarit being faster, of course.

For me, the Elmarit is more practical in situations like the one above. In some German cathedrals, amateurs are not allowed to use tripods, or even monopods.

And then, the Elmarit can rest level on the shade (if you find a suitable surface).

My lens-shade for the ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 does not do this. It is also for the 4,5/21. So I ordered a ZEISS lens-shade that also fits the 2,8/28 to see if this is better...

Last edited:
cutie crap (don't hate me I was bored... I'm supposed to be getting ready to move house and I'm procrastinating like a motherf******)

M1001475.LR.jpg

M1001477.LR.jpg

It wasn't all just 90, 90, 90 though..

I also had the 35 summarit and the opportunity to ignore some 'no entry' signs, scale a fence and a wall and get my wabi vibe on

M1001494.LR.jpg

M1001516.LR.jpg

And lastly (and I suspect leastly in terms of photographical content...)

I also had the 50 'lux ASPH with me, and I probably wasn't really allowed in these allotments either!!

(If I don't post anything here for 2 weeks, then I've probably been arrested so please alert the British consulate and send bail money. Cheers)

M1001435.LR.jpg

M1001438.LR.jpg

and that's not all!!!! (you perhaps wish it was though)

I just got back from a little UK trip with mrs. Adam, who hadn't been to the south-ish of the UK (where I'm originally from) before

So we took a short drive to Oxford

M1001395.LR.jpg

M1001403.LR.jpg

M1001404.LR.jpg

all of this gave me a good chance to really get to grips with the m240 (which is the only camera I took)

There's also some family photos and little walks to nowhere that I snapped

On the whole I'm really pleased with the greater versatility over the M9p (which I still have of course)

The high ISO, well compared to the M9, is very liberating.

I haven't completely got my head around the files and PP and how it stacks up with the M9... The M9 is perhaps more organic looking and perhaps sharper at pixel-peeping levels of anal retentiveness

The colours are a little different to the M9, the files seem a little warmer and need a little more work in PP.

But I'm not at all unhappy with the files I'm getting, which is the important thing!

I continue to be pleased with my choice of 35/90 summarits... I don't doubt that if I upgraded to a 35 FLE and a 90 APO I'd be completely wowed by the upgrade, but that's serious money... and for my usage of occasional 90 shots, and mainly using the 35 stopped down a bit I think these lens deliver what I need

Hi, in Worms/D (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/24 asph. f 2,8; crop) :

L1000945_DxO-L24a-28-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1000945_DxO-L24a-28-tp.jpg
    L1000945_DxO-L24a-28-tp.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 4
... I don't doubt that if I upgraded to a 35 FLE and a 90 APO I'd be completely wowed by the upgrade, but that's serious money...

Hi, I have always been looking for the opinion of someone who owns the 35 Summilux and the 35 Distagon:

"I do own both the Summicron Asph I and the Zeiss, and honestly, I’m thinking of selling the Leica if not for it small size and the mantra “never ever sell a Leica lens”.

Yes it’s a big lens by Leica standard, it protrudes a bit in the viewfinder, but the images speaks for itselves in my opinion.."

I found it here, #10 : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282639-recommend-zeiss-35mm-f14-distagon-t-zm/

Hi, I have always been looking for the opinion of someone who owns the 35 Summilux and the 35 Distagon:

"I do own both the Summicron Asph I and the Zeiss, and honestly, I’m thinking of selling the Leica if not for it small size and the mantra “never ever sell a Leica lens”.

Yes it’s a big lens by Leica standard, it protrudes a bit in the viewfinder, but the images speaks for itselves in my opinion.."

I found it here, #10 : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282639-recommend-zeiss-35mm-f14-distagon-t-zm/

Big, that's an understatement.... it's a whopper in comparison!
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topi...4-distagon-t-zm/?tab=comments#comment-3479075

Hi, I would prefer the Summilux size at the Distagon price. :D

The Distagon is not my bulkiest 35 - this is my Voigtländer Nokton 1,2/35.

i crunched the numbers at upgrading the 35 rit to the 35 ‘cron, and it’ll be about £600 if I could get max secondhand value for my ‘rit and manage to find a (6bit) 35 ‘cron at the cheapest they go for...

I can’t really justify that.. I could scape the money together (I just cashed out of the fuji stuff, bar an X-Pro1) but I can’t begin to get my head around why I’d want too.. I don’t doubt that the cron is sharper and has less distortion* - probably feels nicer on the focus throw etc too...

I guess I just don’t think that sharper corners and half a stop are worth that money.. for me 35mm is more about “f8 and be there” than bokeh. OMMV

The original 35 lux ASPH is supposed to suffer from focus shift, which makes the FLE the one to get I suppose... But that makes the 50 ‘lux ASPH look cheap!

So I’m left thinking that it’s either got to be 35 FLE (maybe one day) or be content with the rit, and avoid the ‘cron as an unnecessary half way stop between what I already have and what I’d like**

(but knowing me I’ll say all that and see a bargain cron somewhere and not be able to resist!)

*not that the rit has that much distortion.. the LR profile for it fixes it anyway, sometimes I turn the profile off because with a central subject it pops a bit more with the distortion!

**now I have an EVF leica, I really ought to look at some sort of macro tube for my occasional macro... although I find my pany LX100 to be a great macro camera

Hi, I think the step from the Summarit 2,5/35 to the current Summicron is not a big step forward, the Summicron being just a little faster.

(I have the last version before the asph.)

Both are aspherical. Leica did not stress this regarding the Summarit, in order to make the Summicron look more valuable ...

If you want a little more speed and not spend a lot, there is the ZEISS Biogon 2/35, I also have. But this has the ZEISS size ...

The same goes for the Distagon. It has a FLE design, but is havier (60 g, I think) and ca. 20mm longer than the Summilux.

Optimally, the choice between the two should be made after having used both for a few days.

Up to now, I have not seen compelling reasons for me to buy the Summilux too.

But you never know, when rainy December evenings come, and I do not know what Christmas present to buy for myself ... ---

All this talk of lenses. In the old days it would have got me all excited and the GAS would kick in. Now with the set up I have (Summi 40mm, voigt 35 Nokton, voigt 50 1.2) I have very little GAS.

I’d like a second 40mm Summi so I don’t have to think about changing lenses when I use M6 & M10 together and maybe a 28mm of some description.

However all being said I’m more interested in a second M6 at present, so I can shoot colour on one and b&w on another. Problem is trying to find a sensible priced M6 and of course maybe even a third 40mm Summi. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Hi, I think the step from the Summarit 2,5/35 to the current Summicron is not a big step forward, the Summicron being just a little faster.

(I have the last version before the asph.)

Both are aspherical. Leica did not stress this regarding the Summarit, in order to make the Summicron look more valuable ...

If you want a little more speed and not spend a lot, there is the ZEISS Biogon 2/35, I also have. But this has the ZEISS size ...

The same goes for the Distagon. It has a FLE design, but is havier (60 g, I think) and ca. 20mm longer than the Summilux.

Optimally, the choice between the two should be made after having used both for a few days.

Up to now, I have not seen compelling reasons for me to buy the Summilux too.

But you never know, when rainy December evenings come, and I do not know what Christmas present to buy for myself ... ---

I find the size of the Zeiss the most off putting... and a little bit the lack of 6bit coding (I like to know what lens I used and I know I’d be rubbish at remembering to enter it manually)

I thought about getting the TTartisan 35/1.4... but I think I’ll pass... I have the 50mm f1.1 7artisans and I know the story already, GREAT lens for the money, but an average lens by any other maxim and no doubt it’ll want stopping down a lot to even get close to what the summarit can do at moderate apertures

I don’t really do wide angle... but I have to confess that a 25mm/2.8 Biogon is rather tempting, and perhaps a very good use of the skills that Zeiss are famous for (lots of across the frame sharpness)

I hope you do decide to get the FLE, it would be great to hear your views and see your pictures

All this talk of lenses. In the old days it would have got me all excited and the GAS would kick in. Now with the set up I have (Summi 40mm, voigt 35 Nokton, voigt 50 1.2) I have very little GAS.

I’d like a second 40mm Summi so I don’t have to think about changing lenses when I use M6 & M10 together and maybe a 28mm of some description.

However all being said I’m more interested in a second M6 at present, so I can shoot colour on one and b&w on another. Problem is trying to find a sensible priced M6 and of course maybe even a third 40mm Summi. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

“I’m GAS free, well except I want two more lenses and another body”

A bit like wristwatches, photography really can be a disease sometimes can’t it? :D

“I’m GAS free, well except I want two more lenses and another body”
Haha! Yeah, suppose it does sound a bit like that doesn’t it. :ROFLMAO:

It’s not really GAS, more of a wish list particularly the M6. That damned thing has got right under my skin!

I find the size of the Zeiss the most off putting... and a little bit the lack of 6bit coding (I like to know what lens I used and I know I’d be rubbish at remembering to enter it manually)

I thought about getting the TTartisan 35/1.4... but I think I’ll pass... I have the 50mm f1.1 7artisans and I know the story already, GREAT lens for the money, but an average lens by any other maxim and no doubt it’ll want stopping down a lot to even get close to what the summarit can do at moderate apertures

I don’t really do wide angle... but I have to confess that a 25mm/2.8 Biogon is rather tempting, and perhaps a very good use of the skills that Zeiss are famous for (lots of across the frame sharpness)

I hope you do decide to get the FLE, it would be great to hear your views and see your pictures

Hi, neither do I like the size of the Distagon. Having used the Summicron over 30 years, my taste is very much rigid. And I see it when selecting lenses for going out.

I somehow have to bring myself to use the bigger ones every now and then. (That is why I have lost interest in the latest "heavy metal" SONY lenses ... )

The 25 Biogon is a very good lens, equal in performance to the 24 Elmarit and the Elmar - at least in my hands ... I got the 25/28 ZEISS lenshood delivered today,
and now it sits level on the M9, (not looking down,) like the Elmarit.

The Summilux FLE is still open for me, because the Distagon is an FLE, too ... --- ZEISS put too little emphasis on this, I think.

Hi, neither do I like the size of the Distagon. Having used the Summicron over 30 years, my taste is very much rigid. And I see it when selecting lenses for going out.

I somehow have to bring myself to use the bigger ones every now and then. (That is why I have lost interest in the latest "heavy metal" SONY lenses ... )

The 25 Biogon is a very good lens, equal in performance to the 24 Elmarit and the Elmar - at least in my hands ... I got the 25/28 ZEISS lenshood delivered today,
and now it sits level on the M9, (not looking down,) like the Elmarit.

The Summilux FLE is still open for me, because the Distagon is an FLE, too ... --- ZEISS put too little emphasis on this, I think.

I think as well (cliché it may be) that small lenses are the USP of the M system, and as much as perfectly like-for-like quality wise Zeiss may be for M glass they sure are bigger when compared with exactly the same spec M lenses

I’m also surprised that Zeiss don’t make more of the FLE design, would seem to be a no brainer! Leica make a whole new lens to incorporate FLE, then charge around £4000 for it, and Zeiss could be there saying, ‘hey we have that too, but so, so much cheaper’

I think for me... I generally prefer 50mm (although for some reason I like and use 35mm on the M way more than I did 23mm on the apsc Fuji) so having the 50 lux asph feels like I put the ‘big bucks’ on my M system in the right place!

Hi, I suppose there is a lot of engineering spirit in the ZEISS company, people thinking, products will simply sell based on merit,
without needing marketing ...

I must say, that my experience with ZEISS lenses goes further back than with Leica. The ROLLEI 35 I bought in 1975 had the famous ZEISS Tessar "Adlerauge" (eagle's eye),
and I liked using ROLLEIs very much over the years ...

Last edited:
Hi, a fool dancing outside the Ministry of the Interior in Mainz/D (Leica M9- VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 1,2/35 v1, f 2, crop) :

L1021463_DxO-v35-12-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1021463_DxO-v35-12-tp.jpg
    L1021463_DxO-v35-12-tp.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 5
Trying to get my 7 year old daughter into photography... she did ok!

(taken with my “Leica” phone)

4A8F47F9-A464-451A-84C2-01B5D91D93D3.jpeg

Hi, Dom. Mainz/D (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25, f 2,8; crop) :

L1001032_DxO-z25-c-28-tp.jpg

I have used my overhauled silver M9 for a couple of days. It seems to work better than the black one, which got a new sensor, but not the full Leica treatment.

The scrolling wheel of the newer one has better contacts, and scrolls just one pic back or forth. So, I am happy with my old-iron purchase for € 1975.

The new lens-shade of the 25 Bogon supports the camera better. However, it is wider, and the camera does not slide as easily into my jacket pocket,
despite me having deep pockets ... ---

Attachments

• L1001032_DxO-z25b-28-t.jpg
    L1001032_DxO-z25b-28-t.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I find the 35mm 2.8 Zeiss biogon perfect for street photography on my m240. It is a very compact lens and doesn’t block the viewfinder at all. Great results too.

...mainly toying with the idea... saw a fujifilm g50r plus lens for same price as this leica... but not handled it so not sure whether it is worth changing... Probably shiny GAS...

the 50r is the size of a SUV

Leica is more compact and I tend to prefer the organic images coming from the M sensor coupled with an M lens or a Zeiss lens. Fuji makes some cracking glass as well but go handle the camera before buying.

Back