Official Talk Leica thread

It's raining hard, still on lock down, feeling bored

So I thought I'd play with the 7artisans on the 240 and the cat

Bored Cat / Bored Photographer by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Amusingly* the 7artisans doesn't play so nice with the six-bit code reader on the 240 as it does on the M9, often recording an 'unknown lens' value.

This isn't the end of the world, but my auto ISO is based on the camera knowing the focal length, when it doesn't it likes to chose things like ISO200 and 1/8th of a second :rolleyes:

A little tweak to a set SS for ISO (rather than 2 x FL) and all is good again. I'd be a little miffed about the lack of lens info in the exif, but frankly I've hardly touched the 7artisans since getting the 50 'lux, so I'm not getting worked up about it!

*amusement wasn't my first response!

Oh yeah, edit PS

The above shot is about min focus and with the rangefinder (and I managed 3 shots in focus before he jumped off the table) so I guess I calibrated it OK

Last edited:
It's good to see that the cat who lets you live with him is bringing her up the right way. (y) :LOL:

She's quite scared of that cat.... and wisely so. Her other experience of cats is a cute little 3.5kg one which is so placid that a vet once told me she was the nicest cat he'd ever had work with.

This cat however is a 7+kg rescue tom that grew up on the streets fighting for survival against all the other stray cats, he's sweet enough, until he he's not in the mood then..... well unlike in space, on earth everyone can hear you scream!!

Hi, ... (SONY NEX5-N - VOIGTLÄNDER VM-E Close focus Adapter - Leica Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. v1 f 2,8 ):

DSC02062-nex5-L28a-28-tp.jpg

I am quite satisfied with the IQ. Having a tilting screen for pics like this is nice - when there is no sun. My old NEX5-N has no viewfinder. But I could use an A7R2
in APS-C mode. With this, I have a viewfinder and at 18MP still decent resolution - hopefully - without the "FF" problems (colour shift, weak corners).

The NEX-6 with 16MP worked nicely with M mount lenses, the problems started with the NEX-7 with 24MP.

Things to try out on rainy (or self-isolating) days ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, ... (SONY NEX5-N - VOIGTLÄNDER VM-E Close focus Adapter - Leica Summicron 2/35 f 8 ):

DSC02097-nex5-L35c-8-tp.jpg

DSC02097-nex5-L35c-8-c-tp.jpg

Another pocket-camera created with my components. - I hope, I am not facing a relapse - virologically speaking - to my adapting days ... ---

But these pocket-combos are most attractive. On the other hand, what are the real benefits? For adapting to APS-C cameras I listed some above.

Still, there are some side-effects: You lose speed (f 2 becomes f 3), focal length increases (30mm become 45mm).

Looking from an M9 perspective: With the "FF" SONY A7R2 I have live view, tilting screen, higher ISOs, IBIS, shutter speed up to 1/8000.

M mount lenses are more compact and lighter than native SONY/ZEISS lenses, which are much cheaper (than Leica), and some SONY lenses have AF.

My personal conclusion, based on my Leica M and SONY/ZEISS inventory: Having the FE 2/28, (with AF) the 28mm Elmarit gives me compactness,
but with side-effects (colour shift, weak corners) and loss of AF.

Using a "FF" camera in APS-C mode requires an 1,4/18mm (roughly), if one wants functional equivalence.

So, there may be reasons for adapting Leica M mount lenses, fl longer than 35mm such as rendering, but I have not experienced compelling reasons if you have both systems.

(Hairdresser's are closed in Germany. So, I tell it here ... ( :LOL: ) ---

Last edited:
Nice one Adam. Very atmospheric.

Hi, my model ... (Leica M9 - LEITZ (Leica) Tele-Elmarit-M 2,8/90. f 2,8, crop) :

L1021707_DxO-L901-28-c-tp.jpg

Nice background separation, perhaps not 3D-pop, but only 2,75D ... --- :)

Attachments

• L1021707_DxO-L901-28-tp.jpg
    L1021707_DxO-L901-28-tp.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 3
Put my mind at rest Immo. That looks like a punishment collar.

Well, it is for training purposes, and when walking. I have had to use it since Basima was 1 year old.

She always pulled on the leash like a Husky, and it was impossible to walk with her in the streets.

The problem with her: She comes from a police-dog breeder and does not feel pain. Even when I grab her by the neck, and shake her, she does not mind,
wagging her tail, and looking forward to some rough play. So, she is tough.

We must live with the collar. Sorry. Now, she is 6 years. Maybe, she will get quieter, and she will get a nice leather collar then.

If anyone sees a good Summicron M 50mm collapsible for sale, please let me know. I used to have one, but sold it to buy the latest one & didn't like that..
Thanks.

Hi, no rain here near Mainz/D for over 4 weeks! The top 20cm are like concrete, water in the ground below 180cm ... (SONY NEX5N - Leica Summicron 2/35 v4, f 5,6):

DSC02102-nex5-L35c-56-tp.jpg

Well, it is for training purposes, and when walking. I have had to use it since Basima was 1 year old.

She always pulled on the leash like a Husky, and it was impossible to walk with her in the streets.

Shame there is no dislike button as well as the like.

We have a German Shepard/Husky cross rescue dog we bought back from Spain as a pup and he pulls like mad on the lead. He is 12 years old now and coming to his final years but in all that time I would never have used anything like that on him.

Hi, my M9 with the Tele-Elmarit-M 2,8/90 and lens-hood #12575. Not designed by designers, but Deutsche Ingenieure, made to last ... --- :

DSC02104-nex5-L35c-56-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Been playing with my london pics and with capture one pro....

am also bored, so going to spam you all silly with london pics today

sorry

don't hate me

(I'm liking capture one and the m240, when tried c1 vs LR on the m9 I didn't see much difference, so though screw changing, no need... on the 240 though the differences are far more major)

first set

M1001065.C1.jpg

M1001105.C1.jpg

M1001127.C1.jpg

Back