Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, I went through my Porto pics to find the locations, which looked familiar ... ---

The first rose from my garden this year (Leica M9 - LEITZ Tele-Elmar 4/135 f 4) :

it’s across the street from Sao Bento, in fact pretty much the view as you leave the station by foot!

It’s standing at the station and looking down rua de mouzinho da silveira

mixed in with the perpetual groundhog day that is lockdown I seem to have bought a CV 35/1.7....

I'm thinking this will turn out to be one of my happier purchases

M1003934.C1 1.jpg

M1003928.C1.jpg

certain seems to be a cheap (in context) way of getting a nice, fast 35 in M mount

Last edited:
Just figured out hte camera part on the p40 pro... and its disappointing...
There is a zoom which I had assumed was optical from wide, 1x, 5x and 10x.
But I was just zooming in and some geese at 3.8x and they had no detail. When I got to 5x detail popped in.
So essentially the cameras utilise, picks one depending on the zoom, then digitally zooms in until it reaches the next.
Making the zoom option pointless.
Sigh. Along with the lack of promised headphones, I am getting more negaitve points to this mobile :/

--

@all - nice photos :)
@Adzman808 - "CV 35/1.7... " are you enjoying it? nice lens?

Just figured out hte camera part on the p40 pro... and its disappointing...
There is a zoom which I had assumed was optical from wide, 1x, 5x and 10x.
But I was just zooming in and some geese at 3.8x and they had no detail. When I got to 5x detail popped in.
So essentially the cameras utilise, picks one depending on the zoom, then digitally zooms in until it reaches the next.
Making the zoom option pointless.
Sigh. Along with the lack of promised headphones, I am getting more negaitve points to this mobile :/

--

@all - nice photos :)
@Adzman808 - "CV 35/1.7... " are you enjoying it? nice lens?

short answer is yes!

it doesn’t feel as well screwed together as my “cheap” summarit lenses, or even my 7artisans 50...

it vignettes quite noticeably wide open

but visible distortion is negligible (unlike the 7a 50 huh?!) the colours and contrast are very strong, I wouldn’t say it’s a character lens as it renders modernly and also it’s plenty sharp across nearly all the frame

the supplied hood is a bit basic and blocks quite a lot the VF... they sell an upgrade one that’s circular and vented, but that costs about €100

I’m toying with getting an aftermarket rectangular one with a cut out (like the more modern Leica designs) but that’s a bit pricey too... so it will probably be a £5 screw in ebay generic vented circular hood!!

it’s nice to have 1.7, obviously you’re not going to get 50/1.x levels of shallow dof outta it, but I’m really noticing the extra dof compared to the 35/2.4 summarit

another cool thing is that it focuses down to 50cm.... (the 35/2.4 is 80, the 90/2.5 is 100)

the range finder only goes to 70cm so it’s a bit weird when the lens is on min focus, and you turn the barrel and the rangefinder patch doesn’t move for a while!

that said with the evf on the m240 (m8/9/262 and film users, nothing for you to see here) you can focus down to 50cm and that’s going to come in jolly handy

I’ll put some picks up in some mins!

EA14F95F-5675-4D63-A31E-AFCEC6D11574.jpeg

Welcome to the family!

CV35 Rit35 Lux50 and Rit90

the cv 35 isn’t a big lens...

F59B6576-4646-4F3A-8AC2-49DB92AE4275.jpeg

But the extra stop(ish) it enjoys over the rit is felt in length more than girth

8F229400-5B12-4CF5-BB29-2E424EF2C781.jpeg

add the hoods into the equation and the Leica deploys an intelligent and stylish design. Meanwhile the Voigtlander turns into some thing that Pappa Smurf would like to live in.

as soon as I took the CV outta of the box, I immediately felt like the proud jewish parents of a newborn baby boy... yeah that hood’s got to go

oh and another thing with the CV, the focusing ring is just plain weird... it’s thin and has no tab. I can still roll it with a finger tip to focus (so I’m ok with it), but if you’re someone who focuses a Leica by muscle memory of where the tab is, you’re going to hate this lens!

follows some snaps of the type of kitschy sh*t you (just me?) me shoot when you get a new lens!

at min(ish) RF focus distances and wide open, there's a pleasing if not earth shattering subject seperation

M1003873.C1.jpg

M1003972.C1.jpg

M1003976.C1 1.jpg

put the evf on, set the lens to absolute minimum and dof is very thin

M1003978.C1.jpg

I find the rendering modern, sharp, contrasty (to be fair these are all in capture one with I'm still finding my way with)

M1003922.C1.jpg

M1003983.C1.jpg

M1003989.C1 1.jpg

M1003993.C1 1.jpg

if you can within 2 meters of the subject, then to my eye the relationship between subject and background is really pleasing

M1003968.C1.jpg

I ended up buying it because I wanted a faster 35, I nearly bought the TTArtisans one... but figured (after reading some reviews) that I'd be stopping it down to summarit apertures to get the best results (which seemed counter productive to wanted a faster 35)

I read some more reviews and the CV35/1.7 (and the new CV35/1.2, but that's expensive to me) came out well, but was a bit out of my budget, then I found a store selling an ex-display CV35/1.7 for an acceptable amount and here we are!

I'm happy enough!

Hi, "a rose is a rose is a rose" (Gertrude Stein). - (Leica M9 - Leitz (Leica) Summicron 2/35 f 2; crop) :

L1001712_DxO-L35c-2-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1001712_DxO-L35c-2.jpg
    L1001712_DxO-L35c-2.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 2
@Adzman808 nice. its that separation I like and I'd like a few good lenses like it. I like my 28mm voigtlander for the older filmy type quality. the 15mm I don't like the intrusive purple fringing and 50mm although interesting and a decent enough price now appears to be fringing too (although perhaps I am pushing the saturation too much?)

However I would like to cover more ranges.. so if i were to chop in the 50 and 15, I think I would need a 21 or 18 and a replacement 50. the 35 is too close to the 28... and I'd need to specifically go out with just one or two lenses.

My last walk I took the 28mm, 105mm nikkor macro and the 135mm letiz. Problem is none register on the camera and I forget how to set it to select the len via user menu... so I end up guessing between the 105 and 135 shots...

Across the river Amstel

River Reeds

Heron

@Adzman808 nice. its that separation I like and I'd like a few good lenses like it. I like my 28mm voigtlander for the older filmy type quality. the 15mm I don't like the intrusive purple fringing and 50mm although interesting and a decent enough price now appears to be fringing too (although perhaps I am pushing the saturation too much?)

However I would like to cover more ranges.. so if i were to chop in the 50 and 15, I think I would need a 21 or 18 and a replacement 50. the 35 is too close to the 28... and I'd need to specifically go out with just one or two lenses.

My last walk I took the 28mm, 105mm nikkor macro and the 135mm letiz. Problem is none register on the camera and I forget how to set it to select the len via user menu... so I end up guessing between the 105 and 135 shots...

Across the river Amstel

River Reeds

Heron

the manual lens selection is in the set menu, you can make a profile that contains the code for each of your non-coded lenses and then set it when you mount that lens, or be like me and forget!

I might try and code it with a sharpie or something.. but then my 240 seems a right fussy bugger with the coding compared to my m9, it’s a bit of lottery if the 240 recognises the 7artisans, but the m9 does everytime (and before someone chips in with does it really matter? Well no... except that my auto iso is x/fl and when the camera doesn’t know the fl that gets all messed up and it starts trying to shoot at 1/4 @ iso200 instead of raising the iso!)

i’ve put as many shots as i can (lockdown etc) through the ultron35 and I’m definitely happy with it and it opens up a world of low light 35 shooting that the 2.4 summarit just doesn’t do.

I though about getting a 28 instead of another 35, but I’m more of a 50 guy so it made sense to me to get a faster 50

pretty sure that my 7a 50 doesn’t have colour issues in the corners...

My wife has two Leica's and she loves them both. The first one she bought was a V-Lux. I thought it odd for her but, regardless of the fact it's nothing more than a bridge camera (even though it's Leica) the images she has had are stunning. Then she bought a Leica Q. Again, I thought it an odd buy and I wondered why she didn't go for something in a detachable lens set-up. But she assured me that, after handling a few in the dealers, the Q was the one that 'felt just right'. True to form the images from this camera are excellent too. Noises she has been making recently suggest to me that she's considering another. I just hope, this time, she'll opt for a 'lens system' camera..

Me? I'll stick with my Nikon D7000 and (for dirty, wet, mud drenched days) my D5000. :nikon: And my Bronica ETRSi for everything else. I'm too old and ugly to carry a Leica. people would presume I'd nicked it from someone..!!:police:

I might try and code it with a sharpie or something.. but then my 240 seems a right fussy bugger with the coding

well @ecniv

i used a sharpie and coded the cv35 with about as much finesse as a kid with a Pinata, and it actually works!

(well at least for 20mins until the ink fades or flakes off!)

Hi, ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 1,2/35 asph. v1 f 1,2; crop) :

L1001728_DxO-v35-12-c.jpg

(The Nokton is a little soft wide open, which may be helpful for portraits. - The price you pay for speed. The new 1,2/50 for SONY performs like this, too ... )

Attachments

• L1001728_DxO-v35-12.jpg
    L1001728_DxO-v35-12.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 2
My wife has two Leica's and she loves them both. The first one she bought was a V-Lux. I thought it odd for her but, regardless of the fact it's nothing more than a bridge camera (even though it's Leica) the images she has had are stunning. Then she bought a Leica Q. Again, I thought it an odd buy and I wondered why she didn't go for something in a detachable lens set-up. But she assured me that, after handling a few in the dealers, the Q was the one that 'felt just right'. True to form the images from this camera are excellent too. Noises she has been making recently suggest to me that she's considering another. I just hope, this time, she'll opt for a 'lens system' camera..

Me? I'll stick with my Nikon D7000 and (for dirty, wet, mud drenched days) my D5000. :nikon: And my Bronica ETRSi for everything else. I'm too old and ugly to carry a Leica. people would presume I'd nicked it from someone..!!:police:

I love this story

Trevor, your signature got me thinking.. I'm going to hit Café Press and get a T-shirt made up with an image of my Bronica and, above it, the words..

"I've been converted to the Dark Slide"..:cool:

Back