Official Talk Leica thread

My wife has two Leica's and she loves them both. The first one she bought was a V-Lux. I thought it odd for her but, regardless of the fact it's nothing more than a bridge camera (even though it's Leica) the images she has had are stunning. Then she bought a Leica Q. Again, I thought it an odd buy and I wondered why she didn't go for something in a detachable lens set-up. But she assured me that, after handling a few in the dealers, the Q was the one that 'felt just right'. True to form the images from this camera are excellent too. Noises she has been making recently suggest to me that she's considering another. I just hope, this time, she'll opt for a 'lens system' camera..

Me? I'll stick with my Nikon D7000 and (for dirty, wet, mud drenched days) my D5000. :nikon: And my Bronica ETRSi for everything else. I'm too old and ugly to carry a Leica. people would presume I'd nicked it from someone..!!:police:

I had a nikon d300 until it was well used. Chopped all the lenses bar the 105mm macro and the lens baby 80mm edge, 50mm composer pro.
I had been waiting for a long time for the leica... couldn't get new, but the typ 240 mp is great. Added a novoflex adapter and I can use the nikon lenses. Live view is best. I also got the evf, and that is very useful. I got some looks when I was in Budapest church, looking through the evf whilst the camera was pointed at the ceiling :)

Perhaps if your wife goes the m route you may be able to use your lenses on it...

I do get tinges of GAS but with no more funds available.... may be later.

I still have a lee filter holder and mount to buy for a none used black piece of lee filters glass... and may be a gorilla pod to support it. thats next on the list...

An M10P with a 50 cron is a wonderous thing. You need to keep it, and add a Q to your arsenal. Then you’ll have two bodies, one with a 28 and one with a 50, and no more lens changing nonsense. 28 and 50 should cover a lot of your needs.

And if you get a used Q, you’ll probably find it cheaper than adding a 28mm M lens to your kit :) [add evil laugh]

Hi, ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 crop )

f 1,5:

L1001774_DxO-z50s-15-c.jpg

f 2,8:

L1001775_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

The Sonnar has focus shift. So, why not use f 2,8 ?

Attachments

• L1001774_DxO-z50s-15.jpg
    L1001774_DxO-z50s-15.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 2
  • L1001775_DxO-z50s-28.jpg
    L1001775_DxO-z50s-28.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi, I wanted to take a closer look at the ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 - Leica M9 - SONY A7R2; f8 :

M9 :

L1001767_DxO-z50s-8.jpg

A7R2 :

DSC00494-a7r22-z50s-8.jpg

Crop, middle M9 :

L1001767_DxO-z50s-8-cm.jpg

Crop, middle A7R2:

DSC00494-a7r22-z50s-8-cm.jpg

Upper right corner crop M9 :

L1001767_DxO-z50s-8-c-r.jpg

Upper right corner crop A7R2 :

DSC00494-a7r22-z50s8-cr.jpg

This is just a comparison, resulting in pics in everyday use. In the middle, the A7R2 seems to perform better.

The corner crop surprised me. I always thought and said that longer focal length M mount lenses perform the same on the M9 and the A7R2.

This is not the case! One has to find out lens by lens ... ---

some of the differences in colour there in the M9/Sony shots are remarkable

some of the differences in colour there in the M9/Sony shots are remarkable

Hi, as I said above, I used my normal settings for the M9 and the A7R2. The Leica DNGs had contrast and microcontrast raised in DXO before converting them into JPGs.

With the A7R2 I take JPGs. SONY raws might lead to different - perhaps better - results. Quite clearly, the M9 and the A7R2 display different corner sharpness,
which makes them not functionally equivalent for me. I would not like taking only the SONY with the Sonnar with me.

(The A7R2 is a good allround travel camera (with the ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21) but sometimes there are good reasons for taking an M9.)

Of course, one can say corner sharpness is a marginal phenomenon. But it is difficult to unsee it, once you have seen it. ---

Cruelty - flowers behind bars ... (Leica M9 - Summicron 2/50 f 2) :

L1001840_DxO-L50c-2.jpg

@justpix

from your shots it looks like the leica has more cyan in blue and the sony has more yellow in green

(of course these differences could be different light at different times of different days)

@justpix

from your shots it looks like the leica has more cyan in blue and the sony has more yellow in green

(of course these differences could be different light at different times of different days)

Hi, the pics were taken the same morning, but the clouds changed. So, no ceteris paribus observed.

And of course my fiddling with the controls and parameters ... ---

But I hope, this exercise was not a complete waste of time. It means, for the convenience of the A7R2 (live view, IS, tilt screen ...) you may have to pay a price vs. the M9,
namely colour rendition, corner sharpness.

And some people do not like handling a SONY. I do not mind. I am ergonomically robust, having worked with DOS 2.11, IBM 3270 screens, and driving cars with
unsynchronized gear boxes ... --- :)

(If one wants better Leica glass performance with the SONY A7R2, one should take Leica R lenses. But then one loses the M mount compactness ... )

Hi, the pics were taken the same morning, but the clouds changed. So, no ceteris paribus observed.

And of course my fiddling with the controls and parameters ... ---

But I hope, this exercise was not a complete waste of time. It means, for the convenience of the A7R2 (live view, IS, tilt screen ...) you may have to pay a price vs. the M9,
namely colour rendition, corner sharpness.

And some people do not like handling a SONY. I do not mind. I am ergonomically robust, having worked with DOS 2.11, IBM 3270 screens, and driving cars with
unsynchronized gear boxes ... --- :)

(If one wants better Leica glass performance with the SONY A7R2, one should take Leica R lenses. But then one loses the M mount compactness ... )

It's not a waste of time if you had fun and such things are always worth seeing!

There's some company that mods the sensor of the Sonys to work better with M glass (but by all accounts some R lenses are great and often cheaper than their M counterparts)

Since getting the M240 I've found that a tilting EVF is of more use to me than a tilt screen!

I played a little with the m9 and 240 this morning, as the 240 has a few things to offer that the M9 doesn't, but f##king about in PP getting the raw file to look (what I consider to be) nice isn't one of them (IMO M9 DNGs arrive looking virtually as I want them with very little work, the 240... not so much)

m9-m240.JPG

I'm quite pleased with this experiment, because I did it without changing any of the 240 colours.

Normally I've played this game by taking a shot with each M of the same thing with the same lens at the same time, then in post I've used the colour tools to match the 240 colours to the m9 ones, and everything looks great!

Then I try taking a different picture with the 240 with the same colour edits and everything looks utterly clucking dreadful :puke:

For example if you (well ok me) use the HSL colour wheel to match the red of that bowl between the two cameras, then afterwards go take a photo of my 8 year old, her skin will look like measles!!! (But the skin looks great with the m9)

So today I played but with the native 240 colours and instead I used contrast, tone curves and WB and I think this is a process that will be more repeatable....

A lot of this game is because I'm transitioning to C1 and things like this help me learn the new (to me) tool, there's not really any actual image deficiency with the 240 and in many cases the tangible amount of extra DR/ISO, the option of the EVF and a shot to shot time/buffer that doesn't quickly fill up makes the 240 a better choice for some of things I like to shoot

If it can make pictures I like as much as the M9 one then that's that fantastic

Hi, @Adzman808 - Sensor modifications (done by Kolari) have side-effects with colour rendering. So I did not do it

All new mirrorless cameras (including Leica SL) have a thicker sensor stack than the M9 and no aligned micro-lenses in the corner of the sensor.

I would not say adapting M mount lenses is a hopeless enterprise to 24x36mm cameras, but results are not generally equivalent (and sometimes disappointing).

Meanwhile, adapting lenses to SONYs is no longer necessary - SONY having a full portfolio of native lenses - some of them being heavy metal, however, and some using
inferior aspherical lenses producing onion rings. ---

M9 colours appear more pleasing than those of the M10, which some find cool. Others say they are neutral. The previous owner of my M9 is not so happy with the colours of his M10 ... ---

Adapting some Leica M mount lenses to APS-C makes more sense (ignoring prices for M glass) because you can build a pocket camera like
the Sony NEX5N with the Leica Elmarit 2,8/28 asph v1 I often use when walking in the fields, here at f 2,8 :

DSC02269-nex5-L28a-28.jpg

Hi, @Adzman808 - Sensor modifications (done by Kolari) have side-effects with colour rendering. So I did not do it

All new mirrorless cameras (including Leica SL) have a thicker sensor stack than the M9 and no aligned micro-lenses in the corner of the sensor.

I would not say adapting M mount lenses is a hopeless enterprise to 24x36mm cameras, but results are not generally equivalent (and sometimes disappointing).

Meanwhile, adapting lenses to SONYs is no longer necessary - SONY having a full portfolio of native lenses - some of them being heavy metal, however, and some using
inferior aspherical lenses producing onion rings. ---

M9 colours appear more pleasing than those of the M10, which some find cool. Others say they are neutral. The previous owner of my M9 is not so happy with the colours of his M10 ... ---

Adapting some Leica M mount lenses to APS-C makes more sense (ignoring prices for M glass) because you can build a pocket camera like
the Sony NEX5N with the Leica Elmarit 2,8/28 asph v1 I often use when walking in the fields, here at f 2,8 :

At base ISO and in sunlight, the M9 is capable of lovely colours.

Colour science (sic) in cameras can be fairly complicated, not only because many of us rely on AWB (I do this a lot) but also colours appear different with the chosen exposure and of course the raw converter we use

By all accounts the M10 is closer to the M9 colours than the M240, but with so much more dynamic range the M10 would probably tend to look a little more flat when the files are viewed pre-editing

Hi, my APS-C pocket combination SONY NEX5N - Leica Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. v1, f 8:

DSC02276-nex5-L28a-8.jpg

DSC02276-nex5-L28a-8-c.jpg

DSC02276-nex5-L28a-8-c-m.jpg

DSC02276-nex5-L28a-8-cr.jpg

Well, I am not too happy with #3 from above. The details are not very clear. There are good reasons for using 24x36mm cameras. Maybe, more modern APS-C cameras
with higher resolution are better. But they may have other problems, such as colour shift the SONY NEX-7 suffered from ... ---

The only adapter solution I still use regularly is the VOIGTLÄNDER Heliar 4,5/15 on the A7R2, when taking city travel pics, as shown in the Manchester thread.

I should probably keep a lid on this until it’s ready for an official launch, but it would be good to get feedback so far, and this is a relatively small crowd.

Https://usedlens.co.uk

Searches like

M10
50mm
Voig

And you will see the magic!

Also if you know of any online retailers I have not used I will add them in.

I should probably keep a lid on this until it’s ready for an official launch, but it would be good to get feedback so far, and this is a relatively small crowd.

Searches like

M10
50mm
Voig

I had a quick play with it, it all looks a bit hazardous to the health of my credit card! (Although it confirmed that the 240 I bought in Jan really was a bargain!)

It clearly works, and loads data very fast

A bit surprised no ebay hits turned up.... although I guess that’s by design?

No London Camera Exchange either?

Great work though

I had a quick play with it, it all looks a bit hazardous to the health of my credit card! (Although it confirmed that the 240 I bought in Jan really was a bargain!)

It clearly works, and loads data very fast

A bit surprised no ebay hits turned up.... although I guess that’s by design?

No London Camera Exchange either?

Great work though

Thanks!

You can search by retailer, so enter 'London' and you'll see LCE come up.

eBay I'd like to add, but it'll be a different process to the others - I'll need to get access to the API, and I haven't decided about handling bids/buyitnow/best offer

Searches like

M10
50mm
Voig

Damn Dan, that’s dangerous :ROFLMAO:
Bloody good tho!

If you keep checking back it'll keep evolving, and updating !

Added some 'popular searches' so less typing is required. Also added a lot more results from existing retailers to cover M/Q/SL/CL cameras and lenses

If you keep checking back it'll keep evolving, and updating !

Added some 'popular searches' so less typing is required. Also added a lot more results from existing retailers to cover M/Q/SL/CL cameras and lenses
Top job Dan.... Personally I like it without the eBay options in there as there is just a myriad of some good and some really crap stuff there.

Now if you could sort so we can search by film or digital bodies that would be even more awesome to fuel my continual Leica GAS... :ROFLMAO:

Top job Dan.... Personally I like it without the eBay options in there as there is just a myriad of some good and some really crap stuff there.

Now if you could sort so we can search by film or digital bodies that would be even more awesome to fuel my continual Leica GAS... :ROFLMAO:

There's already a host of M6, M7 bodies in there, yes if I do include eBay I'll probably want to be able to turn that off as well.

Back