Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 2/28 f 8) :

L1001938_DxO-v28-8.jpg

Fred Miranda is testing many Voigtländer M mount lenses on Leica M and on SONY "FF". :

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1647789/0?b=2

I never had the Nokton on my A7R2. The FE 2/28 is an excellent lens. So, no real reason for adapting ... ---

I am not sure, whether others here in this thread adapt Leica M mount to bodies from other brands ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, I wanted to replicate the Fred Miranda test mentioned above (Leica M9 - SONY A7R2 - VOIGTLÄNDER Nokton 2/28 ) :

M9 ; f 2:

L1001954_DxO-v28-2.jpg

A7R2 :

DSC06439-v28-2.jpg

Now, crops at f 2.

Leica, left:

L1001954_DxO-v28-2-cl.jpg

SONY, left :

DSC06439-v28-2-cl.jpg

Leica, middle :

L1001954_DxO-v28-2-cm.jpg

Sony, middle :

DSC06439-v28-2-cm.jpg

Leica, right :

L1001954_DxO-v28-2-cr.jpg

Sony, right :

DSC06439-v28-2-cr.jpg

Hi, I took the pics at ISO 160, selected image size 18M for the Sony JPEGS, supported both cameras on the window frame (SONY IS off), set contrast +30 and microcontrast +100 in DxO
for the M9 to compensate the internal Sony settings, and finally cut and resized the pics in Photoshop Elements.

The cuts are not always completely equal, but roughly comparable. The purpose of this exercise is not to run a system down, but to get a realistic impression of how they perform (in my hands).

I would not say that the Nokton performs equivalently on both systems, clearly not on the sides.

My ideal combinations are therefore: Leica M9 - Voigtländer Nokton 2/28 and SONY A7R2 - SZ FE 2/28 !

Last edited:
Hi, I took the pics at ISO 160, selected image size 18M for the Sony JPEGS, supported both cameras on the window frame (SONY IS off), set contrast +30 and microcontrast +100 in DxO
for the M9 to compensate the internal Sony settings, and finally cut and resized the pics in Photoshop Elements.

The cuts are not always completely equal, but roughly comparable. The purpose of this exercise is not to run a system down, but to get a realistic impression of how they perform (in my hands).

I would not say that the Nokton performs equivalently on both systems, clearly not on the sides.

My ideal combinations are therefore: Leica M9 - Voigtländer Nokton 2/28 and SONY A7R2 - SZ FE 2/28 !

In real-world use, would you ever realistically select an 18M image size on the Sony? I know I wouldn't, so for a real-world comparison shouldn't you set the cameras up the way you would actually use them?

In real-world use, would you ever realistically select an 18M image size on the Sony? I know I wouldn't, so for a real-world comparison shouldn't you set the cameras up the way you would actually use them?

Yes, you have a point here. This is a general problem when comparing different systems. -

I downsized the Sony just for the comparison. In real life, I always have 42M pic size. (I followed FM here, who downsized the Sony pics to 18M.)

Last edited:
Hi, pocket camera (SONY NEX5N - ZEISS Biogon 4,5/21 f 8) :

DSC02377-nex5-z21-8.jpg

DSC02380-ex5-z21-8.jpg

DSC02381-nex5-z21-8.jpg

DSC02385-nex5-z21-8c.jpg

DSC02387-nex5-z21-8.jpg

All pics show pink sides and corners. The 21mm Biogon does this on the M9 and even on an APS-C camera.

It will be relegated to a corner of my shelf!

Last edited:
Picked up a used 7artisans 35mm f2 this week for the M10-P. Had one before which I wasn’t overly impressed with, but this seems a better quality. Cheap as chips and not bad at all for image quality once you tweak it a bit in LR.

7AC4F09A-1518-42EB-A15F-F058BD665A9A.jpeg38C4D5CB-E42F-4D8E-9E6B-05CE0058C639.jpeg

I probably won’t do anything about it. And anyway the management would go ape, but ...

Not far from where I live in the Languedoc there’s a guy advertising a Leica M240 & Summilux 35 mm f/1,4 boxed for 2,500€. Says he’s replaced it with an M10.
This sounds like a bargain. But is it really, in your opinion? And if I go and look at it how should I check that it’s all functioning correctly? Also are there any particular things that I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance for wasting your time.

I probably won’t do anything about it. And anyway the management would go ape, but ...

Not far from where I live in the Languedoc there’s a guy advertising a Leica M240 & Summilux 35 mm f/1,4 boxed for 2,500€. Says he’s replaced it with an M10.
This sounds like a bargain. But is it really, in your opinion? And if I go and look at it how should I check that it’s all functioning correctly? Also are there any particular things that I should be looking out for?

Hi, I do not have an M240 ... --- But the reviews here might help you :

https://sites.google.com/site/wosim...camera-reviews/leica-m10-testberichte-reviews

There are several Summilux 1,4/35 models ... :

https://sites.google.com/site/wosim...richte-objektive-leica-lens-reviews-28mm-35mm

Hi

I got a used one from the Leica store, 3.5k used. and a lens for an extra 500. plus evf for 250.
I would have really wanted to get the m10, but no used and those that are are almost full price.

Anyway, my experience. Store was great. Camera if it has all the boxes is impressive.
Usage: takes a while to get used to the focus method (without evf) coming from other auto focus systems. it does feel great. if a little heavy. Just means well constructed.
The sensor gets dirty quick, so worth asking them to try and take the dirty sensor pic. bright light on a white paper max f16 or f22.
Shutter count - if its 2500 with that lens all working, my guess is the shutter count is high. As long as it works, shouldn't be a problem.
Perhaps google the prices of the body with similar shutter and the lens. Just so you know. Worth asking to take a few pics as well ... normal sd card.

Does sound like a great bargain

my 240 came from the Leica store, no lens, no box :-( but with thumbie grip, genuine Leica leather case, aftermarket handgrip and the Leica branded EVF and a year's warranty. I had them clean the sensor then and there after a dust ref photo showed it needed it. It was €2400

€2500 is a bit much for a high mileage 240 in this day and age IMHO (iirc Manchester Leica store seems to have found some brand new 240s and they have silver only for £2999 about €3350)

But it rather hinges on which lens it's coming with... the latest 35mm F1.4 FLE secondhand costs north of €3000....

The early ones far less...

If you go to see it, check everything works!

Look closely at the viewfinder (dust, scratches) and the lens mount (wear and marks)

Check too see if the paint has come off the buttons and how worn the leatherette covering is to get a sense of how much it's been used,

As with all private sales, buy the seller not the product.... if there's the slightest bit of doubt then there's no doubt at all.... walk away

M240 is a buyers market, more for sale than people buying them. Advantage buyer.

Hi, some "old iron" ... (SONY A7R2 - LEITZ Elmarit-R 2,8/135 ser# 3146871; f 8) :

DSC06464-a7r2-3-L135r-8.jpg

Crops :

DSC06464-a7r2-3-L135r-8-cl.jpg

DSC06464-a7r2-3-L135r-8-cr.jpg

The 135 Elmarit was seen as the best 135mm lens in the 70s and 80s. It performs well, even today. I have a few 135s, and it is one of my best.

My best 135 (currently) is the ZEISS Apo-Sonnar 2/135, but this is big and heavy. Heavy is the Elmarit too. I never take with me when walking.

The Apo-Sonnar I took with me to Mainz only once, when I had it new. Today, - I use these heavy lenses just around the house ...

Erwin Puts, the Leica expert, observed that the Leica R lenses perform better than their M peers. This is due to the larger diameter.

And this explains, why all new mirrorless cameras (L-mount et al.) have a mount with a bigger diameter than Leica Ms ... ---

Last edited:
Severe memory card problem KODAK class 10 SDHC, data loss - Leica M9 . (n)(n)(n)

Hi, I had problems with these cards before, but it in previous cases I could still take pics, only the scrolling when viewing was blocked.

This time, it was different. I went to a walk, took pics of flowers in the fields. After taking one, I pressed the PLAY button
while the pic was being stored, as indicated by the blinking red light.

The light kept on blinking, I switched the camera off, took out the card, reinserted it again. The camera took no more pics,
showed: no card accessible.

At home, my PC did not recognize the card, showed no reaction whatsoever.

I tried a different card adapter - no effect.

What I will do in future. Leave the camera alone when storing. Take a spare card with me, always. When traveling, 1 card/day.

Luckily, I was at home, so the data loss was not great. Only the pics from my walk, not all of them belonging to the UN world cultural heritage, I suppose. ;)

But had I been on a weekend trip, and this had happened on the last day, all my pics gone, oh dear .... :mad:

Back