Official Talk Leica thread

M1006948.C1.jpg

Organic(ish) edit in that it broadly looked like that irl...

or....

M1006948.C1 1.jpg

...the technicolor dream coat edit :D which isn't exactly true to life but maybe it works ok?

Thoughts?

I managed a couple of blog posts all shot with the M240 if anyone's bored enough to have a read!

...the technicolor dream coat edit :D which isn't exactly true to life but maybe it works ok?

Thoughts?

Hi, it's difficult to see differences on my high res ThinkPad screen ...

The second one appears a little brighter (to me) ---

Hi, it's difficult to see differences on my high res ThinkPad screen ...

The second one appears a little brighter (to me) ---

red car.JPG

it's more about the shade of the red

i suspect the forum compresses the files....

Hi, through a loophole at the Bastion in Mainz-Kastel/D ... (Leica M9 - Leitz (Leica) Summicron 2/35 v4 f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1022393_DxO-L35c-28-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1022393_DxO-L35c-28.jpg
    L1022393_DxO-L35c-28.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi, Mathildenhöhe, Darmstadt/D ... (Leica M9 - Elmar 3,8/24 asph. f 3,8; crop):

L1022471_DxO-L324-38-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1022471_DxO-L3824-38-tp.jpg
    L1022471_DxO-L3824-38-tp.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 2
Question...
Does using the evf defeat the point of owning a leica m?

In one of those I am not using it, not using it right moods.

maybe if someone uses it all the time...

but if you need it to get a shot (waist level, adapted lens, macro, critical focus, whatever) then use it!

Hi, lots of things seem to happen at Mathildenhöhe... But the art lovers use the trash cans diligently, at least ;) ... (Leica M9 - Elmar 3,8/24 asph. f 3,8):

L1022448_DxO-L3824-38.jpg

Yeah.... but... ;)

See this is the logic.. I am not using the range finder part (the point of hte camera) and in fact not using the camera much (no motivation).
When I do use the range finder, my shots miss (probably due to wobble, bad eyes and user doing it wrong...). So I rely on evf more (especially with the wide, macro and long lens) and like the zoomed in x5 feature...

However, feeling like if I could sell the body I could pick up a full frame camera with higher iso and mp on a newer model (not leica -> thinking nikon z7).
But then I sway the other way and think I'm not using it as much, might as well keep it. Then back to GAS type shiny new and grass is greener over there...

It'll pass...

I'll keep looking at the 35mm f1.2 on kamera express or the 21mm ultron also on kamera express... both a little more than I can justify....

I find it much easier and faster to focus my film M's than using an evf on an XT3 with Leica M lenses...

However, feeling like if I could sell the body I could pick up a full frame camera with higher iso and mp on a newer model (not leica -> thinking nikon z7).

Your post makes a bit more sense now... But I'm still not sure whether you're talking about AF vs MF or MF on Leica w/EVF vs MF on Nikon w/EVF.

I'm not massively familiar with Leica digi, but I'm fairly sure your 240 isn't as good as the latest & greatest Canikon offerings. People don't tend to use Leica because they have a better spec. If you're struggling with rangefinder focussing and using the EVF to 'speed it up' then perhaps the Leica 'thing' isn't for you. And selling the kit will get you a very good Mirrorless setup.

When it comes to MF for me, as Mark says above, I find my Ms very quick to focus compared to my film SLRs or my X-T2 with M mount glass and manual focus using EVF. But then the patch on the M3 is huge, and even on the M6 it feels bright and big. I have never looked through a 240 to compare.

If you want AF (or want to go hybrid with AF and MF lenses), I'd say go Canikon mirrorless and enjoy. If you want to adapt your existing glass, I'm not sure sticking it on a z7 will make much difference over the 240 you already own in terms of operation.

THat's my tuppence anyway.

Last edited:
I find the ease of M focusing dependant on lens choice, selected aperture and (IMHO most crucially) subject distance

obviously the rangefinder patch doesn’t change so the focus accuracy of contents of the patch vary with lens

I find subject distance to be challenging as something that’s say 15 meters away, is only some millimetres of turn away from infinity on the lens barrel but hundreds of meters away from infinity in real life, so focusing has to be exact (as ever) but with far less focus throw to play with like you get at say the 2m mark (on the lens)

I think as well... just an opinion... that somewhere in modern times the M has become associated with extreme shallow DOF photography.. but the reality is that the M (away from the evf) is a tricky, tricky system for shallow DOF photography especially with off centre compositions (I think the M10 you can move the focus point around)

Hi, on the road ... (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/24 asph. f 4) :

L1022506_DxO-L24a-c-tp.jpg

@ecniv: I read your thoughts. If I were to consider a mirrorless camera to complement my Leicas, I would go for an L mount, but would wait for the the Sigma body,
which might have a powerful sensor, and a thin sensor stack.

But, as I wrote, I see another mirrorless as complementary to Leica M !

I think as well... just an opinion... that somewhere in modern times the M has become associated with extreme shallow DOF photography.. but the reality is that the M (away from the evf) is a tricky, tricky system for shallow DOF photography especially with off centre compositions (I think the M10 you can move the focus point around)

M10-P focus point can be moved around in EVF via touchscreen. Handy, but I don’t use the EVF very much - I had considered the electronic viewfinder to plonk on the top but it’s very expensive (£400 quid plus) and I’m not sure I’d actually use it that much.

As frustrating as the optical viewfinder is for me at times, it’s still preferable to the EVF.

the AF vs MF isn't a problem (except for the usual user error).
evf has the peek with coloured highlight to assist in approximate focusing. Which is where I've used it... A lot. The little white box is ok for 35-50mm I think but outside that range its not great.
A few times I've thought the focus was on, took the picture, looks great on the back of the camera... drop on the computer, notice I've missed the focus by a little (or once a lot!)

Mainly its motivation to go out and use it. A mild frustration of missing some shots I think could be better.

However do not knock the evf, it is very useful if you need to shoot at an angle without contorting your body. I put it at 90 degrees, or close to, and got some nice shots of church ceiling in budapest. Shooting very low to the ground is also possible...
My main bit is the feeling I should be using the range finder part more, not only to get more used to it, but because its there... Vs the feeling of a newer higher iso beast of mp that might get the shots without flash in low light for similar price as the leica I have is...

As I said on the previous post - it'll pass and do most of my GAS feelings :D as to compliment the camera.. uh no... its one or the other. Leica has been fun, great feeling, and some shots have been really nice :)

Hi, to celebrate 10 years of Leica M9 ownership a few early M9 pics. These were the first I kept; from a weekend trip to Leinsweiler/Pfalz :

The view from our hotel room :

10-M9-L1002046.jpg

The view from the tower above the castle in the picture above:

10-M9-L1002004.jpg

Wine harvest :

10-M9-L1002040.jpg

My wife and Sheila (+) testing the grapes:

10-M9-L1002043.jpg

Had a home-office since 1995 :

10-m9-L1002603.jpg

And I also played around with other cameras then:

10-M9-L1003026.jpg

I am very happy with my M9, so much so that I bought a second one. It never let me down and always did what I expected it to do within the limits of the design.

The M9 is complemented by SONY and NIKON cameras. This way, I use it for what it is best at: Casual photography on sunny days ...

Using it exclusively might lead to lower satisfaction.

I see the M9 in car categories as a Mercedes G, LAND ROVER Defender (old model) or a MORGAN, which offer traditional designs with a few modern ingredients. And owning one
of these cars as one's only car might not be that pleasant ...

What will the future bring? I shall keep and use my M9s!

This Thursday the new M10-R is rumored to be announced. We shall see what it is really like when the first real experience reports of private owners are published,
after all the influencers' and marketing-hype-wave surfers praise ...

P.S.: All you ever wanted to know (or even more, perhaps ... ;)) about Leica and Leica lenses :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Rgs8otVC0&t=5791s

Last edited:
I finally finished a Konica VX 400 Super which has been in my 1986 Leica M6 since last CHRISTMAS !! I home-processed in C41.
I have put some others on the 'Show Us Your Film Photos' thread so will show a few different ones here.
a Kite flying Rainbow Colours to support the NHS -- 1957 90mm f4 Elmar
VX400 Super 01.jpg
In our local Churchyard -- 1989 50mm f2 Summicron
VX400 Super 02.jpg
A local ' Fast Food Take away' 50mm f2 Summicron
VX400 Super 04.jpg

Hi, to celebrate 10 years of Leica M9 ownership a few early M9 pics. These were the first I kept; from a weekend trip to Leinsweiler/Pfalz :

The view from our hotel room :

View attachment 286513

The view from the tower above the castle in the picture above:

View attachment 286510

Wine harvest :

View attachment 286511

My wife and Sheila (+) testing the grapes:

View attachment 286512

Had a home-office since 1995 :

View attachment 286514

And I also played around with other cameras then:

View attachment 286515

I am very happy with my M9, so much so that I bought a second one. It never let me down and always did what I expected it to do within the limits of the design.

The M9 is complemented by SONY and NIKON cameras. This way, I use it for what it is best at: Casual photography on sunny days ...

Using it exclusively might lead to lower satisfaction.

I see the M9 in car categories as a Mercedes G, LAND ROVER Defender (old model) or a MORGAN, which offer traditional designs with a few modern ingredients. And owning one
of these cars as one's only car might not be that pleasant ...

What will the future bring? I shall keep and use my M9s!

This Thursday the new M10-R is rumored to be announced. We shall see what it is really like when the first real experience reports of private owners are published,
after all the influencers' and marketing-hype-wave surfers praise ...

P.S.: All you ever wanted to know (or even more, perhaps ... ;)) about Leica and Leica lenses :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Rgs8otVC0&t=5791s
Congrats on the 10 years, me I'm a Johnny come lately of only 2 years but still happy with my M9s.

Hi, roses after the rain ... (Leica M9 - Leitz Elmar 4/90 from 1957) :

f 4, crop:

L1002268_DxO-L490-4-c-tp.jpg

f 8, crop :

L1002267_DxO-L490-8-tp.jpg

I bought it for very little money (€ 150, I think) with the metal lens shade and a beautiful LEITZ leather case :

DSC02773-nex5-v40-c-tp.jpg

Impressive durability and performance for an over 60 year old lens (it has coatings (!)), but not a sure design prize winner today, perhaps ... --- :

DSC02770-nex5-v40-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1002267_DxO-L490-8-f.jpg
    L1002267_DxO-L490-8-f.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi, roses after the rain ... (Leica M9 - Leitz Elmar 4/90 from 1957) :

f 4, crop:

f 8, crop :

I bought it for very little money (€ 150, I think) with the metal lens shade and a beautiful LEITZ leather case :

Impressive durability and performance for an over 60 year old lens (it has coatings (!)), but not a sure design prize winner today, perhaps ... --- :

those images are beautiful Immo

Back