Leica M4 + Light Lens Lab 35mm Summicron 8-Element Replica + Portra 400:

mNHw2G8.jpg

Wj8U6pq.jpg

3CCA003.jpg

wOMpgpI.jpg

QkNEqyT.jpg

PGIvJUZ.jpg

4iRhDqe.jpg

The lens perfectly matches my 50mm Rigid Summicron for resolution and colour.

You know that GAS ... struck again .. leica amsterdam have a used m10 at 4.5k..... I asked and they offered 2k for my current one....
sigh... :D

The m10 will be just the same to use as your 240. Colours might be more natural and it has more iso. It's noticeably thinner.. Battery life will be worse

Iso dial looks cool but only has full stops..

And what are your thoughts on the m10R (details now on leicas website)

Good and bad.. Better performance from the sensor and great for s/he who likes to crop, but AFAIK same internal electronics so the processor and RAM will be working harder..

Might drive down the price of used m10s though

And what are your thoughts on the m10R (details now on leicas website)

Hi, my first take. A beautiful camera !!!

What I like :

- Higher ISO

- Higher res

- Bigger screen

What I would have liked:

- IS

- Higher shutter speed

- Tilt screen

What time will tell :

- How do my current Leica M mount lenses work with the new high res sensor? All - or only my newest ones ?

Touch screen: I do not like that much, might get smeary when used.
(But this is also due to the fact that I am an old-IT guy. In the past, one never touched a computer screen because it was so expensive...)

Of course, we shall (and must) wait and see. I am not an early adopter, waiting at least a year (for the the production to get stable, and for the first micro-code upgrade.)

I see the M10-R as a major step forward from the M10.

At present, I see no rationally compelling reason for me, given my equipment, to buy one.

But there is also the irrational side of my personality ... --- ( :D )

Last edited:
Load by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Would never get past the cops in the UK ! Here in the Philippines they get away with it ! Taken from a moving van-Leica M6+50mm f2 Summicron lens,Ilford Delta 400 film.
Two-Faces by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
My wife's Great Grandmother aged over 90! In a little wooden house-I like the juxtaposition with the glamour girl on the calender. Leica M2+35mm f1.4 Summilux lens, Kodak Panther 100 film
White-Road by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
The White Road is near where my wife used to live on Cebu-it's the council Rubbish Tip area! People live there in shacks like this and scavange for anything they can 're-cycle'and sell.
Leica M6+35mm f1.4 Summilux lens,Ilford Delta 400 film.

You know that GAS ... struck again .. leica amsterdam have a used m10 at 4.5k..... I asked and they offered 2k for my current one....
sigh... :D

i was in my local store today, they had an m10 for €4250. That’s not bad... and it’s silver, I’ve never had (but always fancied) a silver one!

I can’t afford it and I’m not going into debt for it... give it a year and I think they’ll be even cheaper, but our 240s won’t have deprecated that much more...

of course if i flipped the 240 and the m9 I could buy it... but that doesn’t seem like a smart play, just GAS speaking.. at the end of the day the m10 doesn’t do much my 240 doesn’t (just does it better) and I still think the m9 has the nicest colours

The M10R is an interesting camera. If you couple it with a really sharp 35mm (Summilux ASPH FLE and Zeiss Distagon are obvious candidates), the body can deliver two pretty usable crops:

35mm f/1.4 @ 40MP
50mm f/2 (equiv) @ 26MP (APS-C crop)
70mm f/2.8 (equiv) @ 20MP (M4/3 crop, which is still a bigger file than an M9 and the same as the new Canon R6)

If you add a sharp 50mm you then have 75mm and 100mm equivs to play with too. Leica already does that kind of cropping with their Q/Q2 cameras.

Of course you'll have to find a way to manipulate the frameline preview lever if you don't want to imagine what your crop will be within the 35mm framelines.

Last edited:
Seriously I'll just have to slum it with my yesteryear M240 (and yesterdecade M9) endure their crappy flat images and wait until M10s become more affordable.

Totally bummed man

M1008036.C1.jpg

M1008053.C1.m9.jpg

M1008003.C1.jpg

M1004722.C1 2.jpg

Hi, have a nice weekend !!! ... (Leica M9 - Leitz Summicron 2/35 v4 from 1988, f 2) :

L1022403_DxO-L35c-8-c.jpg

@FruitFlakes - I see your point. - Cameras are complex devices with many properties, fulfilling different design goals differently.

So, there are many different, rational decisions ... ----

I would like to see first how my 30 Leica M mount lenses work on the M10-R.

Adam -- if your M240 and M9 give out 'Crappy Flat Images' why don;t you increase the Contrast and Colour Saturation in Software such as FastStone Image Viewer ( FREE ! ) or PhotoShop ? All 'Digital Images' need some 'Adjustment' no matter how Expensive the camera is. My 'FILM' scans also need some Adjustments after scanning to 'Digitalise' them but not if I print them on RA4 paper in the darkroom ! I have been out with my 1965 M2 today loaded as usual with 'outdated Film' and I bet I get good results after I have processed the film in C41 and that M2 cost me £450 with Canadian Leitz 35mm f1.4 Summilux from a now-Deceased Camera Club member , then he sold me his 1957 90mm f4 ELMAR collapsible for £75
M2 90mm.jpg

Last edited:
Currently umming and aahing as to whether to sell my M3 + 50 Cron to part fund a Summilux. The M6 is just so much easier to use with the built in meter, and whilst I like the VCII, it's just not as intuitive.

#firstworldproblems....

That’s sage advice Peter,

to be honest I was (failing to be) tongue in cheek that whenever one desires new gear, we somehow believe that it will fix some inherent flaw our images have...

I was hoping that my attached samples proved that my incumbent Leica gear was far from flat and that any crappiness was down to me rather than any shortcomings in the gear I used.

I guess not!

Adam -- if your M240 and M9 give out 'Crappy Flat Images' why don;t you increase the Contrast and Colour Saturation in Software such as FastStone Image Viewer ( FREE ! ) or PhotoShop ? All 'Digital Images' need some 'Adjustment' no matter how Expensive the camera is. My 'FILM' scans also need some Adjustments after scanning to 'Digitalise' them but not if I print them on RA4 paper in the darkroom ! I have been out with my 1965 M2 today loaded as usual with 'outdated Film' and I bet I get good results after I have processed the film in C41 and that M2 cost me £450 with Canadian Leitz 35mm f1.4 Summilux from a now-Deceased Camera Club member , then he sold me his 1957 90mm f4 ELMAR collapsible for £75

That’s sage advice Peter,

to be honest I was (failing to be) tongue in cheek that whenever one desires new gear, we somehow believe that it will fix some inherent flaw our images have...

I was hoping that my attached samples proved that my incumbent Leica gear was far from flat and that any crappiness was down to me rather than any shortcomings in the gear I used.

I guess not!

I got it Adam.

The m240 developed a fault this morning, the SS dial went out of sync (so if you set 1/2000 on the dial you got 1/3000 on the photo, this discrepancy was on all shutter speeds)

So I reached out to the Leica store manager (we’re facebook friends ) where I bought it, and for a moment I thought he’s going to offer me a choice of a repair and be without it for weeks* or return it and put a stack of cash to it for an M10 and I was a bit nervous as I want neither a long wait nor to spend a stack of cash

But he told me to make a system reset and that seemed to fix it (well it has fixed it, I just hope it stays fixed...)

Feeling quite pleased with myself I had a back up of my settings on the SD card

*I go on holiday with it on Monday

Adam -- Thanks for your kind reply and hope all goes well on your Holiday and come back with some 'Winners' to show here !

Peter

Hi, ... photographer at work in Wiesbaden/D (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 f 4 ; crop first) :

L1022594_DxO-z25-b-cc.jpg

L1022594_DxO-z25b-tp.jpg

10M-R : I am rather relaxed, because I have 2 42MP cameras at present : SONY A7R2. 1) I shall try to find out if IS is indispensable with high res. 2)To find out how high res affects IQ
I could compare the A7 (24 MP) and the A7R2 (42MP), both with Leica lenses, of course. --- Things for a rainy day.

Later today, I shall go to Rüdesheim to take pics of bikes at rest (Leica M9) and in action (NIKON D800).

Hi, I wanted to see the difference between a 24MP camera (SONY A7) and a 42MP camera (SONY A7R2) both with the LEITZ Macro-Elmarit 2,8/60 f 8, crops (outer left, center),
both hand-held, IS in the A7R2 off .

A7R2:

DSC00807-a7r22-L60r-8-c-nois.jpg

A7 :

DSC00140-a7-L60r-8-c.jpg

A7R2:

DSC00807-a7r22-L60r-8-cc-nois.jpg

A7 :

DSC00140-a7-L60r-8-cc.jpg

Caveats: I was a sunny, cloudy day. The lighting changed during the trial. Leitz Macro-Elmarit: This has stunning MTF charts. This is why I used it, and to have some
Leica-content for this thread. (I could have taken NIKON macros, too.)

One might derive from these pics to some extent what to expect from a 10M vs. a 10M-R... --- (I must add that sharpness setting for the A7 was +3, for the A7R2 +2).

10M-R early findings (or gossip) on the net: Delivers more detail than the M10, has more moirees at higher ISOs, is slower to process the larger files ....

Attachments

• DSC00806-a7r22-L60r-8-is.jpg
    DSC00806-a7r22-L60r-8-is.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
i always thought a 'Macro# lens was designed more for 'Close Range' than 'Infinity' -- I know my Pentax 6x7 135mm f4 SMC -Macro-Pentax lens is poor at 'infinity'

i always thought a 'Macro# lens was designed more for 'Close Range' than 'Infinity' -- I know my Pentax 6x7 135mm f4 SMC -Macro-Pentax lens is poor at 'infinity'

Yes, this is what most people think. - But good macro lenses can be used as general purpose lenses having high resolution and no field curvature.

This applies to my two ZEISS Macro-Planars, 50 and 100, too. -

I used the Macro-Elmarit R, because it shows better corner performance than an M mount lens on the SONYs (and because it is a LEITZ (Leica) lens) ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, ... (Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/50 f 2,5; crops) :

L1022621_DxO-L50s-25-c.jpg

L1022621_DxO-L50s-25-cc.jpg

Surprisingly, even a 18MP senor allows cropping ... ---

Attachments

• L1022621_DxO-L50s-25.jpg
    L1022621_DxO-L50s-25.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 2
Danger -- Men at Work !! M6 + a borrowed Voigtlander 'Ultron' 35mm f1.4 outdated Kodak Supra 400 home-processed in C41
Danger Men at Work!.jpg

Leica M4 + Light Lens Lab 35mm Summicron 8-Element Replica + Portra 400:

mNHw2G8.jpg

Wj8U6pq.jpg

3CCA003.jpg

wOMpgpI.jpg

QkNEqyT.jpg

PGIvJUZ.jpg

4iRhDqe.jpg

The lens perfectly matches my 50mm Rigid Summicron for resolution and colour.

Nice photos, that's Walthamstow, lived there for about twelve years, many happy memories.

Last edited:
I lived in Ruby Road opposite the William Morris Museum, havent been back for about twenty years.
Only go back now to watch the O's, must have a stroll down the market one of these days

I lived in Ruby Road opposite the William Morris Museum, havent been back for about twenty years.
Only go back now to watch the O's, must have a stroll down the market one of these days

The William Morris museum has a really nice coffee shop there now and Lloyd Park has a skate park and its own market on Saturdays, the High St market is quite nice on a Sunday with a Farmer's Market/lots of food stalls. St James Street at the bottom of the High Street has become a bit of a hub as well.

Last edited:
The William Morris museum has a really nice coffee shop there now and Lloyd Park has a skate park and its own market on Saturdays, the High St market is quite nice on a Sunday with a Farmer's Market/lots of food stalls. St James Street at the bottom of the High Street has become a bit of a hub as well.

I bet the Bell is a bit different now too, Pinar kebab house was at the Hoe St end of my road, great Doner

Hi, in Frankfurt-Niederrad/D ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Super Wide-Heliar 4,5/15 asph. v3 f 8; crop) :

L1022703_DxO-v152-c-tp.jpg

Manually coded as a 2,8/21, it works perfectly ... --- However an M with a level would be easier to handle with a 15mm lens. ---

I wanted to find out what difference a 24MP sensor makes vs. one with 42MP, and IS effects. I used my SONYs and a SONY/ZEISS lens for this, so I did not show it in the Leica thread:

In this thread, there is also a youtube video comparing the resolution of the M10-P and the M10-R.

Attachments

• L1022703_DxO-v152-tp.jpg
    L1022703_DxO-v152-tp.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I had this film in my Leica M6 since last Christmas un-scanned so I took the opportunity to try out a 'Plustek OptikFilm ' 8200 series scanner from a camera club mate , at 3.600 DPI to see how it compares with my CANON 9000F Mk II at 2,400 DPI. It scanned with a 'Blueish' cast which I corrected in FastStone Image Viewer as I would in the darkroom with filters.
RFF 07.jpgRFF 08.jpgRFF 09.jpg

Adam's holiday snaps :cool:

Mixture of m240 and m9. 35mm CV 1.7, and 50 lux ASPH (there might be a 90mm summarit shot in there too, but I'm not convinced)

It was the fist time I really used the M9 this year, kinda missed that guy, I should use it more... (but the 240 is just so much more versatile... I took an image at a party on saturday at iso3200 and just about got away with pushing it two stops.... #inyourdreamsm9)

anyway, here's the damn pictures!!

L1020535.C1.jpg

M1008570.C1.jpg

L1020561.C1.jpg

M1008627.C1.jpg

L1020508.C1.jpg

M1008644.C1.jpg

L1020547.C1.jpg

M1008600.C1.jpg

Back