Official Talk Leica thread

Been using the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar for the last week or so.

Looks pretty good on the M10-P, I like the contrast and the sharpness of it but still not sure if I don't just want a Summicron 35mm f2 ASPH.
Doesn't seem to be too many comparable reviews for the Summicron v Color Skopar.
If anyone has any ideas, would love to hear them.

L1007841.jpg

my heart said 35/f2 Leica... but my wallet said Voigtlander 35/1.7 and I have to say I haven’t been unhappy! (I prefer the CV to my summarit 35, more “pop” and I think a little sharper too)

maybe this is helpful...

my heart said 35/f2 Leica... but my wallet said Voigtlander 35/1.7 and I have to say I haven’t been unhappy! (I prefer the CV to my summarit 35, more “pop” and I think a little sharper too)

maybe this is helpful...

Thanks Adam, I’ll take a look at the link you shared.

I know wallet over head, but sometimes.... I also appear to have collected ‘another’ arsenal of Fujifilm stuff that I could use to offset the wallet argument :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hi, have a nice weekend ! (Leica M9 - Elmar 3,8/24 asph. f 3,8 ; crop) :

L1022900_DxO-L3824-38-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1022900_DxO-L3824-38-f.jpg
    L1022900_DxO-L3824-38-f.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 5
Leica M10 + 50mm f1.1 7artisans
Kitty from the street, very fluffy, friendly, but difficult to take a photo of. Everytime I crouched down, it ran over, so just missed the best focus... 50 mm has 70cm min focus...

Sad after I left... no more strokes...

Couple more findings on processing m10 photos
* LR somehow detects and applies a lot of settings (which I would prefer it didn't)
* LR annoyance of not applying settings when selecting multiple pictures :/
* Turned off auto detect to not have a specific setting applied in camera - not sure whether it affects the picture. However that means guessing the lenses (I only have the 50mm anyway that can be detected
I am turning on the auto detect now...
Tomorrow going to try all lenses (and clean them all) to see if there is any dust or marks (found a few on new shots)

One of the local japanese restaurants...

Last edited:
Leica M10 + 50mm f1.1 7artisans
Kitty from the street, very fluffy, friendly, but difficult to take a photo of. Everytime I crouched down, it ran over, so just missed the best focus... 50 mm has 70cm min focus...

Sad after I left... no more strokes...

Couple more findings on processing m10 photos
* LR somehow detects and applies a lot of settings (which I would prefer it didn't)
* LR annoyance of not applying settings when selecting multiple pictures :/
* Turned off auto detect to not have a specific setting applied in camera - not sure whether it affects the picture. However that means guessing the lenses (I only have the 50mm anyway that can be detected
I am turning on the auto detect now...
Tomorrow going to try all lenses (and clean them all) to see if there is any dust or marks (found a few on new shots)

On of the local japanese restaurants...

I’ve read that on the M10 LR reads the iso tag in the DNG and applies noise reduction based on ISO. Apparently the work around is to make a zero-NR preset and apply on import..

what other settings does LR apply to M10 files?

LR has made me want to tear my hair out at various times by either applying settings to a bunch of images when I don’t want it too, or refusing to do so when I do :D

My 7artisans 50 is the only lens that my M240 won’t reliably read each time (works fine on my m9 though) and I wouldn't mind... except my Voigtländer and Zeiss lenses have been home coded by me using nothing more than a dab of permanent marker, and it can read them fine!

I still have M10 GAS... :rolleyes: but getting one any time soon will be a huge stretch for me financially.

So patient I must be...

I’m taking a bit of twisted pleasure in finding out solutions to all of the little 240 ‘quirks’

A freeware LR plugin takes care of that green shadows crap that it likes to do when you push exposure

NIK denoise takes the sting out of the banding it can do in similar circumstances

and most importantly (to me anyway) I’ve arrived at default colour profile that I like and works for most things

I’m sure if when I get an M10, I’ll never look back... but I think I will miss the 240 battery life, which always goes over 700 shots, often over 800 and once over a 1000. (It’s like having a DSLR again!)

I’m sure if when I get an M10, I’ll never look back... but I think I will miss the 240 battery life, which always goes over 700 shots, often over 800 and once over a 1000. (It’s like having a DSLR again!)

Battery life really isn’t a major issue on the M10. Normal practice such as switching off between frames helps a lot.

I’ve never used an M240, so can’t comment on what corrections LR makes but the files always look damned good to me.

The only issue I have really is not really M10-P related but Leica M as a whole - guessing non coded lenses and aperture values.

Battery life really isn’t a major issue on the M10. Normal practice such as switching off between frames helps a lot.

I’ve never used an M240, so can’t comment on what corrections LR makes but the files always look damned good to me.

The only issue I have really is not really M10-P related but Leica M as a whole - guessing non coded lenses and aperture values.

Accepted wisdom over at LUF is 300ish from the M10 battery... kinda Fuji like I guess!

LR doesn't really make any corrections on the <M10 cameras, apparently on the >M10 cameras NR is applied according to the specified ISO

The M10 still makes the de rigueur aperture guess like the other Ms, no? (I shoot a lot with a 2 or 3 stop ND, so I see a lot of F4 when I know it was really F1.4 :D )

FWIW...

Another thing that made me decide to wait was that I have (for my 240) the official EVF, leather case, spare battery and handgrip.

Assuming that I want those things on an M10... that’s a not inconsiderable (to me anyway) amount of extra cash to find..

for my €0.02... if when you’re using your 240 you’re thinking, damn if only this camera had a better accessory EVF, a hair’s more DR at base ISO and a couple of stops more high ISO then it would be perfect then an M10 will make you very happy.

If not... you’re spending €2800 (and giving up a camera..) for a better accessory EVF, a hair’s more DR at base ISO and a couple of stops more high ISO

But you’ll probably get it if you can, I would :D so really keen to see some shots and hear your thoughts on it!
Accepted wisdom over at LUF is 300ish from the M10 battery... kinda Fuji like I guess!

LR doesn't really make any corrections on the <M10 cameras, apparently on the >M10 cameras NR is applied according to the specified ISO

The M10 still makes the de rigueur aperture guess like the other Ms, no? (I shoot a lot with a 2 or 3 stop ND, so I see a lot of F4 when I know it was really F1.4 :D )

Next time I'm processing the m10 files I'll take some screenshots of the LR defaults. At the moment I've disabled the lens detection, incase there is some in camera fiddling that LR picks up...
Still processing the Germany visit pictures...

I’ll have to see what LR does with corrections on the M10-P. Haven’t notice it to be fair, other than lens corrections when a coded lens is used. But I haven’t paid much attention to what LR is doing.

I find the battery life well in excess of 300 (at least double that would be a conservative guess) and far greater than any of the Fuji cameras I have (or had). AgaIn, I don’t use the EVF much, which would obviously have a greater bearing on battery life. OK, it’s not DSLR like but certainly much better than the average Fuji! (y)

Hi, view of the Rhein, from Bingen/D ... (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/21 asph. f 8 ; crop) :

L1022811_DxO-L21-8-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1022811_DxO-L21a-8.jpg
    L1022811_DxO-L21a-8.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 1
Hi, the iron girl in Schwelm/D ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1001994_DxO-z25b-28-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1001994_DxO-z25b-28.jpg
    L1001994_DxO-z25b-28.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi, my model Basima ... (Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/75 f 2,5 ; crop) :

L1002237_DxO-L75-25-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1002237_DxO-L75-25.jpg
    L1002237_DxO-L75-25.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Leica M4 + LLL 35mm Summicron 8 Element Replica + TriX/HP5 in XTOL:

jSJDKCq.jpg

OudhfgV.jpg

RRZuUP1.jpg

9C2kxdF.jpg

NFQGU0L.jpg

XW1Hr8c.jpg

Xq7efzl.jpg

vKCCmcG.jpg

Any excuse to take the Leica out at the moment.... a quick wander round Worcester, with the sun shining (unlike today)

Didn't realise I'd left the ISO at 1600 even if that beautiful sunny sunshine :rolleyes:

Leica M10-P & Summicron 50mm f2

L1008480 1
by Dave Young, on Flickr

L1008482
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Still tossing up whether to sell the Fujifilm crown jewels I have for a Summicron 35mm f2. I love the Leica and its output so much, but the ease of the Fujifilm is just so easy to use what I want sometimes, even if I don't like what I see from the files!

Hi, ... Schwetzingen Classic Gala 2020 (Leica M9 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50).

f 2,8 crop :

L1003293_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

L1003294_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

f 4, crop :

L1003288_DxO-z50s-4-c.jpg

I used the Summicron 50 on day 1, The Sonnar on day 2. I was satisfied with both ... ---

Future type question:
tt artisans lenses .. 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f 0.95 - similar to the 7artisans ? ie not leica glass, but affordable and nice?
Anyone got these lenses?

Phil Reeve site has in depth reviews... good for the money, but only adequate by any other yardstick was my take away...

better that the 7artisans 50 f1 though

see also

I SUSPECT the new 7artisans 35/1.4 edges the TTartisans one... (bigger size though) and re a 50/0.95, it might be worth to see if 7artisans make one too, as there seems to be some competition going on between them..

Back