Oh no, not another £20

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Home bargains early this morning, just a little after 8.30am. The first person at the cash out, gave a £20 and the cashier said, haven't you got anything less. The customers replied, Sorry that is all I have. This process was repeated with the second customer. When it came to my turn my few bits came to £12.88, I gave the cashier £22.88 so I could get a £10 note back. The cashier yelled very loudly to the supervisor, I haven't got any tenners. The supervisor rushed over hurriedly looking all worried, and replied that she only had a few fivers to spare. The cashier gave me a very hard stare, as she shoved the fivers into my hand. She probably felt like shoving them some place else :eek:

There are times when I feel guilty at giving a £20 over to shop workers, but they really should carry a decent float. I know there are times when they will run short, but be nice about it:)

I guess so many people pay by card these days there's less need to keep a large float.

That said there's no excuse, it's poor management, it costs them nowt.

Last edited:
I guess so many people pay by card these days there's less need to keep a large float.

That said there's no excuse, it's poor management, it costs them nowt.
When I worked in catering, I always made sure I had plenty of fivers tenners and a good assortment of silver and copper. I know that may not be possible in chain stores etc when the cashier may not have control over the till. But surely keep an eye on things, and let the supervisor know they are running short on change. Not wait till they are doing a transaction, and halt the whole process while the till gets re organised..

Last edited:
For a lot of us, the £20 note is a seldom seen article these days.

What i find odd is that if you were to try to pay with a £50 note in this Country it would cause untold confusion, go to any Euro Currency Country and hand over a 50Euro note and it`s easily accepted :runaway:.

I simply use Apple Pay :p or failing that use my debit card to help them out if it doesn't cost me anything extra.

What i find odd is that if you were to try to pay with a £50 note in this Country it would cause untold confusion, go to any Euro Currency Country and hand over a 50Euro note and it`s easily accepted :runaway:.

They're not so keen on the €500 note though!

I tried to spend a £50 many many years ago, no shop would take it off me. As I was trying to purchase one item from a 50P shop, may not have gone in my favour lol

I was trying to purchase items for an average of about £20 at the time I think, I would never try buying anything less than a tenner with a £50 :rolleyes:

I tried to spend a £50 many many years ago, no shop would take it off me. As I was trying to purchase one item from a 50P shop, may not have gone in my favour lol

I was trying to purchase items for an average of about £20 at the time I think, I would never try buying anything less than a tenner with a £50 :rolleyes:
If I was the shop owner I would have given the change in 50p coins :)

When I had a lodger in my apartment in central London he used to pay me in 50's. His mum would send a bundle to cover six weeks each time. As it was my beer money it was always frowned upon, except at this club on the Farringdon Road in London. They were quite happy to see red ;)

If I was the shop owner I would have given the change in 50p coins :)

When I had a lodger in my apartment in central London he used to pay me in 50's. His mum would send a bundle to cover six weeks each time. As it was my beer money it was always frowned upon, except at this club on the Farringdon Road in London. They were quite happy to see red ;)

I would have accepted them gratefully, I recall always looking for 50P pieces. I think both the rental TV and the electric meter took 50P coins :p

Not my experience trying to hand over a €50 to a Parisian taxi driver (stupid cash point gave me all 50s). Luckily I could just cover the fare in random notes and coins left over from my last trip but it was a close run thing. It also meant a pitiful tip for him.

I would have accepted them gratefully, I recall always looking for 50P pieces. I think both the rental TV and the electric meter took 50P coins :p

At university the washing machines took 20p's so they were much sought after.

Amongst the country's finest (allegedly) young minds I was the only one who had the idea to go to the bank and buy a bagful.

Last edited:
Not my experience trying to hand over a €50 to a Parisian taxi driver (stupid cash point gave me all 50s). Luckily I could just cover the fare in random notes and coins left over from my last trip but it was a close run thing. It also meant a pitiful tip for him.

I have noticed in restaurants, I never seem to get a tenner in my change. I normally get a fiver and five coins. A smart waiter thinking about his tip :)

My fuel money, paid by work is always a Fifty.
Never had an issue, even in somewhere small like a local takeaway.

People seem to always scrutinies £20 to make sure they are genuine, and ignore small cash. A week fails to go by when I seem to have a suspect £1 coin given to me, I always give them back to whoever gave me it :) . Can't remember the last time I got a dodgy £20 given to me. Oh no, should not have said that as I will end up being given one at the cashpoint :eek:

I very rarely have any cash as such on me, other than if we go out for a meal or to buy something on trade stalls at Brands Hatch etc. it's debit card for everything else, bank transfers or online shopping. I may have a few pound coins in my pocket for the shopping trolley at Tesco, any other loose change is from when I pick up a few bits of shopping for the Mother-in-law. I did find a £20 note in my wallet a week or so ago, probably been in their since we were at Brands Hatch a couple of months back.

In Germany the cash machines will usually give out 50€s and sometimes 100€s. Both are accepted in most places without a second thought. Even though customer service is low on their list. But it's still largely a cash society here, so they carry a lot of cash.

Last edited:
One day bus ticket is £6.40, driver moans when you give them a tenner, what else do they expect.

Last time when the driver asked if I had something smaller I folded the tenner in half, he didn't see the funny side though

One day bus ticket is £6.40, driver moans when you give them a tenner, what else do they expect.

Last time when the driver asked if I had something smaller I folded the tenner in half, he didn't see the funny side though

On the rare occasion I catch a bus I use an app as my ticket.

Not sure what that means, but here cash is king and presumably would need to own a smartphone for that, I don't

They have that system in Bath where my father in law lives, but on investigation apparently there are problems with it - you need to buy the tickets in advance, and then activate them in the App shortly before boarding the bus. But apparently sometimes the activation doesn't go through so you miss the bus, and if you try to activate too early it might expire before the bus arrives.
Surely just using debit cards, like TFL have done to complement/replace Oyster, is simpler and more reliable?

I always carry cash in case I need to make a purchase below the debit card limit or I need a taxi in a hurry (not all black cabs have card readers, and even in those that do the commission is piracy).

They have that system in Bath where my father in law lives, but on investigation apparently there are problems with it - you need to buy the tickets in advance, and then activate them in the App shortly before boarding the bus. But apparently sometimes the activation doesn't go through so you miss the bus, and if you try to activate too early it might expire before the bus arrives.
Surely just using debit cards, like TFL have done to complement/replace Oyster, is simpler and more reliable?

No idea if they are using the same platform in Bath as they do here. Once activated the ticket lasts until midnight. It's not failed me yet.

Way back in the 80s I went to visit a relative in London, I needed change for a parking meter, yes the lamp post type that you stuck money in. I went into a shop for some change, there was a big notice on the door, and it said We Do Not Have Change For The Parking Meters, only if you buy something we will then give you change for the meter. I bought a chocolate bar and gave a fiver over, he grumbled and said have you nothing less, I said I will have when you give me change. I quickly realised Northern and Southern wit did not mix :)

I use an app frequently on our bus/underground/trains. Brilliant! I buy the ticket at home or at the airport waiting at the baggage claim. Saves rushing to a ticket machine before the train leaves.

Last edited:
I like the NFC system from the London area. No need to pre purchase tickets. No need for cash. Auto calculation for the best price of a discount ticket when you use it a lot during the week. And so on.

As easy like uber for taxis.

Homebase don't give two hoots about customer service.

Sorry for the drift. I emailed Homebase last week asking for a spare part for a dehumidifier I bought from them. I got an automated reply saying they would reply within 72 hrs. Four days later I got an automated reply apologising for not replying within 72 hrs and asking if my problem had been resolved in the meantime, if not "click here" so I clicked. An automated email came back saying they will reply within 72hrs. :mad:

He was probably taken aback that a Northerner actually had as much as a fiver. ;)
Way back in the 70s I think I got about £20 and something pennies for a weeks wage. Couple of bob in your back pocket and you were doing well. Northerners did normally have to do good old fashioned graft for their wage. I think I did at one point wear a flat cap, it was my brother who had the Whippet though ;)

Years ago going through a Tunnel and having to pay a toll at the other end, I only had a £20 on me and a handful of slummy. I did not want to break into a nice new crisp £20, for a Toll of £1.70 I think it was. I got out of the car and started rummaging around the car for change, the traffic started backing up behind me. The attendant opened the barrier and said forget it, he waived me through :).. Don't think they would do that now.

Whenever I hand over a £20 note and they check it under the UV light to see if it's fake, if I get a £10 or £5 back I make a point of holding it up to the light and turn it over if I'm not in a rush.

Reactions: BBR
Whenever I hand over a £20 note and they check it under the UV light to see if it's fake, if I get a £10 or £5 back I make a point of holding it up to the light and turn it over if I'm not in a rush.

You do know that if a shop accepts forged notes then they literally lose that money? I have no problem with anyone in any shop checking my money. The one second it takes causes me no delay.

You do know that if a shop accepts forged notes then they literally lose that money? I have no problem with anyone in any shop checking my money. The one second it takes causes me no delay.
My ex was a Bank Manager, and she told me if they had any forged notes they would stick them in a bundle and pass them onto another bank. Each Bank in turn would pass it on, until a bank would stand the loss. If they found a forgery in any money deposited at the branch, they would withhold it as ordered by law.

Yes I did. That's why if one slips through the net it'll often be punted back to a customer. That's how I avoid getting one in the first place.

Back