Olympus OM-D E-M10

I have the Em-1, not the EM10. However, looking at the images in Lightroom and comparing them to similar shots with my old D700, there's nothing in it, even at higher ISO's. Haven't printed yet, but print's a forgiving medium compared to a 100% screen view! Sensor tech has come a long way... Plus, DoF with the 45/1.8 is plenty thin enough, wouldn't want it any thinner. I have a low ISO setting and a 1/8000'th, too. Walking around with a top-end body and a 600mm lens today, handheld, all in weighed less than my old 300/4 alone... f/8 and 1/1000 ISO priority gave me nearly no binned shots. Just a great camera, and I have my eye on that lovvverrrrly 75/1.8, too!

Last edited:
Just watched the vid and it raised a question in my mind... Does this guy know what he's doing?

I suppose he's a famous photographer and he'll be better than me but even so I think I can expose a shot correctly and with modern software I can produce an ISO 1600 shot that's good for more than facebook with my old G1 and then there's his missed focus shots. If he can't do better with the latest kit I suspect that the problem isn't the kit. But, what do I know :confused:

PS. And that rant about the charger. My God. Do you have to spoon feed everyone these days? He has a problem with carrying a mains lead and wishes that the plug was on the charger.... well, the fix is to buy a plug that'll fit straight into the charger. It took me less than 30 seconds to find one, £2.79.

Last edited:
Just watched the vid and it raised a question in my mind... Does this guy know what he's doing?

I suppose he's a famous photographer and he'll be better than me but even so I think I can expose a shot correctly and with modern software I can produce an ISO 1600 shot that's good for more than facebook with my old G1 and then there's his missed focus shots. If he can't do better with the latest kit I suspect that the problem isn't the kit. But, what do I know :confused:

PS. And that rant about the charger. My God. Do you have to spoon feed everyone these days? He has a problem with carrying a mains lead and wishes that the plug was on the charger.... well, the fix is to buy a plug that'll fit straight into the charger. It took me less than 30 seconds to find one, £2.79.

That's my point exactly! I fell in love with this wee camera and he just putting me off with those bits...
I don't know if this guy is superb photographer or not, but if he is why is he moaning about out of focus photos - things like that happen sometimes with any camera, why he pointed it out as a con for M10?
..and that mumbling about the lead, he said he uses bigger SLRs, so I can imagine his baggage with all the stuff he carries - that lead is nothing compared to that;)

That's my point exactly! I fell in love with this wee camera and he just putting me off with those bits...
I don't know if this guy is superb photographer or not, but if he is why is he moaning about out of focus photos - things like that happen sometimes with any camera, why he pointed it out as a con for M10?
..and that mumbling about the lead, he said he uses bigger SLRs, so I can imagine his baggage with all the stuff he carries - that lead is nothing compared to that;)

Watching the video I wondered if he was relying too much on auto features like face detection and focus tracking and that maybe that was why he was missing focus. Also with the poor exposure shots, if you've got a back lit subject what do you expect? You'll have to dial in some compensation, this is news? The conditions didn't look that bad so I personally would put the bad results down to a poor review / the reviewer having to find something to complain about... and personally I wouldn't let that review put me off.

That wasn't the video I watched. Lol. He was very favourable in the video I saw. I love the idea of something smaller than my current setup and being able to make use of the 2x crop factor with longer lenses but I don't think I'm quite there yet to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on one.

Watching the video I wondered if he was relying too much on auto features like face detection and focus tracking and that maybe that was why he was missing focus. Also with the poor exposure shots, if you've got a back lit subject what do you expect? You'll have to dial in some compensation, this is news? The conditions didn't look that bad so I personally would put the bad results down to a poor review / the reviewer having to find something to complain about... and personally I wouldn't let that review put me off.

I'll wait and see how many peeps will buy it and how it's gonna perform. From reviews it sounds very nice.
I would buy it straight away, but £529 for a body is a bit too much for me.
In the meantime I have my G5. I would buy M10 only for its retro look which I LOVE and stabilization in movies - my G5+20mm 1.7 makes beautiful photos but movies are shaky. I sold 45-150 cause low light movies were crappy. I think M10+45/1.8 would be a lot better for those movies...
I wonder how long would I need to wait to get body price drop below £400 point... a year?

Last edited:
So... I keep coming back to this... am I mad in thinking of swapping a D7000 for one?

It depends on what you want.

I went for MFT because they're closer to the size cameras used to be before someone gave DSLR's access to all the food in the fridge and they and their lenses became big fat bloated lumps. Having said that MFT are still heavier than cameras used to be, but at least being smaller and lighter than DSLR's is a little victory.

The lenses seem to be optically good too but they're no marking, no feel, no end stop, fly by wire jobbies and to be honest I hate all of that. Another downside of the system is that the max shutter speed is often 1/4000 and if you are a fan of using wide apertures in good light (and remember f8 and be there is now f4 and be there) you may have to use ND's a lot... but I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't want to shoot at f8 (equiv f16) all day.

All in all I'd say it's probably worth while going for one of these cameras or something similar if you can live with the lens technology and don't mind having a box of ND's with you at all times.

PS. Just thought of another big + ... no more front / back focus silliness.

I don't THINK I've ever took a shot above 1/4000 anyway, ever.

How good are the Sigma 19mm f2.8 and the 60 f2.8? Are they sharp? I jumped on the bandwagon with the D7000 a little and although it's an ace camera, can't say I have been that impressed with the IQ... my Sony a37 produced nicer looking shots imo (although they're the same sensor...) which is a bit of a disappointment for me.

I don't THINK I've ever took a shot above 1/4000 anyway, ever.

How good are the Sigma 19mm f2.8 and the 60 f2.8? Are they sharp? I jumped on the bandwagon with the D7000 a little and although it's an ace camera, can't say I have been that impressed with the IQ... my Sony a37 produced nicer looking shots imo (although they're the same sensor...) which is a bit of a disappointment for me.

I have the Sigma 19 and 60mm lenses and they are absolutely superb. Both razor sharp from wide open and fast focusing. They are an absolute steal and you'll go a long way before you find more bang for your buck :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks for the info Simon, very helpful indeed!!

Hmm... em10, 14-42 power zoom jobby and 45-150 for £673 from Panamoz.... looking so tempting right now! Add in a 19mm f2.8 and the 60mm f2.8 for £125 each and it does seem an extremely good bargain. Just need to find someone who has one and can share a few insights into how they're getting on with them.

Are there any speedlights to go with these and how are they controlled for OCF?

Cheers all.

Can you guys remember how much M5 or M1 cost at release and how fast prices dropped?
I'm wondering when can we expect price drop on that M10 and how much...

The profit margin on the E-M10 is much smaller than it was on the E-M5, I wouldn't expect a price drop of significance anytime soon.
Heck I'm still waiting for an e-P5 to come down into my price zone ...

For UK stock the Olympus OM-D E-M5 body was £1000 at launch and more or less stayed that way for the best part of a year before a drop of around 20% to £800 ish, current price is around £600 (2 years after launch), so a 40% saving on the initial price. So either buy now and enjoy the camera or be prepared to wait a while for a significant drop, say to £400 or less which might take 9 months or more (or go the grey import route). Even if it drops 10% or so from the launch price of £529 after initial demand has dropped off you are only saving £50 or so. Or look at a used EM-5 (around £350?). Olympus m43 prices seem to hold for longer than Panasonic prices or dslr prices.

Last edited:
Well, I'm in love with the look of M10. I have G5 right now, barely used, like new actually. I guess swap to M10 wouldn't make a big difference. Of course image stabilisation is very important for me. I only use primes, right now Pana 20mm and making movies are difficult with shaky hands;) 3 axis would help a lot I think. I LOVE this retro look of M10, plus all other advantages compared to G5.
However - I guess I could get £200-230 max for my G5 body and would need to add £300 for M10, so I guess that would be insane...:(
£400 would be better price.

I could for example buy with kit EZ lens for £699, then sell lens for £250, that would make body for £450... Still a bit too much to add up after selling G5...
Anyone fancy brand new EZ kit lens for £250?

How much are you looking to pay for the em-10, Phinix?

How much I would pay for it? Depends how much I would get for my G5..
Next would be selling my Pana 20mm and get Oly 17mm ( faster but read it is a bit too soft...)

Last edited:
Oly 17mm f1.8 is great, but the f2.8 is not really worth the upgrade from a pan 20mm. The panasonic is much sharper, albeit slower to focus. I noticed today though, that the pan 20mm seems faster on an e-m10 than the panasonic g5 and gx7 (strange, but that's just the way it seemed to me)

You'd struggle to sell the g5 second hand today as Jessops are currently selling for £288 with the 14-42mm and it includes a 16gb SanDisk Extreme Card free.
Also, the E-M10 is selling for £599.99 at Jessops with the normal 14-42 (ie. not the power zoom, pancake lens). I'm not purposefully trying to plug Jessops btw, but I do my market research and their prices are pretty competitive. I think after a few months the price of this kit will come down a knotch or two as the trade price is a tad cheaper than that of the power zoom kits... In fact, for some reason the trade price of that kit lens is cheaper than the body only.

Ask yourself one question though, is the image stabilisation really worth the upgrade when you could cart around a tripod instead? (obviously making it less mobile, but still it would save you money on the upgrade) Ok... the IQ is better too and it does have handy features too like focus peaking and wi-fi as well. I love the e-m10, but the g5 is great too and represents great value for money.

Oly 17mm f1.8 is great, but the f2.8 is not really worth the upgrade from a pan 20mm. The panasonic is much sharper, albeit slower to focus. I noticed today though, that the pan 20mm seems faster on an e-m10 than the panasonic g5 and gx7 (strange, but that's just the way it seemed to me)

You'd struggle to sell the g5 second hand today as Jessops are currently selling for £288 with the 14-42mm and it includes a 16gb SanDisk Extreme Card free.
Also, the E-M10 is selling for £599.99 at Jessops with the normal 14-42 (ie. not the power zoom, pancake lens). I'm not purposefully trying to plug Jessops btw, but I do my market research and their prices are pretty competitive. I think after a few months the price of this kit will come down a knotch or two as the trade price is a tad cheaper than that of the power zoom kits... In fact, for some reason the trade price of that kit lens is cheaper than the body only.

Ask yourself one question though, is the image stabilisation really worth the upgrade when you could cart around a tripod instead? (obviously making it less mobile, but still it would save you money on the upgrade) Ok... the IQ is better too and it does have handy features too like focus peaking and wi-fi as well. I love the e-m10, but the g5 is great too and represents great value for money.

Yeah, looks like £200 for G5 is better price looking at kit combo Jessops has.
I meant 17mm f1.8 of course - still, worried about reviews saying its not that sharp. Do you have that lens? Can someone confirm?

Its not a lens that I'd use myself to be honest, but I've seen reviews from people who love it. I can definitely vouch for the sharp 12mm f2... it's awesome!

Its not a lens that I'd use myself to be honest, but I've seen reviews from people who love it. I can definitely vouch for the sharp 12mm f2... it's awesome!
That are next lens on my mind.
ACtually I thought that perfect set for me would be 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8.
I used my 20mm 1.7 for a long time and never took them off camera. I'm a bit worried if 12mm would be too wide for all around use...

I love the 45mm f1.8 and I don't know anyone who doesn't. The 12mm is a little wide for general use, but it is really sharp and I imagine it's great for landscapes... One thing that bugs me with the e-m10 is that the focus peaking is a massive let down... It seems to work when it decides it wants to (It's so bad that I'm wondering if my particular model is faulty). It's very frustrating as often I can see that it is switched on in the menu, but it doesn't appear to work (perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but i can't fathom what it is). You also can't change the strength of the peaking as I've noticed you've been able to do with Sony cameras.

I've just realised that assigning a function button to focus peaking seems to have solved the problem.... now if only there were more function buttons...

Hi All,
I'm new here; and new to Digital photography. I recently bought an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with std 14-42 lens. also puchased a Panasinic 45-150 f4 lens.
I'm very Impressed with the Oly E-M10 although I'm new to CSC cameras. the Wi-Fi works a treat (I don't think the E-M5 has wifi?) and the 300 I-S stabilisation is advanced in comparison to the E-m5, so you wont notice the difference in stabalisation. I love the new camera and I'm only in the basic learning stage! so probably going to ask lots of questions in the future.

Hi Minnnnt,
Bit of a discovery for me; and really just on the learning curve of the E-M10. My knowledge is only basic! I'm still at the stage of playing with the camera, I'm taking shots at all kinds of settings and combinations, so my photos are barely acceptable. Although I am pleasantly surprised at the end product, although probably not acceptable to those with a wealth of experience in equipment and producing quality photos.
In answer to your question; I'm more than pleased with the E-M10. I cannot think of any situation (with the correct lens) that the em10 couldn't cope with. I'll not get beyond the technology of it's realms, covers everything I'll need from a digital camera.

Guys, have you seen this combo? E-M10 with Olympus 14-42mm EZ & 40-150mm Twin Lens Kit
What is that shop? Is it genuine or fake?

I'm looking for cheapest way buying E-M10. Getting combo I can sell lens separately...

Would you buy from those shops hdew or panamoz?

Well hdew has the body only for £509 don't they? AFAIK that's the cheapest place.

I would buy from both but would prefer to deal with hdew as they are in this country and have a shop I think so you could actually go if you had any issues. Plenty of happy customers here from what I have read.

Well hdew has the body only for £509 don't they? AFAIK that's the cheapest place.

I would buy from both but would prefer to deal with hdew as they are in this country and have a shop I think so you could actually go if you had any issues. Plenty of happy customers here from what I have read.

Cool, thanks. I also found some reviews and looks like they are really good in it. Plus like you said, its good they have a shop in UK. Thanks for info(y)

Are there any better batteries for E-M10?

So... I keep coming back to this... am I mad in thinking of swapping a D7000 for one?
I don think so, I keep thinking about doing the same as well David, it would be so much easier to travel with, but I am unsure what lenses would replace my current line up and if they are really any good????

What lenses are you replacing Lee? The only one you may struggle with is your wide angle. Olympus make a 9-18 which is awesome but it's pricey I think.

The zooms (such as the Oly 75-300) would give you a max reach of 600mm which is awesome!!

Back