Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Drool
panasonic.jpeg
link
Looks like it may cost more than the 7-14 mm constant f/2.8, will it be any better?

One from tonight Just a bit too far away OMD MKII 300f4 pro loving the silent shutter but this bird just happened to go the other way .
Rob.

P4180206--SMALL.jpg

Looks like it may cost more than the 7-14 mm constant f/2.8, will it be any better?
It takes filters though at 67 mm thread I think. Unfortunately it lacks a focus scale.

Question: When I use the Olympus app to copy a MOV video from my EM5ii to my smartphone, it's a big file. What is a good app to compress it for sharing? I tried one app (Mov to MP4 converter) where the result quality in mp4 was quite poor. Does Olympus have an app?
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
There is a sharing and critique area of the forum where you may get more response.

I am no expert, and it's all subjective, but on the blossom photo, I find the out of focus foreground slightly distracting. I also think it would benefit from the main focus being on a flower facing the camera. The flower pot photo is nice and sharp throughout, and is suited to B&W. The shadows from top left act as nice leading lines into the main subject.

Just had an em10 back from being converted to infrared and I've noticed it's making a weird whiring sort of noise.....It wasn't before it left. It's not the ibis as it still does it while thats off (and it sound nothing like my other em10 or what it did before it left) any ideas what it might be? The company who did it are taking it back to look at and have been great but just wondered if theres anything I should check first? Cheers

Just had an em10 back from being converted to infrared and I've noticed it's making a weird whiring sort of noise.....It wasn't before it left. It's not the ibis as it still does it while thats off (and it sound nothing like my other em10 or what it did before it left) any ideas what it might be? The company who did it are taking it back to look at and have been great but just wondered if theres anything I should check first? Cheers
I'm sure it wouldn't have happened with an em5 conversion ;-)

I've been meaning to investigate the focus bracketing on my EM5ii for some time. I'm really impressed. I obviously haven't moved far from my sofa, but this was just 5 shots with a differential of 5, combined manually in Photoshop. Aperture of f/1.8.

Can anyone point me towards some software that will automatically stack the focus points please? I can't wait to try this on some macro subjects... beyond my sofa!
20170425-P4250092-stacked.jpg

I've been meaning to investigate the focus bracketing on my EM5ii for some time. I'm really impressed. I obviously haven't moved far from my sofa, but this was just 5 shots with a differential of 5, combined manually in Photoshop. Aperture of f/1.8.
Can anyone point me towards some software that will automatically stack the focus points please? I can't wait to try this on some macro subjects... beyond my sofa!
View attachment 100730
Hugin/Enfuse can do this. http://enblend.sourceforge.net/index.htm

After dabbling with a couple of other brands, I have come back to Olympus, with an em10 mk2 and the 14-42 + 40-150 kit lenses. There's just something about this system that I really enjoy, particularly the 40-150 lens. For a cheap kit lens it's a cracker. Just need to get out now and take loads of shots.

Are the shots taken with it OK?

Have they done something to the IBIS. Or has changing the sensor filter config affected the IBIS I wonder.

Ask over on UK E-System as Ralph has converted hisown cameras and has some idea about this stuff.

View attachment 100730
Doesn't the EM1 do that in-camera?

Are the shots taken with it OK?

Have they done something to the IBIS. Or has changing the sensor filter config affected the IBIS I wonder.

Ask over on UK E-System as Ralph has converted hisown cameras and has some idea about this stuff.

Well its back at the convertors so will see what he says (hes away until Saturday) but he was a bit confused, but we both mentioned the ibis

Well its back at the convertors so will see what he says (hes away until Saturday) but he was a bit confused, but we both mentioned the ibis
Keep us informed. I fancy an infra red camera.

I'm new to 4/3 and like you I have got the omd-em5 MKII I initially with the 17mm and 45mm primes
But I soon added a Couple of bargain priced Panasonic len's the 100-300mm and the 14-140mm which I have found to be much better so far than the Olympus 14-150mm MKII lens that I tried out !
I have also added a few lens adapters to use some of my large arsenal of len's that I own.
I'm finding the menu system rather daunting though ;)

Sorry for the delay in replying, been offline for a while!

My first impressions are that the weight of it is amazing, so light I hardly feel it.

I'm getting a bit more used to the menu system, but still struggle to find bits at times.

I've got to go out and practice a lot more, but at least I am doing that now as opposed to with the DSLR. I think I found my 40D easier to use from the off, and I think the AF is still better on the 40D. Hoping to get out and try live composite one night to see how that works.

I think I should have listened to everyone and got a zoom fro wide to short range instead of the 25mm which is not really working for me range wise, but I am glad I got the 60mm Macro.

A 100-300 sounds amazing for getting some images of wildlife (that is not moving too quickly!) - what's the image quality like?

Just come across a problem using my L bracket and shutter release, when it's in portrait I can't put it on the tripod because of where the cable comes out of the camera. Does anyone have a solution for this? Don't wan't to have to use my phone all the time. Cheers

Just come across a problem using my L bracket and shutter release, when it's in portrait I can't put it on the tripod because of where the cable comes out of the camera. Does anyone have a solution for this? Don't wan't to have to use my phone all the time. Cheers

Same problem on the Fuji X-T2, @mickledore came up with a solution by doubling up the end plate, I'm sure he'll pop along shortly and link to his photo.

(less of an issue on the Fuji now as the Timer mode allows exposures up to 15 mins!!!!)

So still getting to learn how to use my OM-D 5 Mk2.

This is handheld 1/15 sec, ISO 8000, 60mm Macro lens. All things considered, I'm quite happy with it. Focus is not on the head \ eyes, but that's my user error, but for ISO 8000 and the speed quite happy with it.

PgLmK_nsS9I4isxxo0yCF6epALPdDpdh9qOLyvG78eg4ZFoyBdB8ITb3bEBO7QjDvtQVh180ZpSaoj5k7Uly6rnfPqeE7ToDSkP4Fhv__1ft19Ly5iZcy7Lh_hTk3bJwSyi7_fMxoLFbBuKrfzIodMPwKscJ9I6Lykv9TRTCtToy-8fOluD6Hhc9dUYdWiVohkxN1AcKK4vgMfmBBAgzwSj_oYzSxti3lvZLA2u7BFuN_icvyRe7R1zzy4BGLd3wgtW-35xqdpX0jeDHKl9-btBzk1LTIlfCX3OxVr36gVHTGg-66hivBpZmhGXb46V-S_Nh2z6WQt6_VU5Cc2BDoqzhCGqMI0gdG4WL1KMveLLMkdv7xUnFgT92_gS2voZj5hZBgf__WrhJ69Va0NWoNmgyaLoYsb_SxWTbCkqjqbBqKd09uIImxbHl_5h1HWuG5qiGqfzsQcFcfk9vo7SYhFK6JNqpgYQ1u27c6wYOxDxBd02ty-5TSI2crnV9tm89PgLzDoSvNbqlpA68iL-yzG9DyW6TA9PGOItkXHF3770gSKuNRVCFSKllqsRkt1XOQI5Ma-oLafOSNx65XPk9idL6r5z7l70jjOuXAsSmktFI1mgXqRXZLw=w479-h638-no

This was taken at Longleat through the car window for obvious reasons!

MCYJa1QWn9EZfTK3mT-e66bQih3TwDMrP7owiW4lTMcPJHoZJdrBdgPd_SNFVXYdi65rhtfo06H0iGgHdBWqUQegoOTvVp62E8DlIjLt8OAbuiJKIJwP13lMwBM0SxqR3zlrAApOZ7Lukxjyk0qCRJi3O5rZvEoCl7vGkrR1Pa7L0glk4NDTBvSiR-yrF3S9dBFOlgzDf0xac8YSQRYcYFJyJX9QNVLMtxQNHUPMiB62Yodjj36ihaPCnGeJ5cTXoL3Fi3tGHuEcCIn4_D4aKK4hGOvGbPwvGlHvs06WoLpV-QePcU12r7l1D-vfKbrU6jlleUTEyP2M3foSIjRNjWU7hbPoipXus9l61NclyD0lz85wj03szTjRvSO2vKNK0FXWFzpcLAa3yjdLflCBonFgnsoeRYcB4T7TPEnhU4HHJON0PwD2xteVdyUdWqWRuID8ZcsjxKZ8uHuS9A9lwtsYftYiARceYI0taunu7z-zUMfhfpYV3aTFQ4xEK9vlNvi1v_dtJWcAkbjCxyrSHqLS_JOq9m21YQVofCRr6ibdeEZclD-7QKClQb2_YN3arn1uwCs_N5eDAdqQO9TpxxahqG19g3aJ0BAlCwiAdScOYSXPcZ75Yw=w851-h638-no

Took the camera out today with my boys (aged 3 and 6). Certainly miss a lot more shots than with my 40D, the AF is either not the same or I've not got the hand of it. I say miss, but they are shots I would not get as I don't normally take the 40D out with me. If I'm honest I think, in these early days, I 'prefer' my 40D and the images but I realise I still have a lot to learn, inc in post processing which I am not good at.

Ultimately though I need to look at this as an alternative tool, remember why I got it, and make use of some of the features it has I've never used before. In body IS is great, weight is great and for slow or non-moving things it's more than enough for me for now I expect.

The best thing I can say about it is it's got me thinking about photography again which I'd almost given up bar some family photos.

Still undecided whether to try and get longer lens for wildlife or stick to the 40D or DSLR for that.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and tips on this thread, to me and others it's been very helpful.

Last edited:
So my 12-40mm lens cap has just fallen to bit, seen loads of reports of this, bit of a joke really considering it a "pro" lens....what alternatives are people using?

So my 12-40mm lens cap has just fallen to bit, seen loads of reports of this, bit of a joke really considering it a "pro" lens....what alternatives are people using?

I replaced mine straight away a generic one from eBay. I also replaced the lens hood with the JJC LH-J66 which has a much better build quality than the Oly one

Last edited:

I've replaced all my std lens caps with phot-r ones; they're centre pinch so you can fit them with a lens hood on.
They're lasting well and only a few quid each from amazon.

Hello all

So I decided to try Live Composite last night for train and car light trails. It's pretty cool for someone like me anyway. Left camera on a mall tripod at a split in the road, controlled it using the smartphone and could see the image being relayed to the smart phone. I've never used a smart phone before to control a camera, but it actually open up lots of possibilities, I am going to see if I can get it working for wildlife photography of some sort. Any, in my trials, a few things became apparent:

1. Removing the lens cap is immensely helpful :confused: .
2. I am going to need spare batteries. Is there a particular brand people go for or place people get them, or should I just look on 7day shop \ amazon \ ebay etc.

I also need a laptop to camera USB type cable as the camera did not come with one, again any recommendations for this?

Thanks

Will try and post some Live Composite photos once I have some more over the weekend.

Edit I meant to add, and I'm sure this has been covered before, but for changing the ISO I personally have changed it so that I can do this by clicking the OK button to bring up the superpanel (if that is the right name) and can then can then it on the dial, it's actually pretty quick this way, certainly compared to what I was doing before. .

Last edited:
Hello all

So I decided to try Live Composite last night for train and car light trails. It's pretty cool for someone like me anyway. Left camera on a mall tripod at a split in the road, controlled it using the smartphone and could see the image being relayed to the smart phone. I've never used a smart phone before to control a camera, but it actually open up lots of possibilities, I am going to see if I can get it working for wildlife photography of some sort. Any, in my trials, a few things became apparent:

1. Removing the lens cap is immensely helpful :confused: .
2. I am going to need spare batteries. Is there a particular brand people go for or place people get them, or should I just look on 7day shop \ amazon \ ebay etc.

I also need a laptop to camera USB type cable as the camera did not come with one, again any recommendations for this?

Thanks

Will try and post some Live Composite photos once I have some more over the weekend.

Edit I meant to add, and I'm sure this has been covered before, but for changing the ISO I personally have changed it so that I can do this by clicking the OK button to bring up the superpanel (if that is the right name) and can then can then it on the dial, it's actually pretty quick this way, certainly compared to what I was doing before. .
That's the default way of changing ISO isn't it? What were you doing before?

I had a go at a Eurofighter yesterday OMD MKII 300f4 pro + 1.4tc the AF did struggle at times but also got a few and this was about the best in a strong cold wind .

Rob.

SMALL.jpg

Back