Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Yes, have an em1. I just wondered as you seem to never get tired of complaining about olympus was all.
Well, fanboys believe their gear is perfect and nobody should ever criticise their favourite brand. But we don't want that here do we?

If the topic goes that way, I'll happily discuss the precise problems and solutions. As I did a few posts earlier. And, as I already explained just before, when alfbranch used the expression dummy, it's better to realise that in this case, it's not the user that was the dummy.

I have an EM5 mk 1 and mk 2. Where the mk1 has a large number of usability issues that are, thankfully, fixed in the mk2. Let's hope this continues.

Last edited:
Yes. 4 of them. You?
I was correcting Alf branch's comment that 'he' was a dummy for being fooled by Olympus' usability error.
If you view that post correctly in a browser it may look different to taptalk.

Just waiting for a clear night now so i can go try some 'live composite' astrophotography, with my Em5 ii.

I'm also pondering whether i should dump all my Canon gear and move over permanently to micro four thirds, my Olympus Em5 ii and Panasonic G80 are a joy to use.

Just back from New York and have to say I’ve been really impressed with the EM1 and actually glad I took it over my D750. The obvious size and weight advantage was a blessing when you’re doing 30k+ steps/day, but also the IBIS allowed me to hand hold at crazy low shutter speeds, like 1/2 at 40mm (80mmeq). Also, for trips like this having a snappy live view AF is mega handy when you’re holding the camera up above the crowds etc.

Got a lot of photos to sort through and process but I hope to have some up by the weekend, but on first look I’m really happy with the IQ etc.

Whilst there I also popped into B&H, crazy big store for a camera shop. Had a play with the EM1-II and whilst I could only try it on customers walking around the C-AF seemed a marked improvement over my Mark I.

Just back from New York and have to say I’ve been really impressed with the EM1 and actually glad I took it over my D750. The obvious size and weight advantage was a blessing when you’re doing 30k+ steps/day, but also the IBIS allowed me to hand hold at crazy low shutter speeds, like 1/2 at 40mm (80mmeq). Also, for trips like this having a snappy live view AF is mega handy when you’re holding the camera up above the crowds etc.

Got a lot of photos to sort through and process but I hope to have some up by the weekend, but on first look I’m really happy with the IQ etc.

Whilst there I also popped into B&H, crazy big store for a camera shop. Had a play with the EM1-II and whilst I could only try it on customers walking around the C-AF seemed a marked improvement over my Mark I.

B&H is great, I went there on our last day in NYC, probably a good job as I would have spent a small fortune. I did buy a camera case for an Rx100 I had at the time :D

Is the IBIS a bit better on the em1 over the old em5? I can do 1/5 with that at a push. With the G80 I've managed a few 1" stills of the Christmas tree and the em5II is supposedly even better than that.

B&H is great, I went there on our last day in NYC, probably a good job as I would have spent a small fortune. I did buy a camera case for an Rx100 I had at the time :D

Is the IBIS a bit better on the em1 over the old em5? I can do 1/5 with that at a push. With the G80 I've managed a few 1" stills of the Christmas tree and the em5II is supposedly even better than that.
I managed not to buy anything :eek:

As for the IBIS I'm not sure as I've not used the original EM5. I did managed to handhold for 1s with the EM5-II though.

I'd love to have a look around B&H but have never made it. No excuse really, our daughter lives in Manhattan but they always find something else for me to do when I'm there!

I'd love to have a look around B&H but have never made it. No excuse really, our daughter lives in Manhattan but they always find something else for me to do when I'm there!
At the end of the day it’s just a camera store so nothing majorly special. It’s just huge and pretty much has everything you could ever want in terms of photography. It was like going to the photography show but without having to pay an admission fee :LOL:

Taken from the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre New York City. Handheld at 0.5s

PC014313
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Very nice, we did the Rockefeller too, pretty sweet view up there. Did your ears pop in the elevator? :D You'll have to get the 'Home Alone tree' out other side too :)

Last edited:
Very nice, we did the Rockefeller too, pretty sweet view up there. Did your ears pop in the elevator? :D You'll have to get the 'Home Alone tree' out other side too :)
Thanks, yeah they popped on all the 3 tall buildings we went up ;) I've got some of the Home Alone Tree :)

Taken from the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre New York City. Handheld at 0.5s

PC014313
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nice, when you look at the image full size on Flickr you can see some bright dots above the left horizon, stars maybe?

Last edited:
... I'll happily discuss the precise problems and solutions....
I have to comment on ianp5a's critical menu posts : as far as I can see they are correct and perceptive, stuff I've observed myself, but stuff that is easily missed.
I feel that Olympus create the potential for customers to find fault (especially in the menu system) by actually allowing more alterations and features than any other manufacturer's consumer-grade products.
I love it, but still want improvements.

Note sure if I've seen this posted before, but Cactus have just released a new X-firmware for their Cactus V6 II - Wireless Flash Transceiver for Micro Four Thirds. With this custom firmware it's means with a V6 II on camera (set to TX) and any other number of remote flashes (from Olympus, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Pentax) which are mounted on other V6 II's (set to RX mode), can be controlled TTL and completely wirelessly and using cross brand flashes.

I've tried it with my EM1 MK II, with a V6II on top and my Olympus FL-600R in one V6 II and my two Nikon SB900's in two other V6 II's and it's perfect exposure. Each flash can be set to one of four groups and be controlled independently (TTL, Manual or OFF for each group), with EV compensation, power, zoom levels etc, all independently controlled wirelessly. It's great for people like me that have brilliant and powerful Nikon flashes and want to use them on Micro Four Thirds via TTL and not just manual.

Just a heads up.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have just purchased the Olympus em10 mkii and busy going through settings and not sure if it’s something I have done but when I take a picture, it flashes up the preview but when I go to play back mode to view the pic it is simply a black screen? Any ideas. I’m out and about today and was hoping to take some pics

Do you have it set to evf only? Can you see the images in the evf? Like is it a total black screen or just the image that is black?

Last edited:
Do you have it set to evf only? Can you see the images in the evf? Like is it a total black screen or just the image that is black?
I’m not sure so Just took another pic and when I view it I can see a tiny bit of the picture but it’s so dark?

It could be that you have constant preview off, meaning the LCD will show proper exposure even when your settings are way off. What settings are you shooting for these images?

[edit] Sorry, with Olympus it's called 'Live view boost mode' - turn this off, correct your exposure and see if anything improves. You'll find it in cog menu D [or at least that's where it is on the em5]

Boost mode will ignore any exposure adjustments, it'll appear that your image should be well exposed, it's really only useful for when using off cam flash in dark ambient light, for framing and AF.

Last edited:
I
It could be that you have constant preview off, meaning the LCD will show proper exposure even when your settings are way off. What settings are you shooting for these images?

Sorry I’m so new to this.

It’s showing:
Iso200
S-is auto
Raw
Wb auto
Natural
Srgb
S-af

Picture looks fine when take it only dark on the preview

Back