Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Is that with the 0 sec setting.
Yeah, 0 sec.

Just had this shot in Digital SLR Photography Magazine expert critique section but they put it down as being taken a Bloody Canon 5d and 50mm f1.8 not my E-M5ii and 9-18mm lens I mean why would use a 50mm f1.8 for this. Lets face it back when I boiught a camera with a 50mm f1.8 I could wait to get another lens and stop using it.

Tewet tarn dawn reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Really nice image. Really poor of the mag though, I'd contact them and ask that they put in a correction for the next edition.

Beautiful image.

Why did they get so mixed up.

No idea why the mixed it up

You should give them some "expert critique" on their tagging ;)

I did see below

Really nice image. Really poor of the mag though, I'd contact them and ask that they put in a correction for the next edition.

I sent the guy who sent me the PDF copy of article a sarcastice letter about having the Exif data of the guy who was next to me when I took the shot but the they I thought they got his lens wrong then included my exif. I was told it must have been a mix up when they gotthe image from Flickr.
I post some image in the magazines Flickr group and I was proached for permission to use this one.

I will contact the Editor as it was him who contacted me.

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with a 50mm 1.8 for landscape either. Many pros still use a nifty, whatever the make or model. Of course you wouldn't get as much in from the same point, but I don't buy the whole wide for landscape only idea.

I shoot a lot of wideangle landscapes but will shoot whatever I think is needed this was at 150mm

Great Gable in the morning light by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Just had this shot in Digital SLR Photography Magazine expert critique section but they put it down as being taken a Bloody Canon 5d and 50mm f1.8 not my E-M5ii and 9-18mm lens I mean why would use a 50mm f1.8 for this. Lets face it back when I boiught a camera with a 50mm f1.8 I could wait to get another lens and stop using it.

Tewet tarn dawn reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Nice shot Alf and congratulations on being published.

I can imagine conversation of viewers along the lines of “ah yes, full frame, you can tell by the quality of the textures and shadow”. Goes to show that it really doesn’t matter nowadays what kit you use.

Nice shot Alf and congratulations on being published.

I can imagine conversation of viewers along the lines of “ah yes, full frame, you can tell by the quality of the textures and shadow”. Goes to show that it really doesn’t matter nowadays what kit you use.

And in a magazine maybe it doesn't.

As I mentioned in another thread, we just got our wedding album done on line by Jessops and everything looks lovely with shots from phones, compacts, CSC's and FF and no one has pointed at any picture and moaned about quality :D

Anyway, I actually popped into this thread just incase you chaps haven't spotted Steve Huff enthusing about the Oly f1.2 lenses and comparing them to other stuff...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/12/20/quick-shot-comparison-olympus-45-f-1-2-vs-canon-85-f-1-4l/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/12/19/more-images-with-the-new-olympus-17-and-45-f-1-2-lenses/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/...olympus-25-f-1-2-vs-sony-50-1-4-just-for-fun/

And in a magazine maybe it doesn't.

As I mentioned in another thread, we just got our wedding album done on line by Jessops and everything looks lovely with shots from phones, compacts, CSC's and FF and no one has pointed at any picture and moaned about quality :D

Anyway, I actually popped into this thread just incase you chaps haven't spotted Steve Huff enthusing about the Oly f1.2 lenses and comparing them to other stuff...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/12/20/quick-shot-comparison-olympus-45-f-1-2-vs-canon-85-f-1-4l/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/12/19/more-images-with-the-new-olympus-17-and-45-f-1-2-lenses/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/...olympus-25-f-1-2-vs-sony-50-1-4-just-for-fun/

they'd have to be very honest friends and family to turn around to newly weds and tell them that their wedding photos suck

Here is one I took for a friend following an impromptu beach walk just before Christmas day. Taken with a OMD EM5 MK 1 with a Leica DG Summilux - 25mm - F/1.4.
I still like using this camera now and again as it is so much fun to use. Gave up on my heavy Nikon (and before that Canon) gear a long time ago as it was just rinsing all the fun out of casual photography.

PC030089_PersiaAndCam_V2_TP.jpg

Lovely shot, Mark (y)

Here is one I took for a friend following an impromptu beach walk just before Christmas day. Taken with a OMD EM5 MK 1 with a Leica DG Summilux - 25mm - F/1.4.
I still like using this camera now and again as it is so much fun to use. Gave up on my heavy Nikon (and before that Canon) gear a long time ago as it was just rinsing all the fun out of casual photography.

View attachment 117213

Love the colour tones here.

View attachment 117213
Lovely picture Mark. The little ones seem to be having lots of fun.

I think it might be time for me to leave the m43 stable altogether. When I bought the d500, I kept my e-m1 and bought a panny 12-32 for travel, in case I didn't gel with the Nikon and because my 10 year old didn't have a camera. Now that Santa has been very generous, the e-m1 is just sitting in a cupboard and realistically won't see light of day as I have a rx100 mk2 as well.

I must say that m43 been amazing for me - I've really enjoyed the whole thing and had some great lenses in the last 2 or 3 years but it's time to move on..

Yeah the D500 is a really nice camera and you will get the better clarity of picture with its APS-C sensor as opposed to the Micro 3/4s. My main reason for sticking with 4/3 is the portability but cameras (including DSLR) are getting more portable and lighter by the year.

I think.. I'm going to stay away from DSLR for the time being and head down the mirrorless route as that is where the tech is going eventually and with the new Sony A7R III the lines are becoming increasingly blurred (no pun intended) between top end DSLR and mirrorless.

You're right - if the e-m1.2 had better focussing than was hyped, I'd have stayed. I'm not saying it's bad but it's not where the d500 is. The 1.2 is a huge improvement over the mk1, great battery life now, much better high ISO but when I put them back to back I decided that I'd compromise on the size to get what I personally wanted.

Yeah the D500 is a really nice camera and you will get the better clarity of picture with its APS-C sensor as opposed to the Micro 3/4s. My main reason for sticking with 4/3 is the portability but cameras (including DSLR) are getting more portable and lighter by the year.

I think.. I'm going to stay away from DSLR for the time being and head down the mirrorless route as that is where the tech is going eventually and with the new Sony A7R III the lines are becoming increasingly blurred (no pun intended) between top end DSLR and mirrorless.

Things that IMO help MFT to compete with APS-C are that there isn't (IMO) as great a difference between APS-C and MFT image quality as some would like to believe and any gap there is begins to close a little with the use of some of the really good MFT lenses which tend to be good from wide open whereas APS-C lenses can be fewer as the manufacturers arguably still haven't filled out their APS-C lens line ups and what lenses that do exist or the FF lenses you have to choose because APS-C lenses don't exist may not be as good as their MFT counterparts at wide apertures. Using MFT at wider apertures and still getting sharp results and keeping the ISO down can help to claw back any ground lost to the slightly larger APS-C sensor.

IMO :D

Things that IMO help MFT to compete with APS-C are that there isn't (IMO) as great a difference between APS-C and MFT image quality as some would like to believe and any gap there is begins to close a little with the use of some of the really good MFT lenses which tend to be good from wide open whereas APS-C lenses can be fewer as the manufacturers arguably still haven't filled out their APS-C lens line ups and what lenses that do exist or the FF lenses you have to choose because APS-C lenses don't exist may not be as good as their MFT counterparts at wide apertures. Using MFT at wider apertures and still getting sharp results and keeping the ISO down can help to claw back any ground lost to the slightly larger APS-C sensor.

IMO :D

Oh I know what you are saying and I agree, one aspect of APS-C over MFT though is that just tends to be better "clarity" - not sure if I'm using the right word. "Depth of detail" might be a better expression - I can still nail shots with the Oly but have noticed this difference but it's not enough of an issue to perceive as a compromise as like you say the differences are negligible.

I've not owned an APS-C camera since my Canon 20D so my comparisons have been with Fuji and Sony APS-C files I've downloaded off the internet and Sony APS-C files I've got from family members who have them but I've not seen that much difference between what I've downloaded or grabbed off family and what I can get from my MFT cameras, in my case Panny GX7 and GX85, not enough to make me want to ditch MFT and buy into an APS-C system. Even if there was bigger image quality gap MFT still has some nice things to take into consideration such as the nice lenses, compact form and nice handing.

I've done lots of comparisons between the various things I've had including MFT v my Sony A7 and there's a gap there... but it's much less of a gap at low to even high (rather than stratospheric) ISO's if I can stop the excessive pixel peeping. When viewing whole pictures normally even in quite large print being honest I think there's not a great deal in it.

YMMV etc :D

Last edited:
Once you crop APS-C to closer to 4:3 proportions, which I find more suitable for most cases, there is only a small % difference in sensor size.
3:2 is an odd legacy ratio. Great for some wide panoramic shots. But it's limited and asking to be cropped. I'll crop a 4:3 sensor shot too. But generally by a lesser amount.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I do prefer 4:3 to 3:2 for portrait orientation pictures.

Taken a few days ago in thoroughly dark and miserable weather. Couldn't be bothered to use a tripod as the rain was lashing down and the other half was getting annoyed while I fiddled on with the camera. Even on days like this it's impressive how much range the omd m5 is capable of in dull grey weather. Took with oly 12-24mm f2.8.

View attachment 117359

After just coming from APSC [Fuji] and directly comparing it to M43 [em5] before selling the Fuji gear on, I can safely say there is bog all difference in terms of clarity or sharpness between APSC and M43, you only really see a difference at higher ISO. And with M43's amazing IBIS, and the lesser need to stop down lenses, the differences becomes smaller again. I would say to anyone with any doubt, move on .... it is that simple to switch formats, it shouldn't be something you dwell on for ages.

After just coming from APSC [Fuji] and directly comparing it to M43 [em5] before selling the Fuji gear on, I can safely say there is bog all difference in terms of clarity or sharpness between APSC and M43, you only really see a difference at higher ISO. And with M43's amazing IBIS, and the lesser need to stop down lenses, the differences becomes smaller again. I would say to anyone with any doubt, move on .... it is that simple to switch formats, it shouldn't be something you dwell on for ages.

Exactly what one could state when comparing a 2/3 sensor

Exactly what one could state when comparing a 2/3 sensor

I've been moving between formats for a long time, depending on my needs at any one point in time. I shot FX Nikon for 5 years, and a lot of the time, when I wasn't doing paid work, I felt it was over the top for my needs. I've shot APSC for over 10 years besides, and was wary of M43, but it has advantages I wasn't getting with APSC. My photography has never changed whatever the format, I just adapted to the differences. But any of those times I made a switch, I just .... did it! I didn't need to ponder for long, once I get an idea, I know I'm going to go with it so I just choose to save stressing over it. One thing that made the switch easier for me was checking the stats of my images over the past few years. I rarely go above ISO 1600, I tend to stick between f/2.8 - f/8 only going above for macro work, I seem to prefer slower shutter speeds, which is why the M43 IBIS systems were so attractive, and I'm forever on a tight budget - M43 lenses offer better bang for buck in general. Anyone pondering on changing whichever direction, just needs to ask themselves 'what is it I 'need'? what is my shooting style? and what is my budget for the future?

Physics will tell you that that's not true all things considered equal. Whether an individual can perceive that difference is a different matter (y). Can I see the difference? Yes I can. Is it enough to choose APS over m4/3 or to worry about? No, not imo.

Taken a few days ago in thoroughly dark and miserable weather. Couldn't be bothered to use a tripod as the rain was lashing down and the other half was getting annoyed while I fiddled on with the camera. Even on days like this it's impressive how much range the omd m5 is capable of in dull grey weather. Took with oly 12-24mm f2.8.

View attachment 117359

12-40 f/2.8 perhaps? :)

Physics will tell you that that's not true all things considered equal. Whether an individual can perceive that difference is a different matter (y). Can I see the difference? Yes I can. Is it enough to choose APS over m4/3 or to worry about? No, not imo.

I don't know why I used 'Bog all' when I would say 'f*** all' in reality. And it means very little. End result, PP, I see f*** all difference. I never shoot Jpeg, if I did I might notice more if I pressed my face to the monitor and examined the images at 200%, but I'm not anal enough for that.

[edit] Weird!! they censored a non-swear?? In case anyone is wondering I didn't use the strong F word, rather the irish one that rhymes with deck ... it is not an actual swear. Might be thought of as a mild swear word outside of Ireland, but it is not a sub for the other F word. If it was Father Ted would have been massively censored :D It's pretty much the Irish equiv of 'bugger'

Last edited:
I've been fighting some GAS recently, as I fancied trading in my EM5ii for a Pen F. It has made me play with my Em5ii a little more and I have discovered a few things...

I usually shoot in Manual, but lately I've been enjoying making my photos into black and white. I'd also prefer the portability of the Pen F, the Custom settings on the mode dial and the ability to have exposure compensation on auto ISO whilst in M mode - for the odd occasion. I believe it also starts up faster which would be good.

I've discovered that on the EM5ii, you can use the Art filters and still use the camera in Manual - you just have to choose the filter via the Super Menu and not the mode dial. Not sure if everyone else was already aware of this? It switches from RAW to Jpeg +RAW automatically (Usually I'm on Natural mode). It stays on RAW if you use Monochrome of course.

Now I just have to get to grips with the Mysets, and my GAS will be on it's way out ;)

I think it might be time for me to leave the m43 stable altogether. When I bought the d500, I kept my e-m1 and bought a panny 12-32 for travel, in case I didn't gel with the Nikon and because my 10 year old didn't have a camera. Now that Santa has been very generous, the e-m1 is just sitting in a cupboard and realistically won't see light of day as I have a rx100 mk2 as well.

I must say that m43 been amazing for me - I've really enjoyed the whole thing and had some great lenses in the last 2 or 3 years but it's time to move on..

That's a shame, I've enjoyed your posts and photos in this thread - good luck, and hopefully we'll see you back here at some point!

I've not picked up my 40D really since I got my EM5ii, though I did want to once but could not find the battery charger....My only gripe with it remains the Continuous focus - with my 2 young children I definitely miss more than I did with my much older 40D. Whilst I could no doubt improve my technique, on a like for like basis with me as the only variable, there is a clear difference. That said, I would not have a lot of the images I now have as the 40D stopped coming out with me most days.

On a completely anecdotal note my gut feel is my favourite combination remains my 40D and 85 1.8 but that is completely unscientific. I really need to find that battery charger! If I could only have one system though it would be 4/3rds as it is what #i use most and what has got me enjoying photography again.

Very nice Alf. How are you finding the lens the Lens then? What size filters are you going to be using it with?

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon
I am using Formatt Hitech 85 mm and Cokin Nuances P size filters. The lens is nice but I would have liked a focus scale on the focus ring thogh a focus scale in the viewfinder would be nice in the oly.
The zoom ring turns the wrong way (well opposite to zuiko lenses). I am happy to compromise a constat f2.8 aperture to beable to fi filters again he same for the extra 1mm wider of the 7-14mm f2.8.
I was not expecting to sell the 9-18mm but I may well sell it.

Last edited:
Back