Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Doh!!!!! I was so concentrating on 'the wish' that I forgot such a fundamental.........not menu but top left control button. :coat:

Having said that, I am not convinced re best camera handling to have to change the AF mode left-handed with camera at ones eye? To do that means taking your hand off of the lens..........this means you lose "control" of the camera ~ what I am trying get is being able quickly/smoothly change AF mode whilst I am looking at the subject & that means good hold and control.
I go in to the super control panel and select it there without taking my eye from viewfinder. Usually the selection is already ‘parked’ over that option. Or is that too many clicks?
Using BBF means I don’t very often change it though.

I go in to the super control panel and select it there without taking my eye from viewfinder. Usually the selection is already ‘parked’ over that option. Or is that too many clicks?
Using BBF means I don’t very often change it though.

Looking at your avatar, you are right eye dominant that would mean the SCP is accessible compared to left eye users ;). It is great with more technology we can adapt the functionality and in the case of the E-M1 MK2 that range of customisation potentially means in a group of say a dozen users none would have the identical setup ~ ain't computers wonderful :D

Your not happy culling them at the Lightroom import module, you can view them at 100% there before deciding to import.

I tend to cull some on the camera itself, and then the rest I do in Lightroom. I import, go through them and click 'x' on the ones I don't want to keep to mark them as rejected then once I've gone through them all I can go to photo in the menu > delete rejected > delete from disk ( or you can delete from library but still keep them on the computer if you wish).

For all the time I have used LR I had not even considered/realised that with the import window open I could see the "fill screen" view. Having said that if anything like the time taken to load raw files during import it would take a while!!!

I have heard of Faststone and the others but will need to have gander at their functions becuase as mentioned I do not want or need a full blown PP program of which I thought Raw Therapee and Dark Table were?

I already chimp & delete but using Pro Capture even restricting the frame limit to a total of 15 that is more culling than I have been used to plus I like you cull and score in LR but if I could eliminate the worst frames first? ;) Hence if the likes of Faststone can open and allow rapid viewing of the raw files for that first cut cull I think that would be a time saver???

Yes RT and DT have PP but it might not be a disadvantage, even if you don't need to use it.
And yes, try them all out. It's not much effort and you can find something that really suits you. Not someone else. I did that, and settled on Digikam for sorting and Raw Therapee. Which seemed to like my raw files.

Faststone is like explorer for pictures only

I use Faststone to do my initial RAW cull after transferring to the PC. It's quick and painless really and ditches some of the bulk that will no doubt slow LR to a crawl

An update
Seeing that Faststone have a portable version.......this is very much to my taste as in a small footprint & self contained, I have downloaded that version.

Thoughts:-
Initial scan of a folder with raw files does take a (shortish?) while but once into the viewer the ability to examine them quickly at a magnified level to examine the sharpness and general 'look' of the primary subject is speedy.

So will try for a while but IMO does look promising and a keeper because as @Cagey75 says 'quick & painless' for that initial culling and that first step and speed at which it can be done is very important :)

Anyone that has a om10 mkii , check your firmware and update to v1.3 did mine the other day ,and it’s a totally different beast .no idea what it’s done but it was like a supercharged camera today .pics will follow later

Anyone that has a om10 mkii , check your firmware and update to v1.3 did mine the other day ,and it’s a totally different beast .no idea what it’s done but it was like a supercharged camera today .pics will follow later

As far as i know 1.3 over 1.2 just adds the ability for the camera to recognize IS in Olympus lenses, i never bothered as i don't have any IS lenses.

These all with the 100-400 Jeff?

I'm interested in the 9-18, I just don't think 12mm on MFT's is always gonna be wide enough and the other options are beyond my means. What did you think of th IQ.

I recently acquired the 9-18mm and I have to say the few shots I have taken have really impressed me I do like ultra wide lenses and I didn’t think the 12mm f2 would be wide enough to meet my needs.and I didn’t feel the need to go for the 7mm zoom with the f2.8.plus if required I can fit filters easily on the 9-18mm along with the 9mm fisheye bodycap style lens I now feel I’m covered :)

Last edited:
I recently acquired the 9-18mm and I have to say the few shots I have taken have really impressed me I do like ultra wide lenses and I didn’t think the 12mm f2 would be wide enough to meet my needs.and I didn’t feel the need to go for the 7mm zoom with the f2.8.plus if required I can fit filters easily on the 9-18mm along with the 9mm fisheye bodycap style lens I now feel I’m covered :)

I Bought one on Monday, financed by a Fuji lens I sold :)
Not really had a chance to use it in anger yet, but first impressions are good, thought about the Panasonic 7-14, but this will be fine.

Why are Olympus so mean though, for heavens sake include a hood please even if the lens costs a tenner more.
I bought a third party one on Ebay for six quid, arrived yesterday and is more than adequate.

Has anyone heard anything regarding a M5 MkIII launch? Or is it all just speculation right now? It is more than due isnt it?

I Bought one on Monday, financed by a Fuji lens I sold :)
Not really had a chance to use it in anger yet, but first impressions are good, thought about the Panasonic 7-14, but this will be fine.

Why are Olympus so mean though, for heavens sake include a hood please even if the lens costs a tenner more.
I bought a third party one on Ebay for six quid, arrived yesterday and is more than adequate.
I I think every lens from any company should come with a lens hood I use them all the time and see them as a essential lens accessory even more than a filter !
I got my Oly 9-18mm used and it came with a third party rectangular lens hood from JJC LH-J55B

Decided to give the filters I bought from here a run out today. Went to Hornsea to try some long exposure of the sea and groynes. I was careful with the sand and though it was a little windy I can't say I was worried. After the long exposure shots packed away the filters and just walked around with the camera snapping away. It's then I noticed 3-4 small flecks in the viewfinder at first I thought it was flare but it wasn't v there not visible on the LCD or in any images and you can see them when I chimp I using the viewfinder. Is it sand and if so how did it get in there in a supposedly weather proof body? And if it is sand is there anything I can do other than sending it off to have it cleaned.

Decided to give the filters I bought from here a run out today. Went to Hornsea to try some long exposure of the sea and groynes. I was careful with the sand and though it was a little windy I can't say I was worried. After the long exposure shots packed away the filters and just walked around with the camera snapping away. It's then I noticed 3-4 small flecks in the viewfinder at first I thought it was flare but it wasn't v there not visible on the LCD or in any images and you can see them when I chimp I using the viewfinder. Is it sand and if so how did it get in there in a supposedly weather proof body? And if it is sand is there anything I can do other than sending it off to have it cleaned.
Are you sure they're in the viewfinder? Take the runner eyepiece off and give the glass of the viewfinder a good clean. Which body is it you have again?

Are you sure they're in the viewfinder? Take the runner eyepiece off and give the glass of the viewfinder a good clean. Which body is it you have again?
EM5 MKII.I can't see where else they can be but the viewfinder. I took off the eyepiece and gave the glass a good clean but its not helped. It doesn't show in the images or on the LCD. If I leave the lens cap on and look through the VF I can see around 5-6 greenish specks three are very clear and can be seen when using the viewfinder as normal. They've definitely just happened today, no way I could have missed them.

Last edited:
EM5 MKII.I can't see where else they can be but the viewfinder. I took off the eyepiece and gave the glass a good clean but its not helped. It doesn't show in the images or on the LCD. If I leave the lens cap on and look through the VF I can see around 5-6 purple specks three are very clear and can be seen when using the viewfinder as normal. They've definitely just happened today, no way I could have missed them.
Because you say they are not visible in the images or in Liveview on the rear main LCD.

Therefore as the viewfinder is an EVF and you can see coloured specks/spots with the lens cap on (visible against a black background?) makes me wonder if these are hot or dead pixels in the EVF screen???

Last edited:
OK having googled this it seems the problem may be more than a few specks of dust or sand. It seems that the viewfinders in the EM5 MKII and some of the other cameras and separate viewfinders such as the VF4 are possibly vulnerable to damage from the sun if the diopter setting is high. Although there are some who claim their cameras have not been exposed to the sun and they still have the problem. Do you think I could return this? When I thought it was sand I was happy to sort the repair myself but the is something different,

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1411661

Last edited:
Because you say they are not visible in the images or in Liveview on the rear main LCD.

Therefore as the viewfinder is an EVF and you can see coloured specks/spots with the lens cap on (visible against a black background?) makes me wonder if these are hot or dead pixels in the EVF screen???
Apparently it could be solar burn!

Those reports of EVF burning also mentioned it happens to other models with specific notes re dioptre adjustment setting.

I wear glasses but do tweak the dioptre adjuster..........pretty sure it is not too far off the 'central' point.

How old is your EM5 MK2?

Oh, lots of mentions of repair by replacement under warranty :)

Those reports of EVF burning also mentioned it happens to other models with specific notes re dioptre adjustment setting.

I wear glasses but do tweak the dioptre adjuster..........pretty sure it is not too far off the 'central' point.

How old is your EM5 MK2?

Oh, lots of mentions of repair by replacement under warranty :)
Bought 2nd hand from camera jungle less than two weeks ago so considering sending it back. Excuse the rubbish image but as you can see its very noticeable.

IMG_0254.jpg

Last edited:
Another duplicate post

Last edited:
OK having googled this it seems the problem may be more than a few specks of dust or sand. It seems that the viewfinders in the EM5 MKII and some of the other cameras and separate viewfinders such as the VF4 are possibly vulnerable to damage from the sun if the diopter setting is high. Although there are some who claim their cameras have not been exposed to the sun and they still have the problem. Do you think I could return this? When I thought it was sand I was happy to sort the repair myself but the is something different,

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1411661
Hmm not good, I assume that the camera doesn't have to be turned on for this to happen?

Hmm not good, I assume that the camera doesn't have to be turned on for this to happen?
I'd not thought of that, but I'm guessing no, it doesn't need to be turned on. Someone stated that it is more likely to happen if using a tripod, which I was today. Wonder if Camera jungle will give me hassle over the issue, I'm betting Olympus won't help

I'd not thought of that, but I'm guessing no, it doesn't need to be turned on. Someone stated that it is more likely to happen if using a tripod, which I was today. Wonder if Camera jungle will give me hassle over the issue, I'm betting Olympus won't help
I’d give them both a try, if it’s a known issue I’d have hoped Olympus would help. It’s not like a normal warranty issue and so shouldn’t be time limited. If they try and say it’s user error I would counter argue that it should then come with a warning, or even that it’s not fit for purpose. If you can’t use a camera in the sunshine then god help us :eek:

Does there have to be certain conditions for this to occur? I’ve used my EM1 in sunlight, on a tripod, and also carry it around on a sling strap where I have little knowledge of whether the sun is hitting the VF or not.

Last edited:
I’d give them both a try, if it’s a known issue I’d have hoped Olympus would help. It’s not like a normal warranty issue and so shouldn’t be time limited. If they try and say it’s user error I would counter argue that it should then come with a warning, or even that it’s not fit for purpose. If you can’t use a camera in the sunshine then god help us :eek:

Does there have to be certain conditions for this to occur? I’ve used my EM1 in sunlight, on a tripod, and also carry it around on a sling strap where I have little knowledge of whether the sun is hitting the VF or not.
Thanks. I've contacted them both, obviously its out of hours so I see if I get any response tomorrow. The camera is still within the 14 day return period, just! Its seems as though it's more susceptible if you have a high + diopter setting, which I do. It certainly seems a fault, but the strangest thing is, this is my third EM5 MKII and I've not had the problem before, but there are a few on the web who have, and now I'm one of them.

Steve @jakeblu

Was it Olympus HQ website or the UK service centre in Southend you emailed? Whichever one I hope you get satisfaction.

Steve @jakeblu

Was it Olympus HQ website or the UK service centre in Southend you emailed? Whichever one I hope you get satisfaction.
Olympus HQ website, I didn't even know about the service center. Might be worth dropping them an email tomorrow.

If it's a known issue them Olympus have helped me out on 2 occasions where I bought second hand, my camera and lens were out of warranty, but they still fixed it for free.

They will not commit to this upfront though: you have to send off your camera to Olympus support, they will look at it and if they decide to fix it for free you are likely not to hear anything until you get the repaired camera back. If they deem it to be a repair for which you have to pay they will advise you of the cost and you can elect to have the camera returned unrepaired.

In my experience Olympus support are very helpful and very lenient w.r.t. out of warranty repairs. Don't know if that is because I have lots of gear registered with them but I've been pretty impressed by their service.

In this case I would return it for a refund and/ or a replacement . It might have been sold to them because of this problem

Finally got round to uploading some photos from this weekend, at a wet race track in Scotland.

Not holding these up as examples of great, or even vaguely good, photos, just attempting to show the conditions and that the Olympus EM1.2 coped perfectly with them. Indeed the "official" 'togs there all had their cameras in rain covers, whereas I let the Olly get as wet as I was.

Update regarding the problem with my VF. Olympus have already responded to my email from last night. Confirmed that the problem occurs when sunlight directly enters the viewfinder and the diopter setting is in a + position. Asked me to send it in for repair, if its inside the 2 year warranty it will be free of charge if not they will repair for a fee. Seems a serious flaw in their system, if light directly entering the viewfinder can cause this problem. Does anyone know if the guarantee on Olympus bodies is transferable?

So far Camera Jungle have not replied to my email.

Back