Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

do you really need to spend thousands on a set up , for instance just took this camera olympus omd10-mkii cost me in the summer cash back £235 brand new with full warranty coupled to a manual focus vivitar 200mm f3.5 auto iso , shutter priority , 1/1000th sec , f8 with a stop pos exp comp dialled in hand held . the lens cost me £24 off e.bay last week . apart from a tiny amount of c.a theres very little difference to a a/f lens performance .makes you think ?

thats blown our cover away by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Not at all Jeff nice shot and if I went for the same field of view with my 1dxmkII and 600f4 mkII it might be a tad sharper but it would be hard to tell, generally those thousands help on shots like this.
Rob.

AX6K7007 A.jpg

Not at all Jeff nice shot and if I went for the same field of view with my 1dxmkII and 600f4 mkII it might be a tad sharper but it would be hard to tell, generally those thousands help on shots like this.
Rob.

View attachment 136679
Yep just a bit over 10 grands worth of price difference rob :banana::banana::banana:

I was going shooting tonight. But public transport had other ideas. Ah well, gear staying in the bag, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Conditions were looking oh so ideal today as well.

Nevermind.

I wasn't so lucky with the weather and light today at the Hawk Conservancy. I decided to only take my EM1ii and tried a few of the different focussing options - tracking, pro capture, C-Af. Lots of blurry shots!

This is quite a large crop - although only 62mm of the potential 150mm I could have used... and 6400 ISO :eek: All very challenging. Some noise reduction applied.

181016161500-BC167909.jpg

I was impressed it stayed focussed on this one - must check what settings I used. Shame abut the person in the background!
181016155144-BC167824.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't so lucky with the weather and light today at the Hawk Conservancy. I decided to only take my EM1ii and tried a few of the different focussing options - tracking, pro capture, C-Af. Lots of blurry shots!

This is quite a large crop - although only 62mm of the potential 150mm I could have used... and 6400 ISO :eek: All very challenging. Some noise reduction applied.

View attachment 136725

I was impressed it stayed focussed on this one - must check what settings I used. Shame abut the person in the background!
View attachment 136726
Pretty impressive stuff.

So folks... I have had more loan form drop into my inbox......... I will be loaning a Olympus OMD EM-1 Mark II, 2 batteries and some lenses...... any recommendations on lenses? :D

So folks... I have had more loan form drop into my inbox......... I will be loaning a Olympus OMD EM-1 Mark II, 2 batteries and some lenses...... any recommendations on lenses? :D
To shoot what? The 12-40 PRO and 40-150 PRO would cover a lot of ground. If you're shooting anything fast moving then check for Pro capture support.

To shoot what? The 12-40 PRO and 40-150 PRO would cover a lot of ground. If you're shooting anything fast moving then check for Pro capture support.
Requested the 12-40, 25mm f1.2, 45mm f1.2 and 75mm f1.8 PRO lenses :D :eek:

I would add the 40-150 f/2.8 with 1.4 TC to that list - it's a real workhorse lens for me and the IQ is superb - best zoom lens I've ever owned I reckon.

Ditto, I have that combination and it's hardly off my camera, the 12-40 sits the bag most of the time now. With the TC it's 420mm effective reach, and it's super sharp and fast at all focal lengths, with and without the TC.

It really depends on what you are photographing but all the pro lenses are as good as you can get .
Rob.

I’m running the 12-100 and the the 40-150 + t/c, one on the Pen-F the other on the EM-1 mkII. Carry the 30mm Marco in a pocket. Sorted.

I’m running the 12-100 and the the 40-150 + t/c, one on the Pen-F the other on the EM-1 mkII. Carry the 30mm Marco in a pocket. Sorted.
Do you not feel that there is too much overlap between the 12-100 and the 40-150?

After public transport stopping my plans yesterday, I was determined to get to the beach by any means necessary and shoot tonight. Managed to get down there in good time! Got a variety of shots I'll be publishing over the week but there was a moment, right as the sun was hitting the horizon the clouds began to break and gave way to this truly spectacular light. I nearly forgot to take the shot, it genuinely stunned me! I was also practicing with my new reverse ND filter, which takes some getting used to!

Hope you enjoy the shot. I'll remember the moment this was captured for a very long time :)

JLE71193.jpg

And just after this was taken it began to belt it down, so I had to make my way home! :)

Last edited:
Hi Paul, I’m okay with a little overlap. I had the 12-40 but couldn’t justify keeping that and having the 12-100 as well, besides I got a cracking trade in price which meant I only ended up paying £420 for a new 12-100mm. I was finding at times I needed just that little extra and this now means this will be a true walk around lens.

Nice set of images Jake.. like 2 & 3 the most.

The pumpkin spider is fab, love to see one around here.

That's an Orb-weaver, you should be able to find them in pretty much any garden, check the outskirts of hedges and bushes, they're not shy about exposing themselves - we get loads of them here, they can be teensy, or pretty big - over an inch long. Chances are, if you spot a pretty big web across the front of a garden hedge, it'll be a weaver

That's an Orb-weaver, you should be able to find them in pretty much any garden, check the outskirts of hedges and bushes, they're not shy about exposing themselves - we get loads of them here, they can be teensy, or pretty big - over an inch long. Chances are, if you spot a pretty big web across the front of a garden hedge, it'll be a weaver
Glad to see you back (y)

I emailed them and got a fairly prompt response asking me to send it in with the form they sent in their reply. Will not be able act on it until next week. But one thing unclear is will I get the return postage paid???

But as per you guys above I will get cheaper alternatives for routine usage.

I had the same thing with mine- the springs basically were coming out - I was able to put it back together and it seems ok now but definitely a weak link.

Well, I have a parcel on its way back from thier Portuguese facility....will it a repair or a new one? Will it have a docket detailing what "it" is (repair or new). Due via DHL on monday :)

Any of you good people used the Olympus 14-150 ii lens?

I don't have an m4/3 camera at present though I've dipped in and out of the system in the past. I seem to be on a perpetual search for the ideal solution for hill walking and backpacking where I want decent quality images but as portable as possible. Ideally a nice focal length range but changing lenses is a pain. At present I have a full frame Nikon with various big lenses and an X100T. They both have their uses and are going nowhere but not ideal for this scenario. The last time I went away, I carried 4.5kg of camera and lens along with all the other stuff I needed for a couple of nights in the wild. It was way, way too much and frustratingly it pee'd it down the whole time anyway so it barely saw the light of day! Should have taken the Fuji in hindsight.

I'm pondering whether an E-M5ii with a 14-150 might be a nice solution at about 750g. I've had the E-M5ii before and like them a lot and importantly it's weather sealed so I don't need to be too paranoid about it in changeable conditions. I appreciate that a superzoom is always a compromise but reading reviews, it seems to do okay in most regards. Anybody have any real life experience to throw in?

I had that lens for a while , I sold it on to fund a 100-300 which is a better lens for our needs . Good lens though as usual fast ,accurate focus

I had that lens for a while , I sold it on to fund a 100-300 which is a better lens for our needs . Good lens though as usual fast ,accurate focus

Cheers, good to hear. Most of my stuff will be at the wider end but it's nice to have useful tele available especially if some wildlife turns up. Usual scenario is that by the time I've taken my bag off, got a tele lens out and put it on the camera, any animal is long gone! So nice for the those opportunistic grab shots.

Any of you good people used the Olympus 14-150 ii lens?

I don't have an m4/3 camera at present though I've dipped in and out of the system in the past. I seem to be on a perpetual search for the ideal solution for hill walking and backpacking where I want decent quality images but as portable as possible. Ideally a nice focal length range but changing lenses is a pain. At present I have a full frame Nikon with various big lenses and an X100T. They both have their uses and are going nowhere but not ideal for this scenario. The last time I went away, I carried 4.5kg of camera and lens along with all the other stuff I needed for a couple of nights in the wild. It was way, way too much and frustratingly it pee'd it down the whole time anyway so it barely saw the light of day! Should have taken the Fuji in hindsight.

I'm pondering whether an E-M5ii with a 14-150 might be a nice solution at about 750g. I've had the E-M5ii before and like them a lot and importantly it's weather sealed so I don't need to be too paranoid about it in changeable conditions. I appreciate that a superzoom is always a compromise but reading reviews, it seems to do okay in most regards. Anybody have any real life experience to throw in?

I have that lens and it's really rather good, I use it on my EM5ii as a travel solution (with a fast prime) and rarely think I need anything else, weather sealed too, for peace of mind. Even when I was using full frame kit a superzoom and prime was my travel kit of choice, so I am a fan of them.

In terms of sharpness, I'm not really a pixel peeper any more but it looks good to me even at 100%, not up to the pro lenses but easily in the good enough category. Useful close focus too.

All these shots were with the combo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157691219449502

And this album is a good example of where a superzoom excels, wide to tele in a small discrete package: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157701220796045

I have that lens and it's really rather good, I use it on my EM5ii as a travel solution (with a fast prime) and rarely think I need anything else, weather sealed too, for peace of mind. Even when I was using full frame kit a superzoom and prime was my travel kit of choice, so I am a fan of them.

In terms of sharpness, I'm not really a pixel peeper any more but it looks good to me even at 100%, not up to the pro lenses but easily in the good enough category. Useful close focus too.

All these shots were with the combo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157691219449502

And this album is a good example of where a superzoom excels, wide to tele in a small discrete package: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157701220796045

Thanks Ned. Some great examples there. The weather proofing is a big plus of the mk2 version I must admit.

I could buy something like a 28-300 for my Nikon but it still ends up quite a big combo and would cost not far off what an EM5ii and 14-150 would set me back. Closest I've had in the past to a solution was my X-T2 but I didn't buy an 18-135 lens for it as it was bloody expensive and still not that small.

For travel, playing off IQ against weight is always the game isn't it so I know I'll lose out in some way in terms of IQ but way better than a phone and I like the idea of the flexibility of such a big zoom and IBIS so as little faffing about as possible. This is particularly important if I'm away with a group who don't want to be waiting around for me messing around with gear. Seems a decent option but I'll probably wait a little while before taking the plunge.

Thanks Ned. Some great examples there. The weather proofing is a big plus of the mk2 version I must admit.

I could buy something like a 28-300 for my Nikon but it still ends up quite a big combo and would cost not far off what an EM5ii and 14-150 would set me back. Closest I've had in the past to a solution was my X-T2 but I didn't buy an 18-135 lens for it as it was bloody expensive and still not that small.

For travel, playing off IQ against weight is always the game isn't it so I know I'll lose out in some way in terms of IQ but way better than a phone and I like the idea of the flexibility of such a big zoom and IBIS so as little faffing about as possible. This is particularly important if I'm away with a group who don't want to be waiting around for me messing around with gear. Seems a decent option but I'll probably wait a little while before taking the plunge.

I had the 28-300 on my D610 and it was plenty sharp enough, nice lens actually. I'd spent ages reading conflicting reports about it being either the best superzoom ever or too much of a compromise, in the end I just bought one to find out for myself and wasn't disappointed. I took it around Vietnam, got some lovely shots and thought I was travelling light :D

That said, it all ended up getting sold when I got an EM10 (which sadly got smashed in New York) as a 'travel' camera and after a year of m43 ownership I hadn't picked up my Nikon kit at all. Haven't looked back really, now I see people lumping huge heavy camera gear around and chuckle to myself, I've been at this game long enough to know my needs and know that for nearly every situation m43 is more than enough and in many instances is better as I can carry so much reach (800mm FFE) in a light sling bag to places you could never take a FF 600mm.

Hi everyone! I have noticed that I have weird fluorescent squiggles when i look through my viewfinder ( which I hardly ever use so haven't noticed when this happened). There are no issues with the lenses or the sensor apparently as the images when shot are perfect. Therefore I am assuming that there is some dirt in the viewfinder. Does anyone know what this might be and if I am able to clean it myself ( without damaging my camera)?

Also I really enjoyed taking some photos of surfers in action over the weekend but noticed that my 40-150 mm lens doesn't stretch far enough - any advice on the next telephoto zoom lens to buy that would get that next range 150-300 mm or similar (preferably not massively expensive as i'm still very much a beginner)?

Also I really enjoyed taking some photos of surfers in action over the weekend but noticed that my 40-150 mm lens doesn't stretch far enough - any advice on the next telephoto zoom lens to buy that would get that next range 150-300 mm or similar (preferably not massively expensive as i'm still very much a beginner)?

Best option is the Panasonic 100-400, however this is relatively expensive and relatively heavy.

Next best option is the Olympus 75-300 MkII or the Panasonic 100-300 MkII.

Hi everyone! I have noticed that I have weird fluorescent squiggles when i look through my viewfinder ( which I hardly ever use so haven't noticed when this happened). There are no issues with the lenses or the sensor apparently as the images when shot are perfect. Therefore I am assuming that there is some dirt in the viewfinder. Does anyone know what this might be and if I am able to clean it myself ( without damaging my camera)?

Have you been out in bright sun? There have been reports of the sun 'burning' the viewfinder so it could be that, in which case it would need to go back to Olympus unfortunately. Does it look like this?
http://camera-sense.com/olympus-e-m1-evf-damage.html

I'm not aware of a way to clean inside the viewfinder itself, but you can take the rubber eyecup off to clean the outside glass.

Back