Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Rookies sold his E-M5 because its C-AF wasn't as good as his huge Canon with the lenses he used.

The C-AF of E-M1, E-M10 etc etc is still not the same as the Canon,
yet S-AF is still as good as it always was.
The newer 17mmF1.8 and 25mmF1.8 lenses will improve hit rates indoors in dim light, but those aren't in the kit deals.

Rookies sold his E-M5 because its C-AF wasn't as good as his huge Canon with the lenses he used.

The newer 17mmF1.8 and 25mmF1.8 lenses will improve hit rates indoors in dim light, but those aren't in the kit deals.
You still got your OMD??

Okay - as has been said the E-M10 etc have to rely on a smartphone app for GPS, personally I don't use it anyway so haven't looked into it much and on the point and shoot I have that does I turned it off as I really don't want pics of my kids taken at home associated with an address for someone to use as they see fit as I keep all EXIF data for others to use to help them understand what I did.

Anyway that aside I said earlier that CAF isn't very good, it isn't for single shots (passable for movies though) but and it is a big but - Single Autofocus is excellent.
I've not owned a M5, but do have both the E-M10 and the E-M1 and frankly theres little if anything in it.

ISO is subjective personally I hated the noise on the 7D and sold it because of it and noise was not an issue at all on the 5D3, but the noise on the O-MDs to me feel more like grain than noise if that makes sense and I can live with that.

Feel free to look at any of my recent images on flickr and hopefully you'll see what I mean and never forget if you do find something where the noise bothers you then just open lightroom, select the background (it will almost always be the background where you see it) or offending part and apply noise reduction using the brush tool.

The salesman was frankly an arse and though he could make more money - feel free to tell him that from me, as I own both I can tell you that without doing any sort of test to me they perform pretty much the same.

The E-M1 does have a couple of advantages

Weather sealing (for the very few lenses that cater for it - I think just four but I could be wrong - I only own two of them)
Tethering (via firmware upgrade)
Inbuilt grip - the E-M10 is almost but not quite as good with the batteryless grip.
Possible improvement to CAF with the new firmware when its released, so time will tell on that one.
Longer battery life due to different batteries from the E-M10
Better viewfinder (not that much better in real life)

There are no doubt a few more but those are the ones off the top of my head - basically bar for the M5 II 40MP trickery they seem to upgrade the firmware on the M1 if possible to use new feature to make it more attractive than the newer models which is quite nice if you pick one up cheaply, otherwise go for the E-M10.

Hi John

Thank you very much for your very informative write up and it nice to hear from someone who own both to say that the E-M10 is a good camera it the price of it that attracts me more as it won't break the bank and I could get some lovely images out of it... How far would you dare go with the ISO on the EM10.. Which lens should I get the 45MM but it not a fast lens is it?

Lastly I see you have a 5D3 do you still use it much would you replace it with the oly>?

45mm is f/1.8 so more or less as fast as they get on m4/3 (there are a few f/0.9 exotic manual focus jobbies). Maybe you are talking about focus speed? can't help there until tomorrow when I pick mine up but I doubt it will be that slow to focus as few of the modern lenses are. Besides, lets be honest, not that many DSLR lenses are that quick to focus...

As for ISO - I posted some samples earlier but I am perfectly happy with ISO5000 with a touch of NR applied.

As Ned says 1.8 is really about as fast it it gets - more faster lenses are in the pipeline. Do bear in mind though that because of the x2 crop factor 1.8 is not 1.8, but more like 2.8 (I always forget the exact doubling sequence so I'm sure someone can correct me) - but on the up side you do get more reach.

ISO wise personally roughly 1600, but lightroom can sort out anything higher so I don;t restruct it too much.

As to the 5D3 thats no longer in my bag, I swapped to the E-M10!!

As Ned says 1.8 is really about as fast it it gets - more faster lenses are in the pipeline. Do bear in mind though that because of the x2 crop factor 1.8 is not 1.8, but more like 2.8 (I always forget the exact doubling sequence so I'm sure someone can correct me) - but on the up side you do get more reach.

ISO wise personally roughly 1600, but lightroom can sort out anything higher so I don;t restruct it too much.

As to the 5D3 thats no longer in my bag, I swapped to the E-M10!!
That a big swap have u rid of it totally any regret miss anything? I do take pictures at 6400 on 5d3 for indoor when it low lighting

How u manage to capture those then. Just keep pressing

How you manage that I don't know lol so the AF must be that quick then

Yep, it really is lightning fast - I'm sure you'll be pleased. Whilst my dslr was just a d7000, I think I shot at iso3200 once in all the time I had it as I wasn't happy with it. With the OMDs, I'm happy to shoot much higher.

I'm also amazed at the detail in the shots too. For me, it's a great camera

How close can the 45mm focus pls to objects

Am losing track which lens u got pls

0.5m..but you can crop and retain the detail. This is a mega crop as it was about 1.5cm across

moss by damianmkv, on Flickr

I have a 14-42 ( the old one, not the pancake ), the 45 1.8, 60 macro, 40-150R and 75-300 II

Last edited:
You know what is a good lens that doesn't break the bank - its a bit of an odd focal length and the AFs not as fast as the 75mm, but the Sigma 60mm 2.8 DN cannot be sniffed at for the oney, I've seen some people say they sold their 75s after using it.

Lens wise I've tried to remember them and update the signature, but are:

M43: Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro - Olympus 75mm 1.8 - Olympus 45mm 1.8 - Panasonic 100-300 - Sigma 60mm 2.8 DN - Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro - Olympus 40-150 R II - Olympus 14-42

Last edited:
Still thinking about the p20....but will that slow focus drive me nuts ? Grrr

Shame I don't live near by otherwise could meet up for couple hours give can test drive lol

Shame I don't live near by otherwise could meet up for couple hours give can test drive lol
Ha! If you're worried about AF speed, the 20mm/f1.7 would not be the place to start. It's a fantastic lens in almost every way (it's sharp, light, small and cheap), but probably the slowest-focussing native MFT lens there is.

Sounds like MFT isn't for him then. As you say, the S-AF has always been good, but if it wasn't to his liking then, not much has changed now.
The Firmware update to the EM-1 apparently brings improved C-AF, but no-ones tested it yet to see how good it is, and I'd feel pretty safe wagering that it won't get anywhere near SLR standard... yet. It's worth remebering that all the current generation of MFT lenses were designed for Contrast-Detect AF. It will be a while before Phase-Detect AF is commonplace across MFT bodies and there is a suite of lenses designed to utilise that.
In short, if you really need C-AF, mirrorless systems probably aren't your thing right now.

To be honest I don't use it a lot at all just now and again very rare for C-af

Bottom line is, nothing has really changed since you had an EM5 and the focussing and image quality on the EM10 are the same so really you are in posession of everything you need to make a decision.

Why not go back and look at the images you shot with the EM5

I think there may be a smaller focus point available, but I'm not that up on the M5

Timing,we used to do it in the days before A/F :)
"We"? Speak for yourself, grandpa :p

Although I'm no spring chicken myself - I can remember when Faxing was de rigour rather than emailing, and people still referred to photocopying as 'Xeroxing'.

I just got back from handling the E-M5 mark 2. This is what I noted, coming from the mark 1:
I liked the Focus Peaking. Very clear.
I liked the 2x2 dials.
The EVF is stunning in size and detail.
The flip out screen was a bit fiddly to pull away from the back. Practice is probably needed.
The rep said when you flip out the screen, the EVF is off, with no way of using it, until the screen is folded away. Is this true or is the rep an idiot?

Been and handled the EM10 again took some images got to look at them later.

I found had to go through menu settings to alter AF etc is that right so quick access?

Bottom line is, nothing has really changed since you had an EM5 and the focussing and image quality on the EM10 are the same so really you are in posession of everything you need to make a decision.

Why not go back and look at the images you shot with the EM5

Might get the EM 5 bundle at Jessops but em10 the built in flash temp me. Do they both have the same amount Focus point?

There is a super control panel on the side of the evf which will bring up a selection of options for you to change.
U sure??? Couldn't find anything

Back