Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I meant the lens, but then I do have the 75mm and 12-40 pro, so I'm a bit spoilt!

I had a look through my own and couldn't find any moving subjects I'd taken with the 45mm personally, but have a poke through here (link) and I'm sure you'll find something.

David, good point regarding the 1/4000 vs 1/8000 but living here its not something I've had too much trouble with ;) (EDIT: I just looked at the shutter speed of my last 135 shots and 34 were over 4000 - who would have guessed!)

I've always found Warsop pretty dull tbh... :D

Oh, if you wait a few days theres a new firmware coming this month for the E-M1 which apparently will have:

Firmware 3.0 reworks the E-M1 Continuous AF algorithm for phase-detection.

When set to (C-AF) Continuous Auto Focus using a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds lens:

-Sequential H mode AF tracking performance is improved
-Sequential shooting speed increase to a maximum of 9 fps

Oh, if you wait a few days theres a new firmware coming this month for the E-M1 which apparently will have:

So it will use phase detection even with m43 lenses? Oooooh! If that works well many many people will be very happy indeed - might even scupper my plans for an EM5 mkii.

So it will use phase detection even with m43 lenses? Oooooh! If that works well many many people will be very happy indeed...
Me included :)

Grr this not being easy. Dunno if I will miss the 5d mkiii but I hardly take it out cos of size... And then I am worried I won't take the OMD out as it not up to standard lol

Haha, deja vu

If you want a camera to put in your jacket pocket and be able get great shots the E-M10 and the 14-42 EZ would be great. As would teh E-M5 the grip is a bit bigger on the E-M1.

As to the quality of the E-M5 and the 14-42 EZ here is a shot shown earlier on the thread with that combo handheld no filters and procesed from

Beach-sunset-pool-E-M5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Grr this not being easy. Dunno if I will miss the 5d mkiii but I hardly take it out cos of size... And then I am worried I won't take the OMD out as it not up to standard lol

Never is :(,but if the weight & size is stopping you taking camera it doesn't about the standard,better to have smaller you can take out :)

This is why I changed. I'd say IQ is better than my d7000

Just gotta wait for the Motorsport season to start to test it properly

I totally agree, and as long as you can downgrade your expections and know your number of keepers will drop you'll be fine.

Will keepers really drop that bad for static images

No, not at all

EM10 is tempting due to in built flash and compact Zoom.

But EM 5 for the 5 axis IS

But what others advantage over the 2

Is the EM10 and EM5 the same for AF..

I think the keepere rate and image quality of the m4/3 cameras is just fine. I have to say I use MF a lot but the AF is good but I am a S AF user macro is all MF.

Hover-stack by alf.branch, on Flickr

This was with an old MKI 40-150 mm 4/3 lens and raynox adapater

Ant-Queen by alf.branch, on Flickr

This was taken with the E-M5 and a 12-50mm kit lens handheld while holding the remote for the E-M1 on the tripod

the-aproaching-sea by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here is an E-M1 shot from the roughly the same time

The-Calm-before-the-storm by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
EM10 has an updated AF system (more focus points) but I've not heard it said to be any better/worse than the EM5.

I had to make the choice between the EM5 and EM10 and I went with the 10 as the only thing it was missing was the weather sealing and that wasn't such a big deal for a travel camera, the extra features (wifi and flash in particular) more than made up for it.

Then I was considering getting the EM1 for the pro quality and better continuous AF and running a two camera system (selling my FF Nikon and buying the new Oly Pro lenses).

Then the EM5 mk ii comes along and I think I can use that and the grip as a one camera system (just use the grip when I want to use big lenses).

Now I'm thinking I'll wait for comparison of the continuous AF abilities between the two (after the firmware update) and make my judgement then.

All this said, I rarely use C-AF anyway but there are times such as the Andean Condor flypast in Peru where I'd be gutted if the camera had missed the shots. I've not had reason to use it on the EM10 and I've been delighted with what it can do so maybe I wouldn't miss C-AF anyway.

Here's my story with camera gear and using it for mostly family, days out or holiday stuff :)
I sold all my Canon gear as like you i found i wasn't using it with its size and weight even though i could easily carry it :rolleyes:
So i committed myself to M43 but then once i did i missed the Canon gear lol at the time with the E-M5 it was great and still is at getting initial focus yet when following my kids running about i didn't rate it ( I thought you had a E-M5 once :wideyed: ) and the max 4000 shutter speed if i shot wide open would max out which i found a annoyance when shooting wide open on a sunny day with fast primes..
Yea i know use a ND filter before anyone points it out.

So i then gave the Fuji X series a go liked them the focusing wasn't quite as fast initially yet the tracking on X-T1 was better and i really liked the lens and images from the X series.
But i ended up going back to Canon after it all as i just found apart from the size and weight it was "imo" best :D i have the 5D3.... and something smaller for when i can't be bothered carrying the DSLR a Sony A6000 but unless i was at the point of struggling with the weight i personally wouldn't replace a DSLR again with any CSC.. The A6000 is a good nice all rounder as a CSC body for the money AF tracking for the kids is very good but the lens choices are limited in comparison to the excellent selection from M43 or Fuji X series.

Last edited:
The EM10 is tempting as u say flash built in and wifi. But if I can get some shoots in C-AF I be happy

Here's my story with camera gear and using it for mostly family, days out or holiday stuff :)
I sold all my Canon gear as like you i found i wasn't using it with its size and weight even though i could easily carry it :rolleyes:
So i committed myself to M43 but then once i did i missed the Canon gear lol at the time with the E-M5 it was great and still is at getting initial focus yet when following my kids running about i didn't rate it ( I thought you had a E-M5 once :wideyed: ) and the max 4000 shutter speed if i shot wide open would max out which i found a annoyance when shooting wide open on a sunny day with fast primes..
Yea i know use a ND filter before anyone points it out.

So i then gave the Fuji X series a go liked them the focusing wasn't quite as fast initially yet the tracking on X-T1 was better and i really liked the lens and images from the X series.
But i ended up going back to Canon after it all as i just found apart from the size and weight it was "imo" best :D i have the 5D3.... and something smaller for when i can't be bothered carrying the DSLR a Sony A6000 but unless i was at the point of struggling with the weight i personally wouldn't replace a DSLR again with any CSC.. The A6000 is a good nice all rounder as a CSC body for the money AF tracking for the kids is very good but the lens choices are limited in comparison to the excellent selection from M43 or Fuji X series.
Ha ha you remember me well then ha ha once I saw your name I knew who u were :)

Yup had a EM 5 when it first came out but someone said firmware made it better?

So you say the Fuji better grrr lol

Reading around the AF on the EM10 is better due to new system.

My big gear not been out of house over 6 month now :(

Yeah I forgot about that shutter speed I think that was another problem I did have too.. But the EM10 should be ok on that ground?

The face detection mode (if you use it? ) and the initial focus was better on the M43 and it has smaller lenses so smaller overall yet found the Fuji X-T1 tracked better and i liked the images it produced that little bit more...
This is based on the E-M5 experience maybe with the Mark II or the E-M1 the tracking may be similar paced to the Fuji X-T1, If i was given a choice now between a E-M1 or E-M5 Mark II vs X-T1 again id struggle to pick one :eek:

You missed oh the EM10 lol that supposed have a better AF? Then the EM5 we had?

Can't anyone comment has the em 5 been improved since it came out

I don't have any issue with the AF speed on the e-m10, especially with face detection on. You can little point and shoot and it does an awesome job whereas with the d7000, it would still be thinking about it.

Realistically, it's probably not a massive difference but I find it lightning fast

You missed oh the EM10 lol that supposed have a better AF? Then the EM5 we had?

Can't anyone comment has the em 5 been improved since it came out
As far as I remember, there was an update last year that offered extended low ISO to 100 and reduced size af focus points. They also updated the body a while ago and called it the Elite. I have one for sale in the classifieds....
Allan

Went to shop got put off em5 em10 was told go em1 if want AF

But if want indoor and low light go for Fuji XE 2

Grrrrr

Went to shop got put off em5 em10 was told go em1 if want AF

So the shop told you to go for the expensive camera rather than the cheaper ones? *Feigns surprise*

I'd have got the shop assistant to wander about the shop and tracked him/her to test.

The C-AF may be better on the EM-1 (it's pretty bad on most MFT cameras), but bear in mind the S-AF is pretty quick on modern MFT bodies.

BOLD STATEMENT ALERT: How you get on with the size/weight/handling/lens selection will make far more of a difference to your experience than minor differences in the spec sheet.

Hi

Are your saying S-AF is quite good on the EM10??

I was thinking EM-5 since there a 3 lens bundle with it for £799. But the EM10 wifi and built in flash makes it harder.

Between those 2 which is ur pick for good images. In all honesty are these good in low light. How far can we go on ISO before it comes unacceptable

Can't speak for the EM10 but my EM-5 performs perfectly adequately for my needs.

Whilst Wi-fi would be nice, (although I'd prefer GPS), I rarely use flash (and when I had an SLR on the occasions I did use flash, I prefer to bounce it so used an add-on unit) so I wouldn't swap my EM5 for an EM10. Although if I already had the EM10 I probably wouldn't swap that either.

Image quality difference between them will be minimal - there hasn't been a major leap in sensor performance in the gap between the camera releases.

I wouldn't like to comment on acceptable ISO performance - each person's opinion of 'acceptable' differs and since you're coming from Full Frame your standards may be higher than mine. (Plus, I only use JPEGs - if you're happy to shoot RAW and post-process, you can get more out of the sensor than I do.) Instead, I suggest you look at images available online to judge for yourself.

It sounds like you're suffering from 'Analysis Paralysis' ! Go back to the shop with a couple of SD cards, take some images and then go home and look at them. This alone will determine if MFT is up to what you want/require and see the differences between each model (I suspect you won't be able to tell which is which unless you label the cards, but it would be interesting to hear what you find). It'll also let you see if the ergonomics of each model work for you - going from Full Frame to an EM10 is a substantial form-factor reduction.

Last edited:
Doesn't the EM10 have gps too?

Think I will try them both as it driving me nut

I am prepare accept a drop in quality but I think I be able restore by LR

Doesn't the EM10 have gps too?

Apparently not. The Smartphone App for the camera can Geotag transferred photos using a location log from your phone. So it's more a feature of the app then the camera.

Of course, you can use your phone's location log to Geotag photos from any camera if you load them onto your computer, so this isn't really a bonus. I would want proper in-camera GPS so I can transfer my photos directly without needing to faff around with my phone and drain the phone's battery with GPS-logging.

Apparently not. The Smartphone App for the camera can Geotag transferred photos using a location log from your phone. So it's more a feature of the app then the camera.

Of course, you can use your phone's location log to Geotag photos from any camera if you load them onto your computer, so this isn't really a bonus. I would want proper in-camera GPS so I can transfer my photos directly without needing to faff around with my phone and drain the phone's battery with GPS-logging.
Hmmm

Maybe I should go EM5 after all from Jessops with 3 lens

Have u be ok with S-AF u any samples pls

Back