Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Would you be able to use the evf with the screen pulled out anyway?
Easily. The screen is not a flip up in your nose screen like the other OMDs. It swings out to the side away from your face.

At least you can use it in portrait mode unlike the old flip out type. I need the screen for low level shots where I'm incapable of bending down to look through the EVF for any length of time. And as soon as I want portrait mode, the flip out type becomes useless.

Last edited:
Do bear in mind though that because of the x2 crop factor 1.8 is not 1.8, but more like 2.8 (I always forget the exact doubling sequence so I'm sure someone can correct me) - but on the up side you do get more reach.

I thought I'd throw this one into the hat ;)

It's a common misconception that m4/3rds (or 4/3rds for that matter) is a crop system, actually it isn't, there is no cropping going on as the sensor makes full use of native m4/3rds image circle.
It would only be a crop system if the native glass projected a bigger image circle than the sensor size like some APSC bodies with 35 mm sensor glass attached :)

From the speed of glass point of view f/1.8 is f/1.8 whatever the system i.e. the ratio between the focal length and maximum aperture.
So exposure is the same but there is difference in depth of field in comparison to a 35mm sensor format camera, m4/3rds having the greater depth of field for a given comparative field of view and aperture.
I think the idea of 'crop' has come from the loose interpretation of focal comparisons when actually what we are really comparing is the field of view.

Cheers :D
I'll take my smart a** hat off now :exit:

Last edited:
I think I have made my mind up to go back to a OMD as it such much smaller to take around. So I just have to take more pictures when the little one running and hope get a few good ones... I guess a good glass will play a part?

It either EM10 with which lens I don't know. Not too sure if I like the electronic lens what your though?

Or the EM 5 kit from jessops for 799

I think I have made my mind up to go back to a OMD as it such much smaller to take around. So I just have to take more pictures when the little one running and hope get a few good ones... I guess a good glass will play a part?

It either EM10 with which lens I don't know. Not too sure if I like the electronic lens what your though?

Or the EM 5 kit from jessops for 799

Can you afford to do it without selling up? I couldn't so sold everything to buy the e-m10 and a selection of lenses, then realised it wasn't for me so sold up again and went back to what i know. :LOL: If you could buy a smaller kit and still keep your DSLR then that is what i'd suggest you do.

I am thinking of doing that... get a CSC that is pretty good and if I get on with it and like it and use it more then I sell off the big stuff... But which is the matter of what... I have narrowed it down

EM 5
EM 10
Sony A7 II
Fuji XE 2

Ive played with them all today and I have found them all quite impressive the XE 2 wow colour that produce is brilliant...

EM 10 I couldn't test properly as it wasn't at the camera shop as they none in and it was John Lewis where I tested that so couldn't test it correctly :(

Take a look at the second hand options - I got my M1 from LCE (link), but for a bit under their advertised price when I mentioned I'd just missed one on my local forums for less than their, and they brought the price down. Just use the contact me option for the item you;re thinking about. Also when I got it it was pritine apart from a missing flash cap, which they sourced and sent to me free of charge - cannot say fairer than that.

..or Ffordes (link), MPB don't have much in just now.

The EM10 is the same as the EM5 except for the features you're aware of :banghead:
Yes I know that what I am trying to weight up

As If I get a EM10 It comes with the the electronic zoom lens for £599

If I went EM 5 it comes with 3 lens. £799

But why pay that when I can get a 45MM lens and 2 others for 799 from a UK shop?

Only thing that tempt me for the EM10 is the flash lol

But why pay that when I can get a 45MM lens and 2 others for 799 from a UK shop?

Only thing that tempt me for the EM10 is the flash lol

Is that the Oly 45mm f1.8? I have one and I like it a lot.

There seem to be quite a lot of used MTF lens bargains about. I bought my 25 and 45mm f1.8's and my 14mm f2.5 used.

Got a link to the offer?

I would definitely go for the option Nawty (Ned) linked to at hdew
If you're going to spend around that amount get a body with the 12-40 Pro it's well worth it.

I would definitely go for the option Nawty (Ned) linked to at hdew
If you're going to spend around that amount get a body with the 12-40 Pro it's well worth it.
What are they really like as a seller how long does it normally take to get the items as it doesn't show if in stock or not...

Would this still count over the Em10

I've been sort of thinking about getting a f2.8 zoom as the f3.5-5.6 don't really excite me... but I much prefer primes and I feel awkward when trying to use a zoom.

If you are sure you can live with a zoom then the f2.8's make a lot of sense, but personally I'd pick the primes every time and the 25 and 45mm f1.8's are very attractive. Add a 12 or 14mm and depending upon what you like that could be a complete set.

I've never purchased any kit from them myself but I'm sure many on this forum have. I also know members on other sites who have and have not had any issues.
They are grey importers but they do have a bricks and mortar place in the UK and include 3 year warranty.

Edit: Prime or zoom take your pick but with the 12-40 you will give prime level image quality from 12 to 40 mm.
You'll lose some speed but gain convenience (no swapping lenses for a walk around solution) plus moisture and dust resistance to match the E-M5 body, if that's important to you.
Close up focus is pretty impressive with the 12-40 too.

Last edited:

It's a common misconception that m4/3rds (or 4/3rds for that matter) is a crop system, actually it isn't, there is no cropping going on as the sensor makes full use of native m4/3rds image circle.
It would only be a crop system if the native glass projected a bigger image circle than the sensor size like some APSC bodies with 35 mm sensor glass attached :)

From the speed of glass point of view f/1.8 is f/1.8 whatever the system i.e. the ratio between the focal length and maximum aperture.
So exposure is the same but there is difference in depth of field in comparison to a 35mm sensor format camera, m4/3rds having the greater depth of field for a given comparative field of view and aperture.
I think the idea of 'crop' has come from the loose interpretation of focal comparisons when actually what we are really comparing is the field of view.

Very well said... should I then correct what I said to....

Do bear in mind though that because of the sensor size and the reduced field of view a 1.8 will not have the same depth of field you may be used to on the 5D3, but more like a 2.8.

Oh, I second the 12-40 Pro by the way, a great lens with a 35mm comparative range of 24-80, so a little more reach than the highly acclaimed Canon 24-70 f4 - oh and this is one of the few weather sealed lenses.

Last edited:
I've been sort of thinking about getting a f2.8 zoom as the f3.5-5.6 don't really excite me... but I much prefer primes and I feel awkward when trying to use a zoom.

If you are sure you can live with a zoom then the f2.8's make a lot of sense, but personally I'd pick the primes every time and the 25 and 45mm f1.8's are very attractive. Add a 12 or 14mm and depending upon what you like that could be a complete set.

Love mine zooms,each to his own :D,the F2.8 is really good :)

Very well said... should I then correct what I said to....

Do bear in mind though that because of the sensor size and the reduced field of view a 1.8 will not have the same depth of field you may be used to on the 5D3, but more like a 2.8.

Oh, I second the 12-40 Pro by the way, a great lens with a 35mm comparative range of 24-80, so a little more reach than the highly acclaimed Canon 24-70 f4 - oh and this is one of the few weather sealed lenses.

Hi John, I should have qualified my comment by saying it wasn't directed at you specifically, it's just a general thing... :)

Quick grab of a Thrush outside my office window yesterday lunch time.
40-150 f/2.8 & MC-14

Shame about hedgerow twigs :)

Which camera that. Didn't know there was a 40-150 f2.8 lens

Ooo.. now watch out for the 40-150, that will hurt the bank :)

Well as you asked what lenses there were - try here (link) or here (link).

BTW Huw I didn't take it personally at all - just wondering where do you post your pics now? I just noticed your flicker was even more out of date than mine!

The rep said when you flip out the screen, the EVF is off, with no way of using it, until the screen is folded away. Is this true or is the rep an idiot?
I would guess the rep is an idiot, because if he's right there's something terribly wrong back at base.
If the EVF has a display button surely that's switch regardless of LCD position.

There is a super control panel on the side of the evf ...
?? The Super Control Panel isn't a physical thing, are you sure you don't mean "There is a button etc etc"?

Last edited:
Yes I pressed the |O| button and nothing happened. And he said "that will not work"
There were other questions he had no clue about. He needed to ask his colleague what the button on the front did. (DOF Preview).
Regardless of the actual situation, he was a waste of space anyway.

Last edited:
I bet there's some deep menu option for this new camera's evf-v-LCD behaviour ... Olympus has a lot of deep menu options :p

It's just a play on words really to give you an idea of how a lens is perceived to perform on a given camera.The crop factor is based on full frame systems. My Dad, who used medium format film cameras for years and now the digital version, thinks FF are crop sensors!
Allan

What are they really like as a seller how long does it normally take to get the items as it doesn't show if in stock or not...

Hdew are very good. Delivery typically takes 5 days

Getting the EM 1 tmr for whole weekend on the test drive thingy.

Wanted test EM10 but not available as booked out

I'd forgotten about that - damn - thats great news though (apart from the 10 not being available) - they giving you the 12-40 Pro too to really clear your wallet out? ;)

It be good to test it all out as the XE 2 was impressive and the A7 II but one thing stopping me A7 is that it not as compact due lens being bigger

Getting the EM 1 tmr for whole weekend on the test drive thingy.

Wanted test EM10 but not available as booked out

let us know how you get on.
What are they giving you play with on the glass side?

12-40 Pro lens

Back