Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

What's the 12-40 like for flare at night-time? I have the 12-35 and got some 'interesting' effects on Brooklyn Bridge at night recently...a streetlamp caused a large purple flare wide-open at night with my e-m5, right in the centre of the frame.
Knowing this was possible on Oly bodies I had a strong UV filter with me- which kills the purple flare, but replaces it with green spots...TBH the purple looks better.

Anyone know of UV filters that don't leave green spots in frame? A bit annoyed as this wasn't an ebay special, bought a £30 'new coating' filter from Formatt to try out.

Last edited:
@fulwood lol, I saw this post after I replied to the other one :)

Last edited:
Will be joining this group shortly as have just pulled the trigger on an EM5 with 12-50mm lens for bargain price of £499 delivered from my local dealer, Wilkinson Cameras, great price even though I'm not thrilled with the ergonomics - buttons a bit small for my fat fingers!

Wondered about the compatibility of Panasonic lenses with the EM5, in theory should be 100% compatible, but what about in practice?

Specifically thinking of using a 7-14 and 100-300 with it. Any comments or issues appreciated before I splash out on these.

Thanks
Henry

On the whole Pansonic lenses work fine on Olympus bodies. However, Panasonic bodies remove purple fringing etc from Panasonic lenses in body , you would have to do this in PP on an Olympus body. Some Pana lenses such as the 20m f1.7 also suffer from a banding problem at high iso , although I have never experienced this. Personally, I much prefer the look , feel and performance of Olympus lenses.

Some Pana lenses such as the 20m f1.7 also suffer from a banding problem at high iso , although I have never experienced this. Personally, I much prefer the look , feel and performance of Olympus lenses.

I've had the 20mm f1.7 since early days and used it with my GF1 and then with my G1 and then GX7. I never ever saw the banding issue with the GF1 or G1 but I've seen it a couple of times with my GX7. I assume it didn't show up on the older cameras as they only go to ISO 3200.

Anyway, I've seen it with my GX7 at much higher than ISO 3200 but only under artificial lighting and it seems inconsistent and very difficult to replicate. I've seen it when shooting family and friends in dimly lit rooms with the TV on but when specifically testing for it I couldn't replicate it so God knows what exactly causes it, maybe it depends what's on TV at the time :D and the colour and light output? Who knows? I've never seen it with my Oly 25mm f1.8 or any other lens and never with the 20mm f1.7 when shooting at 3200 or lower.

PS. The 20mm f1.7 is such a nice lens that personally I wouldn't let the (possible) banding issue put me off. I think it's just a possibility to be aware of and I'm pretty sure that if sticking to ISO 3200-6400 and lower it'll not show up.

Last edited:
So...now that I have a p20, o25 and o45 I'm beginning to run out of space in my bag.

Should I dump them all for a p12-35 ? I know it's a bit slower but it would save me changing lenses every 5 seconds..

How does it fare in low light ?

#GAS :(

Save money and get a bigger bag. ;)

:) sticking with the bag..

I'm on the lookout for another P20 (this will be my 5th IIRC :) ) if anyone knows of one for sale please.

Are you a member of the Olympus Buy & Sell group on Facebook? There was one on there for a reasonable price...

EDIT: I've just sent a message to the seller to check if still available.

Last edited:
Is there much of a difference from a em 10 and em5 II performance wise?

Am sure someone will of had both at some point

The EM-5 mk 1. The one with screwed up ergonomics that nobody wants anymore.
Can get those cheap now. You any other gear? Do u do any high ISO with it

I own an EM10 and have used the EM5mk2 and for me, unless you want better CAF and weather sealing there wasn't enough difference to justify the extra cost of the EM5mk2.

No doubt I will get one when the price comes down but that's only because it uses the same batteries as my EM1 and the EM10 doesn't.

Do u do any high ISO with it
Grrrrrrrr. High ISO? Are you yanking my chain? It's the mark 1 for smeg sake! 15 clicks to get to 3200 for one shot then another 15 clicks to get back to Auto. Picture quality is surprisingly good. But thanks to the awful ergonomics, you've missed your shot.

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrr. High ISO? Are you yanking my chain? It's the mark 1 for smeg sake! 15 clicks to get to 3200 for one shot then another 15 clicks to get back to Auto. Picture quality is surprisingly good. But thanks to the awful ergonomics, you've missed your shot.
You're really selling it! :D

Going get a em 5 mkii with the 12-50 for £980 I think don't think I want pay extra for the other lens the 12-50 still a good sharp lens isn't it ?

I'd rather have a mk1 and 12-40/2.8 than a mk2 and 12-50.

Lenses>bodies :)

But reviews says the 12-50 is a pretty good sharp lens

But reviews says the 12-50 is a pretty good sharp lens
It's good for a £100 kit lens - it's sharp, light, has manual zoom, electronic zoom and a macro mode. Eat that, Canon/Nikon!

But, the 12-40 is different class - faster, sharper, better built.

It's good for a £100 kit lens - it's sharp, light, has manual zoom, electronic zoom and a macro mode. Eat that, Canon/Nikon!

But, the 12-40 is different class - faster, sharper, better built.
Thank you for those info... Have you come form a Dslr then if you have how did you find the move

Last edited:
Thank you for those info... Have you come form a Dslr then if you have how did you find the move

I moved from a Nikon d7000. Everything is fine -I never understand the "I can't get on with it" brigade. Try it in a shop first. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. ( this isn't what I did - I just jumped in in order to pee @minnnt off who got GAS sold everything then couldn't cope and ran off crying )

980 quid?????? fffffffffffkkkkkk!

Shutyaface Damian. I still have nightmares about it. It was your fault i moved. Bell end.
That the em5 mkii with 12-50 why??

Back