Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Grrrrrrrr. High ISO? Are you yanking my chain? It's the mark 1 for smeg sake! 15 clicks to get to 3200 for one shot then another 15 clicks to get back to Auto. Picture quality is surprisingly good. But thanks to the awful ergonomics, you've missed your shot.

15 clicks to get to 3200, how so? Activate SCP and select iso and spin the dial and you're there...easy peasy :)
I find it quite amusing that people joke about the E-M5 when fact of the matter its still a very capable little camera.

Last edited:
Last year there was one person in the local camera club with the M5 (me) this week three members have purchased the M1 bundle and a new member has the M5, its a great little camera, and I came first and second in a club comp with shots taken with my M5.

The fact of the matter is that most cameras these days will take really good shots if you know what you're doing (in some situations even if you don't) - and you can work around any limitations that may exist.

The E-M5 was a ground breaking camera and can still produce stunning images. I think that the evolution that has gone into the Mk2 is entirely worthwhile because of the 1/16000 shutter, improved top plate dials and buttons, twisty LCD and improved EVF. I didn't own a Mk1 or any other m43 camera for that matter when I bought it - if I'd have still owned one of the two original E-M5's I had over the years, then I maybe wouldn't have seen the benefit in an upgraded just yet (ok. ok, I probably would have done!).

There will always be a price premium for early adopters.

15 clicks to get to 3200, how so? Activate SCP and select iso and spin the dial and you're there...easy peasy :)

The amount of people that still don't know about the SCP is amazing (not suggesting Ianp5a does or doesn't know about it) - I guess this is why Oly decided to activate it by default on the E-M5Mk2.

The fact of the matter is that most cameras these days will take really good shots if you know what you're doing (in some situations even if you don't) - and you can work around any limitations that may exist.

The E-M5 was a ground breaking camera and can still produce stunning images. I think that the evolution that has gone into the Mk2 is entirely worthwhile because of the 1/16000 shutter, improved top plate dials and buttons, twisty LCD and improved EVF. I didn't own a Mk1 or any other m43 camera for that matter when I bought it - if I'd have still owned one of the two original E-M5's I had over the years, then I maybe wouldn't have seen the benefit in an upgraded just yet (ok. ok, I probably would have done!).

There will always be a price premium for early adopters.

I picked up my Em5 in December last year from amazon and got for £600 Em5,hld6 , 45mm and 12-50. I had owned newer cameras prior but was blown away with the quality and size.
I love it so much i decided to buy a cheap dslr for tracking my kids as I love the whole system for size and quality.
So when amazon had the ks1 with 50mm F1. 8 for £ 250 on wed then couldn't resist.
I don't feel I have betrayed my Em5. Just bought it a little companion to keep it company.

I think as far as m4/3 and apsc they are in real world terms equal these days so it's more down to user specific preferences or requirements.

Funny how we think is a camera still relevant or good enough if a few years old.

Maybe I should throw away 90% of my wardrobe as that's way over 5 years old...hehe

Last edited:
Realistically, do any of us need 1/16000s ? Unless we've gone to the sun on holiday it must be a rarity

Realistically, do any of us need 1/16000s ? Unless we've gone to the sun on holiday it must be a rarity
With iso 200, yes. The X-T1 has 1/32000 available and with fast lenses (f1.4) i have gone above the 1/4000 limit quite a lot just lately even when just shooting some street images. Can't be bothered to be messing around with ND filters and i buy fast lenses to be able to shoot wide open with them. Can only imagine this to be more beneficial when the summer finally gets here. Alot depends on what you shoot and how you shoot i guess.

Funnily enough the last time this topic came up I said it'd not be a problem and the very next day it was ☺, that said it hasn't been again since

Funnily enough the last time this topic came up I said it'd not be a problem and the very next day it was ☺, that said it hasn't been again since

I do tend shoot wide open sometime so when abroad could come a problem.

John you a em10 and em1. How would you compare them. I am still torn between em5 m2 but with 12-50. Or em10 with the kit lens. The em10 will save a packet.

I do tend shoot wide open sometime so when abroad could come a problem.

John you a em10 and em1. How would you compare them. I am still torn between em5 m2 but with 12-50. Or em10 with the kit lens. The em10 will save a packet.

FWIW I haven't used the kit lens that came with my EM10 at all (it's the pancake one), it's primes all the way on that. Small fast primes is what M4/3 is all about to me.

I did buy the 12-40 and it's an amazing lens but it is very big compared to the 25 or 45. I may sell it or buy a coat with bigger pockets.

Well the E-M10 will most likely end up with my daughter as its hardly worth selling now - theres nothing wrong with the camera at all, in fact its one of the better ones I've owned, but for me I like to take images of fast moving things with the shallowest depth of field possible (which was the most jarring thing moving from full frame BTW) I found for me the best way for me to achieve this on the M10 was to poke at the back screen in single shot, on the M1 I just use the viewfinder on continuous and I'm fine.

I have found that the keeper rate has dropped, but I usually still get the shot - on the up side having a x2 crop is great too, only having to carry a 100-300 to give an effective range of 200-600 is excellent, with my funds the only way I could do that at the time was via the 150-500 OS (or 50-500 OS) and they are big!

Theres also the fact the the 100-300 Panasonic is a bit too front heavy when on the M10, but that is helped a lt with the grip.

My happy medium between weight and performance was to ditch the 5D3 and heavy lenses for the M43 format but I thought the M10 was a little too small, whereas the M1 was just right.

The funniest thing I found moving to M43 is that now if we go out for the day I have the lighter bag - I'd have the camera and my wife has the picnic, in the DSLR days the camera bag weighed more, almost twice as much - now its closer to half and I'd be carrying more lenses :)

I will add though that if I want to look less like I've got an expensive camera or want to travel lighter I will break out the M10 and kit lens, its just so small.

I'm still in between the EM10 and EM1.

The EM1 is great but I love the small size of the EM10, for my normal type of shooting (travel) it is perfect - unobtrusive yet with great quality.

Also, to my eyes the EM10 is slightly better at high ISO.

To add more spices to my though today.

Em5 2 can be got with pro lens at £1299 now lol

But the em10 size is tempting so can take on holiday but being bright abroad without filters can be a prob??

I may sell it or buy a coat with bigger pockets.

Damian knows a good stockist of coats with MASSIVE pockets. :D

1/4000 sucks. It means you need filters or to stop down and having a smaller sensor it means that even more shallow dof is sacrificed.

Having said that, you have a D750 with the same max SS but with the benefit of much lower iso values.

I forget - what sort of things do you shoot?

For me I shoot almost everything with the M1, 12-40 pro and the 100-300 - I do great out the 75mm and 60mm macro sometimes though.

The M5 mk 2 doesn't draw me in that much, but if I were a product shooter it would.

I though they both have same low ISO of 100. I know d750 has a low setting but never used it

Good god why we get into photography I don't know lol

I forget - what sort of things do you shoot?

For me I shoot almost everything with the M1, 12-40 pro and the 100-300 - I do great out the 75mm and 60mm macro sometimes though.

The M5 mk 2 doesn't draw me in that much, but if I were a product shooter it would.

Everything really

Family, day out , landscape and macro.

I would of though em5 m2 be better than em1 reviews says it. Now it £1299 with pro lens made it harder lol

Oh didn't realise that. What about JPEG

Going test EM10 on Olympus test and wow I think

Good call.

You could always test fast moving CAF of the M1 vs the M5 mk2 too ;)

Going test EM10 on Olympus test and wow I think

You may as well do another test and wow with the E-M1 and 12-40 kit...no brainer IMO then you get to handle the biggest and smallest OM-D's and also the f/2.8 zoom.

You may as well do another test and wow with the E-M1 and 12-40 kit...no brainer IMO then you get to handle the biggest and smallest OM-D's and also the f/2.8 zoom.
Some reason Harrison Sheffield doesn't have it

He did ;)

Refresh me pls which camera that and lens?

I've got the EM1 with the pro lens at the moment for the weekend on the trail. And bleeping hell it really is a nice camera and such a sharp lens too can can focus quite close too which I am so amaze about.. If I want too bothered about the AF tracking put AF tracking to one side ie C-AF. Will I get the same sharp image on a em5 and a em10

Ah, I missed that part.

Is there another test centre?

Not near me

Yesterday in London with the 12-40 wide open I was hitting 1/5000 and 1/6400 shutter speed easily.

1/4000 is the single biggest weakness of the older OM-Ds IMHO but clearly doesn't make them useless.

Back