Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

You could always try the GX7 - its got 1/8000 sec shutter speed....

:coat::exit:

I hate being limited to 1/4000 with my G1 and I hate messing on with ND's so being able to go to 1/8000 with my GX7 is very nice indeed.

Will be joining this group shortly as have just pulled the trigger on an EM5 with 12-50mm lens for bargain price of £499 delivered from my local dealer, Wilkinson Cameras, great price even though I'm not thrilled with the ergonomics - buttons a bit small for my fat fingers!

Wondered about the compatibility of Panasonic lenses with the EM5, in theory should be 100% compatible, but what about in practice?

Specifically thinking of using a 7-14 and 100-300 with it. Any comments or issues appreciated before I splash out on these.

Thanks
Henry
Received the EM5 and 12-50 and have had a play with the body. I really dislike the feel of it, too small for my fat arthritic fingers! Unfortunately there weren't any in stock at my local branch, so had to buy blind by mail order. I haven't taken any pictures so will be able to take back for refund. Is the EM1 or EM5 II better feel-wise in the hand compared to the EM5 original? Do the buttons feel better?

One other concern is purple fringing with the 7-14 Panny, believe this could be an issue when used on the Mk 1 EM5. Has this been solved on the newer bodies? Appreciate that Photoshop can de-fringe but much better not to have to do this - you don't always get 100% removal.

Thanks
H

I've not tried the M5, however (here) is a link to a size comparison site that I've found useful in the past - I've preloaded the M5, M5 2 & M1 - you might like to add your current camera to compare.

Last edited:
Hi Henry

Pick up the two part grip grip and you will find that there is a heck of a difference to the feel of the camera.

Having owned an E-M5, E-M1 and an E-M5 Mk2 - I can say that the E-M1 was certainly easier to hold as it had a DSLR style grip (see Johns link above) but for me it made the body too big and bulky. The buttons on the original E-M5 are well known for being mushy - this is not the case on the E-M1 or E-M5Mk2.

I much prefer the E-M5 style/size and the Mk2 has a couple of small improvements over the original such as the larger thumb grip and top dial placements that make it better to hold for me than the original.

The Panasonic bodies automagically correct the purple fringing in body whereas the Olympus bodies don't. I had a P7-14 briefly and used it on one of my E-M5 Mk1s - I never saw hideous fringing that others have experienced with this lens, but the flare sometimes had purple in it.

Nothing that couldn't be corrected or removed though - worth remembering that any lens with a bulbous front element will be prone to flare so it is also important to compose in a way that minimises it anyway.

Last edited:
I might have to crack open my 60 when the wind drops, I haven't used it yet this Spring...amazingly.
Nice shots Damian.

I love that hoverfly - great DoF - I really must crack mine out and sort out some sort of flash setup - I've not really done any macro since selling my MP-E65 :(

Taken with the o60....can get some great detail with this lens but I'm not enjoying macro as much as I did with the Nikon so it may have to go along with the unused Nissin

Why are you not enjoying it?

maybe it's the lack of different subject matter Alf, I'm not sure. I just feel like I wandering around the garden looking for bugs time and time again..

Has anybody any comments on the EM5 elite. I am looking at getting a second EM5 and see the black elite popping up now and again. Do the buttons and dials feel any different?

Still undecided what to get as a second m43 body though....
I had a GM1 that has died. Liked the compact size, but didn't like switching between the cameras due to their very different controls.

Has anybody any comments on the EM5 elite. I am looking at getting a second EM5 and see the black elite popping up now and again. Do the buttons and dials feel any different?

I had a GM1 that has died. Liked the compact size, but didn't like switching between the cameras due to their very different controls.

I believe @allanm had it. Maybe he could offer his thoughts.

Just a heads up for EMD-5 owners, Amazon are selling HLD-6 battery grips for £99 new inc del bought one at that price:woot:

It's exactly the same apart from the finish,which is the same as the EM-1 :)

Got my eye on an E-M1 selling at a good price with a grip (just waiting to here back if it's official) assuming it is, does anyone know what sort of price these go for? Hoping to sell it on to help pay for the camera. Cheers

I was that close to buying an EM 5 Mk2 just now. I walked into the shop. Asked if they had one. Said I'll take it. Body only. No. They only have kits. Darn. Walked out. I'll try another shop tomorrow.

Why not just use Amazon, next day on prime and easy returns.

Check they're the best price though.

It's easier to return to the shop. It's on my way to work. And it's the same price.
I'm not in a hurry to get one. It's just if they had one, I'd not be able to resist.

Last edited:
lol, no brainier then :)

Well, that's that then, after being sure I was going to go for the e-m10 I've just pressed the button on the e-m1 instead....Hope it's not too big...Need to ship my other stuff off to mpb now...

Initially you might think "oohhh" but then you'll soon realise how much better balanced the 1 is and you'll be glad of your purchase.

Have fun :)

It's easier to return to the shop. It's on my way to work. And it's the same price.
I'm not in a hurry to get one. It's just if they had one, I'd not be able to resist.
I am getting almost all my electronics from amazon now due to their returns policy. Bought a gm1 last June, became faulty this week and amazon are giving me a full refund. Hence my latest attack of GAS!

Yes. I buy a lot from Amazon and Prime. But in this case they can't beat a bricks and mortar store for price. Although I suspect Olympus of fixing the price. 1099€, body only, in every camera shop in town.

Last edited:
The EM5 Elite is just a cosmetic upgrade to the standard EM5. Dials and body finish look nicer ( or just different if you aren't fussed) but I liked it.

Allan

Back