Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The EM5 Elite is just a cosmetic upgrade to the standard EM5. Dials and body finish look nicer ( or just different if you aren't fussed) but I liked it.

Allan

Think I may go for a silver one then - I already have a black (standard) em5. Still undecided though - not sure whether I should get another em5, or a smaller body. Liked the Gm1 as it was very pocketable with the 12-32 or a prime, but found myself occasionally frustrated at the different controls and menus, and having to take 2 sets of batteries and chargers when I went on hols.

Also been looking at the lx100, but I'm not a lover of powered zoom lenses. Picked up the em5 mk2 in jessops - lovely camera, but too much money at the moment. Decisions decisions! Have even thought about getting an em1 if I can find a second hand one cheap enough!

Whats the best price people have seen an em5 in uk shops?

Wasn't it a standard EM5 Phil was talking about? If so it's half the price of the MkII as £449 (amazon price) which is the cheapest on the pricebuster website.

It was the original I was looking at. Still undecided, but veering towards getting another em5 rather than a smaller camera. May have gone for a gm5, but I think they are overpriced at the moment - £250 more than a GM1, though they are going for a bargain price at the moment (330 with the 12-32).

The fact is the em5 is the smallest m43 body that has what I want - evf with tilt screen and IBIS. Had a play with an epl5, but it isn't that much smaller than an em5 - approximately an em5 without the 'hump'. Still half considering an lx100 or even an rx100 (even had a brief flirtation with the possibility if an x30), but really like the ability to have 2 m43 bodies with 2 different lenses. as you can tell I am struggling with my decision!

I really like the contrasting colours of that, gonna have to go and find me a yellow field!!!!

I love you really...but you did naughties with someone else and broke my heart :(

Wasn't too good yesterday either - when I drive up, all was good but when I left the meeting it'd all gone Pete Tong

I did google it first but didn't really have a clue so I just looked for a rural area on the sat nav and hoped...

Think I have found the cheapest em5. 438 with grip delivered from great Western cameras in Swindon. Coming tomorrow I hope!

I jumped on the EM5ii bandwagon today. I mooched into the shop. Asked if they'd do any discount or throw something in. Nope! I plopped a small camera pouch on the counter. And said "what about this cheap camera bag? " yeah. OK. So I managed to squeeze something out of it. Body only 1099€.

First impressions. Build quality does not feel any better than the EM5i. The fatter wheels would be the slight exception. I'm impressed with the mini twisty flash. Shutter much quieter. Bigger EVF great. Easy access to HDR, BKT and Mysets. Stupid screen needs to be closed to use the EVF. Tricky to pull out the screen too. Firmware is 1.0. I should have made them upgrade it to the new version in the shop. As the stupid update software won't run on my PC.

Last edited:
Which shop was that

Foto Sauter in Munich Germany. Bunch of tossers.
It's the same price 1099€ everywhere online and in all the physical shops here. But now I've bought it they can go ahead and drop the price. Just like last time.

Last edited:
Oooooo, got home from work to a nice new (well, new to me) shiny E-M1, I must say on first impressions me likey....certainly feels better to hold than the E-M10's I handled. Yes it's a bit bigger but I'm sure I'll get used to it......If I could afford to I'd keep hold of the E-PL5 for when I wanted smaller as well but unfortunately it has to go.

Love that it works so well as a pseudo macro.

I must have missed that, what flash?

Oo, that's a funny looking fella :)

It actually looks like any normal sized bounce and tilt flash. It's just a scaled down, miniature version.

As part of my "spend my way to taking better pictures" methodology, I moved up from an EM5i to the EM5ii yesterday. Now I've only had the mark 2 for less than a day, and I already noticed I'm looking down my nose at those mark 1 owners when they post on here. I mean, just who do they think they are? With their paltry 4000th of a second, and no wifi and their cracked bezels and spongy buttons.

Last edited:
As part of my "spend my way to taking better pictures" methodology, I moved up from an EM5i to the EM5ii yesterday. Now I've only had the mark 2 for less than a day, and I already noticed I'm looking down my nose at those mark 1 owners when they post on here. I mean, just who do they think they are? With their paltry 4000th of a second, and no wifi and their cracked bezels and spongy buttons.

:mooning::p

Back