Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I see already a " could do better" with the AF tracking so it doesn't look like the mk2 offers any improvement over the other oly cameras in that area.

Yes, that's a std critique against M43 (rightly so); why would you expect it to be any different from any of the other OM-D' bodies? I'd expect the E-M1 MKII to address AF tracking and the technology to filter down to subsequent iterations of other OM-D's.

@sdb123 - I'd expect some "addressing" of issues with new releases, yes. It doesn't bother me too much as I have the e-m1 which is better than my old e-m10 so we'll see what 2016 brings

From all I've read it's always been suggested/understood that unless there was a significant need to introduce earlier, the E-M1 MKII would be released in 2016.

I'd seen that too in interviews with senior oly bods. In reality it's a strategy I admire (as opposed to force feeding us yearly updates of little significance) and it shows how well they did with it in the first place. Still doesn't appease the GAS in me though :D

@sdb123 - I'd expect some "addressing" of issues with new releases, yes. It doesn't bother me too much as I have the e-m1 which is better than my old e-m10 so we'll see what 2016 brings

But it would have to be technology-led to address any change...as the camera uses the same technology and therefore system as those before it I find it strange you'd expect it to be different?!

Anyone else seen the new rumor over at 4/3 Rumors for the new Panasonic 100-400 F4-6.3 Power OIS telephone zoom lens (see here http://www.43rumors.com/ ).

Apparently rumored to be available next spring so not far off. This will be M43's first native 800mm (effective) lens (albeit at F6.3). Strange that it seems Panasonic can design, build and (if rumors are to be believed), ship the lens, way before Olympus even announces anything about it's 300mm F4 Pro, which has been doing the circuits for about 2 years now !

Whilst the Panny isn't the fastest lens in the world, if it's priced right and if the OM EM1 MKII comes along with improved resolution and ISO performance, then this could be a birders delight.

After all, as and when the Olympus lens finally does make an appearance, to get to 800mm it will have to have the 1.4 converter from the 40-150 F2.8 Pro attached (I presume it will be the same converter), and that will almost be the same aperture (840mm F5.6 vs 800mm F6.3)

After all, as and when the Olympus lens finally does make an appearance, to get to 800mm it will have to have the 1.4 converter from the 40-150 F2.8 Pro attached (I presume it will be the same converter), and that will almost be the same aperture (840mm F5.6 vs 800mm F6.3)
For the reasons you've stated, I suspect that should now be an if.

I like the fact that the images show it with a dedicated tripod collar, something that the existing 100-300 Panasonic zoom, really could have done with.

I do have to add to the above though that the Panny, which will no doubt be a very good lens, will most probably be plastic construction (not a bad thing in itself), but I have found my Olympus Pro lenses (12-40 F2.8 & 40-150 F2.8), just ooze quality with their metal construction and silky smooth zoom and focus action, so would expect the Olympus Prime to perhaps cost a chunk more money ?

Wish it was - maybe there would be some elephants left in the wild for our children to enjoy in the future - rant over :D

Oh, quick change of tack from the above, a question I've been meaning to ask for ages from the esteemed M43 collective.

Does anyone have a decent explanation, examples and suggestions of what type of scenes to shoot with the Olympus Live Composite settings. The obvious one is fireworks and car light trails, but is there anything else that suits this sort of photography ?

For some strange reason (for what I consider to be an intelligent person), I'm really struggling with this. I'm on a quick week's holiday on Sunday to Majorca and taking both the EM1 and EM5-II, so would like to give it a try if I can think of suitable subjects for it ?

It's great for product photography too as you can light individual parts of the subject with different light, or just use a torch to bring up details in the shadows.

P8310004_v1 by ianp5a, on Flickr

So I went to the travelling Olympus Playground near me. It's on for a month, and features many rooms with art installations to photograph. The have 200 Olympus cameras to lend out for people to try. Including the new E-M10 mark 2. And you get to keep the 4Gb SD Card with the pictures you took. Lots of people to help you. And interactive displays with camera tips for people not familiar with Olympus cameras.

I tried out an E-M1 with 12-40. I guess you could go as many times as you want. So they are trying hard to spread the word.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a decent explanation, examples and suggestions of what type of scenes to shoot with the Olympus Live Composite settings. The obvious one is fireworks and car light trails, but is there anything else that suits this sort of photography ?

If you have something like a Big Stopper you could do some ICM work - one of the exponents of this style is Chris Friel who has been using an Olympus recently so I have been told (by someone who knows him well).

P8310004_v1 by ianp5a, on Flickr

So I went to the travelling Olympus Playground near me. It's on for a month, and features many rooms with art installations to photograph. The have 200 Olympus cameras to lend out for people to try. Including the new E-M10 mark 2. And you get to keep the 4Gb SD Card with the pictures you took. Lots of people to help you. And interactive displays with camera tips for people not familiar with Olympus cameras.

I tried out an E-M1 with 12-40. I guess you could go as many times as you want. So they are trying hard to spread the word.
Sounds good- Where are these happening?
Edit: clicked on the Olympus link and it appears to be Munich or Vienna :( Not very convenient for me in Cambridge then...

Last edited:
Sounds good- Where are these happening?
Edit: clicked on the Olympus link and it appears to be Munich or Vienna :( Not very convenient for me in Cambridge then...
I presume they are touring and will get to various big cities. I'm in Munich. And I get the Olympus newsletter. But that stupidly never mentioned it. I found out through the local Photo Club.

@ianp5a how did you find the e-m1 and 12-40 ? I love mine
It was much the same as my E-M5ii. A bit bulkier perhaps. And the 12-40 all worked as expected. I'll not change my kit.

Last edited:
I love the feel of my OMD-Em1 coupled with the 12-40 Pro, and much prefer it ergonomically to my EM5 II. However, there are so many nice additional features on the EM5 II (electronic silent shutter, better flash, high res shot, better IBIS, articulated screen etc.), that I've found myself using that more than my EM1 recently, which is looking a little forlorn.

15th Nov is release for 300mm F4 so I read... I wait with open arms

Hehe yes.... Long live Chinese stores lets hope it's sub 1500

John Lewis are doing the 45mm F1.8 for 149 with 2years free warranty, Olympus offer 30 quid back on it, not a bad bargain for 120 smackers. Ordered one to stop me buying the Panasonic Nocto well for now anyway....

Ok guys got the 60mm zuiko macro what can I fit to it to get closer.... I see lots of things but need a steer...
Do I use Rokinon x2 thingy me jig, and then the two extension tubes... Just want the option to see the hairs up a flys nose, or just use the x2 telecon on the device as its nearly as good?

Hers is my focus stack from a few weeks ago

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
John Lewis are doing the 45mm F1.8 for 149 with 2years free warranty, Olympus offer 30 quid back on it, not a bad bargain for 120 smackers. Ordered one to stop me buying the Panasonic Nocto well for now anyway....
Has the cashback deal been extended? I thought that ran out on 31st August.

Good point, I didn't check that doh.... Managed to get my 100... I'm sure something will pop up soon...

Did you have to PAN for those or did you just point and click ?

Last edited:
for the blurred background i presume you just shot it at iso 160 or so what Flikr said, you didn't have to follow the car a little to keep it crisp ?

sorry amended it lol

Ah, yes i panned. I shot at iso200, in c-af in shutter priority with the 75-300ii. I could do with a ND8 really as it was pretty sunny so the aperture was f18/f20 at times which is far from ideal for m43.

Yeah know what you mean, look good though.

Ah, yes i panned. I shot at iso200, in c-af in shutter priority with the 75-300ii. I could do with a ND8 really as it was pretty sunny so the aperture was f18/f20 at times which is far from ideal for m43.
Do you use a site that tells you where the events are, i fancy doing a few ?

For all you M43er's out there, when considering a travel kit (lens wise), for the area above 80mm (on my 12-40 F2.8 Olympus), say up to 300 or 400mm, what's the best bang for buck zoom lens.

I know the Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 or the new Olympus 40-150 F2.8 reign supreme, but as this will be an occasional travel lens (where I feel the gap between the 12-40 and my Panasonic 100-300 is a little too large), what do people think. It would seem the choices are:

Panasonic 45-175mm f4.0-5.6 Lumix G X Vario

Panasonic 45-150mm f4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS

Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega O.I.S

Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 Lumix G Vario ASPH OIS

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6

I've discounted the Olympus 75-300 units as I think they are a bit near in FL to my Panasonic 100-300.

Anyone have any experience of the above and can give some advice. Want decent quality (although they won't necessarily be spectacular), fairly light and compact and going as said from about the 40mm ish range to 150-200mm

The above question was asked a few pages back, but very quickly got lost in the discussion around the EM-5 mk II and didn't appear to be answered. I'm in exactly the same boat now, so would be grateful to hear peoples experiences. For what it's worth, I'll be using it on a GX8, so I guess I have a preference to stay with Panny, but optical performance at the long end is very important to me.

Cheers,

Simon.

Bang-for-buck, it's gotta be the Olympus 40-150 (slow one). Because you can pick them up 2nd hand for £70-£80, and that's insane. But depends if you can live without stabilization on Panasonic bodies (except GX7 of course).

Bang-for-buck, it's gotta be the Olympus 40-150 (slow one). Because you can pick them up 2nd hand for £70-£80, and that's insane. But depends if you can live without stabilization on Panasonic bodies (except GX7 of course).

GX8 also has IBIS. Optically, how does that Olympus compare to the Panasonic equivalent? If they're close optically (particularly at the long end), I'd be more tempted by the Panasonic to take advantage of the DFD focusing and the OIS / IBIS combined stabilization that the GX8 offers.

Cheers,

Simon.

The above question was asked a few pages back, but very quickly got lost in the discussion around the EM-5 mk II and didn't appear to be answered. I'm in exactly the same boat now, so would be grateful to hear peoples experiences. For what it's worth, I'll be using it on a GX8, so I guess I have a preference to stay with Panny, but optical performance at the long end is very important to me.

Cheers,

Simon.

Panasonic 45-175mm well worth a look.... Nice size and doesn't extend while zooming.... Not cheap as chips like the Oly 40-150R, but that extra 25mm of reach on m43 is quite a bit of difference.

Back