Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Panasonic 45-175mm well worth a look.... Nice size and doesn't extend while zooming.... Not cheap as chips like the Oly 40-150R, but that extra 25mm of reach on m43 is quite a bit of difference.
But power zoom rather than manual zoom.

Doesn't make it a bad lens though....... you soon get used to the power zoom as long as it isn't as slow as molasses...... :)

Doesn't make it a bad lens though....... you soon get used to the power zoom as long as it isn't as slow as molasses...... :)
Is the zoom quite responsive then? I've not tried it.

Is the zoom quite responsive then? I've not tried it.

I've never actually owned one but have borrowed one for a week and enjoyed it..... I didn't find it slow..... obviously not as quick as a twist of the wrist, but perfectly usable and nice image quality....

Very good cameras mate, I went Olympus because of the Lens choice and the ability for me to switch between Olympus and Panasomic bodies, as I always feel Panasonic lead the way in tech and then the other follow... Having access to both bodies that consume both ,y array of lens was what I wanted.

But the Fuji is very good for APC... What's your dilemma?

Yes when it comes to compactness, Panasonic are up there with Sony. Sadly lenses for APSC panoramic sensors have to be overly large for the same sensor area.

Last edited:
Very good cameras mate, I went Olympus because of the Lens choice and the ability for me to switch between Olympus and Panasomic bodies, as I always feel Panasonic lead the way in tech and then the other follow... Having access to both bodies that consume both ,y array of lens was what I wanted.

But the Fuji is very good for APC... What's your dilemma?

I'm wondering how you got on with the transition from APS-C Fujifilm/ D700 FF to Oly/Pan m43?

I am aware that the sensor is smaller and it'll never be as good as a current FF dslr in high ISO situations, but has the tech caught up for a top of the range 16mp M43 camera to be comparable to a first gen FF sensor ? I know there is more to a camera than the sensor, the AF, metering and lens are other essential components.

I'm wondering how you got on with the transition from APS-C Fujifilm/ D700 FF to Oly/Pan m43?

I am aware that the sensor is smaller and it'll never be as good as a current FF dslr in high ISO situations, but has the tech caught up for a top of the range 16mp M43 camera to be comparable to a first gen FF sensor ? I know there is more to a camera than the sensor, the AF, metering and lens are other essential components.

If I go back and look at my D700 shots the m4/3 hold up very well indeed, not as clean at base ISO but about equal at high ISO and similar latitude for pushing/pulling. In fact it holds up reasonably well against my D610, which I haven't used since I got my EM10 and then EM1.

Ned, Richard,
That's the sort of feedback I'm after. Just to share my experiences, I find my XE1 with the 18-55 2.8-4.5 lens is quite impressive with regards to colour and rendering of the picture. But it isn't as good as my D700 in terms of AF-C and doesn't give the same analogue feel at high ISO, low light situations. In bright and reasonable light, I don't see much difference, apart from depth of field. I can pull more detail out of the raw images, although I normally use jpgs 90% of the time. The ace for the XE1 is weight, oh I do wish the D700 was lighter! My favourite combination in terms of picture taking is the D700 + Nikon 70-200mm VR and that is way too heavy to drag around all day with kids etc.

I think these days a lot of photography is about compromise, usually weight against perceived quality. I don't think there are any bad cameras these days, but of course some are better for the type of photography you do.
However, if you are finding the gear you have is too heavy for a whole family day out, then this is where compromise comes in. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so was forced to move to Olympus due to the weight of the Nikon system I had. I can honestly say that I don't regret it, especially as the number of Olympus lenses increases.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Weight and size is the reason everybody is into m4/3, it's even better than APSC because the lenses are much smaller too (due to the aspect ratio) and I figured that if I need to be looking 100% to be seeing any differences vs. full frame then the quality is more than good enough for my purposes. Add to that the amazing things like live composite and live bulb and it's a winning formula!

It is important to do direct comparison with old cameras as what you tend to remember is how amazed you were at the time (and I was VERY amazed by the D700) as opposed to the absolute performance and how that compares to todays standards.

I'm looking at the whole package, that's why M43, especially the EM1/EM5mk2 are strong contenders. I'd like good general performance and handling plus the capability of going long with the Pany 100-300mm. So I'm looking at the 12-40 f2.8, the long tele mentioned earlier and a bright 45-60mm, something around f1.8 or better.

Last edited:
I must admit, I was at a local event yesterday and I was feeling quite smug with myself carrying my gear in a little man bag while loads of other folk where lugging big have backpacks about :)

I'm looking at the whole package, that's why M43, especially the EM1/EM5mk2 are strong contenders. I'd like good general performance and handling plus the capability of going long with the Pany 100-300mm. So I'm looking at the 12-40 f2.8, the long tele mentioned earlier and a bright 45-60mm, something around f1.8 or better.
I recently sold my 100-300mm, AF drove me up the wall. If you don't need the extra reach then the 40-150mm f4-5.6 is a better performer imo. Obviously if you need the extra reach you don't have a lot of choice, and I did find the IQ of the Panny better than the Olly 75-300mm.

I recently sold my 100-300mm, AF drove me up the wall. If you don't need the extra reach then the 40-150mm f4-5.6 is a better performer imo. Obviously if you need the extra reach you don't have a lot of choice, and I did find the IQ of the Panny better than the Olly 75-300mm.

Snerkler - what problems did you have with it ? The Oly closest equivalent better ?
Thanks

Snerkler - what problems did you have with it ? The Oly closest equivalent better ?
Thanks
AF was slow and hunted a lot, used on my EM5-II. The Olly version was marginally better in this regard but not much in it at all. I did side by side tests and found the Panny sharper at the long end, and not just at pixel level. Plus the Panny is 2/3 brighter. The Olly is lighter, smaller and feels better balanced.

The Panny does give pretty decent shots though providing the light is good. Here's a link to some test shots that I did with mine. They're nothing special, was just going out and trying the lens out.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/sets/72157653551110409

AF was slow and hunted a lot, used on my EM5-II. The Olly version was marginally better in this regard but not much in it at all. I did side by side tests and found the Panny sharper at the long end, and not just at pixel level. Plus the Panny is 2/3 brighter. The Olly is lighter, smaller and feels better balanced.

The Panny does give pretty decent shots though providing the light is good. Here's a link to some test shots that I did with mine. They're nothing special, was just going out and trying the lens out.

The lens looks pretty decent in those, certainly compared to any comparative 600mm. However, most of them look massively over-sharpened...

The lens looks pretty decent in those, certainly compared to any comparative 600mm. However, most of them look massively over-sharpened...
Which ones as they look ok to me? I don't think any have more than 70 applied but I know Flickr adds its own sharpening sometimes.

They don't look oversharpened on my screen. I've been slightly disappointed with my Oly 75-300 at the long end and wondered if the P 100-300 was better, but looking at those there doesn't seem a lot in it. I suppose there's probably as much difference in process variation as there is in the lens design.

I only had access to the FF I never had any, I used my dads 800E and A7II, apart from DOF and,lowlight which everyone bangs on about I honestly couldnt tell, if I peeped at ISO and noise I'd probably see something, but I did loads of test 36meg Nikon vs my Oly and unless I'm cropping I couldn't tell in fact I thought mine were sharper...

I think for convienience lens choice and qualify then you can't go wrong, and so I'm told November the where in for a treat from Olympus in announcements...fingers crossed for the EM1II etc.

Generally the bird shots, which tend to be higher ISO - to me it looks like you've just sharpened then noise.

The squirrel at ISO3200 looks nice and clean though :)

I think for convienience lens choice and qualify then you can't go wrong, and so I'm told November the where in for a treat from Olympus in announcements...fingers crossed for the EM1II etc.

And the 300mm Pro - although I won't hold my breath.

I actually think them EM1ii will be next year - it still rules the M4/3 roost so no real need to launch the new one. Sadly.

Generally the bird shots, which tend to be higher ISO - to me it looks like you've just sharpened then noise.

The squirrel at ISO3200 looks nice and clean though :)
Some of the bird shots are heavy crops which will accentuate the noise.

I think it's sometimes difficult to tell a FF pic from a m4/3 or APS when asked to choose from a random selection tbh, but it's when you use them yourself you see the differences. I see a noticeable difference in my shots taken with the EM5-II and my D750 using comparable lenses. I know this isn't a first gen FF but still ;)

The difference is closing though, a lot.

Snerkler,
They're pretty impressive - so as long as there is enough light for 1/500s or faster and the AF is playing ball, the results are more than acceptable. Were they taken hand held ? What sort of delete to keeps ratio were you getting ?

What's the common consensus on the release date of the EM1 mk2 ? Is it likely to be this year ? I'm more swayed towards the EM5ii rather than the EM1, unless I get the EM1 2nd hand.

I think from all the photos I've seen on flickr and here, the 16Mp sensor with the pro lenses competes favourably with 1st gen FF, at least in the sun, even with my bazooka zoom of a f2.8 lens.

Cheers

Snerkler,
They're pretty impressive - so as long as there is enough light for 1/500s or faster and the AF is playing ball, the results are more than acceptable. Were they taken hand held ? What sort of delete to keeps ratio were you getting ?
As I said, if you get the shot the IQ is very good. It's using the lens which isn't a joy, I just kept ending up getting infuriated with the lens. Keeper rate was OK with S-AF, but with C-AF it was pretty low. Also fps was very slow with the Panny. I've no way of counting how fast, but it was marked how slow it was. Much slower than all of my other m4/3 lenses and much slower than the Olly 75-300mm. I would say fps went down to at least half.

What's the common consensus on the release date of the EM1 mk2 ? Is it likely to be this year ? I'm more swayed towards the EM5ii rather than the EM1, unless I get the EM1 2nd hand.
No idea on the release date. I chose the EM5-II over the EM1 as it suited me better, but that's preference. I don't generally use my m4/3 for tracking stuff as have my D750 for that.

I think from all the photos I've seen on flickr and here, the 16Mp sensor with the pro lenses competes favourably with 1st gen FF, at least in the sun, even with my bazooka zoom of a f2.8 lens.

Cheers
Of course this always comes down to opinion and there's no right or wrong one. I personally find that FF gives more depth/3D to an image, and find that they PP and crop better too.

I'm still thinking about getting the 40-150 Pro....I have the slower version version which I've used 2 or 3 times and the 75-300ii but its so slow that its easy to get to ISO4000 on an overcast day at 300mm.

So i'm wondering it I'd be better with the Pro ( + TC ) and cropping, rather than the longer and slower lens. I don't shoot birds or wildlife so no worries about tracking really as cars are fairly easy

I don't think we'll see the em1 mk2 until this time next year

would the new 300mm do you or is it too long ?

the 40-150 is what i want but id be better served with the new 300mm
the announcement should be good Nov time....

The 300mm would be too restrictive for me - I need the convenience of a zoom.

I've been slightly disappointed with my Oly 75-300 at the long end and wondered if the P 100-300 was better, but looking at those there doesn't seem a lot in it. I suppose there's probably as much difference in process variation as there is in the lens design.

Yes, at the long end of these fairly extreme focal lengths you'll tend to see some softening, it's not possible to fully optimise these lenses without greatly hiking the pricetag, which essentially means going up to the pro graded optics. I frequently use the P 100-300 which in general is a nice sharp lens but loses a little in the last 20mm or thereabouts ( so I tend never to zoom beyond 280). The other downside with both of these lenses is focus accuracy at the long end which can be a little hit and miss and tends to require a more contrasty target and better light than a professional grade lens might. They are really all about size, light weight, and affordability. For more critical work I'll use the 40-150 pro and TC, which is stellar.

As I said, if you get the shot the IQ is very good. It's using the lens which isn't a joy, I just kept ending up getting infuriated with the lens. Keeper rate was OK with S-AF, but with C-AF it was pretty low. Also fps was very slow with the Panny. I've no way of counting how fast, but it was marked how slow it was. Much slower than all of my other m4/3 lenses and much slower than the Olly 75-300mm. I would say fps went down to at least half.

No idea on the release date. I chose the EM5-II over the EM1 as it suited me better, but that's preference. I don't generally use my m4/3 for tracking stuff as have my D750 for that.

Of course this always comes down to opinion and there's no right or wrong one. I personally find that FF gives more depth/3D to an image, and find that they PP and crop better too.

I found raw files from my D700 and my DP2M (as long as it isn't taken above ISO200) are very flexible and I can recover plenty of shadow detail if required, although the Sigma application is so slow, even on an i7 with 8GB of ram.

With regards to the D700, I find that I hardly use it these days, it's nearly always the RX100, X100 or XE1 and latterly a DP2M, but that's solely reserved for near static objects or landscape, as it is, very, very slow. So the Nikon gear is in danger of getting swapped out, which actually brings a tear to my eye, as I've been a Nikon user since my mid 20s, more than half a lifetime so far in fact and 2 lenses have stayed with me through my Nikon body upgrades, a 85mm f1.8 and 20mm f2.8.

If I buy a D750, I'm afraid it won't get used much either.

Woo hoo - massive new Firmware upgrades coming in late November for the EM1 (V4) and EM5 MK II (V2).

For the EM1, it adds :
  • Focus Bracketing,
  • Focus Stacking Mode
  • 4 Colour Focus Peaking,
  • Improved anti shock mode,
  • Full electronic Shutter (up to 1/16,000 sec) from ISO LOW to 3200,
  • Simulated OVF,
  • 4K Time Lapse setting,
  • Menu Position memory (at last)
  • Movie image stabilization with 5-axis IS and digital IS (M-IS1 and M-IS2 supported)
  • Support for 24p (23.98p)/25p Frame Rate
  • Movie Info Display
  • Movie Rec Start with Release Cable (RM-UC1)
  • Support for Time Code Setting
  • Generate Slate Tone
  • Synchronized linear PCM Audio Rec with Movie Rec
  • MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus Disable
  • Support for Live Composite on OI. Share
A number of the above are also added in the EM5 MK II V2 firmware except those features already included in the current release for that camera.

All in all, a massive Firmware upgrade proving yet again that Olympus listens to it's customer base.

For me the only thing I would have liked them to add (being greedy), is the facility to backup user settings to SD card and Movie improvements like the EM5 MK II, however I guess the latter would involve a hardware change ?

Oh, and by the way, this isn't pie in the sky, as it's actually taken from Olympus's own website:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp

Can't wait !

Last edited:
Woo hoo - massive new Firmware upgrades coming in late November for the EM1 (V4) and EM5 MK II (V2).

For the EM1, it adds :
  • Focus Bracketing,
  • Focus Stacking Mode
  • 4 Colour Focus Peaking,
  • Improved anti shock mode,
  • Full electronic Shutter (up to 1/16,000 sec) from ISO LOW to 3200,
  • Simulated OVF,
  • 4K Time Lapse setting,
  • Menu Position memory (at last)
  • Movie image stabilization with 5-axis IS and digital IS (M-IS1 and M-IS2 supported)
  • Support for 24p (23.98p)/25p Frame Rate
  • Movie Info Display
  • Movie Rec Start with Release Cable (RM-UC1)
  • Support for Time Code Setting
  • Generate Slate Tone
  • Synchronized linear PCM Audio Rec with Movie Rec
  • MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus Disable
  • Support for Live Composite on OI. Share
A number of the above are also added in the EM5 MK II V2 firmware except those features already included in the current release for that camera.

All in all, a massive Firmware upgrade proving yet again that Olympus listens to it's customer base.

Oh, and by the way, this isn't pie in the sky, as it's actually taken from Olympus's own website:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp

Can't wait !

Wow!!!

Kudos to Olympus - that's a mega upgrade.

Inbuilt focus stacking? Amazing.
Full electonic shutter presumably means silent shutter?
MF Clutch and snapshot presumably will be very useful for astro

With an upgrade like that it is clear that they have no intention of releasing the EM1ii any time soon - this is almost like a new camera in itself.

Could you honestly see any other manufacturer (Nikon, Canon, Sony etc.), adding that much to a camera since it's release nearly 2 years ago (4 firmware upgrades) ! Minor updates yes, but massive ground breaking ones like these ?

The EM1 just keeps getting better and better. With a feature set like that, the only improvements I could see for an EM1 MK II would be better Video Codecs (maybe 4K movie and image mode), More resolution (20-24mp max) as per GX8. More improvements in AF continuous AF and tracking (getting better all the time). Improved (say 1 stop) ISO performance to put it on a level pegging with the best that APS-C has to offer (the D7200 for instance). Slightly better battery life (maybe a bigger battery but not to make the camera too big). GPS add on via optional battery grip.

M43 with the EM1, EM5 II, EM10 II, Panasonic GX8, GX7, GH4 etc, is certainly coming of age and now offers a rich set of features that the DSLR would could only dream of (Small & light, Live Composite and Live Bulb, world class IBIS, superb touch screens and EVF's etc).

Last edited:
Back