Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Great upgrade indeed, although a number of the interesting ones for me are already on the EM5-II and the one I was most interested in won't be on the EM5-II (focus stacking) :rolleyes: I don't understand this simulated OVF, you lose the benefit of EVF without gaining the optics of OVF :confused:

Last edited:
I think focus stacking (and I could be wrong here), is the camera actually stacking the photos in camera, as under the table on the web page I linked to, this feature is brand new and isn't even on the new OMD EM10 II ?

Focus bracketing is also being added to both the EM1 and the EM5 II (as it is already on the EM10 II).

At least that's how I read it.

Maybe the EM1 has a beefier processor and can handle the computations required that the other cameras can't ?

**edit**

Actually reading the description above the table, the above is exactly what will be happening. So the EM5 II will get focus bracketing (same as Em10 II), but the Em1 (being the top tier camera), also gets focus stacking - a brand new feature and all available in camera !

Last edited:
I don't understand this simulated OVF, you lose the benefit of EVF without gaining the optics of OVF :confused:

Probably just for the die hard DSLR people who just can't appreciate what an EVF can actually do and are sceptical of it ?

That's how I would understand it. They are both true pic VII so don't think it's anything to do with processing power. Probably just olympus wanting to keep some segregation, after all the EM1 is supposed to be the flagship.

Probably just for the die hard DSLR people who just can't appreciate what an EVF can actually do and are sceptical of it ?
I understand that, and I still prefer the OVF on my D750. But the thing is, with the EVF you are still looking at an LCD rather than through optics so is still not going to look like an OVF. Yes they're expanding the DR to simulate a more realistic look, but an LCD will never look the same as looking through optics. So you still have the downside of looking at an LCD which won't please die hard OVF users, and then have no advantages either :confused:

Guess someone must have asked for it ? :D

I'm a happy 5ii owner thrilled about:

Focus Bracketing. Even without "Stacking" it'll be useful. I'd felt a fool getting the 5ii and not waiting for the 10ii.
Custom SCP. If you beg hard enough on forums, wishes can come true!

Simulated OVF? Is this going to be useful? Or is it just to appease those DSLR users who can't handle change? I don't miss my OVF. Is anyone going to use this full time?

This is a big "Screw you" to all E-M5 mark 1 owners who did not upgrade!

Last edited:
I'm a happy 5ii owner thrilled about:

Focus Bracketing. Even without "Stacking" it'll be useful. I'd felt a fool getting the 5ii and not waiting for the 10ii.
Custom SCP. If you beg hard enough on forums, wishes can come true!

Simulated OVF? Is this going to be useful? Or is it just to appease those DSLR users who can't handle change? Is anyone going to use this full time?

This is a big "Screw you" to all E-M5 mark 1 owners who did not upgrade!
Missed the custom SCP, I like the sound of that :)

Custom SCP Oh! Wait a moment! Do you need Olympus Capture Version 1.1 to do this? Is that their flakey PC software? Does it have to be done on a PC?

Also interesting is that they are releasing firmware for the pro lenses, this could also yield improvements in CAF as one of the problems with the 40-150 is that it can stall in close focus when you are trying to acquire initial focus, stopping this would vastly improved the overall experience.

Damn, thats a hell of an upgrade for free - I can see the inbuilt focus stacking being very useful for macro and product shots, I'm curious about the colour peeking too - is that a choice of four colours or four colours in peeking to indicate different levels of focus?

Well, I wish other manufacturers did what Olympus are doing, I know having the EVF really helps with doing software trickery but the same could be done on live view for mainstream DSLRs

Custom SCP Oh! Wait a moment! Do you need Olympus Capture Version 1.1 to do this? Is that their flakey PC software? Does it have to be done on a PC?
That's why I missed it first time round as I skipped past the capture 1 bit. Reading about it it might not be as good as I thought it might. I thought that you would be able to put the functions that you want on the SCP, but reading that sounds to me as though you can only tweak what's already there?

Yes it's not the full custom SCP. Just remove and rearrange. But there is lots that I never use today.
Hopefully the small buttons become larger when there is more space. And maybe we can add the odd new thing.

Last edited:
Could you honestly see any other manufacturer (Nikon, Canon, Sony etc.), adding that much to a camera since it's release nearly 2 years ago (4 firmware upgrades) ! Minor updates yes, but massive ground breaking ones like these ?

Fuji has done some major updates to the X-Pro1 but this is obviously to hold off releasing a new model.

What do they do with the new model though?

Fuji was ahead of Olympus for a while in the upgrade stakes. That must have pressurised Olympus to keep us happy too. This sort of competition has really propelled the CSC offerings way ahead.

Last edited:
Fuji has done some major updates to the X-Pro1 but this is obviously to hold off releasing a new model.

What do they do with the new model though?

A thought occurred to me as I was on the way home from work. Upgrades of this nature are surely eating into potential market share of a new model - giving stuff away for free isn't the usual way of doing things and if they launch the EM1ii then you could make people pay for this kind of functionality. Not that I'm complaining.

The EM1ii must be an awesome piece of kit if Oly are confident they can improve the EM1 to such a level and then still be able to sell the EM1ii. I can't wait!

A thought occurred to me as I was on the way home from work. Upgrades of this nature are surely eating into potential market share of a new model - giving stuff away for free isn't the usual way of doing things and if they launch the EM1ii then you could make people pay for this kind of functionality. Not that I'm complaining.

The EM1ii must be an awesome piece of kit if Oly are confident they can improve the EM1 to such a level and then still be able to sell the EM1ii. I can't wait!
Or if you're sceptical you could say they release tech knowing that the public will test it for them so that can update them to what they should have been when released :whistle:

In all seriousness, it is a good thing but I wouldn't like to say how it impacts on future sales.

They may fear that an aging EM1 may tempt people to upgrade. But as they already have the top model, they'll have to go elsewhere.

For me, it's a welcome upgrade to my e-m1. Now I can concentrate on finding lenses that I can't justify buying

The only thing missing is the blue paint that's worn off one of my buttons....

They may fear that an aging EM1 may tempt people to upgrade. But as they already have the top model, they'll have to go elsewhere.

Maybe, but it seems Oly folks have had the same sensor for so long they've already invested heavily in glass so switching would be pricey, not to mention that the glass is fantastic with little competition.

I want the EM1 even more now! Might trade up to one at christmas and part chop my em10 towards it.

There's one in the classifieds ;)

I was thinking of getting rid of my EM-1, as I also have a 7D ii. I was having difficulty deciding which one to keep. I think this firmware upgrade has helped make up my mind :)

If you were buying your Olympus again - would you choose the E-M1 or the EM-5 mk2?
Assume the EM-5mk2 is £100 more than the E-M1.

I'll be using it with the 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic 20mm, Oly 45mm and a telephoto. Probably Panasonic 100-300mm f5.6, might splash out on the 40-150mm f2.8 with TC if I sell more of my FF gear etc. If the EM-1 mk2 was available, I'd probably go for that.

I'll be buying 2nd hand or new grey import.

I've been lurking at this tread for a while, currently playing with em10 and epl5 in the past. As my hobby in photography turned heavily into people and portraits I start thinking about doing wedding shots. I am currently building my portfolio, mainly family and children pics. I have read many threads about wedding photography and it looks that everybody use DSLRs for it. My first idea was use m43 system as my setup, let say 2 bodies, 2 pro zooms from Oly or Panas,flash guns, fisheye and P25/1.4, but some pro's told me that people may not hire me for the job if they see what gear I'm using (isn't big so it's not pro) even if they like my portfolio. I'm curious what you guys think about it?

If you were buying your Olympus again - would you choose the E-M1 or the EM-5 mk2?
Assume the EM-5mk2 is £100 more than the E-M1.

I'll be using it with the 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic 20mm, Oly 45mm and a telephoto. Probably Panasonic 100-300mm f5.6, might splash out on the 40-150mm f2.8 with TC if I sell more of my FF gear etc. If the EM-1 mk2 was available, I'd probably go for that.

I'll be buying 2nd hand or new grey import.

I bought the EM1 and would again, especially with the newly announced firmware update.

I've been lurking at this tread for a while, currently playing with em10 and epl5 in the past. As my hobby in photography turned heavily into people and portraits I start thinking about doing wedding shots. I am currently building my portfolio, mainly family and children pics. I have read many threads about wedding photography and it looks that everybody use DSLRs for it. My first idea was use m43 system as my setup, let say 2 bodies, 2 pro zooms from Oly or Panas,flash guns, fisheye and P25/1.4, but some pro's told me that people may not hire me for the job if they see what gear I'm using (isn't big so it's not pro) even if they like my portfolio. I'm curious what you guys think about it?

I think it's rubbish talk, people judge on output. It's only other togs who give two hoots about what kit you are using.

That's exactly what I think. I going to build my portfolio using m43 only. I'm hoping to find some pro wedding shooter who allows me to work with him as a second shooter, to build my confidence and gain some experience

nice article here on the focus bracketing and focus stacking features coming to the EM1 with the V4 firmware in November if anyone is interested ?

http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

I only skimmed it but that was very interesting, at this rate I may keep the EM1, sell just the grip and buy back a 60mm macro

..... but some pro's told me that people may not hire me for the job if they see what gear I'm using (isn't big so it's not pro) even if they like my portfolio.....

That's hilarious...... :)

Back