Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Solihull area

M6 north head for the Wirral side of the Dee estuary , another month or so and we will be raptor central for six months

Anyone tried a 7 artisans 7.5mm lens, and if so what correction software?

I used to use the samyang 7.5 and corrected it in LR with the Nikon 10.5 fisheye profile which worked ok

Having trouble deciding on which lens next. Contenders are the 45mm or 75mm primes.

Decisions decisions.

Having trouble deciding on which lens next. Contenders are the 45mm or 75mm primes.

Decisions decisions.

The 75mm looks a beauty, but it's very restrictive. It is a mid tele-photo prime really, not great for anything indoors, and even outside you're going to be a fair distance back even for head shots. I would go for the 45mm every time, and use the change for another lens, or a flash or something else I needed.

The 75mm looks a beauty, but it's very restrictive. It is a mid tele-photo prime really, not great for anything indoors, and even outside you're going to be a fair distance back even for head shots. I would go for the 45mm every time, and use the change for another lens, or a flash or something else I needed.
I have 3 lenses around 75mm, 2 zooms and the 60mm macro which is a pretty great short telephoto as well as a fantastic macro.

I have 3 lenses around 75mm, 2 zooms and the 60mm macro which is a pretty great short telephoto as well as a fantastic macro.

That's all great, but they're not great lenses indoors in tighter spaces. Granted, @Jake didn't tell us what other lenses he has. The 75mm might well be the right option if he already has the wider end covered. I would love the 75mm myself, but I would really only use it outside, you're not getting much outside of head shots indoors, unless you live in a mansion? If you do, then will you buy me one? :D

Not to start an argument...if you’ve not used the 75mm, that’s quite the statement to make!

I have both lenses...whilst the 45mm has lots going for it, price/performance in the main, the 75mm output is fabulous - particularly as a S/H buy. They are fundamentally two different tools though. One side note, if you use the 45mm with extension rings, it makes for a pretty useful macro lens.

As with all prime lenses, it can force you to be more creative...I use the 75mm a LOT more than the 45mm, in fact I can’t remember the last time I used the 45mm - doh! Must remedy that.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about getting a 45...had one when I first entered into m43 world and see to remember it being quite nice.. :thinking:

I'm wondering about getting a 45...had one when I first entered into m43 world and see to remember it being quite nice.. :thinking:

It was the second prime I got. It does give lovely results but I find it too long for most indoor low light use. When I'm out and about in daylight then the 14-42mm EZ almost covers the same length and is usually on the camera already.

I don't post my family portraits but this is what I've done with mine apart from that...
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7E1p

Not sure I'd buy again if I were to somehow lose it, but I won't part with it either :)

Yes i didn't mention what lenses I have as it was just ideas in the sky. Open thoughts. The point is I want both lenses but its a case of which one first. :D

Yes i didn't mention what lenses I have as it was just ideas in the sky. Open thoughts. The point is I want both lenses but its a case of which one first. :D

That’s a very open predicament then...best to narrow it down to what you want to use the lenses for (in an ideal world).

What lens(es) do you currently have? Do you have a zoom that covers both focal lengths? If so, I’d force myself to use each focal length for a period of time to see how you find it.

You could always try out Olympus Test & Wow to try some of the more exotic lenses (I tested the 75mm a few years back prior to buying one).

Currently I have the 12-40 Pro, 7-14 Pro and 17mm f/1.8 - I typically shoot landscape stuff. A Prime is because...well...I love primes :D - I do some city and street style shooting as well, so a long prime would be fun.

I am leaning more toward the 45mm more right now.

So going to try Broadway Tower at night tomorrow.

Weather looks better than tonight so will park the camper just off the road and nip over the fence.

Be nice if the moon makes an appearance too.

Currently I have the 12-40 Pro, 7-14 Pro and 17mm f/1.8 - I typically shoot landscape stuff. A Prime is because...well...I love primes :D - I do some city and street style shooting as well, so a long prime would be fun.

I’m a prime shooter too (predominantly). With your lens line-up I would’ve said the 75mm would be very complimentary...you may have other ideas though.

Not to start an argument...if you’ve not used the 75mm, that’s quite the statement to make!

I have both lenses...whilst the 45mm has lots going for it, price/performance in the main, the 75mm output is fabulous - particularly as a S/H buy. They are fundamentally two different tools though. One side note, if you use the 45mm with extension rings, it makes for a pretty useful macro lens.

As with all prime lenses, it can force you to be more creative...I use the 75mm a LOT more than the 45mm, in fact I can’t remember the last time I used the 45mm - doh! Must remedy that.

I don't have to have used it to know the focal length! Show us a bunch of indoor shots using the 75. It's not ideal for indoors, there's nothing bold about my statement whatsoever. Jake hadn't told us what other lenses he had or what his intended use was - 45 and 75 are very, very different. I know the 75 is a cracking lens because I've seen the reviews, I've seen many sample images etc ... I don't need to have used it to have a say

Last edited:
I’m a prime shooter too (predominantly). With your lens line-up I would’ve said the 75mm would be very complimentary...you may have other ideas though.
75mm would be amazing for the odd portrait I take and some candid street stuff as well. I think the 45mm would give a bit more flexibility. As I mentioned, I want both! It's just a case of picking which one first!

First world problems eh!

This month is a 10 stop filter and lens adapter, will see about a lens next month maybe.

In that case I would go with the 75mm, seems you'll be using it more so outdoors, you already have 40mm, that lens is apparently just as sharp as the 45, the 75mm would be great for candid street shooting, giving you extra distance to capture people without being noticed.

I don't have to have used it to know the focal length! Show us a bunch of indoor shots using the 75. It's not ideal for indoors, there's nothing bold about my statement whatsoever. Jake hadn't told us what other lenses he had or what his intended use was - 45 and 75 are very, very different. I know the 75 is a cracking lens because I've seen the reviews, I've seen many sample images etc ... I don't need to have used it to have a say

I don’t have to post anything thanks...saying it is very restrictive having never used the lens was a bit of a stretch.

A lot of people also say the 45mm is too long for indoor shots....I’d agree but it comes down to requirements and finding the best tool for the job.

Last edited:
I don’t have to post anything thanks...saying it is very restrictive having never the lens was a bit of a stretch.

Right so you have no examples, your quoting me was pointless, all I needed to know. Usually when someone is hailing a lens they like to show examples it's not a big deal. And again, I know the focal length, does the Olympus have a different 75mm to any other 75mm lens? No. I know focal lengths, it is too tight for your average house outside of head shots or close ups of your cat, that is just fact.

I recently bought a 45mm, apart from testing not used it yet, same goes for the other new arrival a 9-18mm.
Seem to have the 15mm f1.7 almost permanently attached apart from a few times the 25mm f1.4 has been used.

The 45mm was cheap enough and haven't got anything else that long, so even if it only gets used a couple of times it doesn't matter

The 12-40 f/2.8 is a very good lens and the 45 f/1.8 will not necessarily outperform it (except of course at f/1.8 - f/2.5).

The 75 f/1.8 would be more complementary to what you already have; OTOH the 45 f/1.8 is much more affordable...

A more versatile option could also be the 40-150 f/2.8 PRO, which is my most used lens but is not that small, light or cheap. It has fantastic IQ though.

My new blank insert for my flight case arrived today, so I started the divorce proceedings between my Olympus and Canon kit prior to selling the Canon.

I really like the flight case as my cameras home base as it's easy to see if everything is there, not left in one of my camera bags.

What really struck me was all the blank space left in it, I have a 7 Artisans 7.5 mm lens on the way, but all that spare space, what can I fill it with?? :eek:

I keep lighting gear/straps/tripod accessories in another smaller case.

IMG_1737 by Pete Banks, on Flickr

My new blank insert for my flight case arrived today, so I started the divorce proceedings between my Olympus and Canon kit prior to selling the Canon.

I really like the flight case as my cameras home base as it's easy to see if everything is there, not left in one of my camera bags.

What really struck me was all the blank space left in it, I have a 7 Artisans 7.5 mm lens on the way, but all that spare space, what can I fill it with?? :eek:

I keep lighting gear/straps/tripod accessories in another smaller case.

IMG_1737 by Pete Banks, on Flickr

I see room enough for a second body ;)

:ROFLMAO:

But c'mon, a dinky little omd 10 mkII, fit right in there snuggly :D
Yea that small and dinky it’s easy to lose , think I have lost mine to the wife :wave: :wave:

Back