Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

It works well. They take your cameras/lenses, put them into rectangular baskets covered in black, give you a receipt and time, and you collect them later. I went on the snow day last year, and didn’t have a problem accessing it, but don’t know how busy this service gets.

Seems that Olympus are offering a free "health check and sensor clean" for users at their Photography Show stall.
No idea how it works, never been before, but can imagine it will be rather popular
Might take my E-M1 along, not sure if I want to lug a camera about there all day, nice offer though
Definitely worth doing. I've done it twice. You drop it off and can pick it up at the end of the day so you don't lug it around. There's often a bit of a queue to drop it off but it's well worth it.

I considered the red dot thing too for my 300mm especially if you put the convertor on it.

I liked the idea of the dot site but don't like how you have to hold the camera and for birds I often pump the shutter so it's not for me .
Rob.
I looked into it and was a little put off by the fact that it's easy to knock the controls and have to realign it again. My friend has one and loves it - I think he tapes his in place, but I've managed to get by. One thing I often do is focus at a distance before I try and lock on to a bird/ kitesurfer, so it's easier to see them in the small field of view.

If you're finding it tricky, and you feel the lens might enjoy a break away from you, send it on a little holiday to Ireland - free room and board here for it as long as it wants to stay :D
I think Clifton Cameras would be very cross if I did that :D- and I would be very poor> . I liked some of the images I downloaded but again, if I am going to be putting something on a tripod, it may also well be my Canon 500f4 ii. I found that wee gadget that I was shown yesterday quite intriguing. It made me feel better that it wasn't just me that found it tricky.

Last edited:
I think Clifton Cameras would be very cross if I did that :D- and I would be very poor> . I liked some of the images I downloaded but again, if I am going to be putting something on a tripod, it may also well be my Canon 500f4 ii. I found that wee gadget that I was shown yesterday quite intriguing. It made me feel better that it wasn't just me that found it tricky.

AH but that was for Snerkler who owns his 100-400, he does seem to be making good use of it though :D

It works well. They take your cameras/lenses, put them into rectangular baskets covered in black, give you a receipt and time, and you collect them later. I went on the snow day last year, and didn’t have a problem accessing it, but don’t know how busy this service gets.
Definitely worth doing. I've done it twice. You drop it off and can pick it up at the end of the day so you don't lug it around. There's often a bit of a queue to drop it off but it's well worth it.

I considered the red dot thing too for my 300mm especially if you put the convertor on it.
Do you know how long it had to be left? I'm interested in doing it, but one of the things I'm looking at at the show is a new rucksack and I kind of need to have the equipment with me to try them out...

Do you know how long it had to be left? I'm interested in doing it, but one of the things I'm looking at at the show is a new rucksack and I kind of need to have the equipment with me to try them out...

From memory it was left about half ten and collected around four. I imagine if you are first in the queue you get a fast turnaround.

I was about the same, but I could have picked it up sooner I’m sure. It will depend on the uptake, but you could always sort the bag first if it’s more important.

Finally used the PL 100-400mm for the purpose I actually bought it for this weekend, which is to say, not birds!

Nice, what’s it like for tracking etc? Mine will be getting a few run outs at Donington this year (y)

Nice, what’s it like for tracking etc? Mine will be getting a few run outs at Donington this year (y)

I found it somewhat frustrating, very difficult at the longer end, to be expected I guess, but I bought it for the longer end as the 40-150mm f/2.8 (+ TC1.4) covers up to 210mm and is simply better in every way, these shots were on a monopod, higher than I'd like shutter, aiming into a corner for head-on shots precisely so as to avoid side on tracking shots.

All in all most of my best shots were 350mm-ish, and I can't help thinking I should've stumped up the extra for the 300mm f/4.

Last edited:
I found it somewhat frustrating, very difficult at the longer end, to be expected I guess, but I bought it for the longer end as the 40-150mm f/2.8 (+ TC1.4) covers up to 210mm and is simply better in every way, these shots were on a monopod, higher than I'd like shutter, aiming into a corner for head-on shots precisely so as to avoid side on tracking shots.

All in all most of my best shots were 350mm-ish, and I can't help thinking I should've stumped up the extra for the 300mm f/4.
What did you find frustrating, allow acquisition, inability to track? Was this on the EM1-II?

Today I made the decision to only run one System and with some regret i’ve decided to run all Fuji. I’ve loved using the Olympus Equipment and it has given me tremendous enjoyment over the last few years but today I’ve dropped it off with WEX and will be adding the New XT3 and 50-140mm f2.8 + 1.4 t/c to my already growing Fuji collection. I will now have all 3 XT camera’s (1,2 & 3) and have primes and telephoto lenses ranging from 10 - 400mm and beyond with the t/c.

I am looking forward to my Fuji journey through 2019.

I would like to thank everyone that has helped when asked and given advise when it was needed and I will still pop in every so often to catch up.

What did you find frustrating, allow acquisition, inability to track? Was this on the EM1-II?

Keeping the damn thing on target (i.e. my lack of skill I guess) but to be fair I had hardly any out of focus shots, focus acquisition is spot on, and the EM1.2 sticks like a limpet most of the time. Just been spoiled by the 40-150mm f/2.8 I guess, it's so much easier to use, need a lot more practise with this lens.

Keeping the damn thing on target (i.e. my lack of skill I guess) but to be fair I had hardly any out of focus shots, focus acquisition is spot on, and the EM1.2 sticks like a limpet most of the time. Just been spoiled by the 40-150mm f/2.8 I guess, it's so much easier to use, need a lot more practise with this lens.
Using long telephotos can be very difficult and frustrating at times, you see something, put the camera up to your eye and then can't find the darned thing. That's why some use that red dot thing, but I think for me I'd find it equally frustrating. I was hoping to go to a motor event today but have been under the weather, dying to try the EM1-II out with panning etc. I wish I could afford the 40-150mm f2.8 too, I think I'd be willing to ditch the Nikon 70-300mm in favour of it if I could.

IME the bottom line is that 400mm just isn't easy to use at all, simply due to the length.

The 210mm of the Pro+tc is just much much much easier to point in the right direction.

Today I made the decision to only run one System and with some regret i’ve decided to run all Fuji. I’ve loved using the Olympus Equipment and it has given me tremendous enjoyment over the last few years but today I’ve dropped it off with WEX and will be adding the New XT3 and 50-140mm f2.8 + 1.4 t/c to my already growing Fuji collection. I will now have all 3 XT camera’s (1,2 & 3) and have primes and telephoto lenses ranging from 10 - 400mm and beyond with the t/c.

I am looking forward to my Fuji journey through 2019.

I would like to thank everyone that has helped when asked and given advise when it was needed and I will still pop in every so often to catch up.

Au revoir!

Enjoy the Fooj :)

I had a walk with the 300mm + 1.4 converter hand held. Tried the tracking focus for birds in flight with mixed results, but probably better than I could have managed with the ordinary C-Af.
This one taken on the BIF settings with tracking on - it landed not too far away and I had seconds! A backlit meadow pippit I think.

190224165614-BC244951.jpg

Love the lighting in that shot Bebop.

Love the lighting in that shot Bebop.
Yes I'd deliberately gone around 4pm in the hope of some nice light and little owls... didn't see any of those :rolleyes: but loads of people in what used to be a quiet spot.
This is almost sooc. I've done some noise reduction and a slight crop and tweak to exposure. ISO 3200. Now I look again - it might have looked better before :coat:

Using long telephotos can be very difficult and frustrating at times, you see something, put the camera up to your eye and then can't find the darned thing. That's why some use that red dot thing, but I think for me I'd find it equally frustrating. I was hoping to go to a motor event today but have been under the weather, dying to try the EM1-II out with panning etc. I wish I could afford the 40-150mm f2.8 too, I think I'd be willing to ditch the Nikon 70-300mm in favour of it if I could.

Yeah, I realise I need lots more practise with this lens, at least I guess I've proven to myself the only problem is behind the camera not in front, the lens takes good enough pictures if used correctly and in the right circumstances! Can't speak highly enough of the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO though, it simply blows everything else out of the water.

Yeah, I realise I need lots more practise with this lens, at least I guess I've proven to myself the only problem is behind the camera not in front, the lens takes good enough pictures if used correctly and in the right circumstances! Can't speak highly enough of the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO though, it simply blows everything else out of the water.
Have you used a 70-200mm f2.8 or f4 on another system? If so how does the 40-150mm compare in terms of speed of acquisition and ability to track? I tried one out the other week but it was pretty static subjects at YWP.

I think it's less about the lens and more about the body that's driving it. The 40-150 F2.8 has by all accounts very fast AF drive motors, but not all bodies can perhaps keep up with the lens. On my OMD-EM1 MK II and Panasonic G9, it's a very fast to focus lens (like instant acquisition), but depending on how you have the AF set up on both cameras and how "busy" the scene is, AF-C Tracking can be a bit hit or miss (but then as I said, I think that's more short comings of the body rather the lens). Be interesting to see how this and the 300mm F4 perform in the real world on the OMD EM1X ?

I know when I ran my Nikon systems, for many years I had the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II, (shortly after it was launched). At the time I was using it on a Nikon D2Xs and a Nikon D200. The AF was good, but was prone to hunting in AF-C on both bodies. Fast forward to last year when I was running my D500 and the same 70-200 was absolutely lightning fast under pretty much all situations and much faster at initial AF acquisition and tracking than either of the two aforementioned bodies.

I think it's less about the lens and more about the body that's driving it. The 40-150 F2.8 has by all accounts very fast AF drive motors, but not all bodies can perhaps keep up with the lens. On my OMD-EM1 MK II and Panasonic G9, it's a very fast to focus lens (like instant acquisition), but depending on how you have the AF set up on both cameras and how "busy" the scene is, AF-C Tracking can be a bit hit or miss (but then as I said, I think that's more short comings of the body rather the lens). Be interesting to see how this and the 300mm F4 perform in the real world on the OMD EM1X ?

I know when I ran my Nikon systems, for many years I had the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II, (shortly after it was launched). At the time I was using it on a Nikon D2Xs and a Nikon D200. The AF was good, but was prone to hunting in AF-C on both bodies. Fast forward to last year when I was running my D500 and the same 70-200 was absolutely lightning fast under pretty much all situations and much faster at initial AF acquisition and tracking than either of the two aforementioned bodies.
Definitely, it’s a combo of the body and lens. I keep considering ditching my Nikon gear for Olympus but there are certain events where AF speed and accuracy are vital.

Im looking forward to getting the EM1X very soon I have the omd mkII and find it a very fast camera with the 300f4 pro and AF-C is really good but does tend to get a few sharp then miss then get more sharp in a burst but over all it does well so to me the new camera just needs to be a little better with AF-C and most say it is now that would make it a great camera .
I do use Canon too and will keep my 400DO mkII for when Canon wake up with a pro type mirrow less :)

Rob.

Im looking forward to getting the EM1X very soon I have the omd mkII and find it a very fast camera with the 300f4 pro and AF-C is really good but does tend to get a few sharp then miss then get more sharp in a burst but over all it does well so to me the new camera just needs to be a little better with AF-C and most say it is now that would make it a great camera .
I do use Canon too and will keep my 400DO mkII for when Canon wake up with a pro type mirrow less :)

Rob.
I find that with the AF-C too, but as I'm shooting at 15fps with electronic shutter it doesn't bother me. I know that I will get some shots in the burst tack sharp and I'm not putting any wear on the shutter. I'll not be able to do this panning shots though due to rolling shutter so I'll have to be a bit more sparing there ;)

I'll not be able to do this panning shots though due to rolling shutter so I'll have to be a bit more sparing there ;)

I find that depends on the subject and the situation.

Electronic shutter, 1/125th of a second.

Electronic shutter, 1/40th of a second.

I rarely have issues with rolling shutter, although it's not unknown, it depends what's in the shot that could give it away, sometimes you'll notice a fence post (or a building) that's leaning a bit when it shouldn't be, but other than that I'm electronic shutter pretty much all the time.

Last edited:
I find that depends on the subject and the situation.

Electronic shutter, 1/125th of a second.

Electronic shutter, 1/40th of a second.

I rarely have issues with rolling shutter, although it's not unknown, it depends what's in the shot that could give it away, sometimes you'll notice a fence post (or a building) that's leaning a bit when it shouldn't be, but other than that I'm electronic shutter pretty much all the time.
That's useful to know, thanks (y)

Is that Theresa May of "simples" fame?

Last edited:
Seems that Olympus are offering a free "health check and sensor clean" for users at their Photography Show stall.
No idea how it works, never been before, but can imagine it will be rather popular
Might take my E-M1 along, not sure if I want to lug a camera about there all day, nice offer though

If you drop it off at the Olympus stand when you arrive and you can pick it up before you leave, can get very busy so the earlier the better.

If you drop it off at the Olympus stand when you arrive and you can pick it up before you leave, can get very busy so the earlier the better.
Might do that then, thank you.
Expect to be there when it opens so should be fairly near the front of the queue.
Found out Panasonic are doing something similar, my GX9 is probably more in need of a wash and brush up

Back