Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I recently returned back to M43 after years of just using a Sony RX100. I've got enough coverage from zooms but I'm looking for that one prime as the generic 'standard prime'. I used M43 from back in the Panasonic g3 era, so I've had both the 20mm 1.7 and the PanaLeica 25mm. The 20mm 1.7 is tempting due to the price but I just can't get on with that focal length, its too inbetween wide and standard for me and the PanaLeica is expensive and my copy wasn't that great.

As I've picked up an Olympus camera this time, I've been thinking the Oly 25mm 1.8 is the logical choice. Is anyone here using it? How'd you find it? I see a lot of reviews online calling it a very average lens. I've also been thinking about the Sigma 30mm 2.8 (I had the 60mm years ago and it was my sharpest prime). Any Sigma 30mm users on here?

There are just so many options for primes in this focal range!

Thanks, Chris.

Not much wrong with the 25mm 1.8 but I never really get very excited about anything 50mm or equivalent. It is a nice enough lens but I much preferred the 17mm 1.8 and the 45mm. Felt more special to me. Always been a big fan of the Panasonic 14mm too.

Here's an album shot with the Oly 25 f/1.8:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151407326@N05/albums/72157700718430991

I think it's pretty sharp - sharper probably than the Oly 17 f/1.8. No complaints from me about this lens.

The Sigma's might be sharper but I believe they are APS-C designs so will probably be much bigger and heavier than the Oly or Panasonic alternatives.

I was just watching that video before I posted, I haven't been keeping up to date with the camera market and just assumed the Sigma 30mm 1.4 would be expensive but I see one on MPB for £214, which isn't far off the Oly 25mm price. That is really tempting.

That's what's great about Sigma, even their 1.4 lenses are very affordable. According to DXOMark the 30mm 1.4 is the third best lens across the board you can get for M43 [though I don't think they have tested the 16 or 56 yet and some say the 16mm is even sharper]

Here's an album shot with the Oly 25 f/1.8:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151407326@N05/albums/72157700718430991

I think it's pretty sharp - sharper probably than the Oly 17 f/1.8. No complaints from me about this lens.

The Sigma's might be sharper but I believe they are APS-C designs so will probably be much bigger and heavier than the Oly or Panasonic alternatives.

They're designed with M43 in mind also, the 16mm is a bit hefty but the others are pretty small.

Great replies everyone. I should mention that I had the 17mm as well for a short period and never enjoyed the focal length (Notice a theme of wider primes and disappointment? I never learn).

I guess it comes down to ; size - Oly 25mm, price - Pana 25mm 1.7 or performance - Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I'll spend some time doing some research, so far that 1.4 Sigma is pulling me in.

Great replies everyone. I should mention that I had the 17mm as well for a short period and never enjoyed the focal length (Notice a theme of wider primes and disappointment? I never learn).

I guess it comes down to ; size - Oly 25mm, price - Pana 25mm 1.7 or performance - Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I'll spend some time doing some research, so far that 1.4 Sigma is pulling me in.

If I didn't own the Olympus 12-40 I'd probably have the Sigma 16 and 30, I'm just a bit anal about doubling up on focal lengths it's one or the other and I like the 12-40 too much :D

Racing season has started for the UK Oval Track Legends (a short oval formula my step-son competes in and that I follow and photograph). First race was at Hednesford on Sunday, and here are a few shots where I've tried to use blur / colour in the background / foreground to add some interest ...

Rolling shutter is evident in a couple of these, those buildings in the background don't lean!

Last edited:
I recently returned back to M43 after years of just using a Sony RX100. I've got enough coverage from zooms but I'm looking for that one prime as the generic 'standard prime'. I used M43 from back in the Panasonic g3 era, so I've had both the 20mm 1.7 and the PanaLeica 25mm. The 20mm 1.7 is tempting due to the price but I just can't get on with that focal length, its too inbetween wide and standard for me and the PanaLeica is expensive and my copy wasn't that great.

As I've picked up an Olympus camera this time, I've been thinking the Oly 25mm 1.8 is the logical choice. Is anyone here using it? How'd you find it? I see a lot of rethviews online calling it a very average lens. I've also been thinking about the Sigma 30mm 2.8 (I had the 60mm years ago and it was my sharpest prime). Any Sigma 30mm users on here?

Thanks, Chris.

I had the 25mm 1.8 and the PL 25mm 1.4
Sold the Olympus, the PL was better in almost every aspect, just size and weight as the cons.
Maybe try to get a better sample, mine is good wide open and carry it with the Olympus 12mm f2.
Those two do me for a light travel kit, have got the 17mm 1.8, but not a focal length that I use or like
17mm is a nice enough lens, I also had the PL 15mm 1.8, another nice lens, but prefer the 12mm focal length

Last edited:
They are nice and sharp Mark, nice set.

As I've picked up an Olympus camera this time, I've been thinking the Oly 25mm 1.8 is the logical choice. Is anyone here using it? How'd you find it? I see a lot of reviews online calling it a very average lens. I've also been thinking about the Sigma 30mm 2.8 (I had the 60mm years ago and it was my sharpest prime). Any Sigma 30mm users on here?

Thanks, Chris.

I've had the o25, p20, pl25 f1.4 and S30 f1.4

Least favourite was the o25 - it was sharp enough but a bit clinical and "meh". The p20 is great for travel due to its size - I've had 2 and sold the last one to see what the fuss is about the pl25 f1.4....another "ok" lens and actually the one that probably disappointed me most due to horrible CA ( of course the reviews all say that so it's no surprise ). Renders beautifully and I doubt you'll lose any money on it.

Loved the S30 f1.4 - I got mine at launch and it was cheap. Downside is its size

All have gone now. In fact, I might be selling my remaining m43 gear ( yes, again ) soon due to lack of use..

Had an unusual problem with the EM1.2 today. Took a sequence of shots, copied them to my computer then deleted the images on the card in camera. Just taken another sequence and they're the same numbers!

Anyone any idea what may have gone wrong?

Had an unusual problem with the EM1.2 today. Took a sequence of shots, copied them to my computer then deleted the images on the card in camera. Just taken another sequence and they're the same numbers!

Anyone any idea what may have gone wrong?

Don't just delete, format the card that might be it. I format the SD card every single time I offload the images from it

Cheers Keith, not sure why ive been deleting, I nearly always format.

I think I've found the problem, there's a locked image on the card, not sure how I did that, and it seems the files are being numbered sequentially from that . So every-time I delete the images, that image remains and subsequent images are numbered from that.

What do EM5 MK2's go for on the secondhand market? Thinking of a change

12-40mm f2.8 too.

Probably best put a thread in the price check forum, otherwise I guess go by MPB/Wex prices and maybe drop a little off to tempt people to buy from you instead.

What are you planning to switch to?

I've had the o25, p20, pl25 f1.4 and S30 f1.4

Least favourite was the o25 - it was sharp enough but a bit clinical and "meh". The p20 is great for travel due to its size - I've had 2 and sold the last one to see what the fuss is about the pl25 f1.4....another "ok" lens and actually the one that probably disappointed me most due to horrible CA ( of course the reviews all say that so it's no surprise ). Renders beautifully and I doubt you'll lose any money on it.

Loved the S30 f1.4 - I got mine at launch and it was cheap. Downside is its size

All have gone now. In fact, I might be selling my remaining m43 gear ( yes, again ) soon due to lack of use..

I think I was the person who sold that 20mm to you years ago!

Decided to go for the Sigma 30mm 1.4. If I'm only buying one prime, it might as well be something special.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

What do EM5 MK2's go for on the secondhand market? Thinking of a change

12-40mm f2.8 too.

Grey 12-40 would fetch about 350-375 and probably about the same or less for the camera.
MPB won't always buy grey and I noticed WEX also saying sourced from outside the EU on their used site.
So presumably they are checking now and prices will no doubt be lower too.

A grey 12-40 is £375 new nowadays, so probably in good condition you would be looking at <£300 for a sale.

A grey 12-40 is £375 new nowadays, so probably in good condition you would be looking at <£300 for a sale.

Where are you finding them at that price? Some people just won't chance buying from the Orient, best I've seen UK is £429 from HDEW.

Still 425 from Hdew, no idea about prices from the return to seller for warranty in HK shops

Absolute seal at that! If you can get it through customs without extra charges, we're not so lucky over here in Ireland, it's a coin flip. If that was stopped you pay an extra £90 or so plus they make you wait weeks at times before releasing it back to you. I've eyed stuff on there many times but always backed out because I was hit by customs a few times in the past.

Not able to walk very far at the moment so had to stay in the car park when I visited Mach Loop, however was very pleased with the AF on the Em-1 MK1 and Panna 100-400, cannot wait to have had the heart op so I can visit there again and try my luck from the hill with this combination.
F15-3.jpg by R Hillman, on Flickr

Last edited:
On the off chance someone might have a 60mm macro they're not using, I have a thread in wanted section, I might just buy a new one but for the right price used ....

On the off chance someone might have a 60mm macro they're not using, I have a thread in wanted section, I might just buy a new one but for the right price used ....
Very rare second hand, found one on mpb a few weeks ago, it may still be there.

Very rare second hand, found one on mpb a few weeks ago, it may still be there.

|Yeah MPB have one but it's more expensive than a new one at HDEW :D

I have seen them go for as little as £200 on here in the past but I guess they were just random chance sales, people looking for quick cash to buy something new. I also have my eye on a Canon 100mm macro, which would have more working distance and double as a nice sharp tele lens when out and about. I don't really need a 60mm for anything much outside of macro as I have the 12-40 already, and 40mm is enough for portraits etc I'll have a ponder and look at some reviews maybe

Cycled to Wimbledon Common Parkrun with my son this morning. After putting several bike locks in my backpack considered leaving the camera at home but ended up dusting off the Oly 75 f/1.8, which made framing a bit more of a challenge. Excellent keeper rate today using mainly CAF, probably due to much better light after the dark winter months.

E-M1II + 75 f/1.8 + CAF:

20190330_093417_198 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

20190330_092342_092 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

|Yeah MPB have one but it's more expensive than a new one at HDEW :D

I have seen them go for as little as £200 on here in the past but I guess they were just random chance sales, people looking for quick cash to buy something new. I also have my eye on a Canon 100mm macro, which would have more working distance and double as a nice sharp tele lens when out and about. I don't really need a 60mm for anything much outside of macro as I have the 12-40 already, and 40mm is enough for portraits etc I'll have a ponder and look at some reviews maybe

The 60 f/2.8 macro is a cracking lens - if you're into macro you will not regret getting it. I has a dial that confused me for a while, but what it does is it sets the magnification to 1:1. Once you've done this, you move the camera until your subject is in focus; this way it's easy to get maximum magnification.

The 60 f/2.8 macro is a cracking lens - if you're into macro you will not regret getting it. I has a dial that confused me for a while, but what it does is it sets the magnification to 1:1. Once you've done this, you move the camera until your subject is in focus; this way it's easy to get maximum magnification.

For 1:1 I always manual focus, using the rocking method, works a treat. Trying to AF on tiny bugs or details on a small flower etc is impossible at the best of times. I have a few ides to ponder on, but it's definitely one on the list

For 1:1 I always manual focus, using the rocking method, works a treat. Trying to AF on tiny bugs or details on a small flower etc is impossible at the best of times. I have a few ides to ponder on, but it's definitely one on the list

I tried the rocking method, the trouble is this old body doesn't stop rocking long enough to hold focus,i even now do something i thought i never would i use the LCD and push the camera out in front of me.

Cycled to Wimbledon Common Parkrun with my son this morning. After putting several bike locks in my backpack considered leaving the camera at home but ended up dusting off the Oly 75 f/1.8, which made framing a bit more of a challenge. Excellent keeper rate today using mainly CAF, probably due to much better light after the dark winter months.

E-M1II + 75 f/1.8 + CAF:

20190330_093417_198 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

20190330_092342_092 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr
I do love that lens! Bought mine second hand. It's silver and I'd much prefer black, but otherwise can't fault it.

Although I often use a monopod with gimbal this one was hand held .
Rob.

In case you hear nothing from that thread, if you can wait a bit... I bought mine new at the Fotofest North at Patchings in the Nottingham area; LCE knocked £ off and there was cashback too. I think the next LCE event is in May in Southampton. It's current price on retailers seems to be around 440. HDEW is 280. If I recall correctly, this was more than I paid last year.

I tried the rocking method, the trouble is this old body doesn't stop rocking long enough to hold focus,i even now do something i thought i never would i use the LCD and push the camera out in front of me.

I was just saying yesterday in another thread that I use the LCD a lot more these days, as they are now good enough to snap focus with and you're getting great detail to preview too. If it works, then all good :) I feel I'm steady enough with the rocking, I hold my breath before clicking the shutter, seems to help a bit more

In case you hear nothing from that thread, if you can wait a bit... I bought mine new at the Fotofest North at Patchings in the Nottingham area; LCE knocked £ off and there was cashback too. I think the next LCE event is in May in Southampton. It's current price on retailers seems to be around 440. HDEW is 280. If I recall correctly, this was more than I paid last year.

I have a few other possibles in mind so it's not a definitive on the 60mm, just if I could get one on the cheap. I've bid on a Raynox locally, had one up until a while back and sorry I sold it. It will turn a tele lens into an insane macro, trickier to use but I've done it many times.

Is it possible to adjust the saturation of individual colours on the OMD-EM1 mk II ? (I see its possible on some models via the colour wheel but cant see how on EM1)

Back