Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've had the 100-400 for three years and used it with the EM1 and EM1 mk2 and never had a problem with what you might call mount shaving. Lens fit to the body is good, the problem I think was with an early batch of lenes .

I never thought it was a lens fault as such, my money was on the O ring on the lens being a fraction on the thick side on a batch,the one i have now was a tight fit on my EM1MK11 but if you pushed the lens towards the body it fitted perfectly.

Coming back to the Olympus 300mm i see Calumet are still listing it, makes me think its a mistake with wex.

.... Calumet are owned by WEX although even after at least 2 years they still haven't managed to coordinate and centralise their systems! :rolleyes: I like WEX but have had nothing but bad experiences with Calumet whom I find grossly inefficient.

I'm going to make a pure guess here and suggest that Olympus have currently not been able to meet demand for their ED 300mm F/4 PRO lens and so the flow in the retail pipelines have been interrupted. It takes time and great skills to manufacture any high standard glass lens. A good honest retailer is not going to pretend to be able to supply and take orders for products which they can't fulfil. When HDEW have periods when they can't supply within 5 days they stop advertising it on their website until it's available again. WEX's statement that it's not going to be restocked is a bit odd and that could be an error or misunderstanding by whoever wrote it.

Only time will tell. Meanwhile I am very glad I bought mine (from HDEW) a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
LCE and park are both showing the 300F4 in stock and with a Black Friday discount.

I think its a problem only on the EM-1 MK2 Chris and after reading some horror stories and seeing some very badly damaged lens mounts, I have decided to stick with Olympus lenses for now, I will keep an eye for a 100-400 and will probably end up owning one, but for now 40-150 will be fine with a TC
Nope, another EM1-II user here who’s not had an issue with the 100-400mm (y)

another fieldfare from yesterday .the mist/thin fog which you obviously can't see is killing these pics and as it doesn't look like clearing this week .. so am going to try using a U/V filter to cut through it later in the week
industrious fieldfares by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

and also lower light levels, high iso's slower shutter speeds....

It was actually far worse than it looks . At least a full stop of pos exp comp was needed to get a decent shot ,and fieldfares are one of worst birds to obtain feather detail from under good conditions .. the best way to judge it in fact is it’s a well known place for them a massive industrial estate , with virtually no traffic on a sunday and I was the only one there normally there’s photographers all over the place .especially with between 300 to 500 birds present

P.s anyone that’s been to my house knows the view I have perched on a hill with nothing in front and views up,down and across the Dee estuary yesterday you could just about see across the road

Last edited:
What makes you think the mist/thin fog is killing your pictures? In some ways these are ideal conditions for photographing birds - very even lighting, no disruptive shadows, low levels of contrast.
and also lower light levels, high iso's slower shutter speeds....

.... I agree with Jerry and I don't like harsh bright sunlight conditions in the middle of the day.

Slower shutter speeds are only a problem if the target moves around a lot. IBIS+IS = 6+ stops on the Olympus PRO system. Whatever the weather and whatever the target subject there is always a compromise. All wildlife photographers would ideally want fast shutter speeds and low ISO.

I like photographing birds in the rain and have been doing so this morning at mostly 1/250s to capture the motion of rain.

It was actually far worse than it looks . At least a full stop of pos exp comp was needed to get a decent shot ,and fieldfares are one of worst birds to obtain feather detail from under good conditions .

.... I usually shoot (M1X) on Manual-mode but recently have switched ISO to Auto with a max threshold of ISO 2000 and S-mode and then use the front wheel for Exposure Compensation (EC), all keeping an eye on the histogram.

Is there any major downside in using EC to adjust the histogram?

.... I usually shoot (M1X) on Manual-mode but recently have switched ISO to Auto with a max threshold of ISO 2000 and S-mode and then use the front wheel for Exposure Compensation (EC), all keeping an eye on the histogram.

Is there any major downside in using EC to adjust the histogram?
Only introducing noise with auto iso ... A lot of peeps recommend ETTR with the olly which cuts down on noise but lowers shutter speeds .its all a compromise

Only introducing noise with auto iso ... A lot of peeps recommend ETTR with the olly which cuts down on noise but lowers shutter speeds .its all a compromise

.... Yep, always a compromise.

I find that Auto ISO tends to select higher values and hence potentially more noise and so I limit the Auto ISO max to 2000, or 1600 if I can, because Topaz DeNoise AI deals with it extremely well in post-processing my RAW files.

.... Yep, always a compromise.

I find that Auto ISO tends to select higher values and hence potentially more noise and so I limit the Auto ISO max to 2000, or 1600 if I can, because Topaz DeNoise AI deals with it extremely well in post-processing my RAW files.
with the light up here of late even 2000iso is not enough .. ,I tend to like choosing a iso level based on the day , a aperture value based on d.o.f and let the camera choose the speed keeping a careful eye on it and the histogram .. of course when a short eared owl pops up the finger just hits the shutter no matter what your set at :runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

Anyone have much experience with the Panasonic 200mmf2.8? Just ordered one for my om-d1mk2.

I have one - it's a tremendous lens. Also great with the 1.4 t/c

Here's a review by David Thorpe:

View: https://youtu.be/xKDwHKOCB10

.... David Thorpe's reviews are excellent. Although I personally have decided to stick with Olympus lenses for my needs this video educated me about the Panasonic Leica differences (and similarities!).

Confirmation of why I moved from big boy Canon (which I still love) to m4/3 Olympus :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmptggyxMM

Having said that, I have kept my Canon mirrorless full-frame EOS-R < At least for now. The Dragonflies will decide!

robin as they say in court , bow street not Wimbledon , milord I rest my case .... omd1-mkii + Panasonic Leica 100-400 hand held

dragons rest by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... That's top notch! A female Common Darter crunching up its prey.

Yes, I know that my Olympus system can deliver the results but I want to experience it firsthand for myself and also I have a need for a second body in the field when targetting some subjects so I can avoid faffing around changing lenses and missing shots and risking debris/weather ingress while faffing.

Ultimately my plan is to have another M1X as my second body with exactly the same customisations and setup. I think that all user settings can be easily duplicated via Olympus Workspace. But first on my shopping list is the forthcoming ED 150-400mm+1.25x PRO lens.

Confirmation of why I moved from big boy Canon (which I still love) to m4/3 Olympus :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmptggyxMM

Having said that, I have kept my Canon mirrorless full-frame EOS-R < At least for now. The Dragonflies will decide!
Exactly the same here. Begrudgingly traded my ageing 1DX and 500mm in. Keeping my EOS R and 100-400mk2 for when I know I'll need the low light performance.

Anyone have much experience with the Panasonic 200mmf2.8? Just ordered one for my om-d1mk2.
I have it and it's a fantastic lens (photo compressed so won't do justice, have a search of Flickr though), mainly used for wildlife but really snappy under floodlights at my son's rugby last week. At the current discounts it could be the most under appreciated M43 lens, a big statement I know.

PA290002.jpg

I have it and it's a fantastic lens (photo compressed so won't do justice, have a search of Flickr though), mainly used for wildlife but really snappy under floodlights at my son's rugby last week. At the current discounts it could be the most under appreciated M43 lens, a big statement I know.

View attachment 261322
I've bought mine used(wex) so I don't have the 1.4 tele. Is it really worth getting?

I've bought mine used(wex) so I don't have the 1.4 tele. Is it really worth getting?

I think it is worth getting it if you can - the extra 80mm (160mm in ff) is then available to you, particularly useful for birds and wildlife, with absolutely microscopic loss of image quality. It's that good.

In short, yes. In longer form, definitely, it was the Lenstip review that sold the combo for me. You end up with a 280mm f/4, so close to the Oly 300 (I know the Oly TCs haven't come into play but more than enough length in reality...). My plan is to acquire the x2 TC at some point, but no rush as I have the 100-400.

or if your on a budget or a pension the Olympus 50-200SWD F2.8-F4 +MMF3 adaptor+EC14 tc. might not be quiet as good but gives the same reach

Sounds good if it all is announced two lenses and a omd1-mkiii

not my best st
ot but it was good to pick up the camera again during a brief 30 minute lull in the weather ,before it closed back in again . hopefully Friday is a better forecast

dont drink and fly by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Hmmmm! well if the rumour mill is correct......................not too long to see what Olympus have to say on the matter :)

PS I do wonder though how this new "lens road map" will differ from the 'current' one???
Umm, hang on, weren't they going broke last week or was that BJ news?

Hmmmm! well if the rumour mill is correct......................not too long to see what Olympus have to say on the matter :)

PS I do wonder though how this new "lens road map" will differ from the 'current' one???

.... Probably more of a confirmation of the 'lens road map' already published but perhaps the addition of the rumoured 100mm(?)[200mm equiv] Macro lens and a more specific timing for the availabilty of the ED 150-400mm+1.25x PRO? < An expected price for this supertelephoto would be a bonus.

Last edited:
Umm, hang on, weren't they going broke last week or was that BJ news?
There were rumours of them going oder which were confirmed as rubbish, however they have said that they are willing to sell the camera department of the company, although this seems to be a bit of a smokescreen to satisfy the investors.
.... Probably more of a confirmation of the 'lens road map' already published but perhaps the addition of the rumoured 100mm(?)[200mm equiv] Macro lens and a more specific timing for the availabilty of the ED 150-400mm+1.25x PRO? < An expected price for this supertelephoto would be a bonus.
There's a rumoured 12-45mm f4 lens. Could make for a good lightweight walk around alternative to the 12-40mm f2.8 and 12-100mm f4. If there is one and it's weather sealed it could certainly have my interest.

Back