Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

A quick question to you guys with the 100-400mm Olympus?

I spotted a thread over on DPReview where a question of whether the LH-76D hood on the 100-400mm would fit the 40-150 with its normal hood LH-76....which as some have experienced can 'explode' because(?) though the design is very clever, it is not the most robust of hoods!!!! Note ~ mine to date has been OK :fingers crossed:

I then found this on the WEX site
"Тhе Оlуmрuѕ LН-76D Lеnѕ hооd hаѕ bееn dеѕіgnеd fоr thе Оlуmрuѕ М.Zuіkо Dіgіtаl ЕD 100-400mm f/5-6.3 ІЅ аnd М.Zuіkо Dіgіtаl ЕD 40-150mm f/2.8 РRО lеnѕеѕ. Іt mіnіmіѕеѕ flаrе vіа dеflесtіng ѕtrау lіght аnd рrеvеntіng іt frоm еntеrіng thе lеnѕ. Аddіtіоnаllу, thе hооd рrоtесtѕ thе lеnѕ frоm ассіdеntаl bumрѕ аnd ѕсrаtсhеѕ. Тhе hооd fеаturеѕ а lосkіng mесhаnіѕm thаt аlѕо рrеvеntѕ unwаntеd dеtасhmеnt."

It is about half the cost of the 'fly apart' LH-76 supplied with the 40-150mm

So, do any of you have both lenses can you confirm that t does indeed fit and can you confirm its operation i.e. it is a sliding one or fixed and if fixed is it reversible for storage?

TIA
Wouldn't this be better in an Olympus thread?

Last edited:
A quick question to you guys with the 100-400mm Olympus?

I spotted a thread over on DPReview where a question of whether the LH-76D hood on the 100-400mm would fit the 40-150 with its normal hood LH-76....which as some have experienced can 'explode' because(?) though the design is very clever, it is not the most robust of hoods!!!! Note ~ mine to date has been OK :fingers crossed:

I then found this on the WEX site
"Тhе Оlуmрuѕ LН-76D Lеnѕ hооd hаѕ bееn dеѕіgnеd fоr thе Оlуmрuѕ М.Zuіkо Dіgіtаl ЕD 100-400mm f/5-6.3 ІЅ аnd М.Zuіkо Dіgіtаl ЕD 40-150mm f/2.8 РRО lеnѕеѕ. Іt mіnіmіѕеѕ flаrе vіа dеflесtіng ѕtrау lіght аnd рrеvеntіng іt frоm еntеrіng thе lеnѕ. Аddіtіоnаllу, thе hооd рrоtесtѕ thе lеnѕ frоm ассіdеntаl bumрѕ аnd ѕсrаtсhеѕ. Тhе hооd fеаturеѕ а lосkіng mесhаnіѕm thаt аlѕо рrеvеntѕ unwаntеd dеtасhmеnt."

It is about half the cost of the 'fly apart' LH-76 supplied with the 40-150mm

So, do any of you have both lenses can you confirm that t does indeed fit and can you confirm its operation i.e. it is a sliding one or fixed and if fixed is it reversible for storage?

TIA

I found the manual and it shows its reversed usage:-

EZ-M1040_MANUAL_MULTI.pdf (olympus.eu)

another fieldfare shot from yesterday

Three cracking shots of a lovely bird Jeff excellent detail. More evidence against getting the EM1x ;)

I found the manual and it shows its reversed usage:-

EZ-M1040_MANUAL_MULTI.pdf (olympus.eu)

I am a little confused about what you are asking but if i have interpreted it right my answer would be that the LH-76 D supplied with the 100-400, fits that lens and reverses for storage. It also fits the 40-150 pro as a hood and it reverses for storage.
Conversely the LH-76 supplied with the 40-150 does not fit the 100-400 because of the unique way that it slides over the 40-150 barrel.
I have both lenses and I have just tried this out.
I hope that this helps.

I am a little confused about what you are asking but if i have interpreted it right my answer would be that the LH-76 D supplied with the 100-400, fits that lens and reverses for storage. It also fits the 40-150 pro as a hood and it reverses for storage.
Conversely the LH-76 supplied with the 40-150 does not fit the 100-400 because of the unique way that it slides over the 40-150 barrel.
I have both lenses and I have just tried this out.
I hope that this helps.

Sorry if my ramblings were not as clear as I should have made them.

The hood on the 40-150mm f2.8 has a small(?) though vocal number of reports of it 'exploding' with its ball bearings & springs flying every which way.

Touch wood mine has survived so far but those that have experienced it have sought alternatives and the possible ones are very limited.

Therefore the fact that Olympus I'm designing the one for the new 100-400mm lens have also made it compatible with the 40-150mm is good especially as it's list price is approx half the cost of its original predecessor.

I can only surmise that the third party manufacturers will be offering their alternatives to the simpler designed 76D because they certainly did not do so for the more complicated 76.

Sorry if my ramblings were not as clear as I should have made them.

The hood on the 40-150mm f2.8 has a small(?) though vocal number of reports of it 'exploding' with its ball bearings & springs flying every which way.

Touch wood mine has survived so far but those that have experienced it have sought alternatives and the possible ones are very limited.

Therefore the fact that Olympus I'm designing the one for the new 100-400mm lens have also made it compatible with the 40-150mm is good especially as it's list price is approx half the cost of its original predecessor.

I can only surmise that the third party manufacturers will be offering their alternatives to the simpler designed 76D because they certainly did not do so for the more complicated 76.

Ironically, on Wex the LH76 is 41.99 and the LH76D is 34.99 - so not as big a difference as thought. But given that the LH76 does have this poor reputation, one might be spending that 41.99 again and again.
i agree with your supposition re third party manufacturers.
Isn't there something on htis long thread about a canon hood fitting it too?

Ironically, on Wex the LH76 is 41.99 and the LH76D is 34.99 - so not as big a difference as thought. But given that the LH76 does have this poor reputation, one might be spending that 41.99 again and again.
i agree with your supposition re third party manufacturers.
Isn't there something on htis long thread about a canon hood fitting it too?

Re: a Canon Hood or its budget alternative....yes, I recall reading about that a while ago. As far as I can recall, the Canon one is like 'hens teeth' and the third party one(s) mentioned are poorly fitting :thinking:

Re: LH hood prices, those are closer than I thought? But yes given the lifespan expected and the delicacy/fragility of the LH-76 I would rather the minor inconvenience of the removal to reverse than the risk the loss of internal bits and paid for repairs of high cost of replacement(s).

purple sandpiper caught in a early morning winter sunbeam a couple of weeks ago
here by the sea and sand ! by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I am humming and hahing about gving M43 (EMiii) another go having flogged my Sony kit earlier this month for Bi-folding doors I apparently needed in our new extension :) Whilst I am more into landscape, architecture etc. I think the detail in your photos and others in this thread show off M43’s capabilities extremely well...

I am humming and hahing about gving M43 (EMiii) another go having flogged my Sony kit earlier this month for Bi-folding doors I apparently needed in our new extension :) Whilst I am more into landscape, architecture etc. I think the detail in your photos and others in this thread show off M43’s capabilities extremely well...
I get on fine with my M4/3 gear for landscapes

Can some confirm, or correct if wrong, my understnding of the IS behaviour when using the Oly 100-400 f5 with an EM1 ii body please.
As I understand it with the Lens IS switch set to ON and the Lens Priority in the menu set to OFF both the Lens IS and IBIS are ON, but work independantly.
If Lens IS switch is OFF Lens Priority in the menu OFF then IBIS only is on.
If Lens IS switch is ON and the Lens Priority in the menu ON then Lens IS only is on.
and,
If Lens IS switch is OFF and the Lens Priority in the menu ON then no IS at all.

A good read from Andy Rouse bird AI .https://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1

Can some confirm, or correct if wrong, my understnding of the IS behaviour when using the Oly 100-400 f5 with an EM1 ii body please.
As I understand it with the Lens IS switch set to ON and the Lens Priority in the menu set to OFF both the Lens IS and IBIS are ON, but work independantly.
If Lens IS switch is ON and the Lens Priority in the menu ON then Lens IS only is on.
and,
If Lens IS switch is OFF and the Lens Priority in the menu ON then no IS at all.
speaking from a few months of trial and error with this its best to leave the lens switched on at all times for best performance turning it on or off in menu makes no noticeable difference . though setting it to lens priority does seem ??? marginally better .whether or not shutter speed changes any of that is also debatable .. but what is important is to ensure camera firmware is totally up to date

one problem I have noticed with the olympus 100-400 as opposed to the PL version is that it tends to creep back unnoticed at times i.e you think your at 400mm and its actually moved back to 375mm or that area .... imho the lock facility should have been at the tele end ..
anyway I have now fitted a lens band to see if that helps/works it certainly does in the house yet to test it in use but I think it will work o.k

one problem I have noticed with the olympus 100-400 as opposed to the PL version is that it tends to creep back unnoticed at times i.e you think your at 400mm and its actually moved back to 375mm or that area .... imho the lock facility should have been at the tele end ..
anyway I have now fitted a lens band to see if that helps/works it certainly does in the house yet to test it in use but I think it will work o.k

.... Really? I wish my Olympus 100-400mm zoom was so loose.

The lock switch option is to maintain the lens being at its smallest/shortest size during travel/walking etc IF desired. To lock it at the max telephoto end would not make sense. However, to be able to lock it at any of its zoom extensions, like Canon L telephoto zooms, would be the most useful. I think you can lock it anywhere on the Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x but I haven't checked.

and,

.... Just leave IS switched ON on both body and lens. IF you feel the need to switch IS to OFF do so on the lens only. The rest is taken care of. No need to overthink it.

Absolute proof if any further is needed, that the Olympus Pro gear, including the ED 100-400mm, are fully weathersealed. Out all day in wet-n-muddy conditions, a diamond studded Rock Pipit :

A DIAMOND STUDDED ROCK PIPIT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Absolute proof if any further is needed, that the Olympus Pro gear, including the ED 100-400mm, are fully weathersealed. Out all day in wet-n-muddy conditions, a diamond studded Rock Pipit :

A DIAMOND STUDDED ROCK PIPIT by Robin Procter, on Flickr
The camera and lens as you have proved many times is fully weather sealed , that’s great for those of us that have 20/20 vision , but I would need windscreen wipers on my specs in the rain so it’s not something I would do by choice .... my point with the lens lock is I HAVE noticed that several times it has crept back from the full reach intended . And as I had a lens band left over from my canon days I am giving it a try ... others might be suffering the same problem but not posting about it robin not everyone is outspoken or posts as often as us ,so this may help them

The camera and lens as you have proved many times is fully weather sealed , that’s great for those of us that have 20/20 vision , but I would need windscreen wipers on my specs in the rain so it’s not something I would do by choice .... my point with the lens lock is I HAVE noticed that several times it has crept back from the full reach intended . And as I had a lens band left over from my canon days I am giving it a try ... others might be suffering the same problem but not posting about it robin not everyone is outspoken or posts as often as us ,so this may help them

.... I agree Jeff. It's a help to everyone if we post our individual findings even if they might sometimes be not matching or even opposite. As in the case of the creeping zoom on your Olympus 100-400mm - I hope I have understood you correctly about it and yours has a tendency to creep, whereas mine doesn't.

Btw, although I wear specs for reading and another pair for driving, I didn't think about having to wear specs in the rain. Doesn't the camera's eye diopterthingy adjustment help? Or not enough perhaps?

Last edited:
.... I agree Jeff. It's a help to everyone if we post our individual findings even if they might sometimes be not matching or even opposite. As in the case of the creeping zoom on your Olympus 100-400mm - I hope I have understood you correctly about it and yours has a tendency to creep, whereas mine doesn't.
No it doesn’t have any tendency’s robin ,it’s probably me moving it in the car hide but it moves to easily so I have introduced a drag stopper if you like to call it that

Re: a Canon Hood or its budget alternative....yes, I recall reading about that a while ago. As far as I can recall, the Canon one is like 'hens teeth' and the third party one(s) mentioned are poorly fitting :thinking:

Re: LH hood prices, those are closer than I thought? But yes given the lifespan expected and the delicacy/fragility of the LH-76 I would rather the minor inconvenience of the removal to reverse than the risk the loss of internal bits and paid for repairs of high cost of replacement(s).

You can use the Canon ET-78 as an alternative hood but it's a little bit loose on the lens.

OTOH my Oly 40-150 f/2.8 lens hood did fall apart (after a lot of use), but Olympus fixed it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.

.... My original Olympus lens hood (40-150mm Pro) burst apart and sprayed its tiny components all over the beach where I was shooting. I replaced it with a third-party version of the Canon hood known to fit and it reverses to store on the lens barrel rather than using any clever sliding mechanisms which are liable to suffer an unscheduled rapid disassembly!

The replacement third-party Fotiox lens hood I bought back in July fits very well and has no looseness.

I posted in this thread giving details but it is some time ago now. I'll post again if I can find it - Found it! :

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-m10-mark-2-owners-thread.395080/post-8749195

But no longer available at Amazon, you'll have to search for the Fotiox product.

Last edited:
not been out since Boxing Day due to circumstances beyond my control .. so heres one from back in September redshank over a flooded marsh at high tide
oh those heady days of good light.. omd1-mkii olympus 100-400 +1.4 tc ...

the whizz o' the marsh by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone have any recomendations for a camera sling to use with an EM1 ii and 100-400 F5.

Anyone have any recomendations for a camera sling to use with an EM1 ii and 100-400 F5.

I use my Black Rapid from when I had my Canon gear.

I have a Wimberley C-12 clamp on it that I attach to the tripod mount on the 300mm or my 40-150mm, this latter lens I had to put an Arca Swiss plate on..... but the 300mm foot is grooved to take the clamp.

HTH perhaps :)

These days I have switched to a peak designs leash , more than adequate ,quick release for when using it in the car hide . Plus every gram of weight carried is a burden. I also have a braided quick release hand strap

Last edited:
Back