Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I tried phoning Olympus camera support to nudge on my email to them.

Turns out that they are only available via email due to Covid restrictions but no mention on the message about Christmas 'closed dates'?

So in the lap of the gods, what with Covid and Christmas, as to when I will get a response.

Not that I want to simply return it for a refund but my order date was 9th December and received on the 19th and surmise the "return period" starts on date of receipt!

I just want a working M1X and based on its condition out of the box, that should be a new re placement one!

.... I'm pretty confident that Olympus will totally understand all of the circumstances in your case and either replace your camera or pay in full for you to have it repaired at AJ Johnstone in Glasgow who are officially approved by Olympus and who you can go to direct and simply as a warranty issue.

@RedRobin I vaguely remember watching a video (possibly the one above) that said Low ISO had it's advantages, but I didn't feel entirely convinced at the time.

Also, I have to admit to having been a bit stupid, and having a moment of revelation this morning. You probably all already know.... when you select auto focus on the 60mm macro lens, turning the focusing ring makes not a jot of difference - you can't 'tweak' the focus manually. You have to have it switched to manual focus to be able to change the focus using the focus ring. This was a complete lightbulb moment for me as Canon macro lenses do not work like this and it caught me out. I know that with other Olympus lenses you either have to set it or pull back the MF clutch, so I think this was just a dim moment.

When I set the 60mm to Manual Focus, I discovered that I can go from about 18" to about 12 feet with 3 quarter turns of the focus ring, which I find completely acceptable.

The other revelation today was that the Canon remote works with both the Em1ii and EM1iii. I thought it didn't work with the mark iii the other day, but I plainly didn't push it in properly.

Let's hope that's the end of my user errors!

@RedRobin I vaguely remember watching a video (possibly the one above) that said Low ISO had it's advantages, but I didn't feel entirely convinced at the time.

Also, I have to admit to having been a bit stupid, and having a moment of revelation this morning. You probably all already know.... when you select auto focus on the 60mm macro lens, turning the focusing ring makes not a jot of difference - you can't 'tweak' the focus manually. You have to have it switched to manual focus to be able to change the focus using the focus ring. This was a complete lightbulb moment for me as Canon macro lenses do not work like this and it caught me out. I know that with other Olympus lenses you either have to set it or pull back the MF clutch, so I think this was just a dim moment.

When I set the 60mm to Manual Focus, I discovered that I can go from about 18" to about 12 feet with 3 quarter turns of the focus ring, which I find completely acceptable.

The other revelation today was that the Canon remote works with both the Em1ii and EM1iii. I thought it didn't work with the mark iii the other day, but I plainly didn't push it in properly.

Let's hope that's the end of my user errors!
If you select AF +MF on the scp it will do both

If you select AF +MF on the scp it will do both
Ah that's brilliant Alf thank you!! I didn't actually have that option in my SCP, but I went into my menu and was able to 'enable' it and now it appears! A hidden gem. I would never have known, so I'm glad I admitted to my stupidity :LOL:

You've got to love Olympus for all the functionality :)

.... Thankyou, I have much more faith in Olympus Visionary Peter Forsgard's explanation and assessment than 'havecamerawilltravel.com'. So I'll continue with L64 and L100 ISO options and see what happens while still keeping half an eye on the histogram as usual.

This was shot ISO-Auto L64 and there is nothing I can see which gives me any concerns. It was shot within one hour after sunrise too :

SURF COMPETING TRIO by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Using the 40-150 Pro to grab some candids of the Granddaughter
EM1 mk3 and eye af, which worked very well indeed.
Some noise reduction from Noiseware
ISO 1600

Phoenix and Nannie.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

.... That Eye AF works perfectly here doesn't it. Nice juxtapositions with the soft and out of focus parts too.

Is it possible to add custom profiles in the e-m10.2 ? Got a hankering for in camera fiddling

edit - I see it is but not sure it as as customisable as I’d like

Have you looked into the Myset feature?
I've never bothered with them on mine but perhaps that's helpful in your situation.

Using the 40-150 Pro to grab some candids of the Granddaughter
EM1 mk3 and eye af, which worked very well indeed.
Some noise reduction from Noiseware
ISO 1600

Phoenix and Nannie.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr
very nice Trev , the skin and hair colours in this look to have come out extremely well

another January shot with the PL lens .. sadly not returned this year so far as I think the olympus lens will do better with them
january skies by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

another January shot with the PL lens .. sadly not returned this year so far as I think the olympus lens will do better with them
january skies by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... The Short-eared Owls haven't returned to my neck of the woods either so far. Will be checking out their usual location in a few days. Rain and wind interferes with their hunting.

.... The Short-eared Owls haven't returned to my neck of the woods either so far. Will be checking out their usual location in a few days. Rain and wind interferes with their hunting.
That I know only to well robin .. deciding whether to erupt or not just seen a post on faceberk encouraging people to visit the local marshes with a couple of shots of shorties implying there about...... . 1 there not there yet ,2 I don’t think you should invite people from out of the area to visit at this moment in tiers time .... As S.e.o always bring in wannabes from far and wide

That I know only to well robin .. deciding whether to erupt or not just seen a post on faceberk encouraging people to visit the local marshes with a couple of shots of shorties implying there about...... . 1 there not there yet ,2 I don’t think you should invite people from out of the area to visit at this moment in tiers time .... As S.e.o always bring in wannabes from far and wide

.... Whether covid or not, that's exactly why I never say their location publicly and also why I don't visit Twatter! I still have an account on Twatter but don't post anything there or even visit.

Whenever a Twitcher or Birder asks me when I'm out whether I have seen the 'rare-and-sought-after-visiting-species' I usually either ignore them or say no but I have seen a Teradactyl - They don't like that.

RR_Charmouth_Teradactyl.jpg

When i go birding i always go alone I am social generally but I don't want to see or talk to anyone while I'm out birding, my favourite place is remote but you still can get the odd person walking passed.
I often just get my phone out and act like I have a call and just nod to them as they approach along with taking a few steps the opposite way they are walking works nearly every time :)

Rob.

Petr Bambousek has posted his Costa Rica trip with the 150-400mm lens and hsi M1X fw v2 insights

OLYMPUS 150-400MM/4.5 TC IN COSTA RICA | Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography (sulasula.com)

The site is in Czech and he is getting it translated but the Google linked translation is still worthwhile reading especially perhaps his v2 firmware thoughts.

Esit ~ he says on the DP Review thread where I found the link, in answer to one poster that he "will not be buying" even the would like one but the cost is not justified and he would rather spend the money another trip to Costa Rica!

Oh, Happy Christmas one & all here on TP :D

Last edited:
Featuring some pics from today, testing out my new 40-150 pro.... It certainly helps in the lower light with the back garden :)

Defiantly going to be a good companion with the Oly 100-400 :)

So i just tried 25 points C-AF tracking set to +1 1/3200 f6.3 iso 800 with the oly 100/400 at 400mm and found it to be more reliable than Bird AI also the sharp shots were sharper than the bird AI sharp shots if that makes sense it still loses focus and then picks it up again but it's always done this .

Bird AI can work but to me it's too frustrating i would rather rely on my ability to track the bird, the Video in Box Brownie's post and the shots show it works well but non of these shots are what i would call testing and i'm sure single point AF would have got them . shot run through Topas.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2kjZcNu

Petr Bambousek has posted his Costa Rica trip with the 150-400mm lens and hsi M1X fw v2 insights

OLYMPUS 150-400MM/4.5 TC IN COSTA RICA | Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography (sulasula.com)

The site is in Czech and he is getting it translated but the Google linked translation is still worthwhile reading especially perhaps his v2 firmware thoughts.

Esit ~ he says on the DP Review thread where I found the link, in answer to one poster that he "will not be buying" even the would like one but the cost is not justified and he would rather spend the money another trip to Costa Rica!

Oh, Happy Christmas one & all here on TP :D

..... Petr Bambousek's photography is beyond words! Utterly stunning and I can understand him preferring to spend his money on another trip and hence life experience in one of his favourite places on the planet.

However, it somehow seems to me that his images shot on the ED 150-400mm have an edge on his others. Or is this my wishful thinking because I have ordered one!? (which I can return if Captain Sensible manages to break out of his locked cupboard).

What would have been a better test of this lens for me would be wildlife images in his wintery Czech homeland and in duller light. The light in most of the places where foreign workshops are hosted are chosen largely for their quality of light and not just wildlife - I know, I have been on a few and am good friends with workshop professional Guy Edwardes.

Everything he says about the design of the lens and its handling confirms what other photographers and reviewers have published and that it's feckin' good!! Roll on January/February!

@Box Brownie, big thanks for posting this.

I think the lens will be fantastic Robin and I really think you will love it even without Bird AI it should bring bird keeper rate up I'm going to wait on this lens and see what the rumoured A9III brings to the table .

Rob.

I think the lens will be fantastic Robin and I really think you will love it even without Bird AI it should bring bird keeper rate up I'm going to wait on this lens and see what the rumoured A9III brings to the table .
Rob.

.... Cheers Rob. I'm not confident in the Olympus Bird AI yet and may find I only use it when the image circumstances look very reliable such as when a habitat is very uncluttered. Petr Bambousek recommends AF Sensitivity as 0 or -1 whereas Jeff @the black fox swears by +2 (IIRC). But as you say, even using without Bird AI I am very likely to love it.

The target range (95% birds) from my kitchen window hide is from approx 20ft to at least 200yds+ and so there are quite often times when I want to mount/unmount my MC-14 on the ED 100-400mm and although it can be done more easily and safely indoors it takes enough time to lose a shot opportunity, whereas switching with a chunky well-positioned lever on the 150-400mm solves that limitation. Plus offering wider apertures to either accommodate less light or increase bokeh. This snap shows my rig in my 'Kitchen Hide' :

Kitchen Hide_4364.jpeg

For those interested, the 'pod' consists of a Jobu Jr-3 DeLuxe gimbal (the smallest gimbal on the market) mounted on a two Naturescape spacers on a Really Right Stuff Levelling head on a PlatyPod. It supported a Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II + Extender without any stability or weight issues. This 'pod' combo is not cheap as chips but serves its purpose exceptionally well and gets a lot of use. It doesn't need the RRS Levelling Head component but I had it left over from when I sold my big Gitzo Series-3 tripod.

Another advantage of the 150-400mm over the 100-400mm will be the Pre-focussed AF spots you can set in the same way as on the Canon Supertelephoto L lenses and that will suit my kitchen hide setup particularly well, as it did with the Canon 500mm.

Last edited:
I seems that AF sensivity is body related. And my settings apply to a omd1-mkii ... not having tried a mkiii or a e.m1x I can’t comment on the settings for them

..... Petr Bambousek's photography is beyond words! Utterly stunning and I can understand him preferring to spend his money on another trip and hence life experience in one of his favourite places on the planet.

However, it somehow seems to me that his images shot on the ED 150-400mm have an edge on his others. Or is this my wishful thinking because I have ordered one!? (which I can return if Captain Sensible manages to break out of his locked cupboard).

What would have been a better test of this lens for me would be wildlife images in his wintery Czech homeland and in duller light. The light in most of the places where foreign workshops are hosted are chosen largely for their quality of light and not just wildlife - I know, I have been on a few and am good friends with workshop professional Guy Edwardes.

Everything he says about the design of the lens and its handling confirms what other photographers and reviewers have published and that it's feckin' good!! Roll on January/February!

@Box Brownie, big thanks for posting this.
I see Petr older shots being not a whole lot different to the new ones, In fact if I saw them side by side I don't think I could tell you which was shot with what lens. He does produce some amazing work and I would imagine a lot of how the final image looks is down to some stunning post production rather then the lens he uses. Given the choice I would go for the best equipment I could afford and that way you can only blame yourself for not getting the results you desire rather then blaming the equipment.

I see Petr older shots being not a whole lot different to the new ones, In fact if I saw them side by side I don't think I could tell you which was shot with what lens. He does produce some amazing work and I would imagine a lot of how the final image looks is down to some stunning post production rather then the lens he uses. Given the choice I would go for the best equipment I could afford and that way you can only blame yourself for not getting the results you desire rather then blaming the equipment.

.... I know you are right about not being able to tell which was shot with what lens in a side by side comparison of his images - I think I am seduced by all (95%+) of Petr's photos and also the exotic subjects and colours. And the lack of obvious difference is another reason why he doesn't necessarily need to move from his Oly ED 100-400mm to the 150-400mm, although the built-in 1.25x must surely be a very valuable advantage plus the F/apertures < Ooops! Here I go again, selling it to myself and trying to justify the price.

Petr's work is something I aspire to and I first came across it shortly before my trip to Greece with friend Guy Edwardes in February 2020. Petr set the bar for me, as does Guy, and I was determined to try my best. I can only show my attempts for others to judge for themselves and to add that this was the first real road-test for me shooting Olympus after Canon Full-Frame. I shot about 3,000 a day for 4 full days. My album on Flickr :

There is no doubt in my mind that good light and highly interesting subjects show off any photographer's and camera's capabilities better. It's why back in the old days a fashion shoot would travel to places as faraway as Israel.

On the subject of camera gear comparison I have posted this before but many pages ago and some reading now may not have seen it, so this pic of Flamingos was shot handheld on my Olympus E-M1X + ED 300mm F/4 Pro + MC-20 and Guy was standing alongside me and shot the same on his Canon 5D4 + EF 600mm + 2x and on tripod. He was at my home a few weeks later with wife Cat (also a very good Canon shooter) and wanted to see my images and particularly that one of the Flamingos. We tease each other at every opportunity but on this one he said he was extremely impressed. I often tease him about when is he going to move to Olympus but it simply doesn't have the range of lenses and bodies which he needs for his commercial work.

GREATER FLAMINGOS COURTING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Guy Edwardes : https://www.guyedwardes.com

I agree about always going for the best you can afford and when I was much younger and fitter I was an amateur bicycle racer and rode Condor custom-built bikes. My race bike was capable of winning the Tour de France, but I wasn't! :LOL:. But I could train on rides of over 100 miles a day and rely on it 100%.

:olympus:

Last edited:
best set so far from you Joe

.... I know you are right about not being able to tell which was shot with what lens in a side by side comparison of his images - I think I am seduced by all (95%+) of Petr's photos and also the exotic subjects and colours. And the lack of obvious difference is another reason why he doesn't necessarily need to move from his Oly ED 100-400mm to the 150-400mm, although the built-in 1.25x must surely be a very valuable advantage plus the F/apertures < Ooops! Here I go again, selling it to myself and trying to justify the price.

Petr's work is something I aspire to and I first came across it shortly before my trip to Greece with friend Guy Edwardes in February 2020. Petr set the bar for me, as does Guy, and I was determined to try my best. I can only show my attempts for others to judge for themselves and to add that this was the first real road-test for me shooting Olympus after Canon Full-Frame. I shot about 3,000 a day for 4 full days. My album on Flickr :

There is no doubt in my mind that good light and highly interesting subjects show off any photographer's and camera's capabilities better. It's why back in the old days a fashion shoot would travel to places as faraway as Israel.

On the subject of camera gear comparison I have posted this before but many pages ago and some reading now may not have seen it, so this pic of Flamingos was shot handheld on my Olympus E-M1X + ED 300mm F/4 Pro + MC-20 and Guy was standing alongside me and shot the same on his Canon 5D4 + EF 600mm + 2x and on tripod. He was at my home a few weeks later with wife Cat (also a very good Canon shooter) and wanted to see my images and particularly that one of the Flamingos. We tease each other at every opportunity but on this one he said he was extremely impressed. I often tease him about when is he going to move to Olympus but it simply doesn't have the range of lenses and bodies which he needs for his commercial work.

GREATER FLAMINGOS COURTING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Guy Edwardes : https://www.guyedwardes.com

I agree about always going for the best you can afford and when I was much younger and fitter I was an amateur bicycle racer and rode Condor custom-built bikes. My race bike was capable of winning the Tour de France, but I wasn't! :LOL:. But I could train on rides of over 100 miles a day and rely on it 100%.

:olympus:
I've just had a look at your Kerkini album and very nice it is too, certainly more impressive than my attempt! I went out on the lake January 13 and the 17th 2020. Did you go out on the boat with Nikos? We might have been on the same outing. This was our third visit to Kerkini and surrounding areas, twice in May which is well worth a visit at that time of year.
The flamingo shot is a cracker, I couldn't get anywhere near them when I tried.....my zoom was a fuji 55-200, so not the best for getting up close.
We would have gone back this coming January if it wasn't for you know what!

I've just had a look at your Kerkini album and very nice it is too, certainly more impressive than my attempt! I went out on the lake January 13 and the 17th 2020. Did you go out on the boat with Nikos? We might have been on the same outing. This was our third visit to Kerkini and surrounding areas, twice in May which is well worth a visit at that time of year.
The flamingo shot is a cracker, I couldn't get anywhere near them when I tried.....my zoom was a fuji 55-200, so not the best for getting up close.
We would have gone back this coming January if it wasn't for you know what!

.... Many thanks for your encouraging compliment - Much appreciated.

I was there on local fisherman Nikos' boat with Guy Edwardes on January 13th but not 17th. My first visit there and I was due to go back to Greece in April but further south, not Lake Kerkini.

I shot with two Olympus E-M1X bodies - One with an ED 40-150mm and the other with either my ED 300mm or 12-40mm mounted. One day I accidentally got a big dollop of soft mud off my boot onto one of my cameras which was on the floor of the boat at my feet ready to use but no problem due to Olympus Pro gear being so well sealed.

The more reports I read on the new bird tracking feature, the more it looks to be, shall we say, less than satisfactory.

View: https://youtu.be/R__DZT7-eAg

.... Same here! And they match my criticisms of the Olympus Bird D&T too.

I find the DPReview Comment forums are mostly a complete waste of time due to keyboard warriors and arguments.

not being plagued with firmware problems I popped out locally once again in search of fieldfares and for the first time this year struck lucky . the wind was blowing the bushes around like mad but I still managed a lot of decent shots hers a starter anyway

the long wait by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

deep cover by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fabulous Jeff! Such a handsome bird.

I just took a browse thru your greece album, some really nice quality shots in there Robin. (y)

A quick question to you guys with the 100-400mm Olympus?

I spotted a thread over on DPReview where a question of whether the LH-76D hood on the 100-400mm would fit the 40-150 with its normal hood LH-76....which as some have experienced can 'explode' because(?) though the design is very clever, it is not the most robust of hoods!!!! Note ~ mine to date has been OK :fingers crossed:

I then found this on the WEX site
"Тhе Оlуmрuѕ LН-76D Lеnѕ hооd hаѕ bееn dеѕіgnеd fоr thе Оlуmрuѕ М.Zuіkо Dіgіtаl ЕD 100-400mm f/5-6.3 ІЅ аnd М.Zuіkо Dіgіtаl ЕD 40-150mm f/2.8 РRО lеnѕеѕ. Іt mіnіmіѕеѕ flаrе vіа dеflесtіng ѕtrау lіght аnd рrеvеntіng іt frоm еntеrіng thе lеnѕ. Аddіtіоnаllу, thе hооd рrоtесtѕ thе lеnѕ frоm ассіdеntаl bumрѕ аnd ѕсrаtсhеѕ. Тhе hооd fеаturеѕ а lосkіng mесhаnіѕm thаt аlѕо рrеvеntѕ unwаntеd dеtасhmеnt."

It is about half the cost of the 'fly apart' LH-76 supplied with the 40-150mm

So, do any of you have both lenses can you confirm that t does indeed fit and can you confirm its operation i.e. it is a sliding one or fixed and if fixed is it reversible for storage?

TIA

Back