Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

anyway another 2020 favourite got them good style after 4 no show/ your 5 minutes late/ dog walkers scared them attempts ... but when I got them it was often to close at times
but well worth it
sandi shores by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

tried all three robin ,the leash is the least intrusive one for olympus bodies and doesn't get in the way as much

.... I have both the Slide and the Leash.

On the Slide I have a Acratech Arca-Swiss Quick Release Clamp which grips the lens collar of lenses mounted on one of my two M1X. I also have two small Lowepro pouches on the strap, one carries 2 spare batteries and the other MC-14/MC-20 Extender or my Olympus TG-6 Tough. A BlackRapid pouch on the back carries tools etc. This same strap ensemble has been great when I had a Canon 1DX-2 + 500mm F/4L II and so weight is not a problem.

Btw, I don't shoot while my camera is on the strap - The strap is just a safe handsfree way to carry on walkabout.

On the Leash I either attach my monopod or my second M1X with either wide-angle or macro rig.

The Slide is worn across my chest from my left shoulder and the Leash is worn across my chest from my right shoulder. I was out all day today from dawn til dusk photographing Kingfishers and other birds along a river and just took one M1X + 100-400mm + MC-14 and the Gitzo GM4562 monopod.

Last edited:
.... Peak Design without any hesitation! I have used others including BlackRapid. PD offer three, the Slide, the Slide Lite, the Leash.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps

Also available from WEX.
tried all three robin ,the leash is the least intrusive one for olympus bodies and doesn't get in the way as much
.... I have both the Slide and the Leash.

On the Slide I have a Acratech Arca-Swiss Quick Release Clamp which grips the lens collar of lenses mounted on one of my two M1X. I also have two small Lowepro pouches on the strap, one carries 2 spare batteries and the other MC-14/MC-20 Extender or my Olympus TG-6 Tough. A BlackRapid pouch on the back carries tools etc. This same strap ensemble has been great when I had a Canon 1DX-2 + 500mm F/4L II and so weight is not a problem.

Btw, I don't shoot while my camera is on the strap - The strap is just a safe handsfree way to carry on walkabout.

On the Leash I either attach my monopod or my second M1X with either wide-angle or macro rig.

The Slide is worn across my chest from my left shoulder and the Leash is worn across my chest from my right shoulder. I was out all day today from dawn til dusk photographing Kingfishers and other birds along a river and just took one M1X + 100-400mm + MC-14 and the Gitzo GM4562 monopod.
Interesting stuff guys. Thanks for posting.
I've just had a look on the PD website.
I think for my Sony A9 and 200-600mm the slide would be more suitable.
What do you think?

Hi Robin,
How do you attach the pouches to the strap at the same time as carrying the camera?
Do the pouches have belt type loops?

Interesting stuff guys. Thanks for posting.
I've just had a look on the PD website.
I think for my Sony A9 and 200-600mm the slide would be more suitable.
What do you think?

..... Only you can decide.

I now shoot Olympus and have shot Canon for years and the Slide is best for distributing weight and not digging into your body because the strap is wider.

The Sony lenses are reputed to be quite heavy.

I think there is only 1lb more with the Sony a9+grip and the EM1X + 150/400 Robin but the balance may be better too I'm still on the fence with the new lens it's so tempting :)

any news on when you will get yours ?

Rob.

Hi Robin,
How do you attach the pouches to the strap at the same time as carrying the camera?
Do the pouches have belt type loops?

.... The Lowepro pouches are designed to fit on straps and belts. They live on my Slide strap all the time but are of course removable. I bought mine from WEX but can't find them on their website to give you a link.

EDIT : @Bobsyeruncle Bob, the Lowepro pouch is product 'Dashpoint 20'. They are very weatherproof < Extensively tested by me! I have one in grey and the other in blue for colour coding so I know which to open up for which contents.

I use a small cable tie to stop the lower pouch slipping down beyond the Slide strap control end and onto where the Acratech Quick Release is attached with the PD Loops.

Acratech A-S QR is expensive but lasts for years! I never have the Slide strap attached when shooting.

PD Loops can be easily attached to the base of the QR clamp.

HTH

Last edited:
another redshank in flight shot from last year (sounds good init) hand held 100-400 +1.4 tc. if you look on flickr you can judge how sharp this combo really is .
the great escape by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think there is only 1lb more with the Sony a9+grip and the EM1X + 150/400 Robin but the balance may be better too I'm still on the fence with the new lens it's so tempting :)

any news on when you will get yours ?
Rob.

.... I'm on a first-ordered-first-served list and don't know if I'll make the first wave of UK stock deliveries *expected end of January or hopefully sometime February. *expected not guaranteed!

I am definitely hot for it with very little doubt in my mind as nearly every time I shoot with my Olympus 100-400mm I am aware of the extra potential which the 150-400mm+1.25x Pro will offer. The main features which I am hot for are :

- The instantly switchable 1.25x whether the MC-14 is additionally mounted or not. My photography subjects have a very real need for this advantage.
- The wider aperture range to accommodate poorer light conditions.
- The choice of instant pre-focus points via any of 4 lens buttons. Same as the Canon EF 500mm F/4L II which I had and loved. This lens will have a lot of use gimbal mounted in my KitchenWindow Hide.

This doesn't mean I am unhappy with my Olympus 100-400mm but only that I seek every advantage I can get to achieve my aspirations. Yeah it's the price of some people's small (and boring!) car but I'm 73yo and want to enjoy my photography to the max while I can.

The M1X + 150-400mm combo will simply replace more exactly what I had with my Canon 1DX-2 + 500mm combo but with very valuable zoom flexibility and less weight and bulk. I think that the Canon Full-Frame image quality I had is superior but only if you pixel peep. The new 150-400mm may make that IQ difference look less, I don't know. But overall I love my Olympus system.

:canon: but now... :olympus:

Last edited:
KINGFISHER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Info on Flickr but please ask if you want to know anything about this photo.

And no, I do not use the Bird AI feature! I find it very frustrating to use and all it guarantees me is that it lowers my hit rate drastically. It's excellent for Detection + Tracking birds in flight though, providing they are in an uncluttered sky. 'AI' Artificial Intelligence is often very far from being intelligent - It's just an option loaded with fairly standard templates to find a match with. I have the same criticism of the Topaz AI products.

Don't buy a M1X just for the AI Detection + Tracking, the camera has some much more valuable features than that.

Last edited:
As you say nice and sharp, was this the Panasonic 100-400 and if so which 1.4 converter ?
no mike the new olympus 100-400 and mc-14

Hi Jeff, how are you finding this lens? Have you posted any shots other than this one? None on your Flickr that i can see.
no nothing yet I have not been taking anything for a bit due to Christmas and other things getting in the way , the joys of a very large family :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Is it my imagination, or is the focus slightly off in this image?
The branch this side of the bird appears to be much sharper than the Kingfisher itself.
I too wouldn't say it is sharp, it has a bit of a strange glow to it.

Robin you list some very good point's there are a lots of gains with it.
Rob.

- The instantly switchable 1.25x whether the MC-14 is additionally mounted or not. My photography subjects have a very real need for this advantage.
- The choice of instant pre-focus points via any of 4 lens buttons. Same as the Canon EF 500mm F/4L II which I had and loved. This lens will have a lot of use gimbal mounted in my KitchenWindow Hide.

nice shot alby

The branch this side of the bird appears to be much sharper than the Kingfisher itself.
got to agree not up to your usual standards robin , looks like a combination of over cropping , and bad n/r with added enhancement on the bird giving it a "glow"

I too wouldn't say it is sharp, it has a bit of a strange glow to it.
The Flickr image is no better.
Very peculiar look to it, I agree about the glowing effect.
First impression was over sharpened, but now I don't know, its just not right.
got to agree not up to your usual standards robin , looks like a combination of over cropping , and bad n/r with added enhancement on the bird giving it a "glow"

.... The original has 'glow' and is a tiny bit soft but hey, I'm not submitting this for a photo competition and I think that some of you are inclined to look at photographs too technically and not as pictures. Photographers, eh? :)

What's the saying? You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter?

.... The original has 'glow' and is a tiny bit soft but hey, I'm not submitting this for a photo competition and I think that some of you are inclined to look at photographs too technically and not as pictures. Photographers, eh? :)

What's the saying? You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter?
Robin no need to go on the defensive , as you say it’s not a competion entry ... but there is definetly something weird about it ... and I don’t think any of the regular posters in this thread who have commented are prone to playing the kings new clothes with comments .take it on the chin and do better next time ,,, LOL. If it wasn’t for the covid crap I would pop down and teach you how to do it properly Rofpmsl

Last edited:
Robin no need to go on the defensive , as you say it’s not a competion entry ... but there is definetly something weird about it ... and I don’t think any of the regular posters in this thread who have commented are prone to playing the kings new clothes with comments .take it on the chin and do better next time ,,, LOL

Or we could start an ‘out of focus’ thread - I’ve got hundreds of images I can post :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The camera and lens as you have proved many times is fully weather sealed , that’s great for those of us that have 20/20 vision , but I would need windscreen wipers on my specs in the rain so it’s not something I would do by choice

.... Visit your local car accessories shop, or shop online, and buy some 'rain-x' anti fogging which is primarily for car glass. Please tell us if it works on specs, it should do.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend applying it to camera lenses or even filters because they have manufacturer's special coatings and there might be an adverse reaction - It's simply not worth the risk!

Last edited:
@RedRobin

Re: 150-400mm

I found ref to this video on DPReview
View: https://youtu.be/UghJpQo_dQY

The thread on DPReview is this one

.... A BIG Thankyou for posting this! Daniel Cox is a very responsible wildlife photographer whose attitudes I strongly agree with regarding disturbing wildlife as little as possible.
His video offers a very objective perspective and does much to convince me that my decision to pre-order is the right decision for me - Subject to actually using it I really can't foresee a reason why I would want to return it and this has been further reinforced. It's going to suit my surf photography well too.

:) (y)

Robin you list some very good point's there are a lots of gains with it.
Rob.

.... Another gain I forgot to add is that Olympus apparently claim that when mounted on the M1X the lens focusses "25% faster than the ED 300mm F/4 Pro". That might not seem that important but every little bit helps.

Back