Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

More than a lens roadmap?

This thread over at DPReview hints/points at a potential encouraging OM-DS future.

The screenshot is of Q3, I wonder what the previous 2 pages were about and indeed the pages to come....and are they going to send the same questionaire to other geography language regions?

I quite like the idea of a 50- 250 F4 zoom. In most situations 500mm (equivalent) is long enough for me and there's always cropping.

Plenty of overlap with the 12 - 100 zoom i already own as well.

I quite like the idea of a 50- 250 F4 zoom. In most situations 500mm (equivalent) is long enough for me and there's always cropping.

Panasonic already make a 50-200 that is supppsed to be very good.
Not really got a use for it, but would still like to give one a try

the 500mm f4 would be a deal breaker for me and if a longer one appeared even better , its pretty obvious that they would be t.c compatible as well .. so despite all the doom and gloom merchants its pretty obvious they are planning ahead still .. current shortages are more than likely down to global chip shortages .... and if you really want to see a company with problems look at comments re-repairs of nikon gear

More than a lens roadmap?

This thread over at DPReview hints/points at a potential encouraging OM-DS future.

The screenshot is of Q3, I wonder what the previous 2 pages were about and indeed the pages to come....and are they going to send the same questionaire to other geography language regions?

.... A pity that an ED 100mm Macro lens isn't listed but has been rumoured.

An Olympus 50-250mm F/4? I doubt if it will be F/4 throughout and what will the MFD be? No, I am more than happy with results I consistently get from my Oly 40-150mm F/2.8 (throughout) Pro + MC-20.

But of course it depends what the individual photographer likes to shoot - Lenses are Horses-for-Courses.

Grasshopper subject distance 0.97 m / 3 ft. Grasshoppers have extremely good eyesight and so you usually need to be able to shoot from a distance. This was zoomed at equivalent of 600mm :

MEADOW GRASSHOPPER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow, that's impressive given the size of the crop. Excellent PP skills.

Thanks.
.... Jeff's @the black fox PP skills are stellar. He actually tutored me by phone a few years ago but he has also mastered new software such as from Topaz which I haven't managed to get on with.

I have been using ON1 NoNoise AI as a CS6 plug-in. The Topaz plug-in doesn't work from within CS6 and therefore undesirably extends my workflow in and out of Capture One basecamp.

I don't care what anyone claims, the Olympus M1X m4/3 sensor does not handle noise as smoothly as my Canon 1DX-2 or EOS-R full-frame bodies did! But I have absolutely no regrets moving from Canon to Olympus and now especially with the big white Oly Star Wars Warrior Weapon.

There is no such thing as the perfect camera! But hey! Just enjoy!

P.S. - Nice Foxy fotos on your Flickr page!

Focus Stacked in-camera M1X + 60mm Macro on monopod.

After not getting on with my Oly 60mm Macro at first and nearly selling it, I persevered after watching some online tutorials and blogs and although I am still critical of the delays due to finding focus, I am still pleased with the results when successful. I could do with more macro reach than 120mm equivalent.

I prefer not to use flash even though I have an Olympus all-weather STF-8 (which I should learn to master!). Personally I find flash rigs cumbersome on walkabout in the field and I don't like all flat black backgrounds in photos.

I find that a monopod is always good to have handy because it both steadies a macro shot where Depth of Focus field is critical and also helps Focus Stacking or Bracketing. Additionally and regardless of weight of lens, it greatly eases holding station while waiting for a wildlife target to improve its pose.

AFTER BREAKFAST! GREEN SHIELD BUG - 5th INSTAR by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I use a Gitzo GM4562 Carbon with long spike foot and RRS Two-Way head with Quick Release lever and giant tilt-lock knob. Ballheads on monopods are a nightmare and a fast and painful finger trap! Mine is not a cheap monopod rig but is compact, sturdy and reliable - It used to support my heavy Canon 1DX-2 + 500mm with no problem at all. Links below :

Last edited:
Looking at the first 3 photos in your link for the MH-01 why would you have the clamp going across rather than in line with the way the lens is pointing .
Just can't work it out Robin .

Rob.

Looking at the first 3 photos in your link for the MH-01 why would you have the clamp going across rather than in line with the way the lens is pointing .
Just can't work it out Robin .

Rob.
.... That is a question for RRS as they are all their own photos of their product. For whatever it's worth, the clamp can be separated and fixed to orientate either way. Also, the RRS head has a base with an Arca-Swiss profile.

Mine is set so the Arca-Swiss clamp bed is in line with the direction of the lens pointing and with Giant Tilt-Lock Knob on my lefthand and Quick Release Lever on my righthand side - All as you quite logically would expect while shooting.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin i just thought i was missing something :)

Rob.

Has any one got an experience with the P12-60 f3.5-f5.6 ? I was thinking about the O12-45 f4 but i think they're similar size, just quite a price difference on the used market

Thanks Robin i just thought i was missing something :)
.... Thinking about it, RRS systemise all their products as much as possible and I wonder if a user might want the option to orientate that head the different way when mounting on their rails, or indeed on any other manufacturer's rails. I'm just guessing out of curiosity. It's not important enough to ask them.

They have just published my review of their Two-Way Head. I'm a bit of a Really Right Stuff fanboy! Doubtless because I genuinely think they produce exactly the right stuff for my needs.

Last edited:
Away at the moment on mic key mouse borrowed wifi

Just for Olympus users' information about repairs :

Olympus picked up my ED 100-400mm via courier from home for repair in their centre in Portugal.

15 days later it arrived there having doubtless being held up by the wretched UK customs people!

3 working days later the repair was complete and it is now being shipped back to me via DHL and is expected here on Friday < Unless of course the feckin' customs people delay it!

When I do have it, I'll check it as in full working order and then offer it for sale because my ED 150-400mm TC Pro makes it redundant.

.... Jeff's @the black fox PP skills are stellar. He actually tutored me by phone a few years ago but he has also mastered new software such as from Topaz which I haven't managed to get on with.

I have been using ON1 NoNoise AI as a CS6 plug-in. The Topaz plug-in doesn't work from within CS6 and therefore undesirably extends my workflow in and out of Capture One basecamp.

I don't care what anyone claims, the Olympus M1X m4/3 sensor does not handle noise as smoothly as my Canon 1DX-2 or EOS-R full-frame bodies did! But I have absolutely no regrets moving from Canon to Olympus and now especially with the big white Oly Star Wars Warrior Weapon.

There is no such thing as the perfect camera! But hey! Just enjoy!

P.S. - Nice Foxy fotos on your Flickr page!
I agree wholeheartedly! I love the detail he squeezes out of each shot.

Thanks. The fox visited our garden a few times (over a few days) a while ago and it was lovely to photograph it stretched out on the lawn. It must be quite tame as it even came up to the window, which is how I got the close up :)

I agree wholeheartedly! I love the detail he squeezes out of each shot.

Thanks. The fox visited our garden a few times (over a few days) a while ago and it was lovely to photograph it stretched out on the lawn. It must be quite tame as it even came up to the window, which is how I got the close up :)
..... I hope you are talking about a red fox with four legs and not the black fox with two legs named Jeff! I would not describe big Jeff @the black fox as "tame"! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I’ve been looking at the EM10 III & IV, I know initially you couldn’t configure the dpad buttons so that you could use them directly to move the AF point but I was wondering if they’ve changed this with a firmware update?

I’ll ask my lad when I get home from hols ,he has just bought a mkiv

I’ve been looking at the EM10 III & IV, I know initially you couldn’t configure the dpad buttons so that you could use them directly to move the AF point but I was wondering if they’ve changed this with a firmware update?

On my E-M10ii you can move the focus point by pressing the D pad - no other buttons required.
You can also move it around with your finger/thumb on the touchscreen while using the EVF if you enable that.
Or using "touch to focus" or "touch to focus and shoot" if you're using the rear screen not the EVF.
The size of the focus area can be varied from small to single, to 9 or the whole lot by using the SCP>focus area>up or down d-pad to change size.

Is that something they removed from the iii and iv?

From the PDF of the Mark iii manual
1630683800841.png

The Mark iv looks slightly different.
1630683939779.png

I guess something you need to try yourself?

Last edited:
On my E-M10ii you can move the focus point by pressing the D pad - no other buttons required.
You can also move it around with your finger/thumb on the touchscreen while using the EVF if you enable that.
Or using "touch to focus" or "touch to focus and shoot" if you're using the rear screen not the EVF.
The size of the focus area can be varied from small to single, to 9 or the whole lot by using the SCP>focus area>up or down d-pad to change size.

Is that something they removed from the iii and iv?

From the PDF of the Mark iii manual
View attachment 328970

The Mark iv looks slightly different.
View attachment 328971

I guess something you need to try yourself?
Yeah with the mark III and IV the dpad now has dedicated functions (ISO etc) and at launch you couldn't change this meaning you had to press a button first to engage the dpad as a controller for the AF position. Whilst it doesn't sound a massive deal I find in use it's a Royal PITA and I keep forgetting meaning that I press a function instead of moving the AF point.

Yeah with the mark III and IV the dpad now has dedicated functions (ISO etc) and at launch you couldn't change this meaning you had to press a button first to engage the dpad as a controller for the AF position. Whilst it doesn't sound a massive deal I find in use it's a Royal PITA and I keep forgetting meaning that I press a function instead of moving the AF point.

I see - now reading those manual pages makes more sense. Looks like you need an initial < button before you can use the D pad.
I guess it's something you could learn to live with but might be irritating.

I often use my M10ii as a snapshot camera - when I'm out with the family and there's no time to consider more than basic framing and getting the camera level or they're around the next corner without me :)
In those circumstances I sometimes find the camera has "remembered" a previous focus group location, even when it's been switched off - so I'm trying to force myself to use the screen or d-pad rather than just press and run on as I've had some odd focus choices!

I don't understand what Olympus are playing at with the M10 line. I'd cheerfully give them several hundred quid to upgrade if there were anything better with the later versions.
Seems to me a used mark ii is still the best bargain of the bunch.

I see - now reading those manual pages makes more sense. Looks like you need an initial < button before you can use the D pad.
I guess it's something you could learn to live with but might be irritating.

I often use my M10ii as a snapshot camera - when I'm out with the family and there's no time to consider more than basic framing and getting the camera level or they're around the next corner without me :)
In those circumstances I sometimes find the camera has "remembered" a previous focus group location, even when it's been switched off - so I'm trying to force myself to use the screen or d-pad rather than just press and run on as I've had some odd focus choices!

I don't understand what Olympus are playing at with the M10 line. I'd cheerfully give them several hundred quid to upgrade if there were anything better with the later versions.
Seems to me a used mark ii is still the best bargain of the bunch.
That's the thing, I never got used to it as it's so ingrained in me to just press the dpad or move the joystick. It's one of the reasons I never got on with the 1" compact cameras as they're the same. I've been looking and the EM5-III is near as damn it as light as the EM10IV so that's an option. I must admit I love the look of the Nikon ZFc, I just can't justify spending too much on a "walking" camera.

Learned gents and ladies , I have bought a yongnuo flash transmitter and flash for my em1x from lce, I was assured it works with panasonic and oly as well as canon , the flash will fire on my Nikon but nothing works on the oly , are there any settings I need to change ?

Well yesterday was a learning curve. I’m used to shooting drag racing with a d500 so my new ( to me, thanks @Dave in Wales ) e-m1.2 was my first time using Olympus for this sport since 2017. The only lens I have with enough reach is a used 40-150R plastic fantastic.

It took me quite a while to get my eye in admittedly. Most panning shots are at 1/60 or slower at the equivalent of 120-180mm and sometimes I feel that the lightness of the lens is actually a downside. The keeper rate was not very high but I believe that if you nail some shots, it’s probably lack of technique so more practice required.

I think I took around 650 shots and used just under 60% of the battery…

Cortina by damianmkv, on Flickr

Anger Management 2 by damianmkv, on Flickr

Crew Killer Pop by damianmkv, on Flickr

ES Motor 911 by damianmkv, on Flickr

Hellfire Racing by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well yesterday was a learning curve. I’m used to shooting drag racing with a d500 so my new ( to me, thanks @Dave in Wales ) e-m1.2 was my first time using Olympus for this sport since 2017. The only lens I have with enough reach is a used 40-150R plastic fantastic.

It took me quite a while to get my eye in admittedly. Most panning shots are at 1/60 or slower at the equivalent of 120-180mm and sometimes I feel that the lightness of the lens is actually a downside. The keeper rate was not very high but I believe that if you nail some shots, it’s probably lack of technique so more practice required.

Nicely done (y)

one from a rather dull week in Yorkshire ,saw a bit of blue sky for about 30 minutes all week . turnstone lurking around the fishing boats on the harbour
harbour hi-lights by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... ALL of these are excellent in my opinion! Very Well Done!

If anyone is thinking of buying either an Olympus ED 100-400mm (unused since fully serviced by Olympus) or an ED 300mm F/4 Pro, I shall be posting them in the TP Classifieds in the next few days. I'll add links in this thread.

My only reason for sale is them being superceded by my ED 150-400mm TC Pro.

spent a afternoon at the national railway museum at York thurs .. got caught in the rush hour on leaving and got this picture of York minster as we drove by from the son in laws car . 1-mkiii + four thirds 18-180 like this lens more every time I use it
drive by shooting at york minster by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

spent a afternoon at the national railway museum at York thurs .. got caught in the rush hour on leaving and got this picture of York minster as we drove by from the son in laws car . 1-mkiii + four thirds 18-180 like this lens more every time I use it
drive by shooting at york minster by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... That's lovely! Great to have kept the towers vertical without distortion. York is a very fine example of late Gothic architecture.

Did you take any photos at the York Railway Museum? I have always wanted to visit as I'm a big steam enthusiast.

Back