Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

.... That's lovely! Great to have kept the towers vertical without distortion. York is a very fine example of late Gothic architecture.

Did you take any photos at the York Railway Museum? I have always wanted to visit as I'm a big steam enthusiast.
Yep loads Robin . Will get round to them later in the week .

That's the thing, I never got used to it as it's so ingrained in me to just press the dpad or move the joystick. It's one of the reasons I never got on with the 1" compact cameras as they're the same. I've been looking and the EM5-III is near as damn it as light as the EM10IV so that's an option. I must admit I love the look of the Nikon ZFc, I just can't justify spending too much on a "walking" camera.

The best camera is the one you haven't bought yet ;)

I guess it depends what lenses you're thinking of if the small weight/size differences stack up vs. the increase in cost etc. We're always chasing that size/performance/cost trade off.
I've always wanted the smallest possible body so I can use the smallest possible package if I want it - but as I seem wedded to the 12-40 PRO these days I could probably go the M5 or M1 without really noticing the bigger body. I've not yet hit the limits of the M10ii, it's me not the camera so I'm content to stick for now.
If it dies I'm not sure what I would go for next.

MPB have several "good" E-M10ii for £165 each.- E-M5 iii start at £734 - with those kind of price differences I'd be tempted by an M10ii and a lens or two.
I guess if by "walking" you mean "getting soaked" you might do better with one of the weathersealed bodies though ;) ?

I guess it depends what lenses you're thinking of if the small weight/size differences stack up vs. the increase in cost etc. We're always chasing that size/performance/cost trade off.
I've always wanted the smallest possible body so I can use the smallest possible package if I want it

.... We are all different, I have tried small cameras such as the Canon M5 and although the image quality it delivered was excellent its small size was not to my liking at all. It's all about ERGONOMICS for me and hence ease of use shooting either landscape or portrait orientation.

I primarily shoot wildlife and surfing subjects and need telephoto reach, hence my favourite rig is a E-M1X either with 150-400mm TC Pro or 40-150mm Pro mounted. I usually have an Olympus TG-6 Tough in my pocket but prefer cameras with viewfinders. I don't care how good mobile phones are nowadays, I hate taking pics with them!

Last edited:

I've always wanted the smallest possible body so I can use the smallest possible package if I want it - but as I seem wedded to the 12-40 PRO these days I could probably go the M5 or M1 without really noticing the bigger body. I've not yet hit the limits of the M10ii, it's me not the camera so I'm content to stick for now.

MPB have several "good" E-M10ii for £165 each.- E-M5 iii start at £734 - with those kind of price differences I'd be tempted by an M10ii and a lens or two.
I guess if by "walking" you mean "getting soaked" you might do better with one of the weathersealed bodies though ;) ?
I was always happy with the EM5-II and EM1/EM1-II, even with my shovel hands. An EM10-II with Panny 12-32mm Pancake would be good for a light “walking camera” and would be much cheaper than the other options. I’ll keep a look out. I was also looking at the Canon G5x-II but it’s too expensive, I wouldn’t buy a compact camera for that kind of money.

I was always happy with the EM5-II and EM1/EM1-II, even with my shovel hands. An EM10-II with Panny 12-32mm Pancake would be good for a light “walking camera” and would be much cheaper than the other options. I’ll keep a look out. I was also looking at the Canon G5x-II but it’s too expensive, I wouldn’t buy a compact camera for that kind of money.

I have taken my Panasonic GX9 all over the place, now has an Olympus 12-45 almost permanently attached to it.
Despite owning an E-M1 ii and a G9 this little camera still gets the most use

I have taken my Panasonic GX9 all over the place, now has an Olympus 12-45 almost permanently attached to it.
Despite owning an E-M1 ii and a G9 this little camera still gets the most use
How do you get on with this combo? I’m in the process of dipping my testing toe back into m4/3 (having left it about 9 years ago) and will soon take possession of a GX9. The Oly 12-45 is on my short list.

How do you get on with this combo? I’m in the process of dipping my testing toe back into m4/3 (having left it about 9 years ago) and will soon take possession of a GX9. The Oly 12-45 is on my short list.

Really well is the answer Stephen, they are a very good combination for a compact and relatively small outfit.
One thing I would say is get the extended eyecup, makes the evf so much nicer to use.
Just back from holiday and most days I used the GX9 combo, one of the photos below as an example.
No processing, resized and compressed to post on here, can't fault it at all

P1015237 1.jpg

Another one from the GX9, he was a rather handsome fellow.
Fairly heavy crop and lost a bit of fine detail with the site compression, still pretty good for an under 400kb photo

P1015229-RW2_DxO_PRIME 3.jpg

Last edited:

Well I'm back in the world of Olympus, bought an EM10-II from HDEW and Panny 12-32mm from MPB, should make for a nice small camera for when I'm out walking the dog etc and want to get a 'grab shot', as good as phones are these days they still don't cut it for me. I think this is a better option for me rather than a 1" type compact as it still feels like a proper camera and not as fiddly.

Well I'm back in the world of Olympus, bought an EM10-II from HDEW and Panny 12-32mm from MPB, should make for a nice small camera for when I'm out walking the dog etc and want to get a 'grab shot', as good as phones are these days they still don't cut it for me. I think this is a better option for me rather than a 1" type compact as it still feels like a proper camera and not as fiddly.

Sounds good. I almost always "take photos when I'm out", not "go out to take photos" so the M10ii suits me :)
Never used the Panasonic 12-32 - I'd like the slightly wider end compared to the Olympus EZ 14-42mm but not sure I'd appreciate losing the longer end.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures esp. how it copes with your dog running about!

Sounds good. I almost always "take photos when I'm out", not "go out to take photos" so the M10ii suits me :)
Never used the Panasonic 12-32 - I'd like the slightly wider end compared to the Olympus EZ 14-42mm but not sure I'd appreciate losing the longer end.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures esp. how it copes with your dog running about!
I had the 12-32mm before, I prefer wider as you do have the option to crop for reach. Plus I prefer the manual zoom.

It’ll not be used for photos of Betty ;)

Looking at the first 3 photos in your link for the MH-01 why would you have the clamp going across rather than in line with the way the lens is pointing .
Just can't work it out Robin .

Rob.
The clamps go accross for L brackets

I see OMDS have updated their roadmap to include a 20mm f1.4 and 40-150 f4 Pro

:thinking: when did that get updated and have you a link, thanks :)

i saw it on their instagram. Link below as i cannot find a direct link

Also popped up on Facebook.

The "official" source is here but there's not a lot more to read just pics of them mounted on an M5iii

The 40-150mm f4 seems a bit of a strange one, it's not as though the f2.8 is heavy. I guess it needs to be much cheaper to appeal to folk.

The 40-150mm f4 seems a bit of a strange one, it's not as though the f2.8 is heavy. I guess it needs to be much cheaper to appeal to folk.

No more of a pro quality pocket size lens to match the E-M5/10 cameras IMO.
The emphasis being on small and light.

I wonder if the smaller lenses will get their own teleconverter

Last edited:
I can see that if it's cheaper, smaller and lighter then the 40-150 PRO f4 to go with the new(ish) 12-45mm f4 would make an attractive proposition to a new user.
As a PRO level bundle with the M5 could be really good.

I imagine that Olympus are counting on the improvements they've made in stabilisation & sensor sensitivity compared to when the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO f2.8 lenses were originally released making up for the slower apertures. The other possibility is that these new standard and telephoto PRO zooms are cheaper to make so the profits are better.

However for the casual user like me - would I pay PRO prices for a constant 40-150 f4 vs. the plastic fantastic 40-150 f4-5.6 ... almost certainly not.

No more of a pro quality pocket size lens to match the E-M5/10 cameras IMO.
The emphasis being on small and light.

I wonder if the smaller lenses will get their own teleconverter

I can see that if it's cheaper, smaller and lighter then the 40-150 PRO f4 to go with the new(ish) 12-45mm f4 would make an attractive proposition to a new user.
As a PRO level bundle with the M5 could be really good.

I imagine that Olympus are counting on the improvements they've made in stabilisation & sensor sensitivity compared to when the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO f2.8 lenses were originally released making up for the slower apertures. The other possibility is that these new standard and telephoto PRO zooms are cheaper to make so the profits are better.

However for the casual user like me - would I pay PRO prices for a constant 40-150 f4 vs. the plastic fantastic 40-150 f4-5.6 ... almost certainly not.
Yeah I guess that makes sense, however if they're going down that route of trying to make the smaller cameras fit the pro range it'd make sense to me (although that doesn't mean a lot ;)) to give the bodies dual card slots. Maybe they should rebrand them "enthusiast" lenses rather than pro ;) :p

Has anyone experience of using either (or both) the Laowa 7.5mm or 10mm on their m4/3?
I've been looking at those too, something pocketable that I can carry around if I need something wider than the 12mm of my zoom lens. The info on the Laowa site is a bit confusing regarding the 7.5mm. It says

"Please note: the 7.5mm f/2 MFT (standard version) has no electronic connections with the drones/gimbals and therefore, there is no electronic control of the aperture or focus. If you hope the metadata can be saved in EXIF, you are suggested to pick the automatic aperture version."

It then has a table listing the non electronic control version of which there's the standard (175g) and lightweight (150g), and then the automatic aperture version which it says is 150g. It seems odd that one with electronic contacts would be the lightest, plus I can't find any other info anywhere that says you can have this lens with electronic contacts. The 10mm does have electronic contacts for definite though.

I'm assuming focus peaking and focus zoom don't work on the version without the electronic contacts? Would they work on the one with?

I had the samyang 7.5mm for a few months ,super sharp lens that although M/F really didn’t need to be adjusted once set as everything from 2inches to infinity was sharp , I only sold mine as it wasn’t getting any use due to covid restrictions .
The really good thing about it is if you p.p in lightroom it has a built in de.fishing profile in l.r lens profiles .. .they can also be bought used on evil bay for around £100 so a good cheap buy

I had the samyang 7.5mm for a few months ,super sharp lens that although M/F really didn’t need to be adjusted once set as everything from 2inches to infinity was sharp , I only sold mine as it wasn’t getting any use due to covid restrictions .
The really good thing about it is if you p.p in lightroom it has a built in de.fishing profile in l.r lens profiles .. .they can also be bought used on evil bay for around £100 so a good cheap buy
I'm not keen on fisheyes tbh, and to "de-fisheye" you're going to lose a lot of pixels :(

I've been looking at those too, something pocketable that I can carry around if I need something wider than the 12mm of my zoom lens. The info on the Laowa site is a bit confusing regarding the 7.5mm. It says

"Please note: the 7.5mm f/2 MFT (standard version) has no electronic connections with the drones/gimbals and therefore, there is no electronic control of the aperture or focus. If you hope the metadata can be saved in EXIF, you are suggested to pick the automatic aperture version."

It then has a table listing the non electronic control version of which there's the standard (175g) and lightweight (150g), and then the automatic aperture version which it says is 150g. It seems odd that one with electronic contacts would be the lightest, plus I can't find any other info anywhere that says you can have this lens with electronic contacts. The 10mm does have electronic contacts for definite though.

I'm assuming focus peaking and focus zoom don't work on the version without the electronic contacts? Would they work on the one with?
No, you would have to manually zoom. I would get the electronically coupled one anyway. The 10mm is the most likely candidate (for now).

No, you would have to manually zoom. I would get the electronically coupled one anyway. The 10mm is the most likely candidate (for now).
I've just been reading online and apparently peaking and focus zoom do work with manual and non electronic lenses but you have to manually enable it rather than it being automatic. TBH though with a lens like this I'd just use the range scale (assuming they're accurate)

I've just been reading online and apparently peaking and focus zoom do work with manual and non electronic lenses but you have to manually enable it rather than it being automatic. TBH though with a lens like this I'd just use the range scale (assuming they're accurate)
If they’re anything like Samyang, the range scale seems to have been painted on with no reference to reality.

Saw the plastic fantastic 40-150mm R for £149 on the Olympus site so was rude not to buy it ;) I know it can be had cheaper used, but for the difference I'd rather have new (y)

Back