Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Around 18mm (ff equivalent) would be ideal, looked at the 7-14 but it's too pricey. If I keep the Sony I'll get the tokina 11-16 so something along those lines

Now I get it. I never think that wide, my brain just can't handle it.

Justa procamerashoo are the cheapest I've seen. The om-d is a great camera and some of the lenses are amazing (45/1.8 for example). The rear screen has such a wide viewing angle it almost doesn't need to tilt.

Major negatives for me are

Smallish viewfinder
Aeb not assignable to fn button
Slightly limited dynamic range compared to best aps-c sensors
Needs grip to be usable for my hand size

None of which stops me enjoying using and getting great results

I never use bracketing so don't really have a clue but could Aeb be assigned to, say, MYSET 2 and selected with a fn button.

It could but I think you have to hold the button down. Could lead to some interesting finger gymnastics.

I only use it for landscapes so its not too big a deal to set it up for a shoot and then disable at the end

Justa

Look at CameraPriceBuster.co.uk for a list of suppliers and best prices. I have just ordered one from Park.

thanks folks - read dodgy things about procamerashop so wouldnt feel to comfortable about buying from them...

I have used Procamershop once with a lens order and i had no problems, Onestop Digital i have used quite a few times in the past and there more expensive but will and do price match Procamerashop ?

If your okay with a import camera.. which is all in english and even has a paper manual :LOL:

vrapan - had a look at SRS and cant see anything ?!

Throttle - thanks thats worth bearing in mind...

Could someone explain exactly which lens you can fit to an OMD ?

Are panasonic lenses a straight fit or do you need an adapter ? If so how much are they ?

thanks

Could someone explain exactly which lens you can fit to an OMD ?

Are panasonic lenses a straight fit or do you need an adapter ? If so how much are they ?

thanks

All m4/3rds designated lenses will fit directly to an OM-D, that includes Panasonic Lumix lenses. I have the 35-100 f/2.8 fitted to mine right now.
There are too many for me to list right at this moment :)

thanks grey top

well thats fantastic - made my mind up, was tempted by the Fuji X-E1 but the lens look limited and pricey,

Panasonic lenses are widely available and cheap so thats fab

thanks grey top

well thats fantastic - made my mind up, was tempted by the Fuji X-E1 but the lens look limited and pricey,

Panasonic lenses are widely available and cheap so thats fab

I went for the OM-D over the X-E1 so I've chosen that route, but just as a note in the lenses, the Fuji lenses are limited in quantity but every one of them is fantastic quality. You pay a similar amount for the same quality in M4/3 lenses.

I went for the OM-D because of the feel of the camera and particularly the auto focus speed in comparison to the X-E1. I don't regret it but I do love the Fuji X series (my other cameras are X10 & x100) and if auto focus speed wasn't important to me because of my kids, it would have been a toss up between the two cameras.

Hmmm ok - focusing speed isn't too important to me as I use my camera for travel

As a matter of interest I'm taking a close look at the X-E1 on Saturday :)

Hmmm ok - focusing speed isn't too important to me as I use my camera for travel

You won't go wrong with either then but I think it might have been the X-E1 if I was in your position.

I just love those fuji lenses, although the Olympus primes are also brilliant.

You won't go wrong with either then but I think it might have been the X-E1 if I was in your position.

I just love those fuji lenses, although the Olympus primes are also brilliant.

but they are very expensive - to me anyway

the olympus would mean that I could try various lenses without spending a fortune :)

Even the OMD is stretching me financially and I would have to get from One Stop Digital...

Or maybe even look at the PL5..

Received the JB grip yesterday. This one.

First impressions are very good. Well-made. Fits precisely. Greatly improves handling, for me anyway. The extra height is welcomed by my pinky and the grip makes holding the camera considerably more secure and comfortable. I don't think it is quite as good as the grip part of the Oly grip but I like the simplicity of it and it is somewhat cheaper.

For info, the Grip and shipping was £40.75 in total but....

... it was sent via USPS which means it arrived via the leeches at Royal Mail who charged £8 to collect £6 of VAT. I don't mind paying the VAT but £8 to RM sticks in the craw a bit.

In total the cost was £54.75, I can live with that (y)

justa1972: I just received a Panasonic 45-150 and I'm very impressed with the quality of the build and IQ. Coupled with the Pana 14-45 (also very good, better than the Pana and Oly 14-42s), I've got all the focal lengths I need covered for very little money - £250 in total. Mind you, when I need a bit more oomph, I also have the 45/1.8 which is a really brilliant lens, and so low cost.

Last edited:
Thanks Lindsay D - I went to a shop today and tried out the OMD and fuji XE1 - really confused now as I preferred the handling of the fuji but prefer the lens selection and wider angle kit lens of the olympus :(

Last edited:
Is there that much difference in the kit lenses?

Remember that the Oly is a x2 crop and the Fuji is x1.5.

Thanks Lindsay D - I went to a shop today and tried out the OMD and fuji XE1 - really confused now as I preferred the handling of the fuji but prefer the lens selection and wider angle kit lens of the olympus :(

The performance of the Fuji is pitiful compared to the OMD. The XE1 was the most disappointing camera I've ever owned, over hyped in every way. I also have a dislike for the X Trans output. But you should always get what suits you rather than what others prefer.

thanks Lindsay - i think the selection of lens available for the Olympus just make it impossible to ignore..

lol fair enough :)

I loved the looks and handling of it - seemed much simpler and well laid out..

Interesting that you have used procamerashop - they are very cheap but wasnt sure it was worth he risk

Well we are all different, and I would agree that everything is simple and the buttons are the right size, but I found the handling (particularly the balance) to be very poor. Even though the camera is fairly lightweight once you put a lens on it becomes front heavy which for me greatly affected how comfortable it was to carry. Even if the balance and handling had been perfect that isn't much compensation for the woeful performance or the rendering of X Trans files. Fuji have really fallen into the "style over substance" trap and are great at bringing half cooked cameras to market.

Procamerashop are very good.

Just checked out your blog again Lindsay. Wood Nymphs - wonderful work. You really show what the OM-D is capable of in skilled hands.

Thank you Paul, it's a very capable system, I think the lenses in particular are very impressive. It's so good not to have to haul a great big DSLR kit around!

Edit: If you're interested in shooting animals, I'm the featured photographer in the July Olympus magazine, where I'll talk about using the OMD for nature and wildlife photography.

Last edited:
Lindsay - what do you think of the 12-50 that comes with the OMD ?

Did think about getting body only and going for the panasonic 14-45 ?

Lindsay - what do you think of the 12-50 that comes with the OMD ?

Did think about getting body only and going for the panasonic 14-45 ?

The 12-50 isn't bad, it's key attributes are down to the good degree of weather sealing and the macro functionality. Optically it's okay but not great. The 14 to 45 is much better in that regard.

I tend to use either the little pancake 14-42 PZ which I find to be quite impressive on the OMD (there are reports of shutter shock on some of the Panasonic bodies) or else I use the Pana 12-35 which is quite heavy and very expensive, but optically superb. If getting the 12 to 50 with the camera is only costing you a marginal sum and I think it's probably worth having, but otherwise you might be better off trying to get a good deal on the body only and then getting one of the better lenses.

I must warn you, once you get going on the Micro 4/3 lenses it's a slippery slope!

thanks for the advice :)

I've sold all my Nikon gear so the decisions been made - just trying to decide where to buy the OMD from..

I was wondering about the 14-42pz, might keep my eye out for one. Like the idea of a really compact zoom. I have to say I dont think any camera I have owned up to now has made me smile more.

Back