Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Just swapped an X-E1 for an OM-D, mainly to have a more flexible option for family days out. Any tips or tricks for setting it up, particularly a way of making the focus box smaller?

As far as i know there is no way of making the focus box smaller thats one of the things the X-E1 features that the OM-D does not as far as i know :(

As far as i know there is no way of making the focus box smaller thats one of the things the X-E1 features that the OM-D does not as far as i know :(

It's one feature I would love on Olympus bodies, Panasonic's allow you to change the size.

I found that by using the touch screen (tap to focus rather than shoot) I can choosw from x5 to x14. It then stays for the next shot, can also control it with the 4 way pad for evf use (box sometimes skips a pot or two but it is fairly usable), looks ok as a workaround....

I found that by using the touch screen (tap to focus rather than shoot) I can choosw from x5 to x14. It then stays for the next shot, can also control it with the 4 way pad for evf use (box sometimes skips a pot or two but it is fairly usable), looks ok as a workaround....

That is basically the way although you don't need to use the touch screen, I have it programmed to one of the function buttons, you can then scroll through x5 to x14 using the thumb-wheel.
For tight focus I have it left on x14 so essentially it's a single button press.

Great, that's really useful as I would miss that option. Only had 10 minutes out with it so far, here's a couple of test shots....

8988269746_6a293e6f74_b.jpg

8987076631_d21e1ab139_b.jpg

12-50mm @ 50mm from memory. Thanks, I am pleased with them as well, often takes a bit longer to get anything decent with a new camera...

Thanks for the comment Huw.

I'm off to Singapore in November and thought I'd dig out a few from previous visits

16_zps59433eba.jpg

Boatquay_zpsffcbcfea.jpg

21_zps614b3ff8.jpg

2_zpsc60fa0db.jpg

Beautiful Glenn, really like the first one, bet you can't wait :)

Thanks Julian. I always enjoy Singapore, I'm planning to go again next year too. I once had to photograph the Singaporean Defence Minister. He is the President now, I bet he doesn't remember me :D

Here's one I took with the 35-100 and my brand new B+W big stopper filter, taken in the harsh afternoon sun this afternoon.

8998901011_dee4a72f2d_c.jpg

Greetings

I recently purchased S/H a Nikon 24-70 2.8 to use with my D90. The thought being that as I would probably get a FF body later this year it would be a good lens to have. I am now having second thoughts...

Firstly, I don’t think I am going to be comfortable with the weight I will have to lug around. That lens is a big un.
Secondly, the consumer FF (D600) seems to have some issues and I don’t need anything better specced than that.
Thirdly, I come from Olympus film cameras - I still have an OM1n and an OM2 so have some lenses I could make use of with a converter.
Fourthly, I like Olympus cameras! I feel no connection with the Nikon brand really, the D90 is the only one I have had.

The OMD looks like it would fulfil my needs weight wise. I have seen elsewhere on this thread the sort of lenses available in M4/3 but I don’t see any particular fast zooms. I don’t like using flash if avoidable. How usable is the 12-50 like in this respect?

Comments appreciated and thoughts of whether you think such a switch is a good idea.

Thanks

Greetings

The OMD looks like it would fulfil my needs weight wise. I have seen elsewhere on this thread the sort of lenses available in M4/3 but I don’t see any particular fast zooms. I don’t like using flash if avoidable. How usable is the 12-50 like in this respect?

Thanks

Greetings to this little corner of TP :)

Fast zooms - Panasonic 12-35mm and 35-100mm both f/2.8 throughout. I have them both and wouldn't be without them (y)

Fast zooms - Panasonic 12-35mm and 35-100mm both f/2.8 throughout. I have them both and wouldn't be without them (y)

+1. I also don't own them but they have the same equivalent full frame focal range as the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8's but they will be much lighter!

For those who do own one or both, how do they feel on the OM-D? Are they comfortable to carry all day and do they feel balanced on the camera?

Can anybody help with lens suggestions? I got the 12-50 kit lens and 12 f2 as well, I can't see me using the 12mm much and had a 50 and 90 equivalent with the fuji. The 45/1.8 looks like a no brainer but I'm torn between the 25/1.4 Panaleica and 20/1.7, any strong feelings about either on the OM-D?

Can anybody help with lens suggestions? I got the 12-50 kit lens and 12 f2 as well, I can't see me using the 12mm much and had a 50 and 90 equivalent with the fuji. The 45/1.8 looks like a no brainer but I'm torn between the 25/1.4 Panaleica and 20/1.7, any strong feelings about either on the OM-D?

If you've got the extra money and want to spend it the 25mm is the better lens and a great focal length, same as what you had on the Fuji.

The 75mm f/1.8 is a dream of a lens and it's my favorite to shoot with when taking head shots of my kids, or full length from a distance. But it's expensive and some won't like the 150mm equivalent focal length. I just love it though.

For the money the 45mm is a great lens as you say.

What type of things do you shoot?

The only reasons to recommend the 20 would be size and cost.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great lens - but the 25 is better and faster. It's just also bigger and pricier!

I have both. I only just got the 25mm but I'm keeping the 20mm for now in case I need a kit I can drop into a jacket pocket (the 25mm is too big for that).

The OM-D will be my carry around camera, it'll be used for photos of the kids, closeups of flowers/details and generally any thing that takes my fancy. I used the 35mm on the fuji the most and for anything wideangle/landscape I have a Sony A77 that I use on a tripod at ISO50.

Want to put together a kit to cover general shooting,bthe kit zoom will suffice for wideangle and closeups so need to over general shooting, low light and kids...

Here's one I took with the 35-100 and my brand new B+W big stopper filter, taken in the harsh afternoon sun this afternoon.

8998901011_dee4a72f2d_c.jpg

I like that, very nice! (y)

I've found I'm taking my camera out and using it much more since moving from a DSLR to the OM-D. I am loving it.

These are a few I've taken recently while the weather's been nice. The lenses were a mixture between the 12-50mm and the Panny 100-300mm.

Colin

1. Taken tonight at Hollingworth Lake, Littleborough

Hollingworth Lake by Phall82, on Flickr

2. Healey Dell, Rochdale

Healey Dell 3 by Phall82, on Flickr

3. In my back garden (100-300mm)

Squirrel 4 by Phall82, on Flickr

4. Littleborough (100-300mm)

Life Partners by Phall82, on Flickr

5. Into the sun (100-300mm)

Littleborough 19 by Phall82, on Flickr

Last edited:

100% plus they have the benefit of being splash and dust proof which is a nice match for the OM-D EM-5 body.

Right I've traded the 12/2, with a tinge of regret, for the 45/1.8 and some cash, got a remaining budget of £250 at the moment so don't know whether to save for the 25/1.4 or get the 20/1.7. Other option is a telephoto for zoo trips and the like, any recommendations?

I held out for an E-P5 to replace my E-P3 but cracked at the last minute and bought an OM-D instead and I'm more than a bit impressed. Slightly small in my hand (no grip, yet) and the F1 button is a bit awkward but otherwise terrific.

I particularly like the way you can set the AFL/FL button to spot metering. And manual focusing of legacy lenses is so much easier through the viewfinder. Using the art filter for a sort of focus peaking works surprisingly well too.

The biggest problem is that I now have an urgent and unexpected need for a Pany 12-35 & 35-100. Aaaaargh, I am a pathetic slave to GAS.

Right I've traded the 12/2, with a tinge of regret, for the 45/1.8 and some cash, got a remaining budget of £250 at the moment so don't know whether to save for the 25/1.4 or get the 20/1.7. Other option is a telephoto for zoo trips and the like, any recommendations?

Personally I think everyone should consider a long telephoto zoom - there'll always be occasions when you'll wish you'd bought one. The 40-150R is a little cracker. The 20 or the 25 is nice for street and general stuff. Do you have a wide to tele zoom?

Lindsay, it's a cruel irony that you should post immediately after mine because my purchase of the OM-D was heavily influenced by your blog and lovely work. I hold you almost entirely to blame for my latest and financially ruinous bout of GAS :)

Lindsay, it's a cruel irony that you should post immediately after mine because my purchase of the OM-D was heavily influenced by your blog and lovely work. I hold you almost entirely to blame for my latest and financially ruinous bout of GAS :)

Brilliant! :D:clap:

So it won't hurt to be even more of a bad influence on you and recommend the 35-100 for your portrait work. And the 12-35 (which I'll be getting next month). Then you might fancy the 100-300 for wildlife, but of course you must also get the 60mm f2.8 macro which is awesome (bugs will be coming out in force very soon) ..... and before I forget, what about a nice Billingham bag to carry things in .... there will also be room for the Metz flashes which work so well with the OMD. All sorted! :naughty:

paulcamcas said:
I held out for an E-P5 to replace my E-P3 but cracked at the last minute and bought an OM-D instead and I'm more than a bit impressed. Slightly small in my hand (no grip, yet) and the F1 button is a bit awkward but otherwise terrific.

I particularly like the way you can set the AFL/FL button to spot metering. And manual focusing of legacy lenses is so much easier through the viewfinder. Using the art filter for a sort of focus peaking works surprisingly well too.

The biggest problem is that I now have an urgent and unexpected need for a Pany 12-35 & 35-100. Aaaaargh, I am a pathetic slave to GAS.

Hi Paul
Glad to see you are getting on well with and enjoying using the OM - D

Brilliant! :D:clap:

So it won't hurt to be even more of a bad influence on you and recommend the 35-100 for your portrait work. And the 12-35 (which I'll be getting next month). Then you might fancy the 100-300 for wildlife, but of course you must also get the 60mm f2.8 macro which is awesome (bugs will be coming out in force very soon) ..... and before I forget, what about a nice Billingham bag to carry things in .... there will also be room for the Metz flashes which work so well with the OMD. All sorted! :naughty:

Well my OM-D + Pana 14-45 + Oly 45 are already safely ensconced in a Billingham Hadley Digital so I'm well on the way to achieving your master plan.

On the other hand, I reckon if I swap my two lenses for the 12-35 and 35-100 I'll be done. I'm not into bugs or wildlife and not nearly clever enough to use flashes. Come to think of it, I might hang on to the 45 though. Or keep what I've got and get a 75. I love GAS.

Last edited:

I've just invested in the 17 f/1.8 in preference to my old 25 f/1.4, I find that focal length just suits me a little better and the good news is Oly's new 17 is quite a performer, throughly recommended.
I've also now sold off my Panny 100-300 (excellent lens) and plumped for the new Oly 75-300 MkII (equally excellent), as I'm happy to loose a little speed for a more compact a lighter package.

An example from the weekend (OM-D and 75-300 MkII) above.

Hi Lindsay, thanks for your input. I have the 12-50 kit lens which I'm quite impressed with, I had seen your blog and from that looked at the 40-150, for the amount I shoot over 100mm(in 35mm terms) it may well do me...

Oh and mine is in a Billingham Hadley as well (y)

I've just invested in the 17 f/1.8 in preference to my old 25 f/1.4, I find that focal length just suits me a little better and the good news is Oly's new 17 is quite a performer, throughly recommended.
I've also now sold off my Panny 100-300 (excellent lens) and plumped for the new Oly 75-300 MkII (equally excellent), as I'm happy to loose a little speed for a more compact a lighter package.

An example from the weekend (OM-D and 75-300 MkII) above.

Stunning image Huw! Very impressive!

Since I fancy trying a grip but I'm too cheap to buy the fancy Oly one, I've just ordered one of these via Amazon USA. The reviews here and on Amazon seem pretty positive.

Has anyone already tried one? There's a bit of a waiting list so I have time to cancel if there is something better out there.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just joined the forum so I may well be asking something that's already been asked here a hundred times but here goes.

I bought a secondhand G2 a few months back as a backup camera but after using that I found the DSLR gear so heavy to carry around I've decided to move over to M43.

I'm getting the OMD but not sure wether to go with the kit or not. I have a Panasonic 20mm, which was my main walking around lens on the G2 and a Panasonic 14-45mm. Both the Panasonic 14-45mm and OMD kit lens seem pretty similar but I do like the idea, what with the slightly damp climate we have, of the weather proofing and although I don't take a lot of video the power zoom, I don't think the lens extends so much - 10mm difference.

So anyone have any thoughts as to what way to go.

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:
Stunning image Huw! Very impressive!

Thanks Marcia :)

Since I fancy trying a grip but I'm too cheap to buy the fancy Oly one, I've just ordered one of these via Amazon USA. The reviews here and on Amazon seem pretty positive.

Has anyone already tried one? There's a bit of a waiting list so I have time to cancel if there is something better out there.

Why not look out for a second hand HLD-6?
Mines pretty much always on my EM-5 either as the first part or both, very nice bit of kit.

Hi all,

Just joined the forum so I may well be asking something that's already been asked here a hundred times but here goes.

I bought a secondhand G2 a few months back as a backup camera but after using that I found the DSLR gear so heavy to carry around I've decided to move over to M43.

I'm getting the OMD but not sure wether to go with the kit or not. I have a Panasonic 20mm, which was my main walking around lens on the G2 and a Panasonic 14-45mm. Both the Panasonic 14-45mm and OMD kit lens seem pretty similar but I do like the idea, what with the slightly damp climate we have, of the weather proofing and although I don't take a lot of video the power zoom, I don't think the lens extends so much - 10mm difference.

So anyone have any thoughts as to what way to go.

Cheers,

Dave.

Welcome Dave :)
With regard to the kit, why not go for it, you could always resell it without losing much. Not only is it splash and dust proof but it has quite a useful macro function.
When I bought my OM-D I went for the 12-50 kit, my daughter now uses it with her E-PL2.

Now I've got the 12-35, 35-100 and 100-300, I feel I have all my needs taken care of.

Interested to see folks getting the new Oly 75-300 II, I find the 100-300 really sharp, comparable to my old Canon 100-400 L lens.

Back